Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

BeyondTime

DDS Ranko Kanzaki 2nd Ver.

BeyondTime

Edit: Her official page is up: https://www.volks.co.jp/cinderella_girls/dd08/

https://twitter.https://twitter.com/volks_dd/status/1195251459597553664?s=20com/volks_dd/status/1195251459597553664?s=20https://twitter.com/volks_dd/status/1195251459597553664?s=20

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Looks like she's getting released with her Gothis Dress set. It was pretty popular, so I guess it makes sense. 

I was kinda hoping for a new outfit though, like this one (but then again, Arle didn't get a new outfit either). 

Anyways, very happy to see that she won! 

BeyondTime
1 minute ago, muol said:

Looks like she's getting released with her Gothis Dress set. It was pretty popular, so I guess it makes sense. 

I was kinda hoping for a new outfit though, like this one (but then again, Arle didn't get a new outfit either). 

Anyways, very happy to see that she won! 

iDOLM@STERS usually seem to release with an optional outfit, but if there is one we probably won't know until her page is up.

And yeah, these dolls were a good pair of wins for people. Ranko is really hard to find nowadays. I'm a bit surprised it wasn't Miki, but not surprised it was Ranko.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx
38 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

iDOLM@STERS usually seem to release with an optional outfit, but if there is one we probably won't know until her page is up.

They generally have, but Yuriko didn't, and Volks recently hasn't done the outfit sets they used to do every year or so.

I'm happy she got the black dress this time as I prefer it over the one she came with before; however, isn't this one a staining monster?

Also, attention Volks: Make her a black parasol!

I also remembered that black dress is nearly as hard to find as she is and I believe goes for 25K on Mandarake.

Edit: It'd be kind of funny if they sell her original gray outfit as a separate item this time.

Edit2: Reading things into the picture that maybe aren't really there, she probably doesn't have the scepter this time, since she is shown with the outstretched hands. Reading her old page it states she previously came with only the gripping hands, so she could hold that.

Edited by cfx

finnleo
55 minutes ago, cfx said:

Also, attention Volks: Make her a black parasol!

Edit2: Reading things into the picture that maybe aren't really there, she probably doesn't have the scepter this time, since she is shown with the outstretched hands. Reading her old page it states she previously came with only the gripping hands, so she could hold that.

My speculation would be if they did the parasol for ranko, it'd be bundled with the pinstripe swimsuit she has in the official designs (since its more prominent there, than with her normal clothes pictures) ... or just bundled with the black normal clothes she's being delivered with now.

The baton microphone of the first release was part of the something-something-angel set of the original release, so that went with that. so there's no reason to include it with the normal clothes outfit this time.

Edited by finnleo

cfx

I see. In that case maybe she will come with a parasol as an accessory, because looking at Volks' pictures for the pieces in both outfits, the black one looks like it has the same or a bit less, and doesn't have that mic or the wings, so maybe a parasol accessory to make up for that.

The blurb in that tweet just says she's been "upgraded" and see Volks News for details. I'm sure she's f3 now but I don't know what else would be changed other than new accessory(ies), and since Arle got something that seems like something they'd do.

elianti

OMG I didn't expect Ranko to actually win! I voted for her almost everyday 😭😭😭 

The timing is pretty horrible for me but I'll see.. if I can make it work... I hope she'll be sold via lottery at least orz 

• Like 1

BeyondTime
7 hours ago, cfx said:

They generally have, but Yuriko didn't, and Volks recently hasn't done the outfit sets they used to do every year or so.

Perhaps more on point for BotB is Shiburin V2 didn't come with one.

Edited by BeyondTime

finnleo

Since it was five years ago ... here's a few snaps of Ranko Ver1 in the outfit that was released back then which should give folks who haven't run into pictures a better clue as to what to expect:

15250513198_8e924073f0_b.jpg

sabrina005

15436765022_5d82303a8a_c.jpg

sabrina002

15437127185_34bdfcf530_b.jpg

sabrina017

15437124465_10e2ff9749_c.jpg

sabrina012

On the face of it, it looks like the grey bits are a little lighter, though that could be also due to lights... my photo's were taken in a variable light situation so not really comparable.

• Like 5

cfx
On 11/15/2019 at 9:31 AM, BeyondTime said:

Perhaps more on point for BotB is Shiburin V2 didn't come with one.

Shiburin V2's outfit was also made available separately for V1 owners, so the net result was essentially the same as what we have here if there is nothing additional. Edit: I am wrong; Shiburin's school outfit was released as a second with her original release, and then v2 came with it as default; in other words, exactly like Ranko. For some reason I previously thought the separate outfit release was done together with Shiburin v2, for the benefit of v1 owners.

@finnleo thanks for those pictures. Outside of the Volks pics I don't remember seeing pictures of this outfit. Since you have it, how is it for staining? I saw in the Volks picture that it is lined, but that it also has a lot of edges that are not. I really like the outfit, but it scares me.

Oh I just remembered! I have another all-black chiffon dress, an Azone 60 that will be perfect for her. It's a little snug on DD so should be a really nice fit on DDS. I got it from @Cauldroness so long ago I had forgotten about it; she has the only pictures of it I've seen online (note the sleeves aren't part of the dress):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31759279@N00/15607134177/

Mandarake (sold out) listing

Edited by cfx

cfx
9 hours ago, elianti said:

OMG I didn't expect Ranko to actually win! I voted for her almost everyday 😭😭😭 

The timing is pretty horrible for me but I'll see.. if I can make it work... I hope she'll be sold via lottery at least orz

I voted for Ranko (and Miki) everyday too. I think for the third I mostly voted for Chihaya. Since DDS was combined with DDdy where there's probably only one of the two getting a Best rerelease, I didn't really expect to get something I wanted.

I hope she's lottery. Ranko + Arle + clickwar sounds like a disaster on a level not yet experienced. If they do clickwar they'll probably stagger the start times but it won't make much difference.

I'm sure Volks USA will be lottery assuming they offer her. Are you able to order from Volks USA in Guam?

I see I only posted my reaction in the other thread so I need to add it here:

@onion30@@onion23@@onion34@@onion24@

Edited by cfx
  • Like 2

finnleo
8 hours ago, cfx said:

@finnleo thanks for those pictures. Outside of the Volks pics I don't remember seeing pictures of this outfit. Since you have it, how is it for staining? I saw in the Volks picture that it is lined, but that it also has a lot of edges that are not. I really like the outfit, but it scares me.

Its been five years since I last had that outfit out -- But I do recall that the bolero probably wasn't fully lined. But there wasn't any immediate staining, and she was in and out of that outfit within two hours.

I think the choker has the same material used for the ruffles as the white default dress has for its trimmings, and that stains over time.

Also there's quite  a bit of black satin ribbon used, which notoriously is bad with Volks items, like Melty's V1 default top.

• Thanks 1

BeyondTime
Just now, finnleo said:

Its been five years since I last had that outfit out -- But I do recall that the bolero probably wasn't fully lined. But there wasn't any immediate staining, and she was in and out of that outfit within two hours.

I think the choker has the same material used for the ruffles as the white default dress has for its trimmings, and that stains over time.

The black bits on her default stain. The choker I just line with Volks tape, and I do the same thing with Shiburin's choker and the straps on her bodice.

I think Miki still has a chance if they do runner up releases next year. The only other dolls that might have a chance are DDDy, but I am not really sure how popular DDDy is. It seems to me like the lack of limited releases on the DDDy body says something.

I want to see photos of the new outfit. I am really curious if it will incorporate the staining improvements that Volks seems to do nowadays. I never bought it aftermarket, because I figured I would never trust it enough to put on her. I really want a Gothic outfit for her, and your photos made me realize it works without the sleeves.

cfx
22 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I think Miki still has a chance if they do runner up releases next year.

It's certainly possible; Shiburin v2, Rin Tohsaka v2, and Alisa v2 all came out in the year following the official Best rereleases last time.

I'm pretty clueless about what dolls are popular especially in Japan. DDdy Sasara seems to have been popular since she was one of the official rereleases last time, and both versions still sell for a lot on Mandarake. Beyond that, most of the DDdy models don't have really high aftermarket prices though some are pretty uncommon it seems, like Kanu.

Yes, it'd be really nice if Volks updated Ranko's outfit to be better lined, though some of it is just the design as with the ruffles. Here's the picture of the old version:

dress02_pic06.jpg

I can put her in something else, but black is her color. From what I remember of the anime, I don't think she ever wears like normal teenage casual clothing, no matter what she's doing. :classic_smile:

BeyondTime
9 minutes ago, cfx said:

I can put her in something else, but black is her color. From what I remember of the anime, I don't think she ever wears like normal teenage casual clothing, no matter what she's doing. :classic_smile:

Her character story is a bit sad. She has low self-esteem, and she's determined to bury her real personality under a Gothic twilight vampire persona.

Edited by BeyondTime

cfx
3 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Her character story is a bit sad. She has low self-esteem, and she's determined to bury her real personality under a Gothic twilight vampire persona.

I didn't fully realize this (from the anime, I haven't played the games or anything else). I knew she was too timid to speak up to the producer, when he misunderstood her persona to think she liked horror-themed things while in reality she's terrified of such.

BeyondTime
8 minutes ago, cfx said:

I didn't fully realize this (from the anime, I haven't played the games or anything else). I knew she was too timid to speak up to the producer, when he misunderstood her persona to think she liked horror-themed things while in reality she's terrified of such.

She's also quite the artist, but thinks she has no real ability.

cfx

Ok that's awesome. <3 And with a pretty floral pattern on it, not just black.

While I didn't want to get my hopes up too much, I thought that might happen since before she had the microphone and the outfit had wings, so it seemed like she might come with some extra thing again.

I guess her price is effectively the same. According to the thread here for her first release she was 62,000 yen. Now she is 66,000 but the extra 4,000 is basically the f3 body tax.

It looks like the corset no longer has those plastic straps on it. Also, the dress lining is different. Look at the bolero in the large version of this picture:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJoCZylVUAEmXdt.jpg:large

Compare it to the one I posted up above. The color of the lining is probably white now though that's hard to tell from a picture like this. What is certain is the lining goes to the bottom of the bolero, which it didn't in the old picture. If they made changes like this, I can be hopeful that they also picked a different black material that is less dangerous this time.

Edited by cfx

finnleo

There are a lot of other tweaks. The thread used for the lacing on the boleros sleeve's has changed to black on the inside (Possible stain issue though, knowing black threads) from the original grey which was way too apparent.

The skirt is much more flared out compared to the old one, which was much more bell-like, as this new one is more like a parasol.

The bustier seems to be re-worked too. the bottom lines seem a bit more curved than the original (could be a perspective thing), but the upper grey double-V details seem more of a sharper angle than before.

there are a few minor details spotted too, but those can be scratched up into "Picture is of prototype, actual mileage may vary"

*sigh* but yeah ... add to the anxiety of previous owners will you? .. heh, oh well.. such is the life of a collectible hobbyist.

Edited by finnleo

cfx
26 minutes ago, finnleo said:

The skirt is much more flared out compared to the old one, which was much more bell-like, as this new one is more like a parasol.

I see that now, and whatever gives it that structure is a part of it now, as the separate pannier is no longer there in the picture as it was with the old verison.

27 minutes ago, finnleo said:

The bustier seems to be re-worked too. the bottom lines seem a bit more curved than the original (could be a perspective thing), but the upper grey double-V details seem more of a sharper angle than before.

It could be the picture angles, but it looks to me like it has a more defined shape in the bust, whereas the old one was more looked more like just a tapered tube that depended on the doll body for shape.

28 minutes ago, finnleo said:

*sigh* but yeah ... add to the anxiety of previous owners will you? .. heh, oh well.. such is the life of a collectible hobbyist.

I was just thinking about that, because in general I've lamented I wasn't in this hobby 5+ years ago to buy dolls like Ranko and Miki, but in this particular case I actually get something out of being late to the party.

You've gotten to enjoy her for 5 years already, so that's the advantage for you though. Since this outfit is rare and expensive aftermarket, it's too bad they don't rerelease it separately for previous owners who might want to upgrade it, or buy it for the first time if they don't already have the previous version. I know from looking at the old thread here that the win rates for both her and the outfit weren't very good back then.

finnleo
39 minutes ago, cfx said:

I was just thinking about that, because in general I've lamented I wasn't in this hobby 5+ years ago to buy dolls like Ranko and Miki, but in this particular case I actually get something out of being late to the party.

You've gotten to enjoy her for 5 years already, so that's the advantage for you though. Since this outfit is rare and expensive aftermarket, it's too bad they don't rerelease it separately for previous owners who might want to upgrade it, or buy it for the first time if they don't already have the previous version. I know from looking at the old thread here that the win rates for both her and the outfit weren't very good back then.

Mm, don't get me wrong here. As I mentioned while discussing blue saber, I do think this too is a good opportunity for people who didn't get the first one. Because she's indeed a cute one.

The actual issues from a previous owners standpoint of both Ranko and the dress (yes, lucky me) is that originally I had to pay extra for an obscure outfit I didn't want. If it had been the Love Laika outfit where Ranko actually shines in the anime series, at least I would have been more happy. But all in all original owners had to go through a separate lottery and pay extra for the outfit they really wanted out of the two.

And the parasol.. which apparently is not being sold separate (though I recall some accessories have been made available later as separate things, so there's hope), so at the moment people who have the old outfit, but would like that ... would basicly need to apply for a new Ranko.

EDIT, on top of fixing some annoying details of the original dress ... which granted could be solved with a black sharpie, but still.

Unless they are doing the Alter Lily Santa thing where you can get the outfit set separate, which would be nice...

So while I do feel its a great opportunity for people who missed out, but as it stands in ways its still a bit of a bird flip from volks to the people who have the original.

Edited by finnleo

cfx
14 minutes ago, finnleo said:

Unless they are doing the Alter Lily Santa thing where you can get the outfit set separate, which would be nice...

That's what I feel like they should do, and I'd forgotten about Santa Alter so there is a precedent for them doing this.

One of the voting categories was DD limited outfits so it's also possible they could release this as part of that, though they might also choose to do a different outfit rather than a duplication of sorts.

14 minutes ago, finnleo said:

So while I do feel its a great opportunity for people who missed out, but as it stands in ways its still a bit of a bird flip from volks to the people who have the original.

I understand completely.

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, finnleo said:

Mm, don't get me wrong here. As I mentioned while discussing blue saber, I do think this too is a good opportunity for people who didn't get the first one. Because she's indeed a cute one.

Her sculpt is very accurate too. Of all the Cinderella girls they've made, she's the one who I think they got spot on.

Edited by BeyondTime

cfx
3 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Her sculpt is very accurate too. Of all the Cinderella girls, she's the one who I think they got spot on.

I probably agree. I've ranted elsewhere about how I don't think they got Kaede right at all. Shiburin is beautiful but something isn't quite there; I think maybe she looks a bit too mature. Anastasia is pretty but the eye shape is a bit off with the faceup because I've seen repaints that better match the character. I can't really judge Mio and Uzuki other than I think Uzuki is really cute.

The only quibble I have with Ranko's look is just a choice that Volks decided to do with all the iM@S girls, which is that they made the eye makeup less pronounced than the typical art for the characters. When I first saw the DDs I felt this choice was wrong, but as I've gotten used to it I don't think it is; it's just a stylistic choice they chose.

[That's also part of my issue with Kaede, and to a much lesser degree, Anastasia. They not only got the character look a bit wrong, they abandoned their aesthetic they'd used for everyone up to this point. Anastasia's look is really close to right, but her eyeliner is probably heavier than her art, and it's quite a contrast to any of the other dolls. In different pictures I alternate between liking her a lot, and not so much. One thing I think is that her eyes don't photograph well so they look washed out sometimes in photos.]