Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Kitsune

Nier Automata x Dollfie Dream

whitewhale

Hey all, I’m genuinely curious, regardless of if I want it: Why does the dddy bust that 2B comes with have no nipple? 
I see that the default bust comes with it on Volks’ site.

Edited by whitewhale

Jezrah
51 minutes ago, whitewhale said:

Hey all, I’m genuinely curious, regardless of if I want it: Why does the dddy bust that 2B comes with have no nipple? 

Certain busts come in a "flat" variation, so that they don't look cold when wearing clothing, because sculpted nipples stick out. This is only readily purchasable for the DD L bust, though, so it's not something you can currently get for a DDdy body, aside from the one that comes with 2B.

• Like 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, whitewhale said:

Pretty much what @Jezrah said. I would add that it's often done to make the clothing hang better, and / or because the license holder may require it as a part of approving the design. Before Volks did flat busts for the L bust, a lot of people sanded the nipples off because they didn't like the way they protruded through the clothing.

To me it really boils down to do you want her to have them or not? If you want her to have them, then buy a bust that has them and swap it out with her original. You could probably defray the cost, or even take advantage of the lack of commercial availability to make a profit, by selling the original flat bust in the marketplace.

I happen to think flat busts look weird. I mean barring a medical condition people have nipples, and not having them is a bit akin to not having a nose; but of course nipples are normally hidden under clothing so the lack is less noticeable than a missing schnoz.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Jezrah
6 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I happen to think flat busts look weird. I mean barring a medical condition people have nipples, and not having them is a bit akin to not having a nose; but of course nipples are normally hidden under clothing so the lack is less noticeable than a missing schnoz.

I am one who sanded the nipples off one of my DDdy girls, because she has a more conservative personality. It doesn't really bother me because she's never naked, but if it did I would just blush the area where her nipples used to be to give the illusion without the protrusion. This is also a natural look, because nipples don't always stick out 100% of the time.

• Like 1

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Jezrah said:

This is also a natural look, because nipples don't always stick out 100% of the time.

I think that would still look off to me, because even without protrusion there should still be some texture there. I have very few L bust dolls, and some of my L busts like Miki and Luka have been swapped with an M. The slight bump where the nipples are on the M, S, and SS is perfectly fine for making the bust look natural. By contrast the flat S on my Smartdolls looks weird.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to be critical of those who don't want them, the doll belongs to the owner and the owner can customize as they see fit. What I am really getting at is if the OP wants to swap her bust there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Jezrah
22 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

What I am really getting at is if the OP wants to swap her bust there is nothing wrong with that.

I agree, and I hope I didn't come across as argumentative. I only meant to provide additional options.

BeyondTime
32 minutes ago, Jezrah said:

I hope I didn't come across as argumentative.

You didn’t. I worried I might have come off as critical of folks who don’t want such detailed nipples of their dolls, and that wasn’t my intention. 

mayaiincho

So a response from Volks arrived today. They are asking me to send my 2B head to Volks USA (I do live in the USA, I imagine if you lived in not USA, they may ask you to send it volks internation)for a visual inspection and depending on their decision, they'll do what is necessary.

Edited by mayaiincho
  • Like 1

looking for - , Marisa Short Wig, full set Beatrice or default face + eyes & Sasara Fullset or default face + eyes.

whitewhale
9 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Pretty much what @Jezrah said. I would add that it's often done to make the clothing hang better, and / or because the license holder may require it as a part of approving the design. Before Volks did flat busts for the L bust, a lot of people sanded the nipples off because they didn't like the way they protruded through the clothing.

To me it really boils down to do you want her to have them or not? If you want her to have them, then buy a bust that has them and swap it out with her original. You could probably defray the cost, or even take advantage of the lack of commercial availability to make a profit, by selling the original flat bust in the marketplace.

I just took a look at Volks' Japan/International site and the Volksusa store. Surprisingly, even with DD-f3 being out for a while, there are no bust-parts of either kind (nipple and flat) for DDdy available. So, I'm assuming that even if I wanted to exchange the bust, I wouldn't be able to.

Or perhaps a DDdyIII bust is compatible with the DD-f3 skeleton? If it is, would you know if there are any internal bust differences between busts made for the two different skeletons?

Edited by whitewhale

BeyondTime

Or perhaps a DDdyIII bust is compatible with the DD-f3 skeleton?

That's exactly it.

They call it out on the detail page for the busts: Corresponding size: DDdy Base Body, DDdy Base Body III, DDdy Base Body (DD-f3)

2 hours ago, mayaiincho said:

So a response from Volks arrived today. They are asking me to send my 2B head to Volks USA (I do live in the USA, I imagine if you lived in not USA, they may ask you to send it volks internation)for a visual inspection and depending on their decision, they'll do what is necessary.

That's actually pretty cool that they gave you that option. I was thinking they would make you send it to Japan.

Edited by BeyondTime

oyashiro

After having sent inquiries to both Volks' International and US websites, I'm in the same boat as mayaiincho

They offered to have me send it to the store up in Gardena, and I am honestly pretty relieved. While I would have paid to ship the head back to Japan, it's a lot nicer to not have to pay international shipping (...again). 

I'll probably send mine out within the next two days and will report back when as I get updates :)

• Like 1

whitewhale

Actually, just one last question here (not sure if this has been asked): Does anyone have an English copy of the instructions? Does it even exist?

I bought from the international store, so if the English version does exist, I'd rather not rely on a semi-unreliable translation through Google Translate.

Edited by whitewhale

BeyondTime

Does anyone have an English copy of the instructions?

Which instructions?

whitewhale
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

Which instructions?

The manual that comes with 2B. 

BeyondTime
1 minute ago, whitewhale said:

The manual that comes with 2B. 

Ah, ok. You were taking about busts earlier so I wasn't sure if you were asking about instructions for swapping the bust.

Typically the instruction booklet is in Japanese, even if you purchase through Volks USA. If you're having trouble assembling her my suggestion would be to post a question either here or in the Q&A thread. I'd say adding photos would be a plus, but you won't be able to post photos here yet.

People are usually more than happy to provide answers.

whitewhale
2 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Ah, ok. You were taking about busts earlier so I wasn't sure if you were asking about instructions for swapping the bust.

Typically the instruction booklet is in Japanese, even if you purchase through Volks USA. If you're having trouble assembling her my suggestion would be to post a question either here or in the Q&A thread. I'd say adding photos would be a plus, but you won't be able to post photos here yet.

People are usually more than happy to provide answers.

Ah I did have trouble assembling her. Specifically her black upper shirt piece with the side hooks. But I’ve already finished dressing her up. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss any warnings.

For instance, since I’m new to the hobby, I didn’t realize the flat pieces inside the hands were supposed to face the back of the hand until I read the English DD manual!

BeyondTime
2 minutes ago, whitewhale said:

Ah I did have trouble assembling her. Specifically her black upper shirt piece with the side hooks. But I’ve already finished dressing her up. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss any warnings.

The only Volks product that reliably seems to come with English instructions is their Dream Rescue stain remover when it's purchased through Volks USA.

Volks USA does sometimes post videos explaining how to do things, but outside of those cases you need to rely on the pictures in the Japanese instructions.

mayaiincho

I know I slightly damages her face mask because I couldn't read the instructions. 

looking for - , Marisa Short Wig, full set Beatrice or default face + eyes & Sasara Fullset or default face + eyes.

Tira
On 6/16/2020 at 12:27 PM, whitewhale said:

To add onto what other people have said, in 2B's case I suspect it might be because they would affect the fit around the cut-out on her top, or not be adequately covered.

electricalcorvid

Congrats to all of the shipping notices! I checked my 2B's head and noticed a very small superficial crack. Thankfully it doesn't interfere with her head at all, but it did have the pinkish staining on the inside.

I thought I'd share one of the outfits I commissioned several months ago -- this is the casting gear (female version) from the Nier Automata raid (Copied Factory) in Final Fantasy XIV. I had the male version made for 9S as well.

50026370113_8b85303c1f.jpgEa-v9XOUMAAHosG by the.linea.alba, on Flickr

• Like 8

bigpalebluejuice
22 minutes ago, electricalcorvid said:

Congrats to all of the shipping notices! I checked my 2B's head and noticed a very small superficial crack. Thankfully it doesn't interfere with her head at all, but it did have the pinkish staining on the inside.

I thought I'd share one of the outfits I commissioned several months ago -- this is the casting gear (female version) from the Nier Automata raid (Copied Factory) in Final Fantasy XIV. I had the male version made for 9S as well.

50026370113_8b85303c1f.jpgEa-v9XOUMAAHosG by the.linea.alba, on Flickr

This photo is gorgeous! 2B is so beautiful, definitely regretting not putting in an order for her now!!!

• Like 1

Beani

@electricalcorvid Wow she looks amazing in that dress. Like others, I hope to see more photos of it! I especially love the detail under the skirt. 

Edited by Beani
  • Like 1

Innocentsake

Glad to see that Volks USA is replacing the very badly cracked heads that are being sent to them. Thankfully mine was spared from having cracks in the neck hole, but there were things about her face-up that really bothered me. One of her lower lashes was painted slightly lower than the other so then I couldn't unsee it when I looked at her. One of the lines above her eye was not done very well. And lastly her beauty mark wasn't filled in all the way, blank in the middle of the beauty mark 😅

I was planning on getting her a custom face-up a little bit later, but all those small things bothered me enough to send her to a local artist. Maiya_ng on IG just finished her face-up and she looks so gorgeous. I am excited to bring her back home this weekend. Photo attached was taken by Maiya_ng 💖

IMG_20200622_013826_228.jpg

Edited by Innocentsake
  • Like 8