Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Laylian

Obitsu Skeleton?

Laylian

Hey all,

I have an old Gretal that came my way via my sister. She's from 2007 and her internal skeleton has literally disintegrated in places. She needs a completely new system inside. There's no way to fix any of it because the heat has eaten away at the plastic, it looks like. I believe she is the old type body. My question is, if I buy the newer replacement parts, will they fit inside the vinyl body?

baldylox

It will depend on which of the older bodies she is.  There were two versions, one is the older one and has the same double joints as the AP/VMF girls.  Just check the elbows and you can tell.  If it's the newer one then it's the "ball jointed" style body and the elbows will look completely different.

You can kind of see the difference in elbows and shoulders on my two girls here.  The pink haired one is on the older body and the green haired one is on the newer one.  The way the vinyl fits the frames is different so some of the parts won't fit into the opposite body types vinyl properly.

DSC_1434.JPG

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Laylian
10 hours ago, baldylox said:

It will depend on which of the older bodies she is.  There were two versions, one is the older one and has the same double joints as the AP/VMF girls.  Just check the elbows and you can tell.  If it's the newer one then it's the "ball jointed" style body and the elbows will look completely different.

You can kind of see the difference in elbows and shoulders on my two girls here.  The pink haired one is on the older body and the green haired one is on the newer one.  The way the vinyl fits the frames is different so some of the parts won't fit into the opposite body types vinyl properly.

It looks like the one on the right. So that's considered the newer body? And the replacement parts on the obitsu website would work?

baldylox
23 hours ago, Laylian said:

It looks like the one on the right. So that's considered the newer body? And the replacement parts on the obitsu website would work?

Yes, it's called the 60cm ball jointed body on the website for Parabox.  I've bought many parts from them for that body and had no problems at all.... other than having to use a heat gun to loosen up the vinyl and some pliers to get a good grip on parts while trying to pull them out of the vinyl.

Billy

Laylian

Fantastic! Thank you! I'm really excited to try and get her back into shape.

MaleficentMrsofEvil
On 3/31/2019 at 10:22 AM, baldylox said:

<snip>

DSC_1434.JPG

Off-topic, but are these retired face sculpts? Resin? Pink drops?

I'm in love with the faces, is what I'm saying. If they're no longer made, any recommendations for a similar sculpt for a 50 cm Obitsu body?

baldylox
18 hours ago, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

Off-topic, but are these retired face sculpts? Resin? Pink drops?

I'm in love with the faces, is what I'm saying. If they're no longer made, any recommendations for a similar sculpt for a 50 cm Obitsu body?

I don't know if these are retired or not but they are indeed older and made by Obitsu.  They are the Gretel head mold.  I just LOVE the lips on them!  <3  I've seen some that weren't painted well and they didn't look good at all.  But if they are done nicely, the mold really shines.

We should hit up @K-2 for info on whether this head is retired or not.  He's the Master of all things Obitsu!  😄  He will know of similar styled heads as well.

Billy

• Thanks 1

Starwaia
41 minutes ago, baldylox said:

I don't know if these are retired or not but they are indeed older and made by Obitsu.  They are the Gretel head mold.  I just LOVE the lips on them!  <3  I've seen some that weren't painted well and they didn't look good at all.  But if they are done nicely, the mold really shines.

We should hit up @K-2 for info on whether this head is retired or not.  He's the Master of all things Obitsu!  😄  He will know of similar styled heads as well.

Billy

http://junkyspot.com/60femalehead.html

If this is up to date, Junkyspot still has Gretel heads in stock! I'm not sure how old stock they will be though. I've been under the impression that that particular dealer hasn't been getting a lot of business since they dropped a lot of the doll lines they used to sell ages ago.

(I may have to snag one myself as a practice head or something, I really like the look of sculpt I just don't have the funds to prioritize another full doll right now. I already have another floating Obitsu head though and if I'm not careful I could end up with a whole basketfull hehe ^^; )

Edited by Starwaia
Rambles

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

K-2

The Gretel (and the Hansel, get it? Hansel and Gretel...) head are Parabox designs manufactured by Obitsu. If Parabox still has them then I would assume they are still "in print" or at least not sold out yet.

Additional note!

The original Gretel was designed for the 60cm body, while the Gretel 47 is targeted at the 47cm to 50cm bodies.

Edited by K-2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MVSig.jpg

MaleficentMrsofEvil

I ended up ordering a blank Gretel-47! Thanks so much for your help!

MaleficentMrsofEvil

I apologize again for asking here, but I didn't have much luck searching the forum.

Face up tutorials? Is it similar in technique to fashion dolls and resin? (Mister Super Clear, pastels - not oil! - and watercolor pencils?)

I hope so. I really don't want to go out and invest in a whole new set of tools.

Boy. It sure would have been smart to ask this before I bought that blank head, eh?

nami
1 hour ago, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

I apologize again for asking here, but I didn't have much luck searching the forum.

Face up tutorials? Is it similar in technique to fashion dolls and resin? (Mister Super Clear, pastels - not oil! - and watercolor pencils?)

I hope so. I really don't want to go out and invest in a whole new set of tools.

Boy. It sure would have been smart to ask this before I bought that blank head, eh?

Parabox has some face-up tutorials.

K-2
On 7/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

The face-up techniques for vinyls are pretty much the same as those used on resins. Just make sure you start by washing the head with soap and water to get rid of any residue from molding/handling and give the head (or part) a "base cost" of MSC so you get the best adhesion of your pastels and water colors.

• Thanks 1

MVSig.jpg