Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mothiraffe

I Wish We Could Buy Individual SmD Parts

Mothiraffe

My Justice's hip joint, which has been trouble since she got here (used dolls, eyyy,) has officially snapped in half! Guess I'm buying a Cocoa Cortex body OTL

For people with Cortex, how much assembly is in the Ninja-Grade Kit? If it's just popping the joints and parts together I can do that, because I'm planning on using the vinyl parts I already have -- I just need the frame! But if it's more involved I'll just shell out for pre-assembled and bitterly curse the expense. 

Honestly right now I'm really distraught but it is what it is. If this was a DD or Obitsu body I'd just order replacement parts... I regret that this isn't currently an option with SmD bodies, and I resent it kind of a lot.

• Sad 1

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

growcian
1 hour ago, Mothiraffe said:

My Justice's hip joint, which has been trouble since she got here (used dolls, eyyy,) has officially snapped in half! Guess I'm buying a Cocoa Cortex body OTL

Not sure if this will be helpful to your specific situation:

2B_banner01.jpg.962d91244de709d8a9e140bd8ee9ed52.jpg

Mothiraffe

@growcian Thank you for thinking of me! Alas the actual hip joint has snapped, so repairing that will be... difficult. I just wish we could buy individual parts OTL

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

growcian

If you can take a photo so we can see what happened, a few of us at this message board might have some repair suggestions.

2B_banner01.jpg.962d91244de709d8a9e140bd8ee9ed52.jpg

Mothiraffe

@growcian I'll do that soon, thank you. Unfortunately I've had trouble with that whole part of her from the get-go -- she's never posed right, the inner spine peg (where the spine attaches to the hip) has been frozen in place so she mostly just sits -- and tonight while changing her stockings I guess I put pressure in the exact wrong way to prompt a snap. It is regretfully 7am and I needed to sleep hours ago, so I'll get to documenting my eternal regret in a few hours.

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. ^^;

BeyondTime
6 hours ago, Mothiraffe said:

Doesn't Danny warrant frame breakage? I thought that was the one thing he provided replacements for.

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx

The warranty only applies to new dolls bought either direct from Danny or one of the official retailers:

This warranty also covers Smart Dolls purchased from our official retailers but not any purchased from resellers.

From here.

BeyondTime
10 minutes ago, cfx said:

The warranty only applies to new dolls bought either direct from Danny or one of the official retailers:

From here.

2 breaks in the first year, and then thereafter there is a fee breakdown for parts outside of warranty.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx
4 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

2 breaks in the first year, and then thereafter there is a fee breakdown for parts outside of warranty.

That too, but the overriding thing in this case is Mothiraffe says the doll was bought used, so it didn't come from Danny or a retailer so has no warranty at all.

That said, I have no idea if he makes any exceptions. He might just shame you on twitter or instagram instead, for asking. :| (I shouldn't say that I suppose...)

• Like 2

BeyondTime
1 minute ago, cfx said:

That too, but the overriding thing in this case is Mothiraffe says the doll was bought used, so it didn't come from Danny or a retailer so has no warranty at all.

That said, I have no idea if he makes any exceptions. He might just shame you on twitter or instagram instead, for asking. :| (I shouldn't say that I suppose...)

I don't think it hurts to ask, but with Danny a no is probably best accepted as final.

Lynn

How about replacement part sets? Completed frame costs 18 000 yen, DIY frame 9 900 yen. That is rather expensive still, but it IS cheaper than entire cortex set. I admit, I am one of those people (or maybe the only one? 😌) who succeeded breaking the poor dolly when I put her together. Right knee joint. I fixed the knee with string, so she poses with that leg much better now than with the left one, but... I wouldn't mind buying right knee joint, if that was possible. Only that knee joint, though. 9 900 yen from one knee joint is little bit too much.

NeeP

I don’t know if things have changed, but CJ customer service has been generous to me.  I have contacted them regarding a broken leg peg for my second hand Old School Eiji.  They gave me a replacement for free if I bought a certain amount of product.  The same when his spine snapped at the base - I got a replacement torso, and when I was after replacement hands...  I’d say it won’t hurt to contact them.

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

Mothiraffe

@NeeP Was that your experience? I might try that then... it's still expensive but less so! The worst thing they can do is block me from buying at the store, and if that happens I'll just have a friend be my shopping proxy, so >.>;

@Lynn That's an idea too, I forgot about those!!!! Thank you so much!

And thank you to everyone who commented... I'm feeling better about things now <3

Mothiraffe

... Does anyone else get the "gone walkies" error page when they try to submit a support ticket? OTL

NeeP
5 hours ago, Mothiraffe said:

@NeeP Was that your experience? I might try that then... it's still expensive but less so! The worst thing they can do is block me from buying at the store, and if that happens I'll just have a friend be my shopping proxy, so >.>;

It was a couple of years ago, and when I did contact customer service, I mentioned that my boy was second hand and out of warranty.  I asked if I could buy the replacement parts outright, and they replied as they did.  

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

Beani
13 hours ago, cfx said:

The page you linked stated that a reseller is someone who bought the item for the sole purpose of reselling. If someone bought and opened the item then it doesn’t count as a reseller and is covered by warranty. So in this case the warranty should apply but if the doll is over one year old there would be extra costs involved. 

Ridiculous that if you rat on the reseller they give you warranty though. That’s so Danny. 

• Like 1

moerunamida

Really sorry that this happened, Mothiraffe. :( I agree though, I wish he sold parts as well and think it is sad that he doesn't. If he makes people spend over $100 to be able to get a free part that's not really free then especially when you add in shipping. It seems like it would be cheaper for the consumer if he just sold parts. While I love CJ's clothes, it's hard for me to stomach spending so much for clothes and doll clothes at that.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Mothiraffe

@Deyja I actually tried sending in a contact-us to see if I could just buy the replacement parts outright (since it's cheaper than a whole doll) and when I submitted the form I just got a 404 page... I'm just all kinds of distraught over all of this honestly OTL

• Sad 1

Meowjima
On 9/28/2019 at 11:02 PM, Beani said:

The page you linked stated that a reseller is someone who bought the item for the sole purpose of reselling. If someone bought and opened the item then it doesn’t count as a reseller and is covered by warranty. So in this case the warranty should apply but if the doll is over one year old there would be extra costs involved. 

Ridiculous that if you rat on the reseller they give you warranty though. That’s so Danny. 

That's really, really disappointing, especially because a lot of people buy their dolls second hand from pople who bought them and just didn't connect with them/figured they were better off in a new home.  It's also a really shitty practice considering he boasts about how open he is with people designing their own clothes and making his design patterns free-to-use.

As much as I love SmD's, some of Danny's behavior/business practices over the years have always been the cause for eyebrow raising.

• Like 1

moerunamida
3 hours ago, Mothiraffe said:

@Deyja I actually tried sending in a contact-us to see if I could just buy the replacement parts outright (since it's cheaper than a whole doll) and when I submitted the form I just got a 404 page... I'm just all kinds of distraught over all of this honestly OTL

Are you serious? If that error page wasn't an error at all, that's pretty despicable. Wow! :( I hope you are able to fix your girl and get the replacement parts. I'm surprised people actually don't sell parts from dolls that have broken and aren't worth fixing.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Mothiraffe

@Deyja It's not so common yet, I don't think, for there to be enough bodies to go around- we still can't buy vinyl cocoa bodies at all, for example. I'm sure I'll be able to buy a new Cortex body eventually, but with the website acting how it is, the only other option is to message Mr. Choo directly, and I would... prefer not to go that route.

• Like 1

CuteOne

Would contacting a friend shop be an option? Maybe you could try getting Fabric and Friends to get you a spare part?

You know you can turn off signatures if they make you uncomfortable.

📸Instagram📸

Eiko82
On 10/4/2019 at 3:59 AM, Mothiraffe said:

@Deyja It's not so common yet, I don't think, for there to be enough bodies to go around- we still can't buy vinyl cocoa bodies at all, for example. I'm sure I'll be able to buy a new Cortex body eventually, but with the website acting how it is, the only other option is to message Mr. Choo directly, and I would... prefer not to go that route.

How about emailing support@smartdoll.jp ? That is how I always contact them. 

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Mothiraffe

@CuteOne Thank you, I never thought of that. I can certainly give it a try!

@Eiko82 I... honestly can't tell you why I never thought of that myself. That makes so much sense, that's the obvious thing to do, and yet that option just... went right over my head? Of course I should have tried that, I'm kicking myself for not actually having a lightbulb moment about this sooner. I'm going to go do just that, thank you so much (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄) ;;

• Like 1

SiofraLu

For the record, the resellers Dany wants you to snitch on are shops/people on ebay or Etsy, etc. who buy the dolls, don’t open them, and only intend to sell them again, not people who bought the dolls, opened them and then later decided to sell them to another collector. He makes it clear he wants his dolls to be loved and doesn’t mind them being rehomed if you don’t connect with them anymore. If you get a doll secondhand and something is wrong with it he will help you out, he just can’t afford to do it for free anymore. I think he says this in the cortex making video but not 100% sure on that.