Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Orchid

✩ My 10 tips for doll photography ✩

asianed

Love the tips! I use variations of these in what I do and I generally see doll photography as an extension of portrait photography. A lot of the same principles apply!

I generally like practicing with fixed focal length lenses if I can, like 35mm or 50mm lenses. It really forces me to move around change angles, and think about a shot before pushing the shutter. I've also been experimenting with other lenses and seeing the effects at various focal lengths.

For example, you can use the focal length to vastly change the background of a portrait. Here's an example:

26236667726_1428b9855a_z.jpg

26170160702_139b8b6c36_z.jpg

The first picture was shot at 18mm and the second shot at 35mm (both at f/1.8). The subject hasn't changed location between the two pictures but look approximately the same size. The difference is that I backed up a bit when taking the 35mm shot and was much closer on the 18mm shot. By using a wider focal length, I was able to "push" the background further back and make the subject look a lot larger. By going to 35mm, the background appears closer and the subject looks to be more a part of the action.

By playing with the perspective, you can change the way objects appear in the world and give different affects. By leaning towards the wide end, you can put stronger emphasis towards lines that head toward the horizon.

Using an ultrawide can further enhance this effect, making close-up objects look huge compared to something further away. This was shot using a 13mm focal length:

5995127497_e49aea7a2c_z.jpg

Focal length experimentation can be loads of fun!

marikamira

Very helpful tips! I'm just getting my first DD and this will be great to consider as I take photos of my new girl

At home: Kanna<3(Custom DDH-01 MDD NS)

*Seiya-kun is getting reshelled into the new SmD Eiji*

ions

Great guide, being new to photography I've taken quite a few notes for future photo shoots.

Every time I come across pictures of your dolls I can't help but stop scrolling for a few minutes and admire how adorable they are. That's not to mention those freckles, they really bring the cuteness to another level.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pictures in the future!

Error_lady

This was very helpful, thank you ^^

RaveOfNightmares
Love the tips! I use variations of these in what I do and I generally see doll photography as an extension of portrait photography. A lot of the same principles apply!

I generally like practicing with fixed focal length lenses if I can, like 35mm or 50mm lenses. It really forces me to move around change angles, and think about a shot before pushing the shutter. I've also been experimenting with other lenses and seeing the effects at various focal lengths.

For example, you can use the focal length to vastly change the background of a portrait. Here's an example:

The first picture was shot at 18mm and the second shot at 35mm (both at f/1.8). The subject hasn't changed location between the two pictures but look approximately the same size. The difference is that I backed up a bit when taking the 35mm shot and was much closer on the 18mm shot. By using a wider focal length, I was able to "push" the background further back and make the subject look a lot larger. By going to 35mm, the background appears closer and the subject looks to be more a part of the action.

By playing with the perspective, you can change the way objects appear in the world and give different affects. By leaning towards the wide end, you can put stronger emphasis towards lines that head toward the horizon.

Using an ultrawide can further enhance this effect, making close-up objects look huge compared to something further away. This was shot using a 13mm focal length:

I definitely have to second this. I almost exclusively use prime lenses for my girls, reserving my small handful of zooms for people or places where taking the time to switch primes or move around a lot for framing aren't feasible.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

Mitsuna

This is super useful! Thank you so much (*'▽'*)

Gothydolly

These were super helpful tips! I'm definitely going to use these next time I take photos.

Orchid

Thanks everyone for your comments!!! ^___^ I've updated the link to the post: now it's in my new website and I've changed some examples and text, I hope now is a bit more useful!

Thanks soo much

Thank you!! ^_^

Very interesting!!! I love my 50mm fixed focal length lens, I can't live without it! lol

Yeah, playing with the focal length is so funny, although lately I've been only using 50mm to 70mm because the perspective aberration is minimal and close to fashion photography style ^_^

Thanks for sharing your tips and experiences!

Very helpful tips! I'm just getting my first DD and this will be great to consider as I take photos of my new girl

Thank you so much! I hope you have fun with it ^_^

Great guide, being new to photography I've taken quite a few notes for future photo shoots.

Every time I come across pictures of your dolls I can't help but stop scrolling for a few minutes and admire how adorable they are. That's not to mention those freckles, they really bring the cuteness to another level.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pictures in the future!

Awww I'm so glad to read your comment! ♡ Thank you so much!

This was very helpful, thank you ^^

I'm happy to know that!

I definitely have to second this. I almost exclusively use prime lenses for my girls, reserving my small handful of zooms for people or places where taking the time to switch primes or move around a lot for framing aren't feasible.

Totally agree! ^_^

This is super useful! Thank you so much (*'▽'*)

Awww thank you! You're welcome! ~

These were super helpful tips! I'm definitely going to use these next time I take photos.

Thanks!! I'm so glad it was helpful!! ^____^ ♡

banner_orchid_dolls_web.png

Elys

Thank you for these tips!

Especially point 10 about the joints has led me to think about the shots I take a bit more, trying to make it more natural and neat-looking. I aso sometime try to cover up joints now as a part of the outfit (stockings, bracelets, gloves etc) to make the body/pose look more seamless.

DD Crew Kano Custom DDH-06 ∙∙∙ 2B DDdy ∙∙∙ 9S DDb
Obitsu Crew Zhi Jia Custom Tan AP Type-M

【  Flickr 】【 Instagram Twitter

Orchid
Thank you for these tips!

Especially point 10 about the joints has led me to think about the shots I take a bit more, trying to make it more natural and neat-looking. I aso sometime try to cover up joints now as a part of the outfit (stockings, bracelets, gloves etc) to make the body/pose look more seamless.

You're welcome! ^___^

Aye! That's a very subjective point to me, because I like to see the joints sometimes in my photos, but it's also funny to try to hide them!

werewolfisms

Thank you so much for these great tips! Your piece was super well written and easy to understand :-) and your photography is always so great, every time i see your photos they make me smile! 

spencer, he/him, doll dad to pero (DDH01) :classic_love:

moerunamida

Thank you so much for this. I alternate between using an old (10+ year) 8MP digital camera and my phone on my camera. I don't have photoshop and try to take pictures as clean as I can, because I don't want to add a bunch of filters to make them appear better. There is so much vocabulary to learn and techniques, but I find just forcing myself to get up and take pictures lets know what works and what doesn't. I bookmarked your tutorial. I always wondered what the term was for the fuzzy backgrounds I saw (bokeh). Now, to try to implement them!

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

sdrcow

Your work both behind the camera and online is always so inspiring. I follow you all over the internet and I'm so excited I just stumbled upon you here! (followed). Ha
Fantastic tips, I agree I didn't think about the eyebrows with my doll(s) either! Great tip. And fantastic English! I would think it's your first language from your post! :) 

cfx

I hope @Orchid won't mind me linking this nice youtube video of a photography talk she gave at an anime con:

• Like 2

bigpalebluejuice

Thanks for the list! I follow you on Instagram, and your photos are always so beautiful and full of character!

Orchid
On 6/11/2019 at 3:54 AM, werewolfisms said:

Thank you so much for these great tips! Your piece was super well written and easy to understand :-) and your photography is always so great, every time i see your photos they make me smile! 

I'm so happy to read this!! Thank you so much for your words! 😍

On 6/20/2019 at 10:21 PM, Deyja said:

Thank you so much for this. I alternate between using an old (10+ year) 8MP digital camera and my phone on my camera. I don't have photoshop and try to take pictures as clean as I can, because I don't want to add a bunch of filters to make them appear better. There is so much vocabulary to learn and techniques, but I find just forcing myself to get up and take pictures lets know what works and what doesn't. I bookmarked your tutorial. I always wondered what the term was for the fuzzy backgrounds I saw (bokeh). Now, to try to implement them!

You're welcome! I hope you had some time to practice doll photography 😛

On 10/20/2019 at 4:19 AM, sdrcow said:

Your work both behind the camera and online is always so inspiring. I follow you all over the internet and I'm so excited I just stumbled upon you here! (followed). Ha
Fantastic tips, I agree I didn't think about the eyebrows with my doll(s) either! Great tip. And fantastic English! I would think it's your first language from your post! :) 

Thank you very much dear!! 🙏 My english is a bit basic but sometimes I get some help from a very good friend of mine!! xP Anyway I'm very honored that you like my work 💜

On 10/20/2019 at 4:47 AM, cfx said:

I hope @Orchid won't mind me linking this nice youtube video of a photography talk she gave at an anime con:

Hahaha no prob!! And please forgive my english... I was so nervous!! 🙈🙈🙈 This was my very first speech in english and I'm used to be behind the camera, not in front lol Anyway I had a great time and I'm so proud to spread this hobby like this ^_^

On 10/21/2019 at 7:10 PM, Fushipa said:

Thanks for the list! I follow you on Instagram, and your photos are always so beautiful and full of character!

Awww thank you very much!! ^____^ 💜💜💜

• Like 2

cfx
16 hours ago, Orchid said:

Hahaha no prob!! And please forgive my english... I was so nervous!! 🙈🙈🙈 This was my very first speech in english and I'm used to be behind the camera, not in front lol Anyway I had a great time and I'm so proud to spread this hobby like this ^_^

You sounded just fine to me. I'd have been nervous too. 😓 You had a very nice audience though who were attentive and not disruptive, which I am sure helped.

Some of your Coco pictures on MFC a few years ago were one of the things that first made me pay attention to DDs.

shinkei

Thank you for these tips! I always love seeing your photos on Instagram. <3

Devonian

This is really useful, thank you for the guide!

PumpKing

Thanks for this tutorial!

I've used it a lot & linked it to others before. Much appreciated. :)

juni-fee

I love this tutorial!  So helpful and I love referencing it!