MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
cfx

Volks News 87

Jezrah
6 hours ago, cfx said:

GameStop is claiming they are an essential business. @onion9@

It's Wednesday and nothing on Volks News on either the volks_doll or volks_dd twitter, so I guess it's not coming next Monday either.

Sadly that's because they knew their business was already slowly dying, and if all their stores closed indefinitely they probably wouldn't be able to reopen.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

cfx
13 minutes ago, hats said:

Boston forced them to close down due to violating the lock down. @onion9@

Good. It's total nonsense that they think they're so important. Or, I imagine they actually don't but they just want to stay open.

They're so essential that their stock price has steadily declined over the past 5 years from something over $45 in 2015 to the current under $3.50 price.

@onion9@

10 minutes ago, Jezrah said:

Sadly that's because they knew their business was already slowly dying, and if all their stores closed indefinitely they probably wouldn't be able to reopen.

Exactly. Given their business practices I have no sympathy.

Edited by cfx
  • Like 1

Jezrah
14 minutes ago, cfx said:

Exactly. Given their business practices I have no sympathy.

Agreed. My husband had boycotted them many years ago, before we were married and were still in college. He had bought me a used GameCube system on Black Friday, and when it turned out to have a problem where the disk wouldn't stay clamped in during gameplay, they wouldn't take it back because it had been more than 30 days. It had been, like, 34 days, because we couldn't return it within 30 because that would have been on Christmas. Also, if we tried to sell it in to another store (it would work for a bit before the disk would slip) they wouldn't take it because it had a third party controller rather than an official one, which is how it was bought from them. So it sat in a box for about ten years until I sold it for $10 in a garage sale.

Monty

There's an update to the situation. https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/blog/2020/04/10/002369.html They said that they are currently working on the online Dolpa as well as Volks News 87's updated release, apologised for the delay and explained that the uncertainty/everchanging nature of the situation means things have changed. They also ask us politely to continue waiting so that they can deliver something that meets expectations. While they dont confirm that the original Dolpa date of April 26th will change, I think its highly likely so we might not be able to keep using 'before the 26th' as a guide for when Volks News is out. 

They also announced some more things for their WOW project (what they were calling the launch of the new website), although most doesn't apply to people outside Japan at the moment as we can't use the web store, but if you can or have friends who can:
https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/news/campaign/20200410_01.html

1)Giving 'archive goods' as freebies to people who use the web store. These are just old promotional materials for past releases like flyers, clear files, mini posters, badges, keyrings etc. They actually include this kind of thing as prizes with some of the games at Dolpa. (tbh its not particular exciting to me, although ye olde Volks News issues might be)

2)Receive a voucher for every 10,000 yen spent at the online store between 18th of April and 6th of May. (Not sure of the value)

3)Doll Point Akihabara in Dollfie Online Store - Limited Akiba only items will be available on the web store (likely because Doll Point is currently closed). Not sure if this is just DD parts (ie tan DD parts, the Doll Point wigs) or anything more exciting like Dream Choice/DCoords. 

Lastly, something we hopefully can enjoy will be

4) 'Hobbies Giving Emotional Support' campaign (#ホビーは心の支え) . Information is coming soon but it sounds like they will be opening a new youtube channel 'Dollfie Tube', a Dollfie head number quiz, 'Volks Digital archive' etc. (Not sure what that is, but I hope its the return of digital Volks News).

'Look forward to Volks Hobby Content you can enjoy from home!'

Edited by Monty
  • Like 3

cfx
9 hours ago, Monty said:

While they dont confirm that the original Dolpa date of April 26th will change, I think its highly likely so we might not be able to keep using 'before the 26th' as a guide for when Volks News is out. 

With VN87 still not given a date and the new state of emergency being declared in Japan and Doll Point and other stores closed, I was thinking that the Dolpa might be delayed. Aside from all the difficulties with pretty much everything now, they've set a pretty short timeframe to set up with something they've never done before, and I'm sure they want to make it as special as they can so that hopefully it isn't a disappointment to those who were gong to go to the physical event before it had to be cancelled.

cfx
On 4/10/2020 at 6:05 AM, Monty said:

3)Doll Point Akihabara in Dollfie Online Store - Limited Akiba only items will be available on the web store (likely because Doll Point is currently closed). Not sure if this is just DD parts (ie tan DD parts, the Doll Point wigs) or anything more exciting like Dream Choice/DCoords.

This is up now. It's the Dream Wigs, heart hands, Doll Point-exclusive eyes, and tan hands, busts, and wrist joints. No dolls:

https://dollfie.ec.volks.co.jp/category/D_200415_SP_AKB/

Edited by cfx

Monty

Not terribly exciting unfortunately, but at least that hurts less for people outside Japan - it’d be hard not to feel a lil salty to miss out on online dream choice. 

They’ve been super active on twitter recently with other photos to commemorate different days etc. 

Dollfie Tube is also up- it’s not a new channel, it’s a feature on their existing channel, first video just shows what it’s like to unbox a standard SD.

They also just put up instructions for making a doll-sized face mask:

https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/blog/2020/04/15/002385.html

cfx
34 minutes ago, Monty said:

Not terribly exciting unfortunately, but at least that hurts less for people outside Japan - it’d be hard not to feel a lil salty to miss out on online dream choice. 

Yeah the only thing there I kinda want is the heart hands. I'm irritated with myself I didn't get those and the thumbs-up hands back when Volks USA had them briefly. I saw them but didn't really understand they were limited at the time.

Monty

An update from Volks and a special video from Shigeta (and his new moustache).

Apart from hoping we’re all doing well, he says:

-Volks News 87 is coming April 27th.

- Dolpa Online had to be pushed to June. 

So, it’s not completely ruled out that we can still be able to participate! (This depends on how the postal situation will change and it’s impossible to say at this stage). No idea when the After Event will be (if there is one???), but it’s possible they’ll combine it with the July collection...? Looking forward to finding out more about online Dolpa either way. It seems like they’re putting more thought into it than I thought originally.

• Like 3

Beani

That video really encapsulates why I adore Volks so much. Holding their boss against certain other doll companies.. well. I can say I’ll always be backing Volks. 

The pain of no new clothes until June though... wonder if they will have some event before then but I somehow doubt it. Online Dolpa is exciting in its own right though. 

Looking forward to finally getting Volks News on the 27th. And working from home means I can enjoy it sooner that day too!

• Like 3

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Beani said:

The pain of no new clothes until June though.

My wallet is doing somersaults at the moment, and there is finally a chance my bank account will drop the restraining order.

My credit card can finally achieve it's dream of retiring to it's house in the country. (At least it thinks so. B&H Photo is about to get some business.)

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx
18 hours ago, Monty said:

-Volks News 87 is coming April 27th.

I'm so glad for this at least, because we will know what is coming out, even with having to wait until June for it and maybe/maybe not being able to order still.

Monty

There will be more info in volks news but Volks just announced the 2020 Dollfie World Cup, a big contest for faceups/outfit design. I’m not sure if entries in the actual contest are open for people outside Japan, but here:

https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/blog/2020/04/20/002425.html

Scroll down and you’ll see new DD heads, these seem to be the ones made for the DWC. They will be available on the online store from the 27th of April. The DWC is running until 2021 - so people outside Japan hopefully get the chance to buy them once it opens to international buyers again. (Unless there’s a limit on them and they sell out because I don’t know if these really count as standard items) EDIT: just noticed it does specify that people from outside Japan can enter! Entries are accepted from the end of July, no idea what the postal situation will be like then though.

I really like the eye shape for the MDD one but admit I’m not really sure about a flat mouth on a more mature sculpt for the other. But the faceup theme for DWC is said to be ‘freedom’ so maybe that’s why, it’s literally a blank canvas people will be able to do whatever with. 

Maybe this should be in it’s own thread...?

Edited by Monty

Galvatim

Volks is letting fans design clothes, and possibly recreating those drawings as official outfits again?  I'm surprised they'd do this after the issues with Ruri's original outfit.  

The face-up contest is cool.  I won't enter either contest, but it should be fun to watch.  

cfx
20 minutes ago, Monty said:

I really like the eye shape for the MDD one but admit I’m not really sure about a flat mouth on a more mature sculpt for the other. But the faceup theme for DWC is said to be ‘freedom’ so maybe that’s why, it’s literally a blank canvas people will be able to do whatever with. 

The eyes make the MDD head look somewhat like a cross between DDH-01 and DDH-04, though I like it more than either of those based on the painted sample; and it's so nice to see a MDD with a different head sculpt for once.

Agree on the mature sculpt, but I think with a small mouth like the painted sample, or a modded open mouth it has possibilities. Just painting on a smile is going to look funny on a more sculpted head like this. It works on the MDD heads because they're so flat and relatively featureless in terms of sculpted features anyway.

Monty
10 minutes ago, Galvatim said:

Volks is letting fans design clothes, and possibly recreating those drawings as official outfits again?  I'm surprised they'd do this after the issues with Ruri's original outfit.  

The face-up contest is cool.  I won't enter either contest, but it should be fun to watch.  

Ruri’s outfit wasn’t the only contest outfit that got made for real. There was that snow bunny outfit and the blue/black SD one with the cat ears (I’m bad with outfit names) off the top of my head, and probably others that people who know more about dollfie history than me will know about. Maybe there will be more measures in place to prevent this.

I don’t remember the snow bunny or Ruri’s original lolita coord being shown as the original design before the outfit itself was shown - ie as a way to announce the contests winner before the clothes are actually made (maybe I’m wrong? Does anyone know?). If they didn’t do that in the past, maybe they will this time - it gives more time for people to say ‘hey this design is plagiarism’ before it’s made if that happened again. Kinda like what Good Smile do - they show the winning Snow Miku design a while before they unveil the nendoroid/figma based on it. 

Edited by Monty

cfx
4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Ruri’s outfit wasn’t the only contest outfit that got made for real. There was that snow bunny outfit and the baby’s blue/black SF one with the cat ears (I’m bad with outfit names) off the toon of my head, and probably others that people who know more about dollfie history than me will know about. Maybe there will be more measures in place to prevent this.

I didn't know any of this, even about Ruri's outfit, but I thought I knew which two outfits you were referring to so I searched a bit and found this page; those two are from Dollfie World Cup 2015, Midnight Flower and Snowlight Rabbit:

https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/event/dwc/2015/

• Thanks 1

Selenae

Ooooh, I have to say I am really loving the eye shapes of the new DD heads for the contest, and the painted samples as well. Part of me hopes Volks might eventually add them to Dream Choice or to the standard blank head lineup, but seeing as they never did this for the resin DWC heads, it's unlikely. I'm also very excited for the idea of MDD/DD outfits designed by other people becoming a reality, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that portion.

Jezrah

I'm pretty sure I remember them saying that Akira v1's outfit was a contest winner. As she was my first lottery win, I read a lot about her at the time, though I don't know where that info would be located anymore. 

I likely wouldn't participate in the faceup competition regardless, but neither of those sculpts grabs me as one that I need to own either.

direpoodle
1 hour ago, cfx said:

An article with info and larger pictures of the DWC heads:

https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/blog/2020/04/21/002435.html

I'm not certain what I'm seeing here, but these old tweets referencing the 2015 Dollfie World Cup may be showing older outfits that were contest winners:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1252147298739425281

In the blog post, it says:

Entry to DWC & purchase of official items is limited to VS / VIP members only.

So does that mean people living outside Japan can't enter the DWC? I thought the announcement said the contest was open to people overseas, but you can't become a VS or VIP member unless you live in Japan, right?

Monty
11 hours ago, direpoodle said:

In the blog post, it says:

Entry to DWC & purchase of official items is limited to VS / VIP members only.

So does that mean people living outside Japan can't enter the DWC? I thought the announcement said the contest was open to people overseas, but you can't become a VS or VIP member unless you live in Japan, right?

I was confused about that too but there has been occassion where the VS stuff only applies to Japan - ie I think Luka’s limited preorder was for VS/VIP members only in Japan, but everyone on international. (Since basic membership is free, most DD fans in Japan are already members anyway) So this could be a similar thing...? They definitely pointed out that it wasn’t Japan only. 

I don’t really know anything about the DWC because the previous one was before I joined this hobby (like -right- before) so I don’t know how it works. Those photos of a past event with all the blank heads at tables almost imply something you have to do in person. But it sounds like there are different prizes in different categories, so it could just be that international entries are restricted to things that don’t have to be done in person. I’ll wait for more concrete rules. I was thinking there would have to either be an international-only category or an alternative prize because volks points aren’t any use to non VS/VIP members (not yet, anyway...)

Edit: looks like the post cfx linked answered some of the questions I had, especially about having to physically ship the head to volks in the final round. But I don’t know if the event will work the same way this time...especially with all these event cancellations. 

Edited by Monty

cfx
25 minutes ago, Monty said:

Edit: looks like the post cfx linked answered some of the questions I had, especially about having to physically ship the head to volks in the final round. But I don’t know if the event will work the same way this time...especially with all these event cancellations. 

When I noticed that the DD heads were 6000 yen, I wondered why they cost that much more than standard heads, and then noticed you get a face protector with them, and I wondered why. If the heads may have to be shipped, that's probably why.

Disclaimer: I can (poorly) read some Japanese, but it's a lot of effort for me, so I tend to mostly not do so, which means I also miss, or sometimes misinterpret, things on the Japanese pages. Volks' machine translation stuff is about worthless too so I seldom bother with it.