Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
taekos

Doll stand good for photgraphy

taekos

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good doll stand or similar I can buy to use for photography. I imagine I would need one. I saw in an older thread that a doll that I have (Mirai) has a socket installed for a discrete stand? Does anyone know what's that about? Also that thread was three years ago and I bought my doll less than a week ago so....

Sniiksnak

Mirai should have come with an adjustable telescopic stand. If she didn’t you should contact culture Japan about it.

taekos
Mirai should have come with an adjustable telescopic stand. If she didn’t you should contact culture Japan about it.

But I got her from the Volks USA website

cfx

Just to clear up any possible confusion: There is a doll named Mirai for both Smart Doll and Dollfie Dream. The Smart Doll one has a socket in her lower back that a stand plugs into; when you buy a Smart Doll new it comes with a stand. Volks' Dollfie Dream Mirai is like any other Dollfie and does not come with a stand.

For Dollfie Dream, the three stands I see mentioned the most are Volks own metal ones, the Cool Cat stands, and the Alice's Collection's "Invisible" stand. The latter is apparently nice for photography since it's easier to hide.

Stands to be avoided are the Volks plastic one and the similar one from Obitsu. These are basically giant figma stands and really aren't strong or durable enough to hold these large dolls.

There's some discussion of the Volks and Coolcat stands in the last couple of pages of this thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14914&start=520 including some questions I asked. I haven't bought any stands yet but I am likely getting the Volks ones. I think the only shortcoming to the Volks metal stands is the little plastic clamp which can break but at least they sell replacements fairly cheaply.

You generally want a "SD" sized stand.

Some stands have a threaded hole to mount on a tripod which can be useful for photography. The thin bases of metal stands mean the doll doesn't have to have both feet on the stand while for the acrylic bases they typically do. Clamp stands that go around the waist hold the doll securely but are harder to remove the doll from and harder to hide; saddle stands only work well if they can be hidden under skirts. In other words, there's always tradeoffs.

Alice's link: http://www.acbjd.com/invisable-doll-stand-p-8630.html?cPath=145&zenid=a4bbcf1410a86e2908b7a1e652869738

Coolcat link: http://us.sk-coolcat.com/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=185699

Sniiksnak

ah, I see. Mirai from smart doll by Danny Choo have the socket in the back. Volks doesn’t.!Volks has their own stands and third party stands. Dollfie Dream stands are not that discreet, they come in the c style or saddle style.

taekos
Just to clear up any possible confusion: There is a doll named Mirai for both Smart Doll and Dollfie Dream. The Smart Doll one has a socket in her lower back that a stand plugs into; when you buy a Smart Doll new it comes with a stand. Volks' Dollfie Dream Mirai is like any other Dollfie and does not come with a stand.

For Dollfie Dream, the three stands I see mentioned the most are Volks own metal ones, the Cool Cat stands, and the Alice's Collection's "Invisible" stand. The latter is apparently nice for photography since it's easier to hide.

Stands to be avoided are the Volks plastic one and the similar one from Obitsu. These are basically giant figma stands and really aren't strong or durable enough to hold these large dolls.

There's some discussion of the Volks and Coolcat stands in the last couple of pages of this thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14914&start=520 including some questions I asked. I haven't bought any stands yet but I am likely getting the Volks ones. I think the only shortcoming to the Volks metal stands is the little plastic clamp which can break but at least they sell replacements fairly cheaply.

You generally want a "SD" sized stand.

Some stands have a threaded hole to mount on a tripod which can be useful for photography. The thin bases of metal stands mean the doll doesn't have to have both feet on the stand while for the acrylic bases they typically do. Clamp stands that go around the waist hold the doll securely but are harder to remove the doll from and harder to hide; saddle stands only work well if they can be hidden under skirts. In other words, there's always tradeoffs.

Alice's link: http://www.acbjd.com/invisable-doll-stand-p-8630.html?cPath=145&zenid=a4bbcf1410a86e2908b7a1e652869738

Coolcat link: http://us.sk-coolcat.com/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=185699

Very very informative! Thank you!

And sorry for the confusion, I should have been more specific

sinclair

I plan on getting an Alice's Collection stand or few at some point. But until I do, I have gotten doll stands from Hobby Lobby. Their biggest metal stand (9 inches) is only like $3 <link>, and it works pretty well. I'm sure it's made to go around the waist of a Barbie, but I put it around my DD's leg and slide it all the way up and it holds them pretty well. Here's one helping Keiko to stand on my desk.

e1AUG5mSBuv7Ow97YKxLrQIylOG70jMubHVt621V8JZZ9RiWIzO1sA9UgwOGEzlzTRRzA_KBR8Od1irUIxg4pHuoH-Svrkwhg-C6PyLJdc6H64U2ZxTes0XnWP4U7kYN3u8rfvqZjMcgO8mz2jY81e32KznHIyjMhtFECK85B331O1MBJlL5UaRi8qVmPJx-5dnsC9agt90ekUPnvsdSa4o2avt8Q95WUHq-_ohg5mBwsrpgRfUWxb6HCPhZhFHViA7iqAt0jbNESX3-SZXgi1-lDhLMqeVpFrcy_wVllwUlIarAobiKSdl8UdWSBISOr26wdyUGai32iPH-T70lAjJVtQfxlo0sYRgLuI4794P3F2Y3ydHfd_SHltvxAWoXe9UEKONNRnt9H4iPm5mlLAtt4QTMLvzJ0zMBoLAtowgza0kjs4A5GE8sSx57CCWKKq4Z-00hd76tw4T8at8R7A_waXUF8YRXV1z2pyigUeoNHLwYJTporo5_zVY8J9OKOVya4Y-e1PNDB_rP_BqZblluW1aouWpMxxQIuB9HnBh4SXVAGcxfMzZ9_wXmm1l4GNpvnZCDr8UuGWzRMFG5mrPRiJAB7WbXqDJUNltLB6bBZC-WDcLxIDD5MPpFPff38mQqu3ZAopRNHzodGf555DuQ8w=w528-h704-no

Bellatrix
I plan on getting an Alice's Collection stand or few at some point. But until I do, I have gotten doll stands from Hobby Lobby. Their biggest metal stand (9 inches) is only like $3 <link>, and it works pretty well. I'm sure it's made to go around the waist of a Barbie, but I put it around my DD's leg and slide it all the way up and it holds them pretty well. Here's one helping Keiko to stand on my desk.

e1AUG5mSBuv7Ow97YKxLrQIylOG70jMubHVt621V8JZZ9RiWIzO1sA9UgwOGEzlzTRRzA_KBR8Od1irUIxg4pHuoH-Svrkwhg-C6PyLJdc6H64U2ZxTes0XnWP4U7kYN3u8rfvqZjMcgO8mz2jY81e32KznHIyjMhtFECK85B331O1MBJlL5UaRi8qVmPJx-5dnsC9agt90ekUPnvsdSa4o2avt8Q95WUHq-_ohg5mBwsrpgRfUWxb6HCPhZhFHViA7iqAt0jbNESX3-SZXgi1-lDhLMqeVpFrcy_wVllwUlIarAobiKSdl8UdWSBISOr26wdyUGai32iPH-T70lAjJVtQfxlo0sYRgLuI4794P3F2Y3ydHfd_SHltvxAWoXe9UEKONNRnt9H4iPm5mlLAtt4QTMLvzJ0zMBoLAtowgza0kjs4A5GE8sSx57CCWKKq4Z-00hd76tw4T8at8R7A_waXUF8YRXV1z2pyigUeoNHLwYJTporo5_zVY8J9OKOVya4Y-e1PNDB_rP_BqZblluW1aouWpMxxQIuB9HnBh4SXVAGcxfMzZ9_wXmm1l4GNpvnZCDr8UuGWzRMFG5mrPRiJAB7WbXqDJUNltLB6bBZC-WDcLxIDD5MPpFPff38mQqu3ZAopRNHzodGf555DuQ8w=w528-h704-no

That looks really interesting. But could it hold the doll in a dynamic pose, such as jumping...?

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Anna-neko

That looks really interesting. But could it hold the doll in a dynamic pose, such as jumping...?

short answer - no. Longer answer - not a chance in hell

These stands are very light and flimsy, if the doll isn't perfectly balancing on her own, they'll just topple over

Unless you have god-tier posing/balancing skills... you want a good heavy base stand for dynamic poses, saddle-style helps stability

7325635246_55ec0222f0_z.jpg

taekos

*takes notes* Volks stand, heavy base. So on Volks' website there's a Doll Stand with a wooden base. I would link to it but I can't. Seems like that'll be the one to get.

How is everyone on getting their doll to stand on their own? I'm still getting used to mine but I feel she's pretty unsteady on my desk. I read some people say they've gone on fine without a stand for their BJD dolls.

cfx

After you have 20 posts you can post links and also have access to the marketplace.

I'll link them:

Wooden saddle stand http://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=6135

Wooden waist clamp stand http://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=5247

Metal saddle stand http://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=5249

Metal clamp stand http://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1298

I don't see it on the USA site but there is also a metal saddle stand with a straight rod https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992324661&version=en

I think the metal vs. wood is up to preference. Both should be heavy enough to be stable; the metal is smaller and takes up less room, and thinner so the doll doesn't have to have both feet on the base to be level. If you're taking them outside the wood might get scuffed up more easily. I'm planning on getting metal just because I think it's more neutral.

sinclair

The Hobby Lobby stand is only good for the doll standing. I've used it to help in some poses, but that when there is something else also supporting the girl in her pose.

taekos
After you have 20 posts you can post links and also have access to the marketplace.

I'll link them:

Thanks CFX. I didn't think to check the Japanese site. They stock more stuff than the US site don't they.

cfx

Yeah generally more stock there. Sometimes things they sell out of especially outfits will still be on the USA store though.

pandy

Personally, photography wise I like the invisible stands they have worked out so well for me so far! I especially love the 1/4 size and using it as a thigh grip. I'll be bringing some to the meet up , Usually there's a variety you stands you can see in person. the Volks stands are nice but pricey I like them more as stationary stands as the invisible one you can do more posing with as well. But the volks ones are very sturdy so they are really good for keeping your doll safe.