Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

UnderOrange

Sewing Danny Choo's Free T-Shirt Pattern

UnderOrange

I've got a video up showing how I sew this t-shirt pattern! Link to the pattern is in the video's description.

• Like 2

Beani

@UnderOrange I just wanted to say thanks for doing these videos. I recently decided to learn to hand sew and after some practice I chose this Tshirt pattern as my first proper little project. As I was doing things by hand I did things a little differently to you but the video was still a great help regarding fabric, the V-neck and general order to do things. Again, thank you for the little extra kick to get me finally doing this!

IMG_0314.JPG

Edited by Beani
  • Like 1

UnderOrange

@Beani How awesome! The results are fantastic. My only problem with hand stitching is that I'm very bad at it, lol. Your stitches are totally invisible though! I'm glad my video could be a help! Definitely post more stuff you make, I love seeing other people's work.

Beani

@UnderOrange Thanks very much! I was actually surprised by how invisible all the stitches ended up myself. I may try another tshirt in future with your collar method to see how that works. I kinda made it up this time based on the pattern requesting a binder. Did yours have that written or did Danny change the pattern? It looked a little different when you were pinning it but could be wrong. 

Also interested if you ever tried folding under the raw edge in the hems (Locking? I don’t know sewing terms yet ha)? I don’t think that was done in your video and doing it seemed to add heaps of bulk at doll scale so I just have ugly raw edges inside ha. Maybe I gave up too soon though.

I was considering the cardigan as my next attempt, from your experience do you feel that pattern is a good next step?

UnderOrange

@Beani The pattern has probably changed a bit, I think I downloaded mine from when he released it on flickr, lol. It's very old but I don't see a point in printing it out again. All the instructions are in Japanese, if I recall correctly.

With knits that don't unravel I rarely fold hems over twice. It's harder to do, bulkier, and ultimately unnecessary. Now that I have a serger I do tend to serge all the edges. Its totally aesthetic though, since knits don't unravel the same way woven fabrics do.

I think the hoodie/cardigan pattern is a good next step. It is more complicated, but you've got the hang of sewing with knits down so I don't think you'll have a problem. The leggings would probably be a good choice too, they may be even easier than the t-shirt.

Beani

@UnderOrange Ah I see, then I think it has changed for sure. Mine did have a little English on it. 

Thanks for the info on knit versus woven, I read about it a bit but having someone actually say it directly always makes it a little clearer. I think all the main test fabric I bought is knit so far so I have almost zero knowledge of woven stuff and how they function. I will keep it in mind for when I need to hem something like that.. can't say I am looking forward to folding a 5mm hem over and hand stitching though... maybe I'll have to increase the allowance..

Oh right the leggings! I forgot about them, they don't excite me so much but maybe a little more practice wouldn't hurt before jumping to the cardigan (I'd probably like better fabric for the cardigan anyway, the shirt was made from a 100 yen scrap piece). I wanted to get a little fancy and try lining the hood (or perhaps the whole cardigan for safety if I don't make a white one) do you happen to know of any guides regarding lining? I guess lining may be better as woven fabric instead of a knit too.

UnderOrange

@Beani It's amazing how different fabric can behave, even amongst wovens and knits. I like to work with quilters cotton, because it's very predictable in how it behaves. That might be a good starting point for your first adventures into woven stuff. It also irons nicely which should making hemming much easier.

As far as your next knit project, I'd say stick with stuff you're excited about. No point in forcing it, it's a hobby for fun! I don't do a lot of lining, mostly out of preference and to avoid extra bulk, but I think if you look up "bag lining" that might be the best technique for a knit hoodie, it's also one of the most common techniques for most modern styles, so it's a good one to learn. There's also the option to just line the hood, which could be super cute in a contrasting fabric. Just keep in mind if you line a knit fabric with a woven one, you lose all the benefit of knits stretchiness.* It can be done, but it's worth keeping in mind they hang very differently.

Edited to add: It only occurred to me hooours later that woven fabric with spandex in it is a thing that exists and is stretchy. There's a lot of kinds of fabric, lol.

Edited by UnderOrange

Beani

@UnderOrange Thanks so much for the tips. If I’m honest all the fabrics are actually quite intimidating for me and it’s made worse that I have to find the matching phrase in Japanese to have any hope of finding a specific thing in stores here. There’s so much range but three floors of offcuts alone really puts me in over my head. I totally lucked out on that T-shirt fabric. It’s why I appreciated that part of this video so much.

I’ll look into bag lining for the hood/whole cardigan then, thanks! I actually had to look at quilt binding tutorials to do the collar on my shirt, it’s crazy how specific some of these methods get. The contrasting hood fabric is exactly what I want to try and do, I think that looks so adorable. 

My brain didn’t even calculate that a woven fabric would stop the stretch on the knit so again thank you for stopping a potential disaster there. I’ll be sure to look for a woven with spandex or a thinner knit instead. 

Not sure when I’ll get the supplies but will be sure to post the cardigan once it’s done. I expect it to take me awhile though. 

UnderOrange

@Beani Unfortunately I'm useless at knowing anything in Japanese, I'm hopeless with other languages and I'm not even sure where you'd find that kind of specialized translation info.

One thing that has served me best with picking fabrics is comparing what I'm buying with what I've seen the thing I want to make made of before. And mostly just... try not to be seduced by shiny polyester, lol. It's never very nice, even if it seems like it would be and it melts if you iron it too hot. Such a pain, lol. If you learn one thing in Japanese let it be "polyester", if only to know when to turn the iron down.

Anyway! I'm excited to see what you make! Don't be afraid to ask questions, I could talk about sewing all day, lol.

LucyWestenra

THank you for sharing your video!!!