Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Chiakisenpai

Help me pick a wig color and style for my new girl~!

Chiakisenpai

Hello~!

I ordered a second head from Mandarake a week ago and I'm super excited to have a second girl in my collection! 

I've been looking at her head and wondering what to do for her hair, and I'm going to ask for some suggestions:) 

I think I will keep her eyes the way they are because I think they are sooo cute. 

So with just looking at her head, what do you think I should do for her wig color/ style?

dollfie.jpg

Monty

Wigs are always hard when you don’t have something specific in mind. Have you tried editing the image in photoshop/etc by drawing some wigs on? Even if they’re drawn as simple blocks of colour, while it won’t show you how she might look it can at least give you an idea of what colours will go best with her eyes, which might help you narrow it down.

RainbowNanaki

I'm definitely biased, but I really like Mandarake's line of Himekazura wigs! My absolute favourite is the "Mermaid" style in Platinum Blonde x Yellow Gold, size M. I find the waves and length really easy to maintain - just brush from the bottom and work your way up, like with any long wig. However, any of their non-updo styles are really lovely!  I have 5 Himekazura wigs in total, and plan on getting a couple more once shipping isn't so overloaded. The only thing to keep in mind is that darker styles come with dark wig caps, so you might need a white cloth cap underneath depending on the colour of wig.

I have also heard amazing things about Cotin Doll wigs, but I do not have any personal experience. My only real warning would be to stay away from Volks wigs.

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

Chiakisenpai
23 minutes ago, Monty said:

Wigs are always hard when you don’t have something specific in mind. Have you tried editing the image in photoshop/etc by drawing some wigs on? Even if they’re drawn as simple blocks of colour, while it won’t show you how she might look it can at least give you an idea of what colours will go best with her eyes, which might help you narrow it down.

I actually tried that earlier! I realized I really like blonde on her so I know I'm probably going for that color for sure. 

Chiakisenpai

Awesome, I'll have to check them out!

And if you dont mind me asking, what's bad about Volks wigs?

I have one from them and I thought the quality was pretty decent, although I only have two wigs so I dont have anything to compare it to.

Is it a staining problem or bad quality? 

cfx

Except for the Doll Point-only Dream Wigs, Volks wigs aren't made from the heat-resistant fiber type. That's not automatically a bad thing, but it's one reason they're not well liked. I'm not sure about their separately sold wigs, but the ones that come with the limited dolls often have durability issues, such as the type with the sewn-on twintails falling off; a number of people here had that problem with Rin Tohsaka v2 I know. And their wigs are expensive relative to most others.

Dark color Volks wigs do typically (always?) have the dark wig caps that stain as well.

Mandarake's Himekazura wigs don't always have dark caps in the dark colors--I have this blue-black wig and it has a tan wig cap:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1016123185&categoryCode=020114&lang=en

I've got wigs from Volks, Mandarake Himekazura, Cotin Doll and Crobi. The only one I was disappointed with where I'll never buy another is one of the Volks Dream Wigs. It is the heat-resistant fiber, but the fiber is very fine and shiny and looks cheap, and the coverage is so poor it's nearly impossible to not have the wig cap show. Other people seem to not have had that issue to the same degree as me though.

Other brands that have been recommended here that I'd want to try are For My Doll and Little Monica.

I would suggest before getting too invested in wanting some particular color/style for your girl, look at some of those sites to see what is available. I was going to make a custom doll where I only wanted a wig in a certain color range of red and in a certain style. What I wanted no one sells, and because it's what I was so mentally set on, it disappointed me enough I am no longer making that particular doll.

Jezrah

Other than the price being higher than others', I don't have a problem with Volks wigs. A few of my dolls use wigs from Volks, and they are my oldest dolls. The wigs are still holding up quite well after about 8 years. I also have/ used to have and then sold some limited wigs and I never had any problems. I haven't had one of the wigs with sewn on ponytails. It is an unfortunate problem that the stitching can come loose on those, but they can be sewn back on. My mom's resin doll also uses a Volks wig, and she loves it. She wanted her doll to have natural black hair, not artificially inky black, and not the dark brown that some other companies market as black, and that's a color that they carry. Fibers not being heat resistant is only a problem if you plan on restyling the hair. I'm not saying that other companies don't also carry beautiful wigs, I just don't get the Volks wig hate.

Anyways, I think blond would be pretty with your girl. Personally I see her with side part bangs so that you can still see at least one of her eyebrows. 

• Like 1

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

RainbowNanaki
16 hours ago, Chiakisenpai said:

And if you dont mind me asking, what's bad about Volks wigs?

I own one, and have also handled several of their non-Doll Point wigs, and I find the quality to be rather low. The fibres are often overly shiny and prone to tangling, and I personally find them to be unpleasant to the touch. They just feel cheap, with the fibre being a comparable quality to bad $10 human-sized wigs that I have handled in the past. Maybe I'm just a wig snob after years of experience with human-sized wigs, but I haven't liked any of the Volks wigs I have handled, and I have zero use for the one that I own. Also, even if I don't plan on styling a wig, I prefer working with heat-resistant fibres, as they tend to have a more natural level of shine and are more tangle-resistant.

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

Chihaya

I find most Volks wigs on the limited character dolls are always the best ones for keeping the character accurate even if you can find a lot better build quality wigs.

Dollfie Dreamer, Minion of GEOTUS, idolm@ster

cfx
3 minutes ago, Alienshroom said:

I find most Volks wigs on the limited character dolls are always the best ones for keeping the character accurate even if you can find a lot better build quality wigs.

For sure, other than the few where it's a hair style that's normal enough that another wig that's basically the same is available, or those very few cases where someone else makes a wig specific for the character that's pretty much a clone of the Volks wig but with better fiber, like Cotin Doll's Miku wigs.