The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Creepy Doll Comments

So, I ended up going to this networking event, and people always ask what I do. So I tell them I'm a Toy Photographer and one guy actually asked to see some pictures. I pull out my phone and show him my website. The first section he pulls up is the one with photos of Candie. Once he's done scrolling through them he tells me that she's the creepiest doll he's ever seen. 🤣

My question for you guys is: Have you ever been told your girls are creepy?

Gabriel

Yeah, sometimes explicitly, mostly implicitly.

Just about everyone offline I show pictures of my dolls to makes it clear in one way or another that they find them creepy.  They think the dolls are spooky and they think it's disturbing that I own them and it's creepy that I give them names.

amarilian

I've had people say they are scared of my girls and it reminds them too much of Annabelle..

These are the dolls you're looking for, no you cannot haz them they r mine:)

6 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Yeah, sometimes explicitly, mostly implicitly.

Just about everyone offline I show pictures of my dolls to makes it clear in one way or another that they find them creepy.  They think the dolls are spooky and they think it's disturbing that I own them and it's creepy that I give them names.

Yeah, I didn't get the thing about owning them or giving them names, since all he saw were the pictures. He didn't really ask me more about Candie either, but I guess he was too creeped out to want to know more? He quickly switched over to another section... 🤣

Just now, amarilian said:

I've had people say they are scared of my girls and it reminds them too much of Annabelle..

Yeah, I guess popular culture, at this point, has made a point of making dolls seem creepy. Lucky for him I didn't have any pictures of Irae (Little Apple Doll) in my portfolio! 🤣

amarilian

I've also had people tell me it's cool to see a foreigner at doll shows, also.  Then leave the event to get wierd stares and off topic comments about me and my companion.

1 minute ago, amarilian said:

I've also had people tell me it's cool to see a foreigner at doll shows, also.  Then leave the event to get wierd stares and off topic comments about me and my companion.

Yeah, I think that's why doll carriers are important. Mine kind of looks like a duffel bag, so nobody is the wiser unless I pull her out. Unfortunately, I think Danny Choo has given people the false impression that dolls are accepted as a companion when traveling. I know most people think it's weird/odd. Not just DD/SmD but any doll, plush, or toy. Especially if you are over the age of two or three. A lot of times, it comforts me to have a figure or something with me, but I always think twice before taking anything that I can't keep in my pocket. 🤷‍♂️

amarilian

Actually I really don't care what people say.  I'm good to carry around my dolls when I'm out taking pictures, traveling around, etc.  I'll eventually put her up. If the train or subway is packed, I may put my girls up I may not.  But I do get a lot of nice wifu, or weirdo comments.  On a lighter note, I really am not a big fan of the volks bag.  The straps are awful and I cant seem to not find a comfortable position.  Photography is an art form, and dolls are a subject that you don't have to worry about getting permission to take.  Hence why I  like Bjd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, amarilian said:

On a lighter note, I really am not a big fan of the volks bag.  The straps are awful and I cant seem to not find a comfortable position.

You can buy a new strap that feels better and replace the straps. I think that other companies also sell doll carriers that might work better for you. :)

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, amarilian said:

Actually I really don't care what people say.  I'm good to carry around my dolls when I'm out taking pictures, traveling around, etc.  I'll eventually put her up. If the train or subway is packed, I may put my girls up I may not.  But I do get a lot of nice wifu, or weirdo comments.  On a lighter note, I really am not a big fan of the volks bag.  The straps are awful and I cant seem to not find a comfortable position.  Photography is an art form, and dolls are a subject that you don't have to worry about getting permission to take.  Hence why I  like Bjd.

It's not really a traditional shoulder strap, they clearly intend the bag to go across your back as opposed to being carried at your side. I always ended up using the carry handles.

It might have to do with how space conscious Japan is. Taking up more space than you need to is considered rude there.

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

1 minute ago, BeyondTime said:

It's not really a traditional shoulder strap, they clearly intend the bag to go across your back as opposed to being carried at your side. AI always ended up using the carry handles.

You're right! I didn't even think about that because I tend to carry it on my back normally.

Chihaya

Opposite for me, I work at a pretty traditional brick yard and it's all dudes. I never take my dolls out but everyone at work has seen pictures of them and they have pretty rave reviews xD

Dollfie Dreamer, Minion of GEOTUS, idolm@ster

Zaliayn

My brother tells me he finds my dolls creepy all the time, I actually find it quite funny lol. And he's even more freaked out when I start taking my dolls apart and have a row of headless dolls just sat on a shelf 🤣

I don't really understand the whole "dolls are creepy" thing since I've never found them to be like that, although I will admit I don't really like them 'staring' at me too much - but then I also have to flip magazines over so that the person on the front isn't staring at me either lol. I think I just have this thing about being watched! 😨

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zaliayn said:

My brother tells me he finds my dolls creepy all the time, I actually find it quite funny lol. And he's even more freaked out when I start taking my dolls apart and have a row of headless dolls just sat on a shelf 🤣

I don't really understand the whole "dolls are creepy" thing since I've never found them to be like that, although I will admit I don't really like them 'staring' at me too much - but then I also have to flip magazines over so that the person on the front isn't staring at me either lol. I think I just have this thing about being watched! 😨

Oh, I laughed really hard on the inside when I was told Candie is the creepiest doll he's ever seen. I designed her to be a vampire. That's why I gave her the human blue eyes instead of the anime eyes. And, to be honest, her eyes freak me out, too! I get totally creeped out by eyes and eyeballs... But they are so awesome to shoot!

Mega Negi

Then again, some people are actively looking for that kind of reaction...

WTFMikuu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

Stare into the "Creepy Eyes of Darkness" ™

IMG_3218.JPG

BeyondTime

Doesn’t look all that creepy to me. I was expecting a horror / goth thing or something. 

I do know people who find dolls creepy, but they’re wierd. 

• Haha 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

K-2

Dolls are nowhere near as creepy as fantasy sports.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

MVSig.jpg

Mothiraffe

I bought one of my first dolls because she looked deranged. It's part of the Eris charm! My friend just today said that the fact that my dolls sit on a shelf and stare at me is "disturbing," which is very amusing.

Scary dolls are fun too~

IMG_8240e 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

BeyondTime

Now I’m seriously wondering how many friends have run screaming from Billy’s house never to return. 😄

Maybe this is the magic bullet for keeping religious cults off your doorstep too: “Talk to the doll, she talks to God on my behalf. She can talk to Him for you too.”

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Sniiksnak

Honestly, my favourite thing to do to my family when I first got into the hobby was, to turn my girl’s heads to look at them and greet them in a deep voice. 

• Haha 2

cfx

I find a lot of resin dolls creepy. I find the ones with odd proportions like very widely-spaced eyes very creepy. I find the Dollfie Icons creepy. I also think that the animal ones are creepy. I'm pretty sure some of these dolls kill people while they are asleep. :lol:

But I probably wouldn't tell someone I found their doll creepy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Silent

It is not problem what people think. The problem is when they tell you or others. Because they found energy and use it against you. And that is dagnerous.

Also yes it is pity that film Annabel and other doll horrors make people go crazy about them. A student in my school in our studio also afraids of them.

"Beware the living."

• Like 1

My mom only thought my Mirai was creepy when I put pupil-less red eyes in lol. I wouldn't mind seeing more creepy DDs though. I love ones with regular bjd eyes for that reason. It's just such an impact to see a cute doll looking spooky.

I feel like most people with dolls this size treat them so well though that they wouldn't have a desire to hurt. 💗

@Mothiraffe That particular picture of Eris makes me laugh whenever I see it. I want a weird little Mayu too.

YumiHara

A few weeks ago at Anime Expo, I was carrying my Anya around and a few people have told me she was creepy and/or scary. That didn't bother me at all because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

• Like 2

CaffeinatedCake

I don't generally take mine out in public but I showed a young cousin a picture of one once and she just very bluntly said "That's REALLY CREEPY." and like, I wasn't offended, but I was taken aback by her bluntness 😂 My mom taught me early on that if I didn't have something nice to say, not to say anything at all, and I guess her mother didn't teach her the same yet!

I think the only time I've actually weirded someone out is when I left doll groupchat up on my phone and walked away at work bc I wasn't thinking and my coworker saw a nude Kinoko Juice and was like "yo what the heck" and I was like "UHM WHOOPS." The discomfort showed on their face and idk if it was more from the doll itself or the fact it was naked 😂  

Help! I fell into DD hell!