Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Creepy Doll Comments

Wasabi
3 hours ago, xtedvisuals said:

For my personal experience, people not in our hobby basically find my dolls creepy.  From IRL friends/family to online communities.  Most notably, for FFXIV now that Y'shtola was announced.  A shame but it is what it is.  When I finally started doing toy photography, I am slowly learning to just not care if it's towards mine.  That said, I do take exception to people that take their time to shame us and our hobby on social media like it's the most disturbing thing in the world.  At this point, I will just think it's out of ignorance or malice.

Ah yeah... I wandered over to Reddit to see how the general fanbase reacted and it was a bit depressing. Hardly anyone talked about it at all, and most comments that were made were along the lines of "looks weird", "looks nothing like the character", "way to expensive". 

The "too expensive" comments I expected. Anyone not in the hobby will probably get a shock first time they see the price. But I honestly expected more people to like her, even if she is out of their budget. 

I wan't in the hobby when they announced the Nier collaboration. Was the reaction to those dolls similar? Because I remember seeing the 2B doll, and I was genuinely so impressed by how close her likeness is. She's the first Dollfie that I legitimately considered buying (apart from the fact that I only found out after the pre-order already ended).

• Like 1

xtedvisuals
1 hour ago, Wasabi said:

Ah yeah... I wandered over to Reddit to see how the general fanbase reacted and it was a bit depressing. Hardly anyone talked about it at all, and most comments that were made were along the lines of "looks weird", "looks nothing like the character", "way to expensive". 

The "too expensive" comments I expected. Anyone not in the hobby will probably get a shock first time they see the price. But I honestly expected more people to like her, even if she is out of their budget. 

I wan't in the hobby when they announced the Nier collaboration. Was the reaction to those dolls similar? Because I remember seeing the 2B doll, and I was genuinely so impressed by how close her likeness is. She's the first Dollfie that I legitimately considered buying (apart from the fact that I only found out after the pre-order already ended).

To be fair, I don't think they (FFXIV reddit) expected a doll, they probably expected something like a statue from Prime One Studios since that's something Square-Enix did for NieR just recently despite releasing 2 Dollfie Dreams 2B & 9S a year or two prior.  But I think they will still find something to nitpick like the price, she doesn't look like her, size of the statue (I imagine they would do a 1/4 scale), etc.  But they got Y'shtola in doll form.  The "dolls are creepy" stigma definitely hit home for the FFXIV base because we have a dungeon boss in the game that consists of dolls that were intentionally made to look creepy so that's one heck of a PTSD for them.  

That being said, I think some of them just want to give negative feedback "dolls are creepy" "she doesn't look like her" "who wants to spend 1k on that!?" just to troll each other.  I think a lot of them secretly want her but just not in a position to do it.   

I think the NieR collaboration reaction was fine.  At least for our side anyway.  Since both 2B and 9S were both realistic in their design, they had to use the Super Dollfie look despite not being Super Dollfies.  We were more concerned about if the blindfold visors had any sort of white lining so we don't stain their faces. 

• Like 1

apag22
17 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

Most of my friends find my dolls creepy lol I am used to it by now. But it always breaks my heart a little.

my friend's husband won't even let us discuss dolls in our group chat. I think he is being over dramatic for the lols, but in reality it upsets me how mean he is to dolls.

• Like 1

🎎instagram🎎

Doll Family: SmD Mirai, SmD Felicity, MDD Liliru (Yuki), MDD Mochi Ashi (Sakrua), Volks YoSD Lin (Eleanor)

Waiting on: Isla Dolls Raspberry, Volks SDM-F-45, Volks SD-F-22

Wasabi
7 hours ago, xtedvisuals said:

The "dolls are creepy" stigma definitely hit home for the FFXIV base because we have a dungeon boss in the game that consists of dolls that were intentionally made to look creepy so that's one heck of a PTSD for them.  

Calcabrina scaring people is, I think, more of an exaggerated reaction for most people and somewhat of a general meme. There are definitely people that dislike the Anti Tower dungeon because of the final boss fight, but overal the reception of Calcabrina was very good. Most likely because it is a throwback to the FFIV(?) boss.

I do think that you make a good point about people making negative comments because they are not in a position to purchase her. I had not considered that yet.

• Like 1

Monty

I think a lot of the negativity toward Y’shtola is also because she’s on the log in screen (or she was, I don’t know if she still is) as an advertisement, so players are ‘forced to’ see her whenever they log in. A lot of the complaints I see are acting like having to see this doll every time they want to play the game is something horrific being inflicted on them.

I personally think the most hurtful comments are the people who seem to think that the doll could only possibly have erotic purposes (because ‘a doll aimed at adults and not kids’ can only possibly be THAT kind of doll…) and that anyone who wants her is some kind of pervert. I saw multiple comments of people expressing horror and disgust that they ‘heard those kind of dolls are anatomically correct’. (A friend of mine even had an argument on reddit with someone  about this - they kept saying that the doll had to be for perverts if it had ‘that’ kind of detail, and when my friend told them that actually no DDs barely have any detail, they tried to argue that they did??)

Sure there’s a subset of people who want to know their dolls in the biblical sense but they’re not the target audience, especially not for Y’shtola, and I personally feel offended to be lumped in with them. I can’t change someone’s mind if they genuinely find dolls creepy (even though I think a lot of people only say so because it’s ‘funny’ to act like dolls are scary) but it’s way more frustrating when people have misconceptions about the entire hobby and insist that misconception is correct.

• Like 5

BeyondTime
22 minutes ago, Monty said:

I can’t change someone’s mind if they genuinely find dolls creepy (even though I think a lot of people only say so because it’s ‘funny’ to act like dolls are scary)

The point made in the article I posted a few posts back was that because dolls look human but aren’t it’s unsettling to us. They have faces, but don’t give the normal social queues and that bothers us on an instinctive level.

It might be interesting to see a study on why we think they’re cute when others find them creepy.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

ragnamuffin
2 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

It might be interesting to see a study on why we think they’re cute when others find them creepy.

I’ve wondered this too. Even within the community, everyone has a different standard for what constitutes “cute” and “creepy”.

Tasuke

some people just take to the stylized cuteness generally portrayed in girls and women in Anime and Manga, while others simply do not.

indeed, a deliberate study on the subject really would be most appreciated...

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Testament said:

213969491723620dea2b7347a5433c013ec30747

We’re an apex predator whose only predator is us, so looks human is probably good reason for your instincts to get triggered. 

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

ragnamuffin

Recently I was at a store looking at used dolls and overheard some guys with their girlfriends making comments about how “scary” and “creepy” they were (interestingly, their girlfriends kept insisting they were cute, not creepy).

I was a bit surprised because I guess after being steeped in the Japanese doll community for so long I just assumed Japanese people had more of an appreciation for dolls (and toys in general) and weren’t as creeped out by them as North Americans and Europeans seem to be.

It was equal parts jarring and amusing to be reminded that not everyone sees dolls the way we do, and that reminded me of this topic.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Roserolls

I haven't had anyone say my anime style dolls look creepy yet, but my more semi-realistic ones get it a lot. I find it more upsetting when people refer to doll collectors as creepy and weird, which seems to happen often.☹️

Also, not going to lie, I feel like a lot of people are just straight up lying or over exaggerating when they say they're scared of dolls? It reminds me of how everyone pretended to be super scared of clowns a couple years ago, or offended by pineapple on pizza, or grossed out by the word "moist". Like, I think it just kinda became a big meme/trend that kicked up after the movie "Annabelle" came out, and so now everyone has a knee-jerk reaction to say dolls are creepy when they see them. I even see people saying Barbies are creepy now lol.

Or maybe not, and the phobia is just way more widespread than it seemed before, who knows?

Pawjamas

None of my husband's friends nor my own who are 'doll people' like our dolls. 
They almost all have something silly to say about how weird they are, and that's fine. 
Family outright says they're stupid and a waste of money, that's fine.

It bothered me as a teen, but as I get older I just find myself caring less.
It's my money and my life, as long as I enjoy it that's a-okay with me.
People have hobbies I find weird or off-putting, too. That's just life. 😅

I just don't bring them up around people unless I know they like dolls.
Which is pretty easy since we keep ours in storage or in the master bedroom, no one ever goes back there and we keep the door shut because of the kitties.

ragnamuffin
45 minutes ago, Pawjamas said:

None of my husband's friends nor my own who are 'doll people' like our dolls. 
They almost all have something silly to say about how weird they are, and that's fine.

This strange elitism in the doll world is so weird. My mother collects Barbies and disparages my own dolls as ‘ugly’ and ‘inferior’ (it’s okay, I dish it out to her too 😜), but I suspect on some level she’s fascinated with BJD culture—buying these large, intricate dolls that cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars, swapping in and out endless varieties of eyes and wigs, dressing them in clothes that are for the most part of better quality and design than what’s available on the market for humans, etc.

She’d never admit it though 😂

• Like 1

roowheen

Want to share my little story. The weirdest comments I received were a few weeks ago when I finally got some time to take photos in the park. This wasn't my first time taking pictures outside, but previous time everything went just fine, but this time not really 😆
This park seemed quite calm and peaceful, but just right until I brought my doll there x) Suddenly there appeared like tons of old ladies, looking with disapproval and trying to get into the frame and moving unnaturally slowly after they succeeded, and also mommies, saying their children like my doll a lot and looking at me in a way like they expected something from me in return, but me, being 110% introverted and kinda triggered by all this attention, didn't find anything to say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ all these seem creepy enough to me, but since this topic is about comments:
After a 10 minutes in the park some weird looking heavily drunk couple started to run at me shouting from the other side of the field. When they were close enough they asked if I worship satan >:) Fortunately they were nice enough to leave after asking just a few more stupid question.

(I feel like all these sounds too sociophobic x)) but I don't really think it's fine to act like that and make other person feel uncomfortable on purpose)
_______

If talk in general. The most common thing I see in comments everywhere under the doll pics that most commonly were stolen from someone's Instagram -_- is people being really interested what is this, is it real or just 3d model, excited that it's real, but after they found out the doll cost they start to act like the fact that dolls cost this much offended them personally. I don't really understand that. But the creepiest thing for me is still accusing doll photographers in being perverts. Still happens here and there from time to time for no real reason, just because someone imagined in their head something that have nothing to do with reality :< every time I see this I become sad

Edited by roowheen
  • Haha 1

That_Dollfie_Dude
On 6/20/2022 at 7:23 AM, roowheen said:

But the creepiest thing for me is still accusing doll photographers in being perverts.

If someone goes out of their way to say this, then it really says more about them than anything.  They've unexpectedly found your doll attractive and are using you to process their own feelings of self-loathing as well as jealousy.  All of it masked, of course, with insincere righteous anger.

• Like 3