Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

BeyondTime

VolksUSA Dolls Party in LA 4 in 2019

Gianni_Lomabrdi_93
I'm honestly not surprised we haven't gotten another NYC dolls party. If I remember correctly it was the 3rd NYC dolls party where a number of one-off dolls were stolen.

I was thinking the saw thing. I remember it was all over the news

Hollytastic

The thoughts of 2019 including other vendors is pretty exciting! Though I don't know if I will be able to attend or not. I'm quite far away... would you all say it is worth shooting for?

SakuraSylph
I'm quite far away... would you all say it is worth shooting for?

It may be, even though you're far away. Depends on what in particular you're hoping to get out of the experience, honestly.

It's a shopping-based holiday first and foremost, so if you can't bring a lot of money to spend, then there will be less to get out of things. There's SD one-offs, DD D'Coords, SD Coordinate Models, Limited DDs, Standard DDs, old sold-out Volks clothes, SD/DD hands and other doll parts, books, tools, Japanese Dolpa dealer items, a charity auction doll, pay-for games for exclusive eyes and wigs not sold regularly. Probably other things too, as they change from event to event. If you want these things you can't get elsewhere, then it is of course worth going.

It is also a SD-based social event, dinner with Volks and other doll owners, if you do the Tea Party. This is the only part that requires pre-registration, probably in May, and costs money to get into. The rest of Dolpa is free to enter. We don't know what the theme will be this year yet, though. (recent past years have been Alice in Wonderland / Dream Nights and Oath of Silver Coin / steampunk pirate).

It is also an opportunity to talk to Volks staff directly if you have anything to say to them. Influential people high up in the company will be in attendance and looking for feedback from US owners.

It is also an opportunity to take photos of any dolls you bring in well-decorated photo spaces, free of charge. You can hobknob with other doll owners and their dolls too if you like.

It is also a chance to learn how to do things like restring SDs or paint faceups, if Volks holds the tutorials again this year, which it sounds like they might but I don't think it's been officially announced yet.

So... if those things sound interesting to you, then you should go because you can do a lot of things you just can't do anywhere else. But it's also possible to be a SD/DD fan and not feel the need to go in a particular year, because it's ultimately spending plane and hotel fare for the privilege of spending more money on cool dolls (you hope), and that's a lot of money. It helps if you're excited about the theme and get into the Tea Party once the lottery is held later in the year, because at least you're guaranteed to get something to make it worth the trip (whatever dolls you pre-ordered with your Tea Party invite).

Volks USA does a nice job with the event, and although it's much smaller, it compares favorably to the Dolpas in Japan in my opinion. Just going for the experience in order to find out what you personally get out of it is also a valid possibility!

SakuraSylph

DesertPhantom51

Hey, I'm a local where this is going to be, so just a heads up for people coming from out of town.  This is literally two blocks away from Disneyland Resort, but it's usually a slower time of year so hotels should be easier to come by, however this is when a lot of low tier annual passes are valid again after summer, and Star Wars land is opening, so plan ahead.  It's going to be HOT, there is no fall season in Southern California, just a more dangerous summer, please dress lightly.  Public transportation is unreliable at best, unavailable at worst, I advise renting a car.  

Let me know if you have more questions!

BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

c4tbus

@DesertPhantom51 thanks for the heads up! i have been to disneyland in early september before, and it was pretty tame on the weekdays but saturday was packed! i had also forgotten that galaxy’s edge would be open then...... maybe it will mean less people in california adventure or something!

speaking of disney, i was planning to bring my dd to disneyland the friday before dolpa, if anyone else is interested in joining! probably something very casual in downtown disney so that anyone can join in, not just people going to the parks. 

• Like 1

BeyondTime

Registered for the Tea Party and grabbed a hotel room. Looking forward to seeing a Dolpa for the first time. 

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Sticks-Ara
On 4/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, c4tbus said:

@DesertPhantom51 thanks for the heads up! i have been to disneyland in early september before, and it was pretty tame on the weekdays but saturday was packed! i had also forgotten that galaxy’s edge would be open then...... maybe it will mean less people in california adventure or something!

speaking of disney, i was planning to bring my dd to disneyland the friday before dolpa, if anyone else is interested in joining! probably something very casual in downtown disney so that anyone can join in, not just people going to the parks. 

I’ve had two doll meets at Downtown Disney some time ago. The reason I haven’t had another one is because Disney now charges for parking, whether it’s in DTD parking or their theme park parking. And because of some of the distance some people have to travel to get to Anaheim, and that most will drive there, I didn’t want people to deal with the hassle of a parking fee. 

Although it might be different this time. People will probably walk from their hotels to there. And the best place to meet is over at Starbucks. So hopefully it’ll be a fun gathering. Perhaps I might want to stop by as well if I’m not part of the tea party. 

BottleStar
On 3/28/2019 at 5:39 PM, DesertPhantom51 said:

Public transportation is unreliable at best, unavailable at worst

🤔I'm VERY curious to know what kind of experience you've had with OCTA (assuming that you're talking about the buses). I know the meme that our transportation system is gawd awful is grounded in reality, but I've never found it to be unreliable or unavailable. If anything, I think the app has greatly improved the service in this area. Please elaborate.

36 minutes ago, Sticks-Ara said:

the best place to meet is over at Starbucks

🤔The big one or the small one? I heard the smaller one came back once they decided not to build the new hotel in that area.

Not sure if I'll be able to go to a DTD doll meet, but I'd love to at least try!

c4tbus
55 minutes ago, Sticks-Ara said:

I’ve had two doll meets at Downtown Disney some time ago. The reason I haven’t had another one is because Disney now charges for parking, whether it’s in DTD parking or their theme park parking. And because of some of the distance some people have to travel to get to Anaheim, and that most will drive there, I didn’t want people to deal with the hassle of a parking fee. 

Although it might be different this time. People will probably walk from their hotels to there. And the best place to meet is over at Starbucks. So hopefully it’ll be a fun gathering. Perhaps I might want to stop by as well if I’m not part of the tea party. 

good to know! i was planning to walk from hotel to wherever! and are you referring to the big starbucks in downtown disney? glad to know that disney meets have been successful in the past. i was thinking friday as a pre-event appetizer (for lack of a better word) 

DesertPhantom51

@BottleStar - Nothing outside of the norm, just late buses, or wrong time tables (Missed times) routes being changed for the ever ongoing construction.  I was more talking for people who will be flying into LAX and coming down that it can be tricky and sometimes they'll cancel/rearrange with little notice unless you're on their social media.  I'm also super persnickety about going where I want, when I want, so that could be part of my own bias too. 

Sticks-Ara
13 hours ago, BottleStar said:

🤔I'm VERY curious to know what kind of experience you've had with OCTA (assuming that you're talking about the buses). I know the meme that our transportation system is gawd awful is grounded in reality, but I've never found it to be unreliable or unavailable. If anything, I think the app has greatly improved the service in this area. Please elaborate.

🤔The big one or the small one? I heard the smaller one came back once they decided not to build the new hotel in that area.

Not sure if I'll be able to go to a DTD doll meet, but I'd love to at least try!

The big one. I’ll most likely create an event for everyone to come if they’d like. 

vamlest1

Sure would be nice if volks usa could move the doll parties around, like maybe Dallas where its centrally located. alot more people could attend...hopefully one day.

pandy

I'm happy it's in Anaheim once again, Especially seeing as i'm a OC local so it's not far from me at all! Surprising how many people attended last time and didn't mention or say anything so I feel like I missed out on meeting a lot of people I would have liked to see in person. If you plan on going and want to hang out please let me know :] 

• Like 1

Sticks-Ara
On 5/11/2019 at 2:29 PM, vamlest1 said:

Sure would be nice if volks usa could move the doll parties around, like maybe Dallas where its centrally located. alot more people could attend...hopefully one day.

I can only think it’s because their office is here in California and it may be easier for them to have it here.

But I was surprised it came back here. I was sure it might go back to New York like it did 4 years ago. 

On a personal note: I’m glad it stayed here in California AND back in Anaheim. I live just down the street from the Marriott and could just walk there. 

ajl
On 5/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, Sticks-Ara said:

I live just down the street from the Marriott and could just walk there.

Dang you have my "ten minute drive away" beat. Lol. 

That's really awesome though. There's another con happening later in the year in the same area. Always excited when they do "LA" conventions and it turns out to be in anaheim like that. 😄

• Like 1

BeyondTime

Looks like the tea party emails are going out now. 

BeyondTime

LA Dolpa site updated with the dealer shop info. I spy our very own Jadepixel in the list.

https://volksusa.com/event/2019dolpala/shop_dealer.php

BeyondTime

Got home to discover this, apparently she plans on attending in my place. Mars may have something to say about this, but probably not in my favor either.

48532872967_6792a9ee06_o.jpg

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 1

Amara77
On 6/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, BeyondTime said:

LA Dolpa site updated with the dealer shop info. I spy our very own Jadepixel in the list.

https://volksusa.com/event/2019dolpala/shop_dealer.php

That is great news! So exciting! 

Also Ami  looks super cute and ready to rock!!💛

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

asianed

For those who will be at DollPa, I'm making tiny badges for my dolls to wear! I'll have a bunch to give away, come find me if you want one! 

IMG_20190824_095117.jpg

• Like 3

Sticks-Ara
7 hours ago, asianed said:

For those who will be at DollPa, I'm making tiny badges for my dolls to wear! I'll have a bunch to give away, come find me if you want one! 

IMG_20190824_095117.jpg

I’d like two if it’s ok 😀

asianed
18 hours ago, Sticks-Ara said:

I’d like two if it’s ok 😀

It'll be first come first serve, I'm afraid. ^^;; I can save a handful to give out at the unbirthday party though! 

I'll have about 65 of them, Chii will be rocking them! 

IMG_20190828_184655.jpg

IMG_20190828_190907.jpg

Edited by asianed
  • Like 2

ajl

I'll be at the unbirthday thing too! I would love one. I'll even toss you a couple dollars for it. 😄 That's amazing.