Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

samseramsamsam

Where my knitters at? ;)

samseramsamsam

Hey guys, I cannot be the only one who just loves to knit for the dollies

I just got my first DD body (sister) and needed sweaters with a high collar because I did not pay attention and got a semi-white body, but normal skin head

40420709540_253060ec3a.jpg

Here is the basic pattern I used for this sweater:

https://insomnimaniacs.wordpress.com/2018/05/21/quick-turtleneck-sweater-for-dollfie-dream-sister-and-similar-like-smart-doll-etc/

Please share your patterns, too, so my girl will have more nice knitwear

• Like 1

MegWesley

Sigh. That feeling when you type a response and then accidentally lose it because of having too many tabs open at once.

Anyway, I love the way your sweater looks. The fit looks perfect! I love knitting for my Miku, but I've been struggling with fit. Mostly because I don't use patterns and I'm just starting to master concepts like using positive and negative ease and where to place armholes.

I haven't knit anything for her recently, but I do have a few things. I made her an infinity scarf using handspun yarn dyed with Kool-aid:

28435307_171374116996911_476089028748247040_n_medium.jpg

I also made her a rainbow slouch hat that was too small. I wasn't expecting her to have a head that was big enough to mimic the cirbleepference of the socks I knit. Lesson learned: measure first. I'm finally willing to rip it out and remake it. I used the Sockhead Slouch Hat pattern as a guideline for this one.

26072206_1801589536808393_7289872498584190976_n_medium.jpg

The biggest thing I've made for her so far is a tank top. It fits like a glove! It only has a half inch of positive ease and the armholes could have been a little bit bigger, but it looks good.

19228750_326521017761788_2257983565864108032_n_medium.jpg

• Like 2

Home: Hatsune Miku ♡

samseramsamsam

Ha, the sock head hat is actually a great idea! I'll have to try this as soon as I have free needles (so far, I only knitted "normal" small beanies for the dolls.

The tank top is very interesting, does it have a back opening? Did you knit two parts, or in the round?

MegWesley

Nope, no back opening. I knit it bottom up in the round just like I would a normal sweater. I used the Knitter's Workshop by EZ to figure out the arm shaping.

The only trouble with doing it like that is that you do need to take her head off to get the top on, but I would rather take her head off and have the tank be seamless than have a big seam running down the center of the back. For some reason I'm fine with that for sewing, but with knitting I don't like that look.

SnailFever

Thanks for the pattern! That sweater is too cute. I don't knit, but my husband does, so time to bribe him with snacks til he makes our girls sweaters...

Dohmoen

Anyone have the pattern for these kinds of sweaters?

sweater.jpg

1533437623345.jpg

jaderose
Anyone have the pattern for these kinds of sweaters?

sweater.jpg

1533437623345.jpg

For the boob window sweater, I'd start with a basic top-down sweater pattern/method and modify it.

I'm quite partial to the instructions on this one https://fringeassociation.com/2016/08/14/improv-basic-pattern-for-a-top-down-seamless-sweater/. It's only technically human-sized - if you use the right size of yarn and needles for your gauge swatch, input your doll's measurements, and calculate ease at 1/3 scale rather than 1/1 scale, you should be absolutely fine.

(I admittedly haven't tried it myself, but that's only because I've been mainly working on sewing and an ugly sweater rehab/partial reknit project. But it has rave reviews on Ravelry!)

Here's my hypothetical instructions (assuming a stockinette stitch throughout, for simplicity):

Knit as you would for a sweater with a wide crew neck (you'll put the turtleneck on later, as per instructions) until you get to the desired height before the boob window starts. Then, place markers, and bind off the front portion (using a nice bind-off, as it will be a feature) and probably a couple stitches more. Continue with the back for a couple of rows, until you're at where you want the boob window to stop. Cast on just the front again, minus a stitch or two on each side, on a different needle (use a pretty cast on since it'll end up being a feature!), and knit for a couple of rows. Then, line up the different parts of the front - the edges of the boob window seem to have an overlap where the below-chest portion is underneath the top one, pin carefully, and join the back and front, approximating a knit stitch so as to make the join appear seamless. Make sure your rows line up, then return all stitches to your DPNs, and knit the rest of the sweater as per the instructions.

With regards to incorporating this modification, I'd do it before you finish the yoke, so as to save yourself the trouble of futzing with the sleeves and the boob window at the same time.

... Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun. I really want to try this, but I have DD jeans and a cat bed to sew first! I'll keep you posted if I do pick it up ^^

The second sweater could probably use the same base sweater method, but with different modifications. You could knit the body as per instructions, then go back and start doing the sleeves.

Instead of knitting the sleeves as a tube, you'd bind off a few stitches at the edge of the bottom edge of the sleeve per row, knitting flat, and continue until you have the desired width of... uh, armpit window?. Then, you'd either continue decreasing until you have nothing (if you want a pointed detail on the top of the sleeve) and then basically knit a shorter set-in sleeve and sew those together, or (a simpler method with no sewing/pointed detail) knit a row or two of just pit hole and then cast on/increase at the edge of each row, the same amount you decreased before, until you have the desired sleeve width, then join the stitches on DPNs and knit as a tube until you hit the length you want.

... that sounds fun to knit too but alas, my DD body has no arms yet, so I can't try that one out.

Hope that helps! These really would be easier to sew than knit, but where's the fun in that? Plus, if you knit it, you could add cables or similar and really up the cute factor.

The post above this signature was probably TLDR, and I am very sorry.

Dohmoen

For the boob window sweater, I'd start with a basic top-down sweater pattern/method and modify it.

I'm quite partial to the instructions on this one https://fringeassociation.com/2016/08/14/improv-basic-pattern-for-a-top-down-seamless-sweater/. It's only technically human-sized - if you use the right size of yarn and needles for your gauge swatch, input your doll's measurements, and calculate ease at 1/3 scale rather than 1/1 scale, you should be absolutely fine.

(I admittedly haven't tried it myself, but that's only because I've been mainly working on sewing and an ugly sweater rehab/partial reknit project. But it has rave reviews on Ravelry!)

Here's my hypothetical instructions (assuming a stockinette stitch throughout, for simplicity):

Knit as you would for a sweater with a wide crew neck (you'll put the turtleneck on later, as per instructions) until you get to the desired height before the boob window starts. Then, place markers, and bind off the front portion (using a nice bind-off, as it will be a feature) and probably a couple stitches more. Continue with the back for a couple of rows, until you're at where you want the boob window to stop. Cast on just the front again, minus a stitch or two on each side, on a different needle (use a pretty cast on since it'll end up being a feature!), and knit for a couple of rows. Then, line up the different parts of the front - the edges of the boob window seem to have an overlap where the below-chest portion is underneath the top one, pin carefully, and join the back and front, approximating a knit stitch so as to make the join appear seamless. Make sure your rows line up, then return all stitches to your DPNs, and knit the rest of the sweater as per the instructions.

With regards to incorporating this modification, I'd do it before you finish the yoke, so as to save yourself the trouble of futzing with the sleeves and the boob window at the same time.

... Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun. I really want to try this, but I have DD jeans and a cat bed to sew first! I'll keep you posted if I do pick it up ^^

The second sweater could probably use the same base sweater method, but with different modifications. You could knit the body as per instructions, then go back and start doing the sleeves.

Instead of knitting the sleeves as a tube, you'd bind off a few stitches at the edge of the bottom edge of the sleeve per row, knitting flat, and continue until you have the desired width of... uh, armpit window?. Then, you'd either continue decreasing until you have nothing (if you want a pointed detail on the top of the sleeve) and then basically knit a shorter set-in sleeve and sew those together, or (a simpler method with no sewing/pointed detail) knit a row or two of just pit hole and then cast on/increase at the edge of each row, the same amount you decreased before, until you have the desired sleeve width, then join the stitches on DPNs and knit as a tube until you hit the length you want.

... that sounds fun to knit too but alas, my DD body has no arms yet, so I can't try that one out.

Hope that helps! These really would be easier to sew than knit, but where's the fun in that? Plus, if you knit it, you could add cables or similar and really up the cute factor.

Wow thanks! I think if I try my hand at knitting I'll probably do a scarf first, this all sounds pretty difficult and a little complicated... At least your explanation is clear and detailed so I won't be completely lost once I get some practice getting my strings tangled.

jaderose
Wow thanks! I think if I try my hand at knitting I'll probably do a scarf first, this all sounds pretty difficult and a little complicated... At least your explanation is clear and detailed so I won't be completely lost once I get some practice getting my strings tangled.

Oh gosh, I should have asked your skill level before getting all carried away at you! I'm so sorry >.< It'll sound less complex if/when you spend more time knitting and get used to the terminology, I promise.

If you do try knitting, I wouldn't recommend starting in doll scale - it's more finicky and difficult to hold onto. Scarves are great for getting a feel for things, but I'd also recommend dishcloths (you can make pretty much any simple stitch pattern into small squares, cotton yarn is pretty cheap, and everyone always needs more of them) - and hats are fantastic once you've mastered that and want to move on to more structured garments!

Dohmoen

Oh gosh, I should have asked your skill level before getting all carried away at you! I'm so sorry >.< It'll sound less complex if/when you spend more time knitting and get used to the terminology, I promise.

If you do try knitting, I wouldn't recommend starting in doll scale - it's more finicky and difficult to hold onto. Scarves are great for getting a feel for things, but I'd also recommend dishcloths (you can make pretty much any simple stitch pattern into small squares, cotton yarn is pretty cheap, and everyone always needs more of them) - and hats are fantastic once you've mastered that and want to move on to more structured garments!

Don't worry about it, I didn't expect to understand everything right off the bat. Starting simple is the plan, and I also assumed 1/3rd scale would make things more difficult.

Making hats sounds nice though, that's a nice suggestion.

Thanks again for the tips, and if you ever make some knitted garments for dolls I'd love to see them.

Orao_22

I never thought knitting could be appropriate for the DDs... I figured that the result would be way too thick and "overscaled", resulting in your doll looking like she's wrapped in three blankets at once.

Do you have to use some specific wool or needles?

jaderose
I never thought knitting could be appropriate for the DDs... I figured that the result would be way too thick and "overscaled", resulting in your doll looking like she's wrapped in three blankets at once.

You do! Most knitting patterns have suggestions for what type (weight) of yarn and what diameter of needle to use - but, since those guidelines are for actual human people, they don't work for dolls, and it's a bit more complicated and experimental to figure out the right ones.

For example, when knitting my favourite (human-sized) hat pattern, I'll follow the pattern and use yarn in a worsted weight (which is fairly thick - picture a hand-knit garment you've seen, it was probably made of worsted yarn) and thicker needles (3.5-4.5 mm), to create a thicker fabric with visibly large stitches. If I was using that same yarn/needle combo to make my DD a sweater, not only would it be thick, like you said (the fabric of my current worsted sweater project is about as thick as a DD's finger!), but the pattern itself would have to be resized in order to not be gigantic.

For DD knitting, you have to figure out the yarn-and-needles combo yourself. Yarn doesn't come in "doll scale," so, other than the general knowledge that you need thinner needles and thinner yarn, you have to figure it out yourself.

samseramsamsam at the start of the thread made a DDS sweater with sock yarn (which is thinner than worsted), 3mm needles, and her own pattern, and it looks realistically chunky on her doll. (Resizing human patterns isn't really recommended either - resizing knitting patterns is a pain, and DDs don't have the same proportions as people, so a resize wouldn't be guaranteed to fit.) You could also use thinner yarn and corresponding thinner needles for a... well, thinner sweater, with smaller stitches.

Hope that makes sense! I definitely TLDRed, but I am a genuine nerd for textiles and I got a bit carried away.

• Like 1

MegWesley

This is an older post, but I want to chime in too!

I find that fingering weight is about the right size for mine without looking chunky. There is a size slightly thicker called sport that would probably make a very nice chunky looking sweater, but I like knitting with the thinner stuff anyway.

The stuff I posted earlier in the thread was knit with fingering weight yarn and US 1/2.5mm needles. A lot of it is trial and error to find the scale you like. There are quite a few doll people on Ravelry who prefer their doll sweater with lace weight or thinner with ridiculously tiny needles. And a lot of it depends on how you knit as well. I am on the slightly tighter side, which means that I normally produce stitches a little bit smaller than the "average" knitter. All that just means that I get to knit with slightly bigger needles and still get pretty fine results.

Moon-to-Starlight

Since I don't have a body, yet, I have been tossing around an idea of knitting a little pouf for her to sit on. Has any one made one, before?

RainbowNanaki

Hey!

I've tried knitting multiple times in the past, and I always end up with a tight mess on my the needles. However, I taught myself to crochet 4-ish years ago, and I was wondering if that would be allowed in this thread as well??

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

Moon-to-Starlight

45891318_315273755973632_1952901056905036955_n.jpg

I finished a prototype of a sort of bean bag chair. I think I managed to get the dimensions right (having to sort of guess, since I don't have an actual body....^^; ), now I just need to make it in the fluffy yarn that I want it in!

UnderOrange

Oooh, I love that beanbag chair design! I'm excited to see what your final product will look like.

Moon-to-Starlight

Thank you! I had some time today, so I was able to pretty much finish it up. I just need to complete the home stretch and get some more filling. I just hope the finished product looks like what I want it to.

UnderOrange

lol, that's always the trick with knitting (and a lot of other crafts) you know you'll get something in the end, but is it what you wanted?

Moon-to-Starlight

44744363_2121495724778229_5403874943232664260_n.jpg

Sorry for the glare, I was too excited to share the finished product and didn't wait until better light. I like how it turned out, now I just have to wait to see everything all together!

UnderOrange

omg that looks amazing! what yarn did you use for it? it looks so soft and nice!

Moon-to-Starlight

It is so soft! I really wish that I could make one for myself.....

I made it with Sirdar Alpine. I wish that I had been able to get more of the white. I'm making one in champagne color for my friend. She collects bjd's rather than dollfies, but I think the principle will remain the same. I just hope she likes it as much as I do!

UnderOrange

I'm sure she'll love it! The only big difference between resin dolls and DDs that might affect a beanbag chair is that resin can be heavier. Just don't understuff it and you'll be just fine! (I actually have more resin girls than vinyl, lol)

samseramsamsam

Aloha, and sorry for being AWOL for such a long time!

It's great to see more people sucbleepbing to the dark art of knitting (honestly, once you are "hooked", it gets addictive quickly!)

As for yarn and needles, if you want a nicer and finer look to your garment, and you have the patience of a saint, try lace weight yarn (2 ply) and thin needles (2mm approximately). The results are great, but I already despair in garments for MSD (~40 cm) sized dolls...

With 2mm needles, also 4 ply yarn ("sockyarn") gives a nicer pictures, finer stitches!

As with the dolls, I had to take a long break from knitting, but once I get around to handling yarn again, I'll be sure to post some results

Moon-to-Starlight

So.... I've taken the plunge and ordered a smartdoll. Aside from being super excited, I'm trying to get a few things in order for when she arrives. Namely a place for her to sort of hang out. I have an idea to make a bed but I was wondering if anyone had made a sort of throw for their dolls? I have some nice finger weight yarn that I love, a pattern I think will work, I am just unsure of size. Would strictly 1:3 the size of a normal throw work or do I need to rework it a little? I would love an advice!