Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

katana

Smart Doll Clothing Style

katana

I was wondering if anyone else really likes the quality of the smart doll clothing, but is really sad that they only seem to sell one style of clothing. 

It looks like all the clothing sold on the smart doll site are more of the rugged and weathered style, but that doesn’t fit with my doll’s character. I love fashion myself, so I want to dress my girl in nice clothing that fits her.  

I know Danny has a style he likes, but I feel he could branch out a little. There’s so many other styles out there. I mean Japan is home to Harajuku and Shibuya, why not have some yumekawa or gyaru clothes?? It would also be nice to have some more “fun” type clothes, like school uniforms, maid dresses, and other stuff. 

Do you think Danny will ever branch out? Because I know at least I would drop a nice chunk of change for an outfit if I thought it was cute.

• Like 1

Talolili

He did have traditional yukata and maid uniforms but most of it is sold out and discontinued now. I'm a fan of casual styles but more variety would be nice. Due to the cost, I tend to buy most of my Smart Dolls' clothing from Etsy and secondhand sources. 

suigintou

Hm, I have noticed that aswell. Having a section of cutesy, softer clothes would likely market well, but I suppose SmD, in Danny's head, are supposed to be more realistic, casual dolls. I dunno.

Meowjima

The quality is good, but the variety, not so much.  The prices also seem to be a bit hefty, especially considering a lot of the official Volks outfits - outfits, mind you - can be about the same price as a single article of clothing.

NeeP

I am very disappointed that I cannot get clothing for my boys now.  The variety, and now pants, are gone.  I am willing to buy items if they are available, but I also want to diversify in the selection.  They don't all need the same white shirt, if you know what I mean...

• Like 2

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

SiofraLu

Dany says the clothes have to fit his dedication to “wabi sabi” so that’s why they’re casual and weathered. He wants them to be clothes a doll can go adventuring in. I don’t think we’ll be seeing any harajuku styles any time soon. 

bigpalebluejuice

I totally agree with you! The clothes smart doll sells are really nice, but kinda.... bland? And while the quality is very good, I feel like I can find clothes of the same quality for much cheaper on Etsy. While I do wish smart doll would make more original clothing, I feel like they'd also sell it for superrrr expensive. Like, the summer uniform was really cute, but it was around 150 USD I believe?

That_Dollfie_Dude

I agree with all of you here.  I love my Doll clothing from the Smart Doll shop.  I think the uniform in the store now is cute, but it's so grey.  If they release another cute uniform with some more pretty colors then I will definitely buy it.  I would love a mix of casual adventure clothes, and cute dressup clothes. 

AliensOfGold

I love the quality workmanship of his clothing, but material choice and style of most items makes me not want to purchase and especially for the price he charges for each item.

At the moment he’s selling that Britannia dress which I really like the design of, but I can’t stand the massive union jack on the front of it. I’m hoping (but doubtful) he’ll make a plain version sometime in the near future.

Hiroshima denim items are another love it/hate it item. I love them because of the build quality and design, but I hate that deep blue look to the denim. I have the skirt that I’ve tried multiple times now with no success to fade but it just won’t give.

That_Dollfie_Dude

I do like the hiroshima jeans a lot.  I have them for Prowess.  I have the pink jean shorts too, which are super cute paired with one of the t-shirts or the nice lace top.  But sometimes I don't want casual or "adventure" clothes and I just need to dress her up to be ultra adorable and super cute.  I would love some more goth loli stuff if I could find things that would fit her well.  So far I've ordered from etsy this outfit and these knee socks to fill some of the gap left by the Culture Japan store offerings.  I bet these kinds of cute outfits would sell super well if Danny would have them in the official store.

Edited by Prowess_dollie

ladyroselie

I agree that the post-apocalyptic style is pretty one note. Even the recent Mori Girl outfit was still so zombie movie 🙈 I would like to see more colorful items, more pretty items. The recent reveal of the white floral pants is the only thing I've seen so far that I like. 

Figura4

I like the casual style of Danny’s clothes, represents quite the style of my ideal girl, simple, but very feminine and stylish. I miss sneakers, a Converse style would be nice. Clothes are expensive, true, but then I think they’re handmade doesn’t seem so expensive anymore. We are too used to buying clothes produced by machines and in large quantities and by people in very poor working conditions.

I guess that’s the style he wants for his girls. If you want to buy a dress, you can always buy it from another manufacturer, or do it yourself, can’t you?

And... I forget the many warnings and tips to NOT buy smart doll... I think it’s an exclusive hobby, and it’s not suitable for every pocket. If I can finally buy one, I know she will not have a lot of clothes, but I don’t worry, little by little I’ll get it.

Sneakers... where can I get a pair? I see that it is difficult to find good quality shoes (sneakers). There are many problems with the size, sometimes they are big, sometimes too small.

BeyondTime
31 minutes ago, Figura4 said:

And... I forget the many warnings and tips to NOT buy smart doll... I think it’s an exclusive hobby, and it’s not suitable for every pocket. If I can finally buy one, I know she will not have a lot of clothes, but I don’t worry, little by little I’ll get it.

Once you have a girl (or boy) that you like, it’s hard not to buy clothing for them. It’s more a case of you see an outfit that fits the character and you have to have it. At least that’s my experience. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Figura4
31 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Once you have a girl (or boy) that you like, it’s hard not to buy clothing for them. It’s more a case of you see an outfit that fits the character and you have to have it. At least that’s my experience. 

I think you’re right. I’ve been surfing the web for a while, and I’ve already seen two t-shirts and a skirt that would look great on her... this is gonna be my ruin! 

I probably will buy the cargo pants and the sequoia jacket at SD store (I love them), and the prevention leggings too... and the t-shirt and sneakers somewhere else... I love the 3 ring Boots, but I don’t have enough money. On the next order maybe.

Edited by Figura4

Katsudon
1 hour ago, Figura4 said:

Sneakers... where can I get a pair? I see that it is difficult to find good quality shoes (sneakers). There are many problems with the size, sometimes they are big, sometimes too small.

If you're okay with cheap and cheerful, aliexpress is the place. You can get canvas sneakers for around $3 a pair (don't pay more than that, because then you're just overpaying for the same stuff).

Having seen people customise them, I'm kinda tempted to get a few pairs to have fun with!

I did get some good ones back in the day for my MSD size resin dolls, but the shop will be long gone. Maybe I'll just go have a look around and add any links to this post. To be continued!

Edit: Alice's collection has some trainers here http://www.acbjd.com/shoes-shoes-c-1_21.html?page=5&sort=20a and here http://www.acbjd.com/shoes-boots-c-1_20.html?page=2&sort=20a although they only have a couple of canvas shoes in stock at the moment.

Luts have some trainers, but they're on the more expensive side, and you have to keep browsing through to see the rest https://m.eluts.com/product/list.html?cate_no=154&page=4 (make sure the size is right. 7.5cm inner length will fit a Smart Doll iirc)

Edited by Katsudon
Adding links

BeyondTime
30 minutes ago, Figura4 said:

I love the 3 ring Boots, but I don’t have enough money. On the next order maybe.

The boot soles on the SmD shoes I have are very detailed, like little mini shoes, but of course it’s Jimmy Choo shoes so it’s going to be very nice. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Figura4
1 minute ago, Katsudon said:

If you're okay with cheap and cheerful, aliexpress is the place. You can get canvas sneakers for around $3 a pair (don't pay more than that, because then you're just overpaying for the same stuff).

Having seen people customise them, I'm kinda tempted to get a few pairs to have fun with!

I did get some good ones back in the day for my MSD size resin dolls, but the shop will be long gone. Maybe I'll just go have a look around and add any links to this post. To be continued!

I have bad experiences with Aliexpress. I bought a lot of items for photo studio, but before I found a quality manufacturer, I bought a lot of trash. Having good references from some user would be a great help. Although for a few euros, I can try it.

Figura4

Shoes look spectacular on the pictures, they really look like miniature shoes. I also saw a video on his website of the shoemaker working. I’m aware that anything else won’t have the same quality.

BeyondTime
15 minutes ago, Figura4 said:

Shoes look spectacular on the pictures, they really look like miniature shoes. I also saw a video on his website of the shoemaker working. I’m aware that anything else won’t have the same quality.

His shoes are the only shoes I’ve seen with that kind of detail on the soles. Volks has nice designs for the shoe itself, but the soles tend to be a simple plastic. Granted, women’s heels don’t really have a textured sole to replicate.

In the past DollHeart and Tata BJD have made some amazing shoe styles too. Some of DollHeart’s past designs were very Avant-Garde. Of course SmartDoll feet aren’t the best fit in shoes designed to DD/SD, so IMO your best option is Mirai brand shoes for your SmartDoll. 

Figura4
38 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

His shoes are the only shoes I’ve seen with that kind of detail on the soles. Volks has nice designs for the shoe itself, but the soles tend to be a simple plastic. Granted, women’s heels don’t really have a textured sole to replicate.

In the past DollHeart and Tata BJD have made some amazing shoe styles too. Some of DollHeart’s past designs were very Avant-Garde. Of course SmartDoll feet aren’t the best fit in shoes designed to DD/SD, so IMO your best option is Mirai brand shoes for your SmartDoll. 

Thank you! I think in the end the best option is to buy all the clothes I can in the original site, besides, I see that it is very difficult to get in aftermarket.

I will abandon PVC figures, and invest my money in pretty clothes. She’ll be better dressed than me! LOL

I’ll also try to make clothes myself and save some money.

davidd

The clothing styles available at the Smart Doll store seem to change over time. As noted above, colorful school uniforms were previously offered in two or three different colors, as were maid uniforms. The "beer girl" dress was pretty, even in brown (or especially in brown). It was re-released in a "holiday" red color, and I wish I had picked one up!

The current shoe offerings seem to be a bit sparse and, to my eye, bland, but there have been some impressive and spectacular shoes released through the Smart Doll Store, and I hope to see some again. (Hint: the tall boots!)

I recently purchased the Smart Doll Baseball Cap in "wine" color, and Addie (Cocoa Mirai) loves it:

addie_cap1.jpg

I love it, too, despite the price. The description on the Smart Doll store site cautions about the price. However, for a cap of comparable quality in "human scale," the price would run about the same. This is not a cheaply made polyester or plastic "trucker hat" from a spinner rack at a dollar store. The cap is made of robust denim in authentic "old school" six-panel configuration, with brass ventilation grommets in four of the panels, and a heavy cloth size adjustment strap in back with a metal buckle. It is a very nice hat, easily on par with full-size caps from quality hat retailers like J. Peterman or Quaker Marine.

The quality is something I have noticed in every clothing item (too many... but yet not enough) that I have purchased from the Smart Doll Store. I have not yet purchased any of the heavily weathered "post-apocalyptic" clothing, so I cannot offer any observations on the flaws I have seen reported. I can say that I have not been disappointed in the quality of any of the Smart Doll Apparel items I have personally purchased.

(The grey cap came back in to stock after I had placed my order! I hope it's still around when I have replenished my "hobby fund.")

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, Figura4 said:

Thank you! I think in the end the best option is to buy all the clothes I can in the original site, besides, I see that it is very difficult to get in aftermarket.

Some of the other makers out there do make nice stuff. You can get top quality tailoring in Korea for human clothing and the price is better than Japan. The cost of living is very high in Japan, and that affects the final price. The quality is very good, but not necessarily better than other parts of Asia.

I’ve always been advised that if I ever visit Korea or Vietnam, to go get an overcoat hand made by one of the local tailors. They have some of the best in the world, and it’s cheaper than France or Italy.

Tenukihandcrafts

I have a No Sheep tee and the Solar Marine outfit for Blake and really love them. The tailoring is impeccable with interesting seams and full size zipper pulls, which I appreciate. I’m a fan of sci fi / cyberpunk/ apocalypse, so the Smartie clothes are perfect for my gal’s style.

It’s nice to have options besides the standard Kawaii / Lolita styles that most shops offer. 

I wish Danny made his clothing in BJD sizes. 😂

Scholar

My first Smartdoll was actually a Crimson and his clothes were amazing. <3 They were very well made.