Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

All DD Body Sizes

foo

...except DDdy which is the same height as DD so it doesn't count, I'm not saying this because I don't regret skipping the 2B preorder >_>

47829516451_eae4d6b6b5_b.jpg

DD, DDS, DDP, MDD, figma by bodolza, on Flickr

From left to right, DD Miku, DDS Melty (on f3 body), DDP Iori Minase, MDD DDH-10, figma Megumin! for scale.

Iori has a really small head. That wig kept falling off so I tried a silicone wig cap which worked great, except the fringe kind of floats in front of her face (generally a good thing) and ends up looking more like a bowl cut (generally not a good thing). I used just a touch of Volks' Wig Treatment stuff to try and style it; in person it looks pretty good but I'll spend more time later to see what I can do.

Edited by foo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

Mothiraffe

I was looking for something like this, this is perfect, thank you! DDP look perfect to me, but I feel like finding clothes for them would be difficult... how are you finding it so far?

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

BeyondTime
39 minutes ago, foo said:

From left to right, DD Miku, DD Melty (on f3 body), DDP Iori Minase, MDD DDH-10, figma Megumin! for scale.

Iori has a really small head. That wig kept falling off so I tried a silicone wig cap which worked great, except the fringe kind of floats in front of her face (generally a good thing) and ends up looking more like a bowl cut (generally not a good thing). I used just a touch of Volks' Wig Treatment stuff to try and style it; in person it looks pretty good but I'll spend more time later to see what I can do.

Sorry, off topic, but what wig is that on your Iori? Is it a Crobi wig? It's awesome on her.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Thank youuuu!

This definitely makes me think DDS and DDP are gonna be the right sizes for me. Regular DD felt so huge and MDD too small. Little Megumin gives a nice sense of scale too.

Speaking of the DDP body, MDD clothes generally fit, at least in the bust, right?

BeyondTime
33 minutes ago, rainglow said:

Thank youuuu!

This definitely makes me think DDS and DDP are gonna be the right sizes for me. Regular DD felt so huge and MDD too small. Little Megumin gives a nice sense of scale too.

Speaking of the DDP body, MDD clothes generally fit, at least in the bust, right?

Fit varies, but Volks does list DDP fits on new outfits. Anything with pants is going to be a no go. They are releasing DDP specific stuff really slowly, but Obitsu 50 stuff is supppsed to work. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

foo
1 hour ago, Mothiraffe said:

I feel like finding clothes for them would be difficult... how are you finding it so far?

I've been mostly sticking to Volks' outfit collections, when they mark stuff as DDP. There hasn't been that much really. If she were my only doll I'd search more actively, Azone 50 clothes apparently fit well and there's other MSD-sized outfits from other sellers that would work too. 

For the first couple years of owning my first dolls I really had nothing, and more than once kind of desperately bought anything, and I've got a mini collection of random scraps of junk boring clothing. I've learned that if you're patient enough you'll find stuff you like. But again if it's your only doll, you don't really have patience 😛

Although now I have two dolls that share this clothing size so I'm a little less patient (ーー')

53 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Sorry, off topic, but what wig is that on your Iori? Is it a Crobi wig? It's awesome on her.

It's not off topic :) It's Sakuya's old Crobi wig, 

16312322568_02ef310d0f_c.jpg

Gorgeous Chef by bodolza, on Flickr

You can try fishing more pictures from her album there, I should probably get around to tagging things by product on my Flickr.

I talked about it in a little thread in Photo Randoms a few months back, actually.

4 minutes ago, rainglow said:

Yeah, for Volks outfits, MDD clothing can often be shared with DDP. The big difference is the length of the legs, so some outfits designed for MDD aren't labelled as fitting DDP. For example, I tried this on Iori,

DSC_4633nx.jpg

And that skirt turned into a REALLY tight miniskirt. This outfit isn't labelled as fitting DDP :) The top was ok I think.

Mothiraffe

@foo That's good to know, thank you! Honestly part of the reason all of my dolls (Neemos aside) are 1/3 is so I only have to focus on one clothing scale. If I start getting DDP girls, I will die... but they're so lovely, aaaah. And you never have just one... dolls are so dangerous |D;;

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

baldylox

Actually the DDdy bodies ARE slightly shorter than the DD and DD3 bodies.  

7564908794_85774668ed_z.jpgDSC_6767 by Billy  Bennett, on Flickr

From left to right is the original DDdy body, a DD3 and a DDS.  I know it's not a big difference but it's a couple of centimeters on average.  

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Yenna
23 hours ago, baldylox said:

Actually the DDdy bodies ARE slightly shorter than the DD and DD3 bodies.  

They're not. Well, at least DDdyIII and DDIII are the exact same height because they have the exact same frame. It looks to me like your DD and especially DDS might not be pressed all the way down in the torso joint.

Mine are exactly the same height and DDS is shorter than what it looks to be in yours:
dd_lineup1.jpg

I always make sure that all the frame parts are tightly together and I take photo at the doll level whenever I take comparison photos, to make sure the results are as accurate as possible. ^^

Edited by Yenna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BeyondTime

I hadn’t really thought about it, but you could potentially create some sleight height variation in your dolls by adding a spacer in the DD internal frame. Probably not a lot because friction would diminish the more you added, and the torso would start to look a bit funny if you added too much. 

Aww I figured pants and skirts wouldn't work too well for them. For those I was planning on getting the specific DDP marked outfits. Thank you @foo and @BeyondTime for the info.

baldylox
12 hours ago, Yenna said:

They're not. Well, at least DDdyIII and DDIII are the exact same height because they have the exact same frame. It looks to me like your DD and especially DDS might not be pressed all the way down in the torso joint.

Mine are exactly the same height and DDS is shorter than what it looks like in yours.
I always make sure that all the frame parts are tightly together and I take photo at the doll level whenever I take comparison photos, to make sure the results are as accurate as possible. ^^

Sorry to disagree but you're wrong.  As CFX linked to, Volks lists the DDdy as shorter and almost every DDdy girl I have *IS* shorter than the DD2 and DD3 girls I own.  Also, my DDdy girl in that pic is the original body, not the DDdy3.  And that DDS body in my photo is the original DDS from the Marissa/Reimu series.... meaning it's a first generation.  So since yours is newer, they may be shorter than they used to be.  And one more thing, my girls ARE pressed together as far as they will go.  Not all of these dolls are exactly the same heights, especially when we're talking different years of bodies and frames and production runs.  Several of my original DDdy girls vary in height even tho they're fully pressed together and of the same body make and years.  I'm sure if I got ALL my girls together, lined them up and checked for height, the ones with the same bodies wouldn't all be exactly the same.

Billy

BeyondTime
7 hours ago, rainglow said:

Aww I figured pants and skirts wouldn't work too well for them. For those I was planning on getting the specific DDP marked outfits. Thank you @foo and @BeyondTime for the info.

I have several skirt outfits for mine, and they are ok but it depends on the skirt. Panties are not compatible unless specified. The hips on he DDP are larger, and the one pair of DDP panties I have an MDD would probably be swimming in if she wore them. There are a few striped bra and panty sets that list both, but the panties are really tight on DDP.  

If you check my doll profiles you will see some photos of Iori and Yayoi in some MDD (really they are MSD outfits) outfits with skirts. 

Edited by BeyondTime

Yenna
16 hours ago, cfx said:

Volks stated measurements say DDdy is 5mm shorter than DD, 565mm vs. 570mm, really trivial for sure but I don't even see that in your picture:

https://www.dollfiedream.tokyo/dd_en/item/basebody/

0,5cm indeed is totally trivial. xD That changes with just how you've posed the doll at the moment of measuring (like a leg is a liiitle bit bent or torso tilted to the side). Even full centimetres are a small margin. It _could_ be that my DDIII is that much taller without the head, but at least the shoulders are at the same level and the head masks the rest. Hard to say since I didn't compare them headless.

8 hours ago, baldylox said:

Sorry to disagree but you're wrong.  As CFX linked to, Volks lists the DDdy as shorter and almost every DDdy girl I have *IS* shorter than the DD2 and DD3 girls I own.  Also, my DDdy girl in that pic is the original body, not the DDdy3.  And that DDS body in my photo is the original DDS from the Marissa/Reimu series.... meaning it's a first generation.  So since yours is newer, they may be shorter than they used to be.  And one more thing, my girls ARE pressed together as far as they will go.  Not all of these dolls are exactly the same heights, especially when we're talking different years of bodies and frames and production runs.  Several of my original DDdy girls vary in height even tho they're fully pressed together and of the same body make and years.  I'm sure if I got ALL my girls together, lined them up and checked for height, the ones with the same bodies wouldn't all be exactly the same.

Okay sorry, I re-read your original post and noticed now that you said original DDdy (but could not tell which DDS was in question). I assumed you were talking about newer dolls that are currently available from Volks -my mistake that one. However, I also specified that I was talking about the III versions and posted a photo of that as proof. That is how an all III lineup looks and the DDdyIII is not noticeably shorter than DDIII.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the possible minor difference in their heights is all in the outer vinyl. Because when I modded a DD L bust onto my DDdy, she got taller. And is now probably that 5mm taller than the DDIII. :'D (It also fits better than the current DDdy bust that floats around stupidly.)
Also when the dolls sit, the differences change again. DDdy (with DD bust in this instance) gets even taller because she sits on those thick thighs. I think DDS should be the same height as DD when sitting but for some reason mine is marginally taller -I guess it's the vinyl again or the minor production differences that were mentioned. They have the same torso frame after all. But the difference is so minor you can just say the DD and DDS are the same height when sitting.

Edited by Yenna
  • Like 1

Monty

I never actually knew the exact height difference between a DD and a Dy, I heard there was one, but I didnt realise it was so miniscule - 5mm barely even counts and in Yenna's pic I can't even tell its there. I would have thought that was the same height to the mm if not for the measurements. With Baldylox's pic, the Dy's upper torso seems to be leaning to the side which is also making the height comparison a little unclear. It seems the height difference was more evident with the older bodies, but since they arent even sold anymore, it seems a moot point. I am curious to see a DD f3 and DDdy f3 to see if the difference is more or less obvious.

baldylox

True, Yenna does have all the newest bodies there so that comparison is valid.  I wasn't trying to say that wasn't.  😉  But you got me and what I meant so we're all good.  And yeah, there seem to be variances in vinyl parts for sure.  As for the DDS and DD heights, I think it's mainly in the thighs, at least on my girls it is.  You can see that in the pic I posted earlier.  I don't have a newer DDS body to check so it may be different on those.

Someone asked me about differences between the MDD and MDD3 bodies so I might do a thread on those two sometime soon, I just need some time to do it.  :)

Billy

Monty

I juuuuust noticed @foo that you wrote DD Melty instead of DDS Melty! Just letting you know cos this thread got linked on myfigurecollection as someone wanted to know more about DDs, and that could potentially cause confusion.
Anyway, I like the photo a lot because I can use it to freak out my friends who assumed they're the size of barbies, with the figma size comparison.

foo
18 minutes ago, Monty said:

I juuuuust noticed @foo that you wrote DD Melty instead of DDS Melty!

Oops, fixed, thanks.

Eiko82

I really like how the DDP looks next to DD bodies.

Do DDP bodies have DD or MDD hands? If they can have DD hands, do the large hands fit as well?

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

BeyondTime
16 minutes ago, Eiko82 said:

I really like how the DDP looks next to DD bodies.

Do DDP bodies have DD or MDD hands? If they can have DD hands, do the large hands fit as well?

Technically DDP can use any hands you can use on DD. They come with their own pair of hands that are slightly smaller than the normal DD hands. 

Large hands are going to look pretty bad on DDP, and imo the normal size DD hands look too big on them as well. They only make the one type of DDP hand so atm you either use DD hands for other poses, or you live with a single hand pose in DDP size.

They have yet to make alternate busts for DDP too.

foo
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

Technically DDP can use any hands you can use on DD. They come with their own pair of hands that are slightly smaller than the normal DD hands. 

They really don't fit, they look very oversized and they fall off easily 😕 For some reason the interchangeable parts guide on the Volks' website doesn't include the f3 information, here's one from the latest booklet that comes with the dolls,

dd-interchangeable-parts.jpg

There currently aren't any option hands for DDP. I tried MDD hands and while they were snug they sculpt doesn't really work, including that it doesn't mate with the forearm's sculpt properly.

Note that it also has the DD3 -> f3 compatibility, saying that busts have different shoulder holes but they work.

Edited by foo

cfx
1 hour ago, foo said:

Note that it also has the DD3 -> f3 compatibility, saying that busts have different shoulder holes but they work.

I wonder if they're referring to the older DD3 busts with that statement? I think I talked about this somewhere on the old forum, but Volks changed that part of the busts during the DD3 lifespan; the older busts had the small holes that are sized like the shoulder pins; later ones have them cut out large like the DD2 busts. When I first got one of these I thought I got a DD2 part in a DD3 package so I asked Volks (Japan) about it. I had to email twice before I got an answer and had already found the info before they finally did, but they confirmed this.

I'm pretty sure there's a picture of what I'm talking about somewhere on the forum but I can't find it now.

Given there's only one set of current busts, with DD3 part numbers, I don't think there was any further change specific to f3.

foo
10 minutes ago, cfx said:

Volks changed that part of the busts during the DD3 lifespan; the older busts had the small holes that are sized like the shoulder pins

I remember that :3 That’s probably what they’re talking about. 

cfx

Yes that's it, though I don't remember if I had seen that particular thread or something else.

I see reasons for this were being speculated there. I'm unaware if Volks ever stated anything, but from using both types I had some ideas. First, like is mentioned in that thread, it may make the shoulder area look better since the arms can go further into the bust piece. Second, it makes it a lot easier to put the arms in because you can see the internal frame. Third, the larger outer diameter of the shoulder pieces after the DD3 frame was modified probably helps this work better as there's not as much empty space in that area.

If you look at one of the old busts, I don't think they changed the master mold at all; as there was already a "cut line" for the larger hole.

I wonder how many changes like this Volks has made? I have one older pair of thighs that have much larger holes for the knee joint. It makes it easier to insert the shin frame part without heating the vinyl, but it also makes the vinyl not always realign right when you repose the doll since there is more play. Oddly, that pair of thighs has a cut line for even larger holes.