Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sasami04

Has anyone scared people with their DD?

Sasami04

I'm wondering if anyone has ever scared or creeped out people with their Dollfie Dream, either unintentionally or even intentionally! I know the "Normal people" find these dolls creepy sometimes ^.^; Hehe, but I'm interested in hearing some stories! :3

Noxxbunny

I actually just had one from this weekend! So I just bought a new head, and I has been working on it, so when my boyfriend came over, I kept it on my table, but turned it the other way so he wouldn't see the eyeholes. THAT already freaks him out. But the headcap was off and just sort of hanging out too.

Later on, he took notice to it and he casually mentioned something like "You split the head in half too?" and I explain that that's how you put the eyes in the head. That started to make him uncomfortable a bit, I think. But I wanted to maybe make him think it was sort of funny, so I grab the headcap and just kind of squish it. And he immediately got really squeamish and he flinched a bit. After I put it back, he jokingly went "The more I learn about your dolls, the less comfortable I think I am about them"

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

Cauldroness

Well, I have one of those DD-sized machine guns from Volks, so there was that one time my roommate came home to find a DD sitting on the back of the couch, pointing a machine gun at the front door...

(Thankfully roomie had a great sense of humor, after getting over the initial shock. )

• Haha 1

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Sasami04
I actually just had one from this weekend! So I just bought a new head, and I has been working on it, so when my boyfriend came over, I kept it on my table, but turned it the other way so he wouldn't see the eyeholes. THAT already freaks him out. But the headcap was off and just sort of hanging out too.

Later on, he took notice to it and he casually mentioned something like "You split the head in half too?" and I explain that that's how you put the eyes in the head. That started to make him uncomfortable a bit, I think. But I wanted to maybe make him think it was sort of funny, so I grab the headcap and just kind of squish it. And he immediately got really squeamish and he flinched a bit. After I put it back, he jokingly went "The more I learn about your dolls, the less comfortable I think I am about them"

Hahaha!!! That's hilarious! (Best of luck on that head, if you're doing a faceup)

Eiko82

I once heard a group of high school boys say that Rise was a 'voodoo doll' and to be careful not to be in the photo with her

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Sasami04
I once heard a group of high school boys say that Rise was a 'voodoo doll' and to be careful not to be in the photo with her

Haha! I saw a picture of Rise and she is cute, and different from a normal DD. She's from Persona, right?

Poofiemus

I've mentioned this on other threads, but I keep a spare hand in my purse so I can check scale on any potential props I might run into out and about. I've discovered my grandmother HATES that hand. . . . so I stick it on my finger and slowly wiggle my hand until she notices. XD She has such an exaggerated shudder reaction every time, I can't help doing it.

I also brought in my girls to work around Christmas, and set them up on the empty desk next to me for a day as a kind of diorama. (Stupidly, I didn't get a picture. ) I had Agatha putting Abby's head on the Christmas tree as a topper, Nanoha facepalming, and Miku wrapping Homura up in the lights. For the most part they were well received, though people kept saying that they would be wary around Miku with the way she was tying Homura up. XD Then again, most people didn't notice Abby's head until I pointed it out. . .

One coworker DID notice Abby's head and started asking questions about the dolls in general. I started talking about faceups, which then lead me to talk about the mods I did to Abby's head--sanding her eyeholes open a bit, some work on her mouth, lot of minor sanding mods basically. I was pretty casual about it, and then he started flinching. I didn't make the connection at first, and had to ask why. Apparently the sanding sounded kind of brutal to him, and I guess waving her severed head in front of him to point out what I'd changed just made it too morbid.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Amara77
Well, I have one of those DD-sized machine guns from Volks, so there was that one time my roommate came home to find a DD sitting on the back of the couch, pointing a machine gun at the front door...

(Thankfully roomie had a great sense of humor, after getting over the initial shock. )

This makes me laugh I should do something like that one day haha!

Poofie Puttung the head on the tree is awesome! I do the same thing with my hands bahahaha!

I live with only my daughter in a condo so space is an issue, however it's all my space so my kitchen as essentially become my craft room. When people come in they are not only assaulted by doll parts in various states I also make alpaca wigs, so there is hair all over the table, it's pretty gross when it's clumpy after a washing!

The best part of this is that when I make a wig I tie a plastic bag over the dolls head I usually put the head on a chop stick too so my table looks like Vlad the impaler's castle

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

Talolili

A few years ago I met another DD collector at our local mall and once we pulled out our DDs in the food court a few shoppers/passerbys were scared. One lady even stopped out of shock but we had a small conversation with her about the origin of the dolls. I think she left more open minded about them.

More recently, I attended Momocon and one person claimed my Chihaya was "Scary, but also cute!".

Thespian

I have a friend who is super afraid of dolls (he likes to tell me it'd be less creepy if I was into taxidermy and that my dolls will steal my soul), and I used to hide them whenever I sent him selfies or he came over. Now, I just leave them out. He still gets the shivers about them, even if he does admit my DD is pretty cute.

I tell him he's lucky that he never comes over when I have their parts laying around and I'm doing heavy modification

Kiyomi DDS DDH-06 🧡 Miyuki DDS DDH-06 🧡 Shiori DDS Mariko Summer Festival 🧡 Kanade DDDy DDH-07 🧡 Honoka DD DDH-09

Any pronouns are fine

Lore

Definitely wasn't trying to scare my ultra-conservative parents with my dolls, but I had to send all my dolls to my parents house in the States to avoid UK custom fees.

My brother agreed to inspect them for me just in case something went wrong.

Well, he just happened to be opening up the first box and was "playing around" (making fun of her enormous boobies and poseability) when my dad walks in....then quickly walks out after saying "WTF is your sister into this time??"

I got to hear all of this while I was talking to him on Skype.

Classic.

At Home:

DD Snow Miku, DD Luka, DDS Makoto, DD Airy, DDS KizunaAI

Sasami04
I have a friend who is super afraid of dolls (he likes to tell me it'd be less creepy if I was into taxidermy and that my dolls will steal my soul), and I used to hide them whenever I sent him selfies or he came over. Now, I just leave them out. He still gets the shivers about them, even if he does admit my DD is pretty cute.

I tell him he's lucky that he never comes over when I have their parts laying around and I'm doing heavy modification

Taxidermy is the thing that's creepy. LOL I can understand why doll parts would be scary. Luckily I've been collecting play dolls (but I am probably going to get rid of them) so I'm used to parts

rukitron

The eyes put casuals off. I think the general problem is they don't show up in photos very well unless you do close ups. It also helps to use smaller pupils so the irises are more visible.

berettapunk

my wife personally doesnt care for the hobby. says its creepy a guy has "dolls".

i have many friends who love the girls tho, but i do have one who cant stand dolls and it creeps him out when i bring em around. which i like to have fun with.

whenever i take the girls to cons its one of two reactions, people adore them or people are completely creeped out by them. of which i decide i cannot be friends with them at that point

OMG WHERE ARE THEY ALL COMING FROM?!?!

Sasami04
my wife personally doesnt care for the hobby. says its creepy a guy has "dolls".

i have many friends who love the girls tho, but i do have one who cant stand dolls and it creeps him out when i bring em around. which i like to have fun with.

whenever i take the girls to cons its one of two reactions, people adore them or people are completely creeped out by them. of which i decide i cannot be friends with them at that point

Heh, to be honest, my friends aren't really "creeped out" to say the least of the pictures I show them, (I don't have a DD yet) They're just not very interested. And IMO, it's not creepy that a guy has dolls. It's a hobby! XD

Proctor of the Dawn

Not technically a DD, but I brought my Super Dollfie with me to a screening of Annabelle, just for kicks.

The looks on the faces of the people in the audience behind me were priceless.

katnaper
Not technically a DD, but I brought my Super Dollfie with me to a screening of Annabelle, just for kicks.

The looks on the faces of the people in the audience behind me were priceless.

I read this and burst out laughing. That would have been pretty hilarious to watch, honestly. Well, I guess not for the people who are creeped out by dolls but then again, why would you watch Annabelle if you are. I love my DDs but I wouldn't watch Annabelle (I get nightmares from watching horror movies so I stay away from them. ).

Anyway, back to the topic. I have a few co-workers that are totally creeped out by dolls and it doesn't matter how cute I insist the doll is, they just won't look at it. Which, I don't understand because her kid has Monster High dolls. I think the scale and how much closer to 'reality' some of the dolls are scare them? Or likely, the eyes. I'm not sure. Well, I don't invite people to my house unless its really close friends and for the most part they're okay with the dolls. My co-workers at my new department are older and are less scared of the dolls with one even commenting that its amazing how beautiful they could be.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

amarilian

I mostly get weird looks when taking pictures. I had one of my dolls at the beach and was trying to stand her up without a stand, as I for got it, and she was in a bikini. This lady came up to me and asked if my doll was my girlfriend. I told the lady no, but that I'm married thank you, and I have two kids. The lady just smiled and walked off. The other thing is people ask lots of questions, mostly are the dresses etc handmade, and how much they cost.

These are the dolls you're looking for, no you cannot haz them they r mine:)

CharBrass

I took my dollfie dream Yoko to a comic con, a young girl came running up to me excited because she really wanted a DD, her mother's face in the background however was priceless, she looked horrified haha! I wonder if she let her daughter get one in the end?

At Home: Yoko, Asuna, Nanoha, Kos-Mos, Nia, Fate and Kurisu

Incoming: Saber Extra

Ie-Aster
This lady came up to me and asked if my doll was my girlfriend.

O__o what the he...ck sort of thing is that to say to someone? I can't understand what she would be thinking to actually go up to you and say that...sounds like you handled it well though.

Personally, one reason I don't take photos outside unless I'm on a family member's property or somewhere really isolated is that people staring at me makes me very frightened and feeling that I need to be on the defense >__< And if someone came up to me and asked some sort of "Is that doll your girlfriend/baby/etc" question I'd probably be unable to think of a reasonable person response and instead ask them if they had been partaking of recreational pharmaceuticals or something equally offensive, which is... not really good P.R. for the doll hobby.

As for me frightening others...my best friend, who is actually the one who encouraged me to get into 1/3 dolls even though he has no experience thereof, is getting increasingly freaked out by my poor floating head DD, Mei-chan. He thinks it looks like she's been murdered and dissected. >___< Last night he made it clear that he thinks I should get her a body, stat. xD now if I could only get him to pay for it :p

• Like 1

At home: Mei (DDP Lucy custom), Aku (DDB Takane custom)

En route: L. (DD Matoi)

Noxxbunny

O__o what the he...ck sort of thing is that to say to someone? I can't understand what she would be thinking to actually go up to you and say that...sounds like you handled it well though.

Personally, one reason I don't take photos outside unless I'm on a family member's property or somewhere really isolated is that people staring at me makes me very frightened and feeling that I need to be on the defense >__< And if someone came up to me and asked some sort of "Is that doll your girlfriend/baby/etc" question I'd probably be unable to think of a reasonable person response and instead ask them if they had been partaking of recreational pharmaceuticals or something equally offensive, which is... not really good P.R. for the doll hobby.

While there are the stray oddballs out there who somehow don't mean harm by that kind of statement...they were probably just out to try to mock someone. Now THAT'S something I don't understand.

I don't take photos outside for the same reason. I'm too anxious for it. But back in high school, I used to always carry some sort of plush around. It just made me feel better to. Whenever I'd get that stray idiot who comes up like "Is that your baby?", the trick is to simply turn it back on them so they feel like the idiot for even invading your personal space to begin with.

For me, all it would take was a sharp eyebrow raise and "Uh...no. This is a stuffed animal.". When they come up expecting you to be crazy and you flip it on them and look at them like they're the crazy one, it really throws them off. Essentially...use your tone and not your words so they don't even have anything to complain about. It's too direct of an answer to work around. I didn't have any occasions where that didn't almost immediately cause them to walk off looking rather confused. Whatever weird kick they were looking to get out of me, I did not give to them.

I'd probably do the same thing if I ever were to do doll photos outside. Seeing how there's a 85-90% chance that my actual boyfriend would be around during such a thing, I think I'd get a kick out of that scenario.

"Is that your boyfriend??" and then just casually going "Oh, you mean that guy standing right there. Yeah, that's him." and then he'd probably just wave The other 10% of the time, they would get the usual response of "That's a doll." Of course...this is all assuming that both my boys wouldn't just be mistaken for girls in the first place.

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

sklurk

on comments from people saying it's weird that guys have dolls.

"It's 60cm tall action figure."

Most of my friends know I'm an artist. I've yet to bring them to work though (I work in animation) I think people would be pretty even keeled there about them. I'm into a lot of nerdy things so when I mention dolls, anyone that has known me or my nerdy endeavors, it doesn't come as a huge surprise.

I did have one friend actually say that DDs aren't creepy, they're cute anime girls, you can't get creeped out by cute anime girls. lol.

some resins really do have a high creep factor though. They have pretty evil looking faceups. Doesn't help that almost all the military uniforms people make them wear are all nazi cut uniforms.

sinclair
"It's 60cm tall action figure."

That's what I told my 12 year old son when he saw my Miku for the 1st time. But no one that has seen it has been scared. As for taking photos in public, I haven't yet. Like others, too chicken to see how the public responds. But if I was with a group of other DD parents, then I'd have no issues being out and about. I'd even think it'd be a blast. Must be safety in numbers thing.

As for the comment about is that your girlfriend, well, I wouldn't have been so simple in my answer. I've had enough happen in my life I might say the following if I was feeling bold (Or upset.), which is full of half truths;

"No, she is a gift from my wife that I received a week after a miscarriage due to the chemo she was getting for the cancer she died from 2 days after giving me this doll. Girlfriend, no, maybe a daughter, sure. But most definitely a reminder of the good times of my past that helps full the hole in my heart."

Pretty sure that'd shut them up, and maybe even cause them to think before opening their mouths in the future. Otherwise I'd do the I've got a wife and 3 kids reply as I point to them playing on the beach.

jazijaz

I have gotten different responses from friends but all my family love my dolls (except for blythes...they have said out loud "those big headed dolls are creepy")

But none of them have been rude about it. I have gotten more positive responses than bad and when I say bad it means indifference or silence. My friends don't really care and when they do they only say the usual "that's creepy" stuff or that I'm like a little kid. Then I tell them that they are art dolls not meant for kids and they stay silent.

The good responses are the "awww they're so cute!!" or "I want one!" comments and I love them because their eyes shine when they say this so it means they are being sincere about it . I had one friend who recognized my DDs as "anime dolls" and she said about them "those anime boys are so cool" which made me so happy because all my DDs have been girl sculpts I turned into boys and I didn't tell her their genders. The fact that they look like anime boys to outsiders is mission accomplished!

As for strangers, I don't take out my dolls but my family really love my dolls and my brother brought one his girl friends into my room to show her my dolls. She was smiling and saying 'awww" but that's it.

I have yet to show my dolls to my little nieces and nephews. I'm really looking forward to it to see if they will like them. My mom says that if they see my room they will go crazy because it is full with dolls (but I don't think they will like my living dead dolls ). I am willing to buy them bjds or DDs if they like them and in that way I will have someone close to me to share my hobby with!