Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

Q_T
On 10/6/2020 at 3:11 AM, forged_in_mess said:

I feel like SmD is far more friendly for begginer than Obitsu, volks or ap. Totally. SmD website is clear, witty, interesting and very western. 

Actually since doing web design for sites. I find it the opposite. It's too wordy and execeptionally annoying to navigate through.

Thos would absolutely be fine and enjoyable if it were a blog, but this is a website selling product.

And while I have qualms dealing with Volks (USA site in particular) and Mandarake (clutter) on a UI level. At least the latter two remember they are selling a product and cut down on the word salad. They give me info on things easy to forget  like dims on the product and measurements.

• Like 3

foo
2 minutes ago, Q_T said:

Actually since doing web design for sites. I find it the opposite. It's too wordy and execeptionally annoying to navigate through.

🤔 If you go to smartdoll.jp you have products you can click immediately and look at. If you go to the main Volks JP site, er, that's kind of a lost cause. If you go to the Volks JP store you can make your way to the doll store in one click, but once you get there it's information overload.

forged_in_mess

I actually got totally lost on volks Japan website and I gave up before finding actual available dolls. On SmD website I found what I need easily. Even the option to convert money is super friendly for someone who never shop in yen 

• Like 1

BeyondTime

I think the filter system on the Volks store works well to narrow your options down to exactly what you want. You do have to know what you are looking for, and I think the idea is you first read through their “What is Dollfie” section, then you shop. 

If you don’t filter, then you’re going to see several years worth of product offerings. 

Amusingly their auto translate feature translates thighs as “peaches.” XD

• Haha 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

finnleo

I also find the current volks search rather easy and fast ... the first iteration of the new site was pretty bad since you didnt have any real search options..

getting into the actual volks web store has always been a bit of an amusing prospect no matter the era...

but, just select dollfie dream (or superdollfie if thats your preference), check the following boxes, Standard models + Limited models + Show only in stock ...

As a side note, a Sailor Mercury is as of writing this currently in stock for anyone interested.

1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

Amusingly their auto translate feature translates thighs as “peaches.”

Cant really blame it, since its latches onto "momo" in futomomo... "going to the country.. gonna eat me a lot of peaches..."

Edited by finnleo
  • Haha 3

monkeypizzasonic

Just thought this had some interesting business stuff in it, like this.

The majority of new customers are families buying for children or grandparents.

Maybe because of the pandemic some families have extra money to spend (no vacations + less random shopping trips), so they can afford to splurge on SmD? Plus kids are probably stressed out from the whole situation as well and need distractions/companionship. I am a bit confused on the wording though - are the grandparents buying for the kids, or are families buying SmD for grandma since she probably feels lonely and can't get out of the house and/or see her grandkids?

(annoyingly, there are some dolls in the discounted section rn that I would actually consider getting -  I have a soft spot for the semi-reals - but A. i don't really want to support DC until he gets his act together and B. ...ELSA)

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

The majority of new customers are families buying for children or grandparents.

Actually, I wonder if that's missing a comma.

bn2hf3Q.jpg.3efcc03086ccc55b54d4f71803962a2c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

daydreammoment
On 10/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, Gabihime said:

Don’t be scared.  It’s a lot of information to absorb at once, but I promise you’ll pick it up pretty quickly.  My only advice would be don’t fall to FOMO (fear of missing out). These dolls cost a lot of money no matter what you choose, so you should make sure that you get what you want after thinking about it carefully!  (You can also choose heads from a different maker, like Dollce and make a hybrid doll!). You should choose what you like best after doing research!  That will be the thing that makes you the happiest.

This is so true. I wish I had been a member of this forum before I bought and did some more research before I bought. I never realized what all was available.

daydreammoment
On 10/8/2020 at 4:53 PM, Q_T said:

Thos would absolutely be fine and enjoyable if it were a blog, but this is a website selling product.

And while I have qualms dealing with Volks (USA site in particular) and Mandarake (clutter) on a UI level. At least the latter two remember they are selling a product and cut down on the word salad. They give me info on things easy to forget  like dims on the product and measurements.

Actually what drew me in to the SmD site was the stories and the social media connections that SmD makes.  The Volks USA sight was easier to navigate but I was such a newbie that I needed something that was so pedestrian and had nothing technical in it.  I fell for the SmD site.  I am still a newbie but I think I appreciate the Volks site now that I have some knowledge behind me. where I should have started out was forums like this one!

LuluChan

He found Kurenai's master, apparently. Surprisingly (/s), she was sold with no warning for a ridiculous price. 

What I'm wondering is, if he has the master, can't she be used to make a mold to produce more? Or that's not how it works? Sorry if I misunderstand how the process goes.

• Sad 1

DaemonNoyz
3 hours ago, LuluChan said:

He found Kurenai's master, apparently. Surprisingly (/s), she was sold with no warning for a ridiculous price. 

What I'm wondering is, if he has the master, can't she be used to make a mold to produce more? Or that's not how it works? Sorry if I misunderstand how the process goes.

I'm curious about that as well...

• Like 1

Yumeiro
6 hours ago, LuluChan said:

What I'm wondering is, if he has the master, can't she be used to make a mold to produce more? Or that's not how it works?

It'd be smaller for one. So you'd have to tweak it. And it'd basically be a lot of effort for a sculpt that he dislikes...

I guess Twilight will "show up" next then?

• Like 1

littlecherishdoll
6 hours ago, LuluChan said:

I also think because the molds are metal, it's a very high cost to recreate... so once it broke, he was just like, nah. 

Eiko82

Bummer. Kurenai/Moonlight/Twilight is still one of my fav SmD sculpts. 

• Like 2

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

LuluChan

Awww. She's ma favourite Smd sculpt. But I guess it's easier to make a quick buck and free up space for the office change :((( I don't know why he doesn't like her, she's gorgeous and very unique.

Edited by LuluChan

moerunamida
52 minutes ago, LuluChan said:

Awww. She's ma favourite Smd sculpt. But I guess it's easier to make a quick buck and free up space for the office change :((( I don't know why he doesn't like her, she's gorgeous and very unique.

Totally agree with the quick buck part. I believe he got rid of her, because she had the most Dollfie Dream like sculpt out of all his SmDs. Her features were more pronounced whereas all of the other girls have a rather small nose and a relatively flat mouth. Edited out, my humblest apologies.

Edited by Deyja

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

BeyondTime
13 minutes ago, Deyja said:

All boils down to his vendetta against Volks.

I just want to stress that raising this to the status of a vendetta has largely been conjecture on this site. There is plenty of indication that Danny feels very competitive with regards to Volks, but calling it a vendetta may be pushing it. 

Folks are welcome to form opinions and express opinions regarding these sort of things, this particular opinion might even be 💯% correct, but we need to keep in mind that opinions alone can’t be taken as fact, and facts can only be derived from clear and specific evidence. 

forged_in_mess

I mean, being competitive isn't... Bad lol it's like saying that Apple have vendetta towards Samsung. More like they compete, which is beneficial for customers because it pushes improvement. 

I don't own a SmD but things like telescopic stand are unique about them, so I feel like in some ways a younger company made improvements to volks ways. I don't like dollfie heads at all, they sometimes look like a poor bootleg figurine head instead of artisan product for 500$. So if I would be a person from outside and wouldn't know how long company is around... I would actually think that some dollfie are bootleg SmDs lol 

finnleo
On 10/18/2020 at 1:25 AM, forged_in_mess said:

I don't like dollfie heads at all, they sometimes look like a poor bootleg figurine head instead of artisan product for 500$. So if I would be a person from outside and wouldn't know how long company is around... I would actually think that some dollfie are bootleg SmDs lol 

And meanwhile, when I took a look at that Kurenai link out of curiosity, based on the thumbnails my initial impression was: "Is that a ... Miki Hoshii...?" (another highly sought after volks sculp) -- and again I need to stress the initial impression element, if you need to pull up topography maps to show differences between things (which there probably will be), my reaction will be still a bit on the "not so sure" side of things.

But competition is good though. The main reason I think CJ got traction in the first place was that during the SmD launch, if you wanted a vinyl doll straight off the shelf, smd was mostly what you could buy at the time. Volks only carried two DD standards, of which the other usually was sold out -- Not to mention that it wasnt untill around Saber Lily if I recall correct that buying from Volks from outsite japan became a more user friendly experience. I'll also give CJ the male body first (though this has its own shinenigans involved ... as in I doubt there will ever be a Melody collaboration doll out of CJ anytime ever despite the more obvious reasons...)

One speculation to animosity also could be that competition got a bit too good and the initial market void CJ was able to tap into got smaller ... Volks agressively expanded their standard lineup going from two to eight currently supported models, ten if you count in the new old stock one's, has added two to three new body sizes (depending on how you look at the plumpy mdd), updated their main body line two times since then, and even Azone is getting in on the action with YJA artist collabs that are cute as frigg ... while as far as I know smd is still doing what they did back at launch -- mind you the argument "If it was right the first time, why fix it" so I wont give this too much of a negative effect with the only novelty feature being the third leg ... which you could attribute being lifted from figmas, but its still a nice feature.

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 3

Katsudon

Is Danny ever going to do a proper release of Singularity, or is it for only the rich? Effing spitting feathers over here, guys. >_<

• Like 1

Lynn

Is Danny ever going to do a proper release of Singularity, or is it for only the rich? Effing spitting feathers over here, guys. >_<

I hope so! I am not going to by a She Pebble just to get her - or some random Smartdoll girl. (She Pebbles are available at the moment, by the way.)

Katsudon

Yup, I know. :( I can't risk buying and not getting her. And while in theory I could trade with someone for her, I'm guessing that'll be near impossible or at least not an equal trade. 😕

Meowjima

............ so if that's a master of one of the original doll molds SmD released, why does it have an orange headcap?

LuluChan
1 hour ago, Meowjima said:

............ so if that's a master of one of the original doll molds SmD released, why does it have an orange headcap?

I wondered the same thing when I read her page, but I imagine prototypes/masters have always been made with no headcap? If it's just to test the mold/makeup, it makes sense to only print/cast the face piece.

littlebirdzoom

Can we please (kindly I guess) talk about the fact hat Danny outright asked his fans to essentially bully people in the SMD appreciation group? We all know his behavior is awful, but it was mostly... up for opinion. And I feel like he got caught red handed and isn't trying anymore to hide it? I understand we're supposed to be civil (because talking bad about this dude literally anywhere is apparently a huge no-no) but like... damn. What is even happening anymore? 

• Thanks 1

Waiting for eternity for Volks to release more Idolm@ster girls.