The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mothiraffe

Beyond Dolls: Hobbies Outside of This One!

Mothiraffe

What do you guys like to get up to in your non-doll spare time? Tell me all about it! Let this thread be a way for us to get one another a bit better! ^^

In my case, I've mentioned in the past that I'm a big reptile/invertebrate enthusiast, and a dinky nature photographer on top of that. I also like to color things in my spare time to relax, as well as listen to music (everything from The Mountain Goats to Vocaloid tracks.) I have a fair fondness for anime and manga, and I spend much of my time perpetually glued to my Nintendo Switch; my spare time is regretfully limited, so I try to spend it on things I enjoy. I used to read a lot, but... finding books these days can be troublesome (please recommend me things!) I'm also a die-hard Pokemon fan and I collect capes~

And now, if you like, I'd love to hear about all of you! <3

• Like 2

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

AeroHail

Not including dolls and toy photograph:

I do digital art both for my self and commissions. I love drawing cute stuff and most my doll characters came from drawn characters in the first place. I'm quite invested in the characters I've created and I love learning about other's characters!

I love being in nature. Just chilling in the local forest, casually petting moss. Listening to birbs. Nothing better.

I'm a huge pokemon fan but mainly where it intersects with my digital art and toy photography fandoms. I've not been fully invested in a pokemon game since playing the mystery dungeon games. The main games pale in comparison =w='''

I love crystals, fossils and gemstones!

I'm currently going to japanese classes so a lot of my spare time is spent revising.

I recently started playing neopets again because I'm a grown adult and I make grown adult choices.

I look at a lot of pictures of possums....

I went through a phase where I got obsessed with a torn down city in China where I learned everything I could about it (kowloon walled city)

hhhhh

• Like 1

Mothiraffe

@AeroHail You have so many good interests fdgdfg I'd love to see some of your art and the characters that inspired your dolls!

Being in nature is always such a soothing thing for me as well; I live in a rural area and don't fare so well in places with a lot of people, but I'm completely content surrounded by the trees! (Except for once when I kicked a puffball mushroom by accident and sent a literal cloud of green spores flying everywhere. Scary!!!) 

I... get what you mean about Pokemon as well, I don't think I'll ever stop loving the franchise! But in the same vein... new PMD when, and also, if Sword and Shield aren't great I'm gonna die. I enjoyed X&Y at the time, and U/S/U/M where alright (Team Skull were SUCH a breath of fresh air!!!) but... while Gen6 probably had the absolute best connectivity of any game, it's still the generation I have the most trouble enjoying, and with some of the decisions Game Freak have made regarding SWSH, I'm... both excited and incredibly dismayed. For yet another generation OTL

Ahhh that's so lovely! I love fossils too, I have one of an ancient fern...somewhere in this house, and a few little quartz crystals on the table beside me. ^^

That's amazing! I......know the most basic passing snippets of conversational Japanese, but I can barely read any of it unfortunately. What is it like to study the language? Even if it's hard, it's really impressive that you're trying to learn. Ganbatte!!

Also re: Adult Decisions god it took ten months but I finally got back into my old Neo account with the help of TNT. I'M FINALLY HOME TT^TT
(What's your usernaaaame)
I still casually play on Subeta as well, and I used to be active on Flight Rising... I kind of stepped away from pet sites once I quit my job working for one. It's a whole Thing ^^;

That's so valid... possums are good and wholesome.

... I'm not gonna judge honestly, that sounds like an interesting thing to learn about! Tell me more if you like? :o

paps u ur a good bean fren

• Like 2

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

Akane

My hobbies outside of Doll collecting.

I love travelling and discovering new places.

Reading books, Fantasy, sci-fi, Graphic novels, manga and History (mostly far Eastern history) 

Huge Anime fan. Mostly 80s 90s and early 2000s anime. But I do like e a few of the modern ones too. My favourite anime character is Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell SAC and Haruhi Suzumiya. 

My favourite movie is Blade Runner. I have so many more but I can't add them all here. But most are 80s and 90s action movies. 

Gaming is mostly JRPG's final fantasy games and online, Persona games, and Pokemon.  I own every gaming console new and old. 

Nature and wildlife. 

• Like 1

Mothiraffe

@Akane Ahhh traveling is always so good! Where have you always wanted to go? And what was the favorite place you've been to? (If you're comfortable sharing!)

I need to get back into reading. What are some of your favorite series? ^^

I think we're of similar tastes anime-wise. I was raised in the utopia of the anime boom, and I still consider some of the first ones I saw to be my favorite works of media to this day. You've picked some excellent favorite characters, too!! (Being around for Endless Eight while it was airing is a cultural event that you just... can't explain after the fact.)

You're so valid, I'm surprised that that one hasn't been picked up for a Netflix series, as it seems to be the trend these days. Or maybe it has and I missed it.

Yesss absolutely fantastic taste. Favorite Persona game?? +_+

You have good taste, friend! ^^

• Thanks 1

Akane
1 hour ago, Mothiraffe said:

@Akane Ahhh traveling is always so good! Where have you always wanted to go? And what was the favorite place you've been to? (If you're comfortable sharing!)

I need to get back into reading. What are some of your favorite series? ^^

I think we're of similar tastes anime-wise. I was raised in the utopia of the anime boom, and I still consider some of the first ones I saw to be my favorite works of media to this day. You've picked some excellent favorite characters, too!! (Being around for Endless Eight while it was airing is a cultural event that you just... can't explain after the fact.)

You're so valid, I'm surprised that that one hasn't been picked up for a Netflix series, as it seems to be the trend these days. Or maybe it has and I missed it.

Yesss absolutely fantastic taste. Favorite Persona game?? +_+

You have good taste, friend! ^^

Hey Mothiraffe, thank you for your reply. 

There are a few places I have visited. Like France, Spain, Turkey, Cyprus, Hong-Kong, Thailand, Vietnam and Japan.  My favourites where I had the most fun was Turkey for the food, night life and beaches, Thailand & Vietnam for the night life and beaches But Japan for its food politeness for how everywhere is clean and picturesque. and of course because it has everything I love.  I have been to Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Tokyo, and Sendai staying in capsule hotels and Ryokans. I plan to go again soon. But I have my house up for sale so its a stressful year to travel this year. 

I bought a Kindle last month and I have been reading many books and manga on it. You should check out the new Blade runner 2019 comic the first volume is out now 2nd comes out near end of August. I have also been reading Musashi By Eiji Yoshikawa. It is a very long book to read but fun. And a few Red Sonja graphic novels. 

Some of my favourite 80s and 90s Anime are, Megazone 23, Fist of the north Star, Angel Cop, Bubblegum Crisis, Cyber City oedo 808, wicked City, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell. Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, and many more. 

I can't wait for The Dark Crystal series In Netflix. 

My favourite persona game is 4. I love the rural setting and atmosphere. It reminds me of living in Japan. 

Edited by Akane
  • Thanks 1

AeroHail
15 hours ago, Mothiraffe said:

@AeroHail You have so many good interests fdgdfg I'd love to see some of your art and the characters that inspired your dolls!

Being in nature is always such a soothing thing for me as well; I live in a rural area and don't fare so well in places with a lot of people, but I'm completely content surrounded by the trees! (Except for once when I kicked a puffball mushroom by accident and sent a literal cloud of green spores flying everywhere. Scary!!!) 

I... get what you mean about Pokemon as well, I don't think I'll ever stop loving the franchise! But in the same vein... new PMD when, and also, if Sword and Shield aren't great I'm gonna die. I enjoyed X&Y at the time, and U/S/U/M where alright (Team Skull were SUCH a breath of fresh air!!!) but... while Gen6 probably had the absolute best connectivity of any game, it's still the generation I have the most trouble enjoying, and with some of the decisions Game Freak have made regarding SWSH, I'm... both excited and incredibly dismayed. For yet another generation OTL

Ahhh that's so lovely! I love fossils too, I have one of an ancient fern...somewhere in this house, and a few little quartz crystals on the table beside me. ^^

That's amazing! I......know the most basic passing snippets of conversational Japanese, but I can barely read any of it unfortunately. What is it like to study the language? Even if it's hard, it's really impressive that you're trying to learn. Ganbatte!!

Also re: Adult Decisions god it took ten months but I finally got back into my old Neo account with the help of TNT. I'M FINALLY HOME TT^TT
(What's your usernaaaame)
I still casually play on Subeta as well, and I used to be active on Flight Rising... I kind of stepped away from pet sites once I quit my job working for one. It's a whole Thing ^^;

That's so valid... possums are good and wholesome.

... I'm not gonna judge honestly, that sounds like an interesting thing to learn about! Tell me more if you like? :o

paps u ur a good bean fren

AAAA Thank! You can see some of the art of Haze in this thread

Aaa mushrooms are so cool but you're right! They can be scary!

I'm dying for a new PMD. Hhhhh plz!!! Us pokemon fans know true suffering XD I adore the new designs so far so that's pretty good. Who's your fave new pokemon so far?

Thank you!!! I'm actually the opposite, I am so much better at the reading a writing than the speaking and understanding. ....which isn't how I wanted it to go. That wont be as much help when I eventually go visit. ^^;;; It's such a hard language for my tongue to get around, apparently!

I'm aer0hail over there! It's a shiny new account. AAAAA congrats! I've seen it can be chaos to try get your old accounts back!!! I also used to flights rising! It was fun! You worked for a pet site? Thats so cool!!

Aaaa thank!!!

ParacosmDoll

Edited by ParacosmDoll

Riesz

I play way. too. many. video games haha... On PC I've been playing World of Warcraft for about 10 years off and on, lots of Steam RPGs, and occasionally making stuff on Second Life.  I CAN'T WAIT for Animal Crossing on Switch and I'll be purchasing one just for that - here's hoping for a special edition AC themed one!  I love Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games as well.

I enjoy dabbling in photography but I'm not consistent with it, really need to practice more so that I actually see some improvement, haha.

I've recently indulged in realising a longtime dream of getting into lolita fashion.  I have several dresses now, plus shoes, etc but I'm still feeling a bit shy about going to a meetup.  I hope I can find some courage sometime soon, as I love wearing the clothing just around the house and feeling so frilly and cute!

I have a lot of different collections although I'm trying to cut back on that sort of thing, hehe.  I love dolls (of course!), anime figures, nendoroids, plushies, teacups, stationery and stickers, and nail polish. 

Also really enjoy cooking and trying different cuisines I didn't grow up with, so lately I've been trying a lot of different curries and other Indian and Asian recipes, to great success!

Some hobbies I'd love to get into sometime are watercolour painting, calligraphy, sewing, learning to play the harp, and getting into cosplay.

sinclair

Besides my family, the other thing that really take my attention is trains.  It's an older photo, but that wall is full and only has like half of my collection, in that gauge.

spacer.png

This photo has my prized possession from each hobby.  Miku, and the Lionel Visionline Big Boy.  I also had to go chase the real deal too.

spacer.png

I'm also an licensed amateur radio operator, but haven't got an antenna up yet as I've spent my play money on DDs and trains (and the house repairs).  I also watch anime and play some video games.  Used to do more gaming, but the draw is a lot less the older I get.

Singer Yuna

I always wanted to flood myself here but never found the time, but these are my hobbies nowadays

I like videogames a lot and I’m a collector of paper guides. I’m eagerly waiting to a spanish publisher to translate the FF ultimanias. Now I’m playing Pokemon again.

I like manganime but only certain genres and I’m very selective with the visual styles, if it doesn’t catch my eye I don’t see it.

I liked to draw chibis, is my favorite art style with art deco. I haven’t draw in a long time because mental health.

I usually play daily with mobile games, but only two at a time, so I had detoxed Lovelive school idol festival and uninstalled it like the sailor moon one. And the only two survivors were deresute and animal crossing pocket camp (this one relaxes me).

I have a lot of collections: from videogame magazines in several languages, ikea catalogs, house deco magazines, how to draw books, doll magazines, photography books, artbooks, and I also collect the postcards amiami attach in every order. Lesser collections are 3 cosplay magazines, stationery, McDonalds happy meal toys, and 5 clothing patterns books (human lolita sized, nendoroid doll sized, DD sized, but I stopped that because I never use them)

I also collect nendoroids (low rate after they reached the 1000 milestone, just the essential like the persona nendos) and scaled figures (low rate too since they put those insane pricetags) like 6 prizes and one +100€ Scaled figure for each year.

My favorite collections related to dolls are:

doll doujins (ooooh, I am so deep for that) I adore doll photography and having a piece of heart of those dolls starring the doujins and the care their owners poured to the doujin. I’ve never been to a comiket but is on my wishlist to buy some doll doujins face to face.

Steampunk doll clothing (and then the rest of doll clothing). I store my doll clothing in plastic bags for each outfit and in office boxes labeled by: Korea, China, Cosplay I-II, kimono, must have, rapunzel, pro I-II, angell studio, azone and Volks I-III.

and then I use the DD boxes for storaging Volks outfits: Anya is full of blue outfits, and Shiburin full of steampunk. I haven’t specified which kind of Volks outfit will go on 2B, maybe the special clothes I bought only for her. Rise’s box is full of wigs and there are 3 plastic bags full of decapitated heads, like my DDH01s.

And then is the wig madness. I feel so powerless with the wig addiction, I must sell some of them, but the worst quality wig fits so well with Rise... and then there is Mandarake devil pit putting used wigs at 400 yen... 

my doll wig collection is a little unorganized but there is one big box full of blonde wigs, the box of funko godzilla full of gray wigs for 2B, and two figure boxes are filled by pastel purple wigs and idolmaster wigs respectively. I have a plastic bag full of my crobidoll wig collection too.

and my doll shoes are in two slim boxes and my doll eyes are in four containers, one for volks eyes, one tiger small container for collaboration doll eyes, one slim box for resin eyes and another for animetic eyes not made by Volks (where are the doll eyes I made too).

I have a random space for doll hats or accesories, and all unused DD hands in one spot. Also a big ikea box for all MDD clothes. And a big empty bag for temporal using items. In there is the outfits I plan to photography and the most used shoes. Now it has a black school uniform planned for a teenage Kaede Takagaki and gothic lolita items for a Ranko cosplay.

For the rest of my doll collection, I have one Kiki, one resin, two lovelive azones, two picconeemos and two pureneemos, one pullip and one dal, one dream fairy doll plastic bootleg and one little apple doll. Two porcelain dolls, several plushies, Tons of barbies in a box and 50cm big dolls at my parents (I would love to exhibit my infance dolls but they’re large and not too relevant). About plushies one of my favorite collection is the ditto derp pokemon plushies, I have six.

As for wished hobbies I wish I travel more and have human lolita clothes and a collection of tarot cards...but there is no room nor money.

I'm sure there are probably more things I could add here, but I'll cease my flood for now. It’s been 10 years on the figure and chibi hobby and 7 on the doll hobby. I will work on a photo of doll boxes maybe next year.

Edited by Singer Yuna
  • Like 1

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

Pit

Beside my girls, I write (right now I'm writing a novel). To relax, I play videogames. I.e. like super smash bros ultimate, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and some on PC like warframe, and many more; but those are the ones I could think for now. Also, I like the digital drawing. I use Photoshop practicing as much as I can for at least 1 hour at day. I'm not going to be an expert with that, but at least I hope to achieve a decent representation of the environments and characters from my novel, so I can include them in the future.

Thespian

Oh boy, do I have a lot.

I'm an avid reader, my preferred genres tend to be YA (don't judge, I have my reasons) and thrillers but I also enjoy gothic romance, horror, queer lit, and sci-fi/low-grade fantasy. I'm currently reading The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw.

I make art. I draw and paint primarily, though this has fallen by the wayside due to my studies. I'm looking forward to getting back into it! I've been doodling a lot in my bullet journal, which I picked up again this last July.

I love music. I follow alt radio in search of the next song I fall in love with and I've been slowly stepping into the world of K-Pop. I even started a K-Pop specific journal to log my thoughts and add doodles.

I took up crochet this time last year and I've gotten pretty good at it, though I haven't finished any of my "large" projects yet. I'm also trying to learn to knit, but it's harder for me to figure out for some reason. And I want to learn to embroider someday! And sew! The husband and I want to get into cosplay together, but I'm pretty tall by American standards, which means I'm ginormous by Japanese standards and almost no pre-made cosplay pieces are long enough to not be obscenely short on me.

I enjoy video games, specifically watching other people play them, though I'll occasionally pick one up myself. I've been watching my husband play the Witcher III Wild Hunt this month and I've dropped about 100 hours into Persona 5 since April. I'm also super hype for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 to drop this March!

I still like manga and anime, though I don't consume it like I used to. I may start dipping my toes back in here soon, I'm just not big on a lot of the "big" titles right now and the smaller stuff has a lot of harems to wade through.

I have a snake! And I want more! So I guess herpetology is something I kinda dig.

And, like many others here, I'm a collector. I have a fantastic collection of dolls and polyhedral dice for DnD, which is another hobby of mine.

Kiyomi DDS DDH-06 🧡 Miyuki DDS DDH-06 🧡 Shiori DDS Mariko Summer Festival 🧡 Kanade DDDy DDH-07 🧡 Honoka DD DDH-09

Any pronouns are fine

katnaper

I like to say that my hobby is collecting hobbies. I'm one of those people who get so into something and just try to collect as much as I can till I've near exhausted myself with it and lose interest only to pick it up again later.  So far though, the only thing I really never lost are dolls. Somehow, I end up with a new one (or two) every year. I also collect nendos and cu-poche but only ones from anime I really like. 

I wish I had more time for games but unfortunately, I haven't had as much time for them as I used to so I just end up living vicariously through my daughter who plays Pokemon and Zelda a lot.😆😆😆

Going back to collections, I collect coloring books and colored pencils, dollhouse kits and miniature building tools), re-ments (which my youngest child has decided to appropriate for her dollhouse), fabric (to sew - have some doll clothes I have yet to make), yarn (thought I would crochet stuff or learn to knit), clothes (currently it's coats and blazers for work) and seeds (I love flowers and am growing a cutting garden in Spring). I collect figures, love scrapbooking and card making so have a collection of stickers and scrapbook paper and washi tape of all kinds. I wish I have time for all my hobbies but with work and kids, I'm so exhausted at the end of the day, I just have enough time to read a book - mostly detective fiction, YA, fantasy books, webtoons or manga before bed.

And because I just wanted to, I am also learning to play the violin. 

Oh and I almost forgot, I share Christmas Village collecting with my husband who also happens to be into Gundam kits 🤣🤣🤣

20191225_003818.jpg

20191225_003815.jpg

I don't know what else I'm going to get into in the future though. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by katnaper
  • Like 6

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

cfx

I had completely forgotten about that Christmas village stuff! I remember when I was a kid and they always had that in the Sears Christmas catalog, and I always thought it looked so cool. I haven't actually seen it anywhere in years.

• Like 1

katnaper
5 minutes ago, cfx said:

I had completely forgotten about that Christmas village stuff! I remember when I was a kid and they always had that in the Sears Christmas catalog, and I always thought it looked so cool. I haven't actually seen it anywhere in years.

We love them and started out in 2011 with probably 3 houses and just kept adding to it every year.  We like the animated ones and are looking to add more rides next year. Have to lug an 8 foot long table next year to make room for the entire thing.🤣🤣🤣 Lots of work but fun and relaxing once its set up.

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

qudoll
1 hour ago, katnaper said:

I like to say that my hobby is collecting hobbies.

That is next level meta.

• Like 2

angelicore

pretty late response since i hadn't looked at this thread previously, but i actually have a lot of the same hobbies as @Riesz! dolls are more of a recent hobby for me and i've been into fashion (mostly "cutesy" fashions like lolita, etc...) and simulation games like AC for years. i've been annoying my friends nonstop talking about AC switch recently... @onion16@

• Like 2

♡ (they/them) ♡

Keijogirl

Outside of the doll and photo hobby, I'm definitely getting into things like Warhammer 40K and table top war gaming. 

I enjoy sewing for dolls,  painting figures, war gaming, Role-Play table top and Larp,  and photography. 

I'm a gamer as well, currently building a pc for gaming.  I can't wait for PSO2 to launch in the west finally, even if it's sad to let go of my Japanese Sega account to support the official release. 

• Like 1

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

McKennachu
2 hours ago, Keijogirl said:

Outside of the doll and photo hobby, I'm definitely getting into things like Warhammer 40K and table top war gaming. 

I was just joking with my coworkers the other day about Warhammer. A lot of them are into DnD, but I mentioned how cool painting your own Warhammer pieces would be (or commissioning someone to paint them). They collectively agreed that Warhammer is too boujie for them since they really shouldn't sink thousands into that AND their other hobbies.

For my own hobbies, I play a lot of LoL, but I'm trying to break that habit and pursue drawing and watercolor painting instead. I also "collect" tattoos- so between DDs, PC gaming, and paying for expensive and painful art, my wallet is exhausted. ^^"

• Like 1

katnaper
2 hours ago, Mega Negi said:

we call it WarHammer 401(k)

Lol! It's one of the reasons we never got into it. So awesome to look at the dioramas and figures though.

Riesz

My copy of Rune Factory 4 for Switch just arrived today!  It's a port of the 3DS game with some added features... I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves waifu simulators, farming sims, etc... super fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iRKcXu_0DE

Edited by Riesz
waifu video
  • Like 2

monkeypizzasonic

I have a few hobbies - collecting other dolls and figures, sewing stuff, miniatures, other crafty things I rotate through as the mood strikes me, making up complicated worlds and stories in my head that I'm probably never going to write - 

but in about a month it's going to be camping on a deserted island, collecting resources and befriending quirky animal neighbors while trying to pay off a debt to a raccoon/tanuki.🍃🍃🍃 

• Like 1