Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Aliens_Of_Gold

What types of accessories do people want?

Aliens_Of_Gold

Being relatively new to the doll community, I own a DDP and a Smart Doll, I'm not really in the know when it comes to the things people want for their dolls. I know what I want for them and I know I can't find it so I'd have to make them, but what are the most sought after accessory items people are always looking for.

I can only think for myself and those would be furniture and custom 3D printed and painted accessories like sci-fi items or fantasy things that no one really seems to make.

What are you guys after and if someone were willing and able to make them would you be willing to pay for them?

Moon-to-Starlight

Honestly, I may be in the minority here but I would like to see more mundane things but of better quality. I have a weakness for props but everything I seem to find is out of  size or just does not look like it's well made. I'd like to have in scale lamps, hair/care beauty items, kitchen supplies.... I may just be odd here, though.

• Like 1

Monty

It seems to me that lots of people want glasses. It is really, really hard to find good glasses for 1/3 dolls, especially outside Japan (there were recently some cute gachapon glasses thatjust happen to be 1/3 scale, for example). Most of the ones sold on places like acbjd don’t look good, otherwise there’s the smartdoll ones (which i don’t personally like the style of, let alone the price). I was lucky enough to be in Japan when those gacha glasses came out and otherwise got some at various doll events, but I am constantly getting English speaking fans asking where I got my various glasses and it’s usually disheartening to them to find out they probably need a proxy to get any. 

Im actually surprised Volks hasn’t released any - at least not recently. 

• Like 2

Aliens_Of_Gold

Glasses are a tough one. I have a pair I found on eBay and they're a bit ugly. I like the Smart Doll glasses, but they cost as much as my own and understandably so I guess since they're just miniature glasses from a real manufacturer from what I recall.

Working lamps has given me some ideas.

deinosor

I'd love more furniture for my girls. Nice upholstered armchairs, a coffee table. Just the kind of stuff I have in my own house really (which frankly is mostly IKEA), not necessarily fantasy stuff or anything. Working lamps would be great. I am on a tight budget though so stuff like that isn't always within my reach.

Pronouns: she/her

cfx
2 hours ago, Monty said:

Most of the ones sold on places like acbjd don’t look good, otherwise there’s the smartdoll ones (which i don’t personally like the style of, let alone the price).

Also apparently hazardous to use on DD. I remember @Sniiksnak's Rin got dents on her head from wearing them. I don't know if the dents came out later or not.

Yeah, even rings sometimes can leave dents in the soft vinyl.

Sniiksnak
8 hours ago, cfx said:

Also apparently hazardous to use on DD. I remember @Sniiksnak's Rin got dents on her head from wearing them. I don't know if the dents came out later or not.

They came out on their own eventually. Was scary at the time, though. Haven’t used em since.

• Like 1

Tierparkzone

I think headphones work as a nice prop for the dolls, but decent ones are fairly hard to come by.

Also something I'd really like to see, would be 1/3 scale game controllers (like Wiimotes, Dual Shocks etc.).

1/3 scale consoles themselves would be neat as well, but as a doll would likely interact more with the controller than the main unit, this wouldn't be as important. Also, all those mini retro classic consoles that came out in recent years got that covered to some degree.

• Like 1

RainbowNanaki
17 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

I think headphones work as a nice prop for the dolls, but decent ones are fairly hard to come by.

Also something I'd really like to see, would be 1/3 scale game controllers (like Wiimotes, Dual Shocks etc.).

1/3 scale consoles themselves would be neat as well, but as a doll would likely interact more with the controller than the main unit, this wouldn't be as important. Also, all those mini retro classic consoles that came out in recent years got that covered to some degree.

1/3 controllers and consoles are out there! American Girl XBox 360 Playstaton 4 controller 3DS

• Like 1

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

Gabriel

What I SAY I want is furniture.  My girls need chairs and tables and stuff.

But when it comes down to it, I don't spend any money on furniture.  I see the nice doll furniture and I'm like... that's more than I want to pay for that.  I want more outfits and shoes instead.

I've bought swords.  I'd like to buy some guns.  I remember seeing somewhere I could get 1/3 scale guns, and the price didn't scare me away.

I've bought a little 1/3 scale book.  I intended to buy more, but for the price and what it is... meh.

I say I'd like to get a backdrop for them for photos... but I never do that either.

So, I score myself very poorly on accessories.

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

But when it comes down to it, I don't spend any money on furniture.  I see the nice doll furniture and I'm like... that's more than I want to pay for that.  I want more outfits and shoes instead.

I've bought swords.  I'd like to buy some guns.  I remember seeing somewhere I could get 1/3 scale guns, and the price didn't scare me away.

I've bought a little 1/3 scale book.  I intended to buy more, but for the price and what it is... meh.

I say I'd like to get a backdrop for them for photos... but I never do that either.

So, I score myself very poorly on accessories.

You can get some pretty good collapsible backdrops from B&H Photo for $100 or less.

Denny Manufacturing sells some really nice ones, but they are in the $200 range.  

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx
2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

That's where I am with furniture. If Volks ever releases some I really like, like some they had before I was in the hobby, I might buy them, but anything they've had lately I don't love enough for the prices.

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I'd like to buy some guns.  I remember seeing somewhere I could get 1/3 scale guns, and the price didn't scare me away.

MRC imports "Easy Model" rifles that aren't too expensive: https://www.modelrectifier.com/staticdisplaymodels-gunmodels-s/162.htm

They can be found at some hobby shops online, and on ebay, though a lot of the ebay ones come from China and while these are made there I'm still wary. There are also the Trumpeter gun kits that Hobby Search sometimes has; I've read these are identical to the Easy Model except kits, but I don't know for sure. As I know I'll never get around to actually building a kit, I'm planning on getting the Easy Model ones, but I have procrastinated so far.

You probably know about the Volks machine gun. That's usually too expensive aftermarket but I managed to get that from Mandarake a while ago at an ok price. I've also thought about buying one of the KOS-MOS vulcans, which are down to about 6000 yen now from 10K or so a while ago.

It's all part of my Idols With Guns™ plan.

@onion36@

• Like 1

Aliens_Of_Gold

I agree that clothing and shoes beat furniture and accessories all the time, but I also have trouble finding shoes, furniture and accessories that I like or that are in stock and not over priced to the point of being ridiculous.

For smaller accessories like game controllers, computer peripherals, phones, etc 3d printing can take care of that without too many problems, but to make them presentable they need to be cleaned, sanded and painted to look good. Most places that I've seen that sell those types of 3d printed accessories for dolls only ever seem to sell you the raw print with maybe some light sanding to remove obvious flaws. They also sell them at ludicrous prices for what you're getting and the amount of material/work involved in the creation of the item. I guess if you're really into the smaller accessories and you love dolls that much then investing in a 3d printer could be worthwhile to you, but speaking for myself I would never pay those prices for 3d printed small goods.

Printed backgrounds are interesting. What about 3d scenes for taking pictures with. You could have a hot spring scene or a part of a classroom or somewhere else I can't think of. They'd have to be collapsible though since they'd take up a fair amount of room. That's also another thing about furniture that pushes me away, it's very large and space doesn't grow on trees so it would be nice if furniture you could buy was also collapsible in some way.

nettle_tea

I snagged a little PSP while I was visiting Japan a few months back. I like to pose my girls playing with it while I'm playing my own games. I was thinking it might be fun to collect stuff to set up a little gaming area for them.

I'm keeping my eye out for some DD or MDD sized tea sets that I like, too.

Moon-to-Starlight
10 minutes ago, nettle_tea said:

I'm keeping my eye out for some DD or MDD sized tea sets that I like, too.

Oooo, let me know if you find a place that sells DD sized tea sets, please? I have been looking for one, as well. Or even just some in scale mugs.

Riesz

For tea sets, American Girl has some older ones that pop up pretty often on eBay.  I bought a set that I think was for Samantha, that came with a teapot, one teacup, silver tray, some cute sweets, and a tiny doily. 

Dollfie-Sarah

I would love small replicas of designer bags like the Chanel flap haha and some Disney ears 

Heshiko

I have a lot of rifles and snacks, which I suppose betrays where my priorities lie 🤔

Glasses, whisky bottles and comfy chairs are the things I long for the most. 

• Like 1

Singer Yuna

I’m also low in accesories. My holy grail accesory was the blue Volks anniversary ring I snagged from Mandarake (when parcel arrived was .full of wigs too ..like the arrival of the LOTR ring, no girl has used yet, it’s my treasure) I have two earphones, now my second weapon, 2B’s katana (first was KOS-MOS fullset) and one chair, the infamous snow miku DD seat that IS NOT clear blue but Miku green. I want furniture and guns, but cheap guns xDD 

I also bought a light saber for MDD in the latest local convention.

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

Beani

I really want a 1/3 scale martini glass. Haven’t had much luck finding anything close to the right size yet.

Camping gear would also be adorable but the only ones I have found so far are not great quality or wayyy too expensive.  

BeyondTime
32 minutes ago, Beani said:

Camping gear would also be adorable but the only ones I have found so far are not great quality or wayyy too expensive. 

Yeah, I have a feeling that a DD sized backpack would be as expensive as a real backpack.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Poofiemus

My first thought was "hats". Just. .. hats. I'm realizing that DDs look flippin' ADORABLE in hats, but my one attempt at miniature millinery scarred me for life, so buying hats it is. (This isn't including knitted beanie type hats, which are pretty easy for me. I'm talking like. . hat. . . hats?? You know what I mean?) 

Maybe some more inventive shoes would be in order too--crazy ones, like sci fi or steampunk or fantasy shoes. Or just "dear god what hath fashion wrought" kind of shoes, especially for my Miku. I looked up 3D printed people shoes once and found some insane ones that I think would be super fun in doll size. 

And lastly Homura gives me a perennial need for firearms, though it seems to be much easier to find modern guns than antique style ones in doll size. I'd love for her to have a pair of flintlock pistols to flail around when everyone's in steampunk gear.

Edit: oh dude what about a GRAPPLING HOOK

tenor.gif

Edited by Poofiemus
GRAPPLING HOOK
  • Like 3

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.