Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

monkeypizzasonic

New Basic Dolls

That_Dollfie_Dude

Athena is now available with the long purple wig, and Justice is back with the long wave sunset orange wig.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Katsudon

Aw ;_; I preferred the short wig on Justice. It changes her whole face I think. There's kinda a lack of short haired girls in smd land. But hey, at least she's back after being gone for months.

Edit: there's an amount of discussion about black hairstyles and makeup on the huuuge thread... so I feel kinda extra conflicted. I know her short wig was straight too, so it hardly had a natural look. And yes this is probably the wrong place to be musing over white supremacy re beauty standards, and how that carries over into dolls. Hi, thanks for watching my TED talk...

Edited by Katsudon
I have a lot of feelings
  • Like 2

Lurks

Oh, ouch. A police uniform going up for sale? After all the politically charged turmoil this year about the police vs POC? That's...uh...not the best look, especially for a company that constantly trumpets about "celebrating diversity".

I don't mean to derail the thread into real-world politics but I can't be the only one thinking this is ill-timed and not well thought out, right?

• Like 7

HanaLuka
17 minutes ago, Lurks said:

I don't mean to derail the thread into real-world politics but I can't be the only one thinking this is ill-timed and not well thought out, right?

It's not just you. I don't think it's wise to release (or plan to release) that outfit, either.

• Like 2

Manaphyyy
12 minutes ago, Lurks said:

Oh, ouch. A police uniform going up for sale? After all the politically charged turmoil this year about the police vs POC? That's...uh...not the best look, especially for a company that constantly trumpets about "celebrating diversity".

Considering the overall discussion has died down a smidge on social media (obviously not gone, nor should it be, but there have been other events that have taken some attention away), I don't think it's the /worst/ time to release it. Plus, based on the photo it looks like a cortex body so this may be a licensed doll, in which case it's easier to create distance and say/pretend it's just a costume vs. glorifying actual police actions. 

IDK, ultimately, whether it's a licensed doll or just a straight up police uniform, I don't have plans to purchase it either way. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Katsudon

Yeah, the police uniform kinda makes me go yikes.

Yikes!

Especially considering that people (including me) use dolls as an escape from real life shit.

• Like 1

finnleo
14 minutes ago, Katsudon said:

Especially considering that people (including me) use dolls as an escape from real life shit.

Well, with this angle in view, it is also quite a popular choise within adult roleplay situations as far as Amazon sales rates go ... not to mention the actual kids dress up sets

---

Also one thing to keep in mind, that not all law enforcement people are bad guys. I do want to believe that there are people in the various departments that are actually out to protect and serve the people -- despite now being frowned upon just because they wear a uniform that some people have abused.

The bad one's need to be judged, but dont judge everybody because of the bad one's.

• Like 2

monkeypizzasonic

It's also short enough that it's obviously not supposed to be a legit police uniform, and generic enough that you could use it for something else like airline pilot/stewardess or a fantasy military organization or something.

...Or based on the other clothes/dolls he's coming out with, I'm also picturing a hot lady antagonist cop that fights a group of scavengers in a post-apocalyptical wasteland, or has a tense rivalry with one of the DC superhero gals. And if we go with the DC stuff,  Barbara Gordon/Batgirl's dad is a Good Cop, so it could be an alt outfit for her.

Katsudon
2 hours ago, finnleo said:

Well, with this angle in view, it is also quite a popular choise within adult roleplay situations as far as Amazon sales rates go ... not to mention the actual kids dress up sets

---

Also one thing to keep in mind, that not all law enforcement people are bad guys. I do want to believe that there are people in the various departments that are actually out to protect and serve the people -- despite now being frowned upon just because they wear a uniform that some people have abused.

The bad one's need to be judged, but dont judge everybody because of the bad one's.

Yeah, I know there's an amount of uniform fetishism... especially in Japan where they have a lot of uniforms! XD It might feel more in context if there were other uniforms, but on its own it's a bit poorly thought through.

(For an insider perspective of policing in the USA, it's worth checking That Dang Dad on youtube. It's more a systemic thing than an individual problem.)

Also, would be worried that cop doll would report me for seditious behaviour lol XD

Lynn

TEAL skin tone?! What happened to the green?

Why does he always have to do this to me??? I was so ready to buy a blue girl and be happy with her, but now there is a teal one coming? I like teal a lot more than blue, but do I dare to pass the blue? Maybe he ditches the rainbow skin tones for some unforeseen reason in the future before teal girl becomes reality? Maybe my screen is lying and it's actually green tone anyway? Siiiiigh.... 

Sorry for the rant. 😌

finnleo
42 minutes ago, Katsudon said:

It's more a systemic thing than an individual problem.

My point was rather to try and avoid making the uniform a universal symbol of evil things, im not that naive enough to think that where there are problems that its just one or two people, because just looking away is part of the problem.

• Like 1

monkeypizzasonic

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIx_RyvhOC-/

Prosthetics stuffs (I admit, it is cool of them to give them to amputee kids for free).

f6898cbfc49c98a6421257d4173ca867.jpg

At the moment, the Prosthetic Leg is in the form of a shin as it's the only part of the leg that a Smart Doll owner can (somewhat) easily swap out themselves with a hairdryer or hot water. The shin is symmetrical so it can be used as the left or right shin.

Folks will soon be able to buy the Prosthetic Leg as an option part, but amputees can get one for free with a Smart Doll purchase - more details closer to the time of release.

We are working on the Prosthetic Thigh (which will have to be installed at the time of a Smart Doll purchase) and Prosthetic Arm in parallel.

Meowjima
5 hours ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIx_RyvhOC-/

Prosthetics stuffs (I admit, it is cool of them to give them to amputee kids for free).

f6898cbfc49c98a6421257d4173ca867.jpg

idk, something seems kind of tasteless about that "promotion", and given Danny's purity test for being a Smart Doll owner, I'm pretty sure you'd have to cut your leg off in front of him to get a free prosthetic.  

• Like 3

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, Meowjima said:

something seems kind of tasteless about that "promotion"

When I saw that I had mixed feelings. It’s cool that someone can get something like this, and kids are known to want their dolls to be similar to themselves. Mattel redid Barbie’s figure to be more natural looking after little girls said they wanted her to look more like them.

Where I have an issue is that making it an act of charity could be offensive to some folks with disabilities; they generally don’t want to be treated differently or singled out as requiring charity to get something in my experience. Buyers in that situation might prefer to pay for the part. 

It might be better if it was displayed as an option that someone could choose at the time of purchase, and pay for like anyone else.

Then there is the whole “send me photographic proof you’ve had your leg off and I’ll send you a free part” thing...

• Like 4

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

monkeypizzasonic

Just to play devil's advocate for a second here:

1. Not that I have personal experience, but I think "I don't want to be treated differently and this is condescending" would only apply to teens and adults and people that are already secure in their identity. Younger kids would just be happy to have a doll that looks like them and probably not care if part of it was free (they're not paying for it!), and parents of kids that are amputees that don't know much about bjds would probably just be happy that the expensive doll is a bit less expensive.

2. Again, not from personal experience, but Danny seems to be really into marketing to kids and parents lately, so he might be less likely to have an attitude towards someone who is buying stuff for their kid vs someone who is buying stuff for themselves (and also knows enough about these types of dolls to know when something is off and would be more likely to complain).

3. Given his attitude towards "haters" and doll owners in general, he probably thinks someone "in the community" would try to fake having a prosthetic just so they could get cool free parts...and parents seem to like sending him/posting pictures of their kids anyway, so they probably would be fine with it.

Basically, SmD has somehow become "more expensive, cooler barbie" to a small group of kids/parents and he's trying very hard to roll with it by having a similar level of inclusivity (to the extent he can manage - pretty sure different body shapes would be impossible/not worth the time and resources, and that's completely understandable if you know how these dolls work).

BeyondTime
On 12/15/2020 at 5:37 AM, monkeypizzasonic said:

he probably thinks someone "in the community" would try to fake having a prosthetic just so they could get cool free parts...

Someone probably would, and then turn around and resell it...

Of course I’d expect resellers would just send photos they got off the internet.

On 12/15/2020 at 5:37 AM, monkeypizzasonic said:

and parents seem to like sending him/posting pictures of their kids anyway, so they probably would be fine with it.

There is a big difference between asking for proof and someone sending a picture voluntarily.

He could simply post the offer online and leave it to people to send a picture in hopes of a freebie, but that comes with the risk of alienating some customers. Granted he doesn’t seem to care if he does that.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Starwaia

I'm not too wild about the new look for Beyond. The original teaser made her look like she was sweet and full of warmth/sunshine, the new one looks sort of wide-eyed and... blank? Kind of a deer-in-the-headlights look. I think adding freckles and increasing the blushing that much was overkill imo, I liked her as she was. I think she would be perfect for some people but after really liking the introductory teaser the final version looks like a completely different person. Or perhaps older/more mature than the original. I think the look could be really good if I stop seeing it as what it could have been.

I don't mean to trash talk the new one, I do think she has potential! I also think I need to stop getting excited based on prototype pics. TBH if I had the money and the chance, I'd go for the original prototype in the garage if she showed up for a reasonable(hmm...) price, but that's not possible for me in a lot of ways.

I do really hope the Twist Out wig gets released with her. I've seen too many cocoa SMDs with basic straight hair when there is so much potential for more.

Re: prosthetic limbs,

On 12/14/2020 at 11:09 PM, BeyondTime said:

It might be better if it was displayed as an option that someone could choose at the time of purchase, and pay for like anyone else.

I'm kind of conflicted about this. On the one hand, having it available for free for the sake of representation means that people for whom that matters and who are eligible don't have to cough up extra cash to get a doll that looks like them. On the other hand, I'd worry about how complicated "proving" such would be, given that there are already a lot of potential hoops to jump through just to be able to order certain items/be "good to go" for your first order, etc. I worry that it would turn into a situation where people get turned away in a similar rude manner to previous situations where someone doesn't react satisfactorily. Maybe a picture could indeed be all it takes, but I agree that people could try to cheat the system and then there is the whole privacy issue as mentioned.

Edited by Starwaia
touching on the prosthetic topic

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 6 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Manaphyyy

I love the kitty ear detail on the eyelashes and cheek sparkles--I've seen some other IG artists do similar things, and I can't get enough of it.

• Like 1

Mainframe110

I have been on hiatus from the hobby for a year or so and I'm so floored by all the new sculpts!!!

The Monday sculpt grabbed my attention the second I saw it in one of Danny's recent styling videos he put on his insta, it has got to be the most unique vinyl doll sculpt I've seen, and I , uh, may have accidentally..... 

image.png.11d7afbff5306a11b7c92c10c226eefe.png

• Like 2