Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Creepy Doll Comments

Devonian

The worst comments I've gotten have been on image hosting sites, people can be really gross. Thankfully the people in my life, even though some of them find them creepy, all appreciate that it's something I care about and mostly make supportive comments.

Oliver

I once did a presentation on my dolls in school (we where allowed to chose any subject).

I brought one to show and overal ive gotten positive remarks. However, and i feel bad i didnt ask first, there was one guy in my class that had a phobia of dolls and had to leave.

Lina

One of my exes found my DZ Yume so creepy he said he couldn't look at my chat window when I had her as an avatar and begged me to change it. I did but I thought it really funny at the same time.

samseramsamsam

Hehehe, one of my friends is so afraid of my dolls that he'll rather spend the night on the couch than in the room where I keep my dolls - and the guest bed.

Most negative comments I have gotten where not about the dolls being creepy, but rather about the amount of money involved... but then again, I don't drink/smoke or buy drugs etc XD

ChrisFhey
2 minutes ago, samseramsamsam said:

Hehehe, one of my friends is so afraid of my dolls that he'll rather spend the night on the couch than in the room where I keep my dolls - and the guest bed.

Most negative comments I have gotten where not about the dolls being creepy, but rather about the amount of money involved... but then again, I don't drink/smoke or buy drugs etc XD

I usually just tell people they're better off not knowing what my doll cost. 😄

• Like 2

monkeypizzasonic

My parents joke about my dolls being creepy and expensive, but my mom really likes my Volks Alice and was sad when I told her I was selling some of the bigger dolls. That's just how they are. 

Veravey

I can tell my boyfriend finds them a bit unnerving, but he still supports me and helped me get my SmDs <3 my sisters called them creepy outright hahaha but I was expecting that when I started the hobby last year.

For now, I'm ashamed to admit I hide the hobby from others. I'll open up about it in due time. Part of it, too, is that we haven't had guests over in so long due to the circumstances.

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

CaraOReilly

My wife is terrified of mannequins and so she was also scared of the Minifee that I have, but she sort of started to come around and actually encouraged me to get the Azone I now have and she even helps me with the photography now, I just need better lighting still. My work friends are pretty accepting of it.

AZONE IRIS COLLECT SUMIRE: CARA O'REILLY

ChrisFhey

Most people I know have not really commented on Naoko beyond the odd "Oh, that's cool", or "I'm not that into dolls. I like your figures more." But none of them have really been negative I have to say.

My mum actually likes Nao, and she's even gifted her a new dress (which still has to arrive, but hey, I'm not complaining about a free dress. 😄)

CaraOReilly
7 minutes ago, ChrisFhey said:

Most people I know have not really commented on Naoko beyond the odd "Oh, that's cool", or "I'm not that into dolls. I like your figures more." But none of them have really been negative I have to say.

My mum actually likes Nao, and she's even gifted her a new dress (which still has to arrive, but hey, I'm not complaining about a free dress. 😄)

Free dress!?! Lucky!!!

AZONE IRIS COLLECT SUMIRE: CARA O'REILLY

ChrisFhey
54 minutes ago, CaraOReilly said:

Free dress!?! Lucky!!!

Yup! I'll be sure to post photos when it and her new shoes arrive. :3

• Like 1

abs2891

My parents have always been supportive and my sisters collected dolls right along with me growing up so I got lucky there.  The two creepy doll comments I know of both came from people convinced my porcelain dolls would kill them in their sleep.  The first was from a house sitter who stayed in the room at my parents house where my childhood dolls are since I haven’t had a chance to move them (very old pic below) He told my mom he couldn’t understand how I could sleep with them all staring at me all the time.  The second was from a friend who just couldn’t get my love of dolls but was all in good fun.

4A2B9BF1-524C-4760-B1BC-858CF247102CB7F9EC70-781A-4D88-8A1E-6F9B06F369B3

• Haha 1

Maia

The only lying down  with it’s head turned is terrifying 

• Haha 1

abs2891
37 minutes ago, Mars said:

The only lying down  with it’s head turned is terrifying 

Her neck has definitely gone wonky there lol 

Jezrah

My sister also comments about my dolls being creepy and staring. Recently she came to tour my house since she hadn't been here before (she lives in another state), and she made a comment like that. I told her that no they don't stare, because I make a point to pose them all differently and they aren't all looking at any one point. She said oh but that doll there is looking at me. I responded, that's because you're standing directly where she's looking. @onion37@

• Haha 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Gabriel
19 minutes ago, Jezrah said:

My sister also comments about my dolls being creepy and staring. Recently she came to tour my house since she hadn't been here before (she lives in another state), and she made a comment like that. I told her that no they don't stare, because I make a point to pose them all differently and they aren't all looking at any one point. She said oh but that doll there is looking at me. I responded, that's because you're standing directly where she's looking. @onion37@

It does seem like a lot of people just automatically find a doll's gaze unnerving.  I could certainly see that for some dolls, but not all.  In fact, for my girls, their eyes are probably my favorite qualities.  Then again, I tend to think of all my girls having fairly warm and friendly looks, as it's something of a criteria I go for.  Even still, I've been told, "they look like alien (greys) with their big bug eyes."

You also reminded me of something funny.  Back when I was taking pictures of my girls and sharing them, one of the comments I got from someone was "it's really creepy how you try to pose them like they're real."  This was someone who didn't have any issues with me showing off Transformers or Macross planes in action poses, but the dolls?  Nope, that was creepy.

Oddly, one of the pictures I did which drew the most offline comments about how creepy it was was my picture of my DD named Amber holding a Mego Mr Spock in front of a Enterprise Bridge Playset.  She was just a fully dressed doll, holding another doll, in about as non-creepy of a situation as you can imagine, and for some reason a few people reacted like I had taken a picture of a murder scene or something.

• Like 1

apag22

A few months back, I was trying to decide between a few Smds. I posted in a facebook group called "I group that makes small decisions for you" to try and help come to a decision. A majority of the comments were telling me I "better not put the doll in a jar" or if I was going to have "relations" with them 🤮 a few BJD collectors popped up in the comments saying they were excited for me to get another, but I eventually had to mute the thread because the unwarranted sexual comments were SO much. I should've known better than to post about dolls in a group that isn't part of the hobby... I did end up picking out Felicity, though!

Edited by apag22

🎎instagram🎎

Doll Family: SmD Mirai, SmD Felicity, MDD Liliru (Yuki), MDD Mochi Ashi (Sakrua), Volks YoSD Lin (Eleanor)

Waiting on: Isla Dolls Raspberry, Volks SDM-F-45, Volks SD-F-22

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, apag22 said:

A majority of the comments were telling me I "better not put the doll in a jar" or if I was going to have "relations" with them 🤮 a few BJD collectors popped up in the comments saying they were excited for me to get another, but I eventually had to mute the thread because the unwarranted sexual comments were SO much.

The internet is full of adults with severely arrested development. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

simsimmerton77

I share many viewpoints here, and I used to be the same about a magazine.  If there was a picture on the front and the "picture was looking at me", I'd turn it over.  Now I'm like "meh" look at me all you want ... 😂

I like the happy looking dolls with smiles on their face or a curious expression.  I find it really cool and have no worries about if the dolls are "looking at me".  Forgive me if I've said this in prior comments, but people have stared at the mona lisa for centuries and wondered "what is she smiling about".  The Mona Lisa is just paint on a canvas.  How is that different from Resin or Vinyl?  (Preaching to the choir!)

Jezrah

I always think it's funny that a staring doll is supposedly creepy but a pile of cute stuffed animals, which also have eyes, is fine.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Maia

Maybe because dolls look more human like 

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Mars said:

Maybe because dolls look more human like 

That's exactly it for a lot of people. Dolls look too much like people and it weirds them out.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Maia

I guess it makes sense it’s like how some people find robots creepy