Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

koolgalblue

DDh-06!/KoolGalBlue Faceup progress!

koolgalblue

I'm starting a timeline of progression! It's not my first faceup, not by a long shot, but I think that it;s good enough to at least post.

I'm fully open to critique!

dollfie_dream_faceup__by_koolgalblue-dbooetw.jpg

Currently at home: Kagamine Len, Kirito, 06 head, Akira head.

buncho

Is this all watercolor pencil??

This has a super unique and stylized look to it that I really like. The varied lines give it an almost 'living feel'-- if you've ever played Hotel Dusk, the characters are drawn in such a way that the lineart is always 'buzzing' slightly-- it's really eye catching and this reminds me of that a lot. I especially like the eyebrows and the upper and inner lashes The blushing is very nice.

I'm not a pro so I'm only going to offer this one point of criticism (and really, what matters is if you're pleased with the outcome!): sometimes it's nice to have some 'breaks' in color. Maybe a small separation between the upper and lower lashes? I feel like that can be kind of worked around here because of the way the pencil looks; if this was solid paint it could have given her 'raccoon eyes'.

Over all, I think you did a great job, and I'd love to see more!

koolgalblue

Thank you so much! That really means a lot! I am looking forward to tracking any potential growth!

Oni-Chan

Very good job!

Im no pro, but i agree that a small break between the upper and lower lashes would break up any raccoon eye looks.

But!! on this girl, the full round of lashes actually works, teamed up with the eye crease and the thick brows its a really unique look!

Hopefully, this comes off as constructive, not negative, but her eyebrow is a bit raised? its a cute look, but was that your intention? If i was doing faceups I'd try using a ruler to get the starting points of each eyebrow around the same level/distance apart then free hand it

Keep at it though!!! looking forward to your future faceups!!

I have more dollfies than my age in years *×*

koolgalblue

Thank you! Her eyebrow is uneven, and thank you for the tip! I actually never thought about that before!

koolgalblue

ddh_06_re_faceup_by_koolgalblue-dbp75u5.jpg

I just re-did her faceup today! I like this one a lot better, but I still think I have a long way to go! I would have gotten to it sooner, but I had some life stuff pop up T.T. I'm hoping to do at least a faceup a week so I can progress faster!

(Edited to fix picture)

Nikn

She looks quite lovely! And the progress between faceups is amaizing, I hope you can keep up the "once faceup a week" plan.

I believe that if you lowered a bit the eyelid lines, she'll look more sweet

koolgalblue
She looks quite lovely! And the progress between faceups is amaizing, I hope you can keep up the "once faceup a week" plan.

I believe that if you lowered a bit the eyelid lines, she'll look more sweet

Thank you! I'm wiping her faceup today, and I'm planning to have her done either today or Thursday! I'll keep the eyelid placement in line!

koolgalblue

weekly_faceup__3_by_koolgalblue-dbpmh03.jpg

Third weekly faceup! Sadly, my dog chewed up my dark brown pencil, so I was only able to get her eyelashes this dark, but I kinda like it.

As always, constructive criticism is fully welcome!

Nikn

The improvement between first attemp and now is amaizing! Great work

As for the coments, I think is a good faceup, but depending on what you were going for my coments would help or not.

I think that if you're going for a sweet look, the eyebrows should be both at the same high than the right one. Also, the hair starts like this \ but maybe i'd look more natural if it was like this / ?

the eyelashes look great in my opinion, and I see that you lowered the eyelid line, maybe next time you could try a smaller line, or a single one instead of two? I think it changes a lot the expresion of a faceup.

Also next time you could try drawing a bit longer the smile? Or are you happy with it? I'm suggesting it because is looks like its similar (if not the same) as in the other faceups.

I'm looking forward to see your next faceup

koolgalblue

Thank you so much! I am trying for a more sweet/innocent look for her, I'll try to curve her eyebrows a little more to convey that! I'll use some of your tips and see how they turn out next time! Thank you ^^

I'm looking forward to (hopefully, maybe) getting better! I'm also gonna try the Volks ZM spray. My current sealant hasn't protected against stains :/, so, sadly, her face does have faint marks on her forehead from her previous eyebrows

buncho

I love all of these variations so far, and look forward to seeing more! One thing I recommend trying when practicing is seeing how you can use the face's contours to change the expression or feel of the face a little. I think a skilled faceup artist is able to make a few very different looking faces on one sculpt-- the 03 is pretty versatile and is probably a good example of this.

I have 9 girls and I have done 6 (soon to be 7 or 8) of their faceups, and only with one of them have I used ZM spray. I had a can that somebody gave me because they weren't using it, and since I was running low on MSC I just went with it. I don't think I'll ever be using it again. It behaved really strangely and left kind of a gloss on some parts of the faceup (which are a. luckily hidden by her wig and b. sort of fit with her character; she's an icicle woman). I found it really difficult to blush because it didn't take to color as well and didn't color evenly, and when I'd try to do my pencil layer that helps guide me in painting the doll's lashes, the pencil would never give me a sharp line, no matter how thin I made the point. It was very frustrating. People talk about MSC having a lot of 'tooth' to it that helps to grip pigment and I definitely agree with this statement. This is all just one experience though, so your milage may vary on this. There could have been a myriad of factors that contributed to the sealant acting this way, although I try to keep my faceup conditions pretty consistent.

How much are you priming the head with before you start the faceup? I usually give it two or three sprays before starting my blush work, and then do separate layers for pencil and paint. Total it ends up usually having 5-6 layers of sealant, which may be excessive, I honestly don't know.

Sorry for this essay of a post!

koolgalblue

Oh no! I thought the ZM spray would be better since Volks made it specifically for their dolls :/ oh well....

I've been consistently using 3 layers of protection for my faceups. If the sealant is being too weird, I can just use it for those first three, and then use my other sealant, as it has a lot of tooth! I'm kinda excited to try it!

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try to do some more with my next faceup

koolgalblue

weekly_faceup__4_by_koolgalblue-dbq6uh3.jpg

Tada! the next faceup! The next one I do is gonna be more halloween themed. To be honest, the ZM spray isn't too bad It applies like my old sealant, which I like, the true test is removing it, which is really what I hated about my last sealant.

*edited to fix picture*

koolgalblue

weekly_faceup__5_by_koolgalblue-dbrwuos.jpg?1

I'm back from the dead!!!

Sorry I missed a week, I was busy with con, and then making up homework T.T

But, as promised, another faceup! Keeping up with the theme of the season, which is to be something that you're not normally, I decided to not only do something that I would never personally do (The lipstick) but I also did this in acrylics! I might continue to do face ups this way, but I'd definitely need a new tiny brush, mine's frayed :/

As always, constructive criticism is always welcome!

Hope you guys enjoy my future (hopefully) progress!

Tiriaq

What kind of pencil are you using? I want to try make the face for my Pure Neemo first as test

then seal it?

koolgalblue

I use watercolor pencils, both prismacolor and derwent. And yes, you generally seal after you feel that the layer is done. Plus, three to four times before the faceup even starts to both prime the head, and to prevent any staining.

Tiriaq

oh so many times, thanks!! I have some good brand sealing somewhere and I have to figure out how those names translate to Dutch and see if I have such pencils

koolgalblue
oh so many times, thanks!! I have some good brand sealing somewhere and I have to figure out how those names translate to Dutch and see if I have such pencils

No problem! I can't wait to see your work! I just love seeing new faceup artists!

koolgalblue

weekly_faceup__6_by_koolgalblue-dbsk51n.jpg

The sixth faceup! I really love this one! I was trying to go for a colder, more wintery look. She looks so sweet!

Constructive criticism is highly encouraged! I hope you guys enjoy!

(edited because I can't count T.T)

koolgalblue

weekly_faceup__7_by_koolgalblue-dbtc8ql.jpg

Back with my 7th faceup! Tada!! It's a different head! I had been practicing before I did a faceup on my Akira head, and I'm pretty proud with her. I'm confident I could get more stable lines with some MSC instead of my current spray!

Feedback is always welcome, and actively encouraged!

(P.S. Would anyone be interested in free-cheaply priced faceups so I could build up a portfolio?)

Anna-neko

her lips looks lovely, but a lil confused on the purple .. eyebrows? Why are they so high and so far apart....

koolgalblue
her lips looks lovely, but a lil confused on the purple .. eyebrows? Why are they so high and so far apart....

Yes, they're eyebrows

They're higher and farther apart to make her look more innocent and immature, and they're purple because her hair color is purple and it's a pet peve of mine when hair and eyebrows don't match

koolgalblue

faceup__8_by_koolgalblue-dbw5ehn.jpg

Tada! Guess whose back from finals? This girl!

I've finally gotten a day to do faceups!

As always, I'm always accepting criticism (Asking for it at this point, I'd really like to improve!)

Hope you guys like it!

Bellatrix

Everything that follows is my personal opinion, which is not meant to disturb or offend you, but only to offer a point of view given by another artist

I really like the fact that you always wipe your face up away and start again: that is a great way to learn and practice. Also, feeling attached to your works too much stops you from trying new things, and reinvent your style. Well done about that.

About the face ups, I can actually see an improvement from your very first face up, but I personally feel that something is still wrong: the colours are not balanced, and the eyebrows are often asymmetrical, same goes for the eyelashes. Speaking of which, the base shape is very neat and defined, but the single eyelashes aren't well balanced.

I suggest you to do several layers with different colors, starting from the lighter to get to the darkest. Seal every layer after it is just perfect: I always seal my heads 5/10 times in total.

I also feel to advice you to use Derwent watercolour pencils (which are the ones I use), since they are very performing on the vinyl surface, and always make the tip super sharp, to make thin and neat lines.

I remember my first face ups were terrible! But I am pretty proud on how they look now: practise makes everything perfect! And I am sure you will improve more and more!

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩