The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

OccultBeast

What do you wish you knew before getting your first DD?

OccultBeast

Besides the obvious answers of "you'll quickly end up with more than one," and "they'll take over your whole life," what's something you wish you knew about Dollfie Dream dolls before buying your first one?

Since I still only have one DD myself (though I have a DWC head on the way already...), I don't really have any big thoughts yet.  However, I've collected dolls and figures for almost 10 years now and looking back at some of my first purchases, I know there are some things I wish I had known then to make more educated or just different initial choices, so I'm curious to see what the more 'established' veteran collectors (and newer ones, too!) have to say!

cfx

I didn't make this mistake, but I could have. I'm glad I didn't buy anything past the first I had, and especially no expensive limited doll, for quite some time, because as I looked at pictures of more and more DDs, my tastes on what I like and what I don't changed quite a bit, to a point that what I initially thought I wanted, I really didn't want after all.

Edited by cfx
  • Like 5

OccultBeast
4 minutes ago, cfx said:

I didn't make this mistake, but I could have. I'm glad I didn't buy anything past the first I had, and especially no expensive limited doll, for quite some time, because as I looked at pictures of more and more DDs, my tastes on what I like and what I don't changed quite a bit, to a point that what I initially thought I wanted, I really didn't want after all.

That's such a good point!  With resin dolls that was probably one of the biggest 'regrets' I had, basically.  My tastes changed so much pretty quickly because I was exposed to so many more custom dolls and just other sculpts once I had one and started to dig deep into it all.  I can't even imagine what that would have felt like if I had dropped significantly more on a limited doll for my first one, only to quickly grow to dislike it.

Which also kind of reminds me, and I think I could kind of apply it here too because it's also a mistake I could have made again with DD, but with resin dolls I purchased a blank to customize right from the start, and time and time again, too.  When I purchased my DD, I bought a fullset doll, even though I do have plans to redo the face-up down the line.  It's so much more enjoyable for me to pull a doll out of the box completely finished and ready for photographs and display.

Chiakisenpai

I wish I knew that heads, and other parts can be sold separately. 

A couple months ago I bought a Dollfie head and didn't know it was just a head so I had to buy the body a little later.

I was fine with it though! I just wish I was more educated on how people split parts, since I'm so used to buying anime figures which parts don't get split

Selenae

I'm similar to @cfx. I bought my first DD, Liliru, back when she was first released on the old MDD3 body in January of last year, and for all of my effort I just have not been able to click with her over a year later. I jumped on her on impulse, which was a *massive* amateur move because while I loved her sculpt in photos, it turns out that I hate her pouty upper lip in person, and that I also have problems with the body itself, a wobbly head and uneven legs being the issues.

I wish I had known to wait on releases, because I wasn't the only one with a wobbly Liliru head. x.x;

Edited by Selenae

cfx
34 minutes ago, OccultBeast said:

When I purchased my DD, I bought a fullset doll, even though I do have plans to redo the face-up down the line.  It's so much more enjoyable for me to pull a doll out of the box completely finished and ready for photographs and display.

That's another thing I think that's important to figure out before going too far--whether you like building dolls from pieces and customizing, or getting ones that are complete.

I started with customs, and I'm happy with the two I have, but I really did not enjoy the overall experience of making them. I also tried to make two others that I have given up on. The combination of too many choices and decisions to make and in opposition the inability to get very specific things I might want like certain eye or wig styles, and then things not looking like I envisioned even if I did get what I was trying for, just wasn't any fun for me. So I have since stuck with licensed character dolls and it's unlikely I'll ever do another custom.

I also figured out if a doll isn't based on an existing character I just don't have any attachment to it. People make up stories for their dolls and name them, etc. and that's great, but it's not for me. I mostly knew this, but still tried to make one that was based more on just an appearance of some other DDs I had seen that I really liked, but I found that just didn't work out for me, maybe in part because that one in particular I couldn't get anything like I actually wanted for her.

moerunamida

Echoing a bit that cfx said. I didn't start off with DDs but Pullips, and I bought way too many in a period of a couple years just because I thought they were pretty and not for any sort of connection. I then would just look at the lot of them with regret, because they were just dolls to me that I had no personal connection with. I sold all my Pullips when I bought my first Smart Doll and taught myself to wait a bit before getting another doll to figure out the reason for wanting. I added another Smart Doll a year later, and then my first DD, a used Sailor Moon almost a year after that.

• Like 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

OccultBeast
11 hours ago, cfx said:

That's another thing I think that's important to figure out before going too far--whether you like building dolls from pieces and customizing, or getting ones that are complete.

I started with customs, and I'm happy with the two I have, but I really did not enjoy the overall experience of making them. I also tried to make two others that I have given up on. The combination of too many choices and decisions to make and in opposition the inability to get very specific things I might want like certain eye or wig styles, and then things not looking like I envisioned even if I did get what I was trying for, just wasn't any fun for me. So I have since stuck with licensed character dolls and it's unlikely I'll ever do another custom.

I also figured out if a doll isn't based on an existing character I just don't have any attachment to it. People make up stories for their dolls and name them, etc. and that's great, but it's not for me. I mostly knew this, but still tried to make one that was based more on just an appearance of some other DDs I had seen that I really liked, but I found that just didn't work out for me, maybe in part because that one in particular I couldn't get anything like I actually wanted for her.

Yes!  I share your sentiment about not really enjoying the process of making a custom doll, or at least I haven't fully enjoyed it for making a custom doll based on a character I've already created.  Trying to find the 'perfect' item for eyes, hair, clothes, etc, is so frustrating.  And then like you said, in the end it just might not look how you expected or hoped it would and it's a bit of a letdown.  I think for me, building a custom doll not based off of anything is better, but still a risk because you may not grow attached.  Sometimes it's all just so hard!

That being said, I'm absolutely just repeating history and torturing myself by currently working on two custom Nendoroid dolls, and have plans for my DWC DD head to make a custom MDD out of it.  So... 🙃 I guess I'll never learn.

11 hours ago, Deyja said:

Echoing a bit that cfx said. I didn't start off with DDs but Pullips, and I bought way too many in a period of a couple years just because I thought they were pretty and not for any sort of connection. I then would just look at the lot of them with regret, because they were just dolls to me that I had no personal connection with. I sold all my Pullips when I bought my first Smart Doll and taught myself to wait a bit before getting another doll to figure out the reason for wanting. I added another Smart Doll a year later, and then my first DD, a used Sailor Moon almost a year after that.

I used to own a Yeolume and she was definitely an impulse purchase.  I had never owned Pullip dolls before, but I still wanted to use her for a custom project.  To make a short story even shorter, I ended up selling her years later after hanging on because, 'well, maybe one day...'  One day was not coming. 😂  That's a lesson I'm still learning, honestly, but I've made great progress from where I started.

It's so easy to impulse buy dolls and figures because 'they're cute!' or 'but I love this anime/character!' and then sometimes not even long after you're left looking at it wondering 'why did I actually buy this?'  Buyer's remorse is heavy in the doll world.

• Like 1

Ui-

Checking Mandarake for new base set dolls. I paid $200 more than I had to. Oh well. They had new ones just damaged boxes $200 of from Volk’s price. But it’s only $200. It’s not like missing out on Emilia and having to spend $2200 total to get everything. That sucks but is inevitable sometimes. Not a mistake. 

Hell, my first mistake was not knowing about Mandarake and YJP auctions in the first place. 

And even though you said it, I have to say it again. Dollfies are legal crack. I had no idea I’d spent so much money on them. I think I’m almost over $10,000 total (and I haven’t been buying long). 

They consume your life. But it’s not all that bad. So long as you don’t be stupid about your money, this is the best addiction in the world by far. 

I saw one guy who sold a HUUUUUGE collection—the WHOLE thing, over $100,000 worth including outfits and props—Just because a girl he was with didn’t like them. Sorry. But these girls were here first. Accept me and my girls for who we are or hit the highway. 

These dolls will be in my WILL. I will NEVER get rid of them. They’re SO cute and I love them sososo much. 

• Like 6

watercolorpastels

As a disclaimer I'm still fairly new to owning vinyl haha. I ended up getting a DDdy and despite the lovely figure it's kind of a bummer their accessory selection is so limited compared to standard size dd's ^^;

It's come to make me feel pretty restricted in what I'm able to do with her altogether. Had I done more reasearch I'd probably have started with a DD or DDS.

I do still love her though and I'm making it work lol

rensuchan

I guess the best way to answer this would be....

I wish I knew what I wanted?

I wanted a custom based on a character and I made very silly decisions when communicating with the faceup artist, resulting in a head that is now out for her third paint job ^^;

The initial job was almost 6 years ago now. (Wow, it's really been that long...)

I've learned a lot more about what I like in heads and I can give a lot better instructions to the artists I commission now. The main reason the head is out again it just to fix some mod imperfections and get a bit of a makeover, but given that it was my first doll and I didn't really know what looked good, I think I would have been better off with a standard, some sort of artist choice, or a pre-painted head for my first, rather than jumping right into a commission. (I didn't really like any of the standards in 2014 though ^^;)

So unless you're coming from a background of other doll types, I'd just advise to either have a very clear picture of what you want, or to make your first easier on yourself until you can figure it out.

Conuresans

Kinda goes along with what's being said currently but don't settle.

I started the hobby with a floating head I couldn't even get out painted until like, last year. I bought a fullset for a sculpt I was iffish on for the body and while I do enjoy her, she's still not got the same energy as the other girls do? I haven't sent her to get painted yet so I'm hoping if/when I do it fixes things but I feel a bit terrible for it really. Any girls that came in after that were ones I fell in love with and, thankfully, had a multi-year window to sit and look at owner pics and decide (hence why I didn't say when possible as most girls will eventually reappear in some way or another in varying degrees of condition, unlike with BJDs/Resin dolls). 

Also, it's perfectly fine to eventually not feel a need for any other dolls. Yes, DDs/vinyl girls are collectibles. And yes, there's jokes thrown around about them being like chips and needing friends. However, that's the nice part about collections- You have a say in how you do it. You're not required to enter the lottos for the newest girls or join every year's PO project. If you have one girl and you feel that's enough, then you can say that as even on DDII bodies, as old as they are, still serve their purpose. Not quite as well as say as the f3, but still. When I first got into the hobby, I couldn't imagine reaching a point where I wouldn't want another girl. But as the years went by and in recent purchases, I can safely say that I will more than likely reach that point soon as I have maybe 2 girls I know I want to add with MDDs being a later possibility when all is said and done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Home: Melt (DDH-09), Kano (Iris Collect), Kirika, Y'Shtola, Suzune (Iris Collect Petite)

Meep

Can I ask a newbie question? Do you find it better to start with an idea for a character, or to just get a doll and build a character from there? (I mean an original character, not a fandom character, in my case.)

OccultBeast
19 minutes ago, Meep said:

Can I ask a newbie question? Do you find it better to start with an idea for a character, or to just get a doll and build a character from there? (I mean an original character, not a fandom character, in my case.)

I think that depends on the person, as some people really love starting from scratch and building your own doll, while others prefer to have a pre-made finished out of the box style doll.

Both having an idea in mind beforehand and building a character around the doll have their advantages and disadvantages.

Having an existing OC to work from means that you already know what you want, but it can be very hard to find items (wigs, eyes, clothing, etc) that fit the exact image you're looking for.  For me personally, this is the most frustrating way to build a doll, as I know exactly what I want and can't settle for anything less than perfect, which usually means I can't have the finished doll I want.  If you can sew, you have more freedom here, otherwise you may end up spending a lot of money on custom made clothing for your doll to get it exactly how you want it.  It can take a very long time, too, since finding everything is almost a sort of 'never-ending battle.'

Building a character around the doll means that you have the freedom to buy whatever strikes your fancy, but can be a challenge if you're not entirely sure what 'theme' or route to go with.  I think this is the 'easier' of the two options, so long as you have spent some time looking around at options for clothes, wigs, etc beforehand and can settle on an aesthetic for the doll before you start.  Ie: deciding to buy a MDD and knowing that you want to go with a 'Fairy Kei' style aesthetic and buying items to fit that, building the doll with pieces as you go.  From experience having made BJD in both ways, I think this one is easiest and might leave you the most satisfied.

But again, everyone is different and it's unfortunately something you just have to experience to know.  If you're a 'perfectionist' like myself, then you might also find the second method a little easier.  But, if you can't see yourself becoming attached to a doll without a set character beforehand, it could be a struggle.  I wish I had known the differences in 'doll-building styles' before I started with dolls, but having experienced it from all sides now, I definitely have an understanding you just can't get or know without doing it yourself.  It's okay if you buy or make a doll and then don't love them, even very soon after.  You can always try again!

• Like 1

Jezrah

I agree, and I would think that's a personal preference. For myself, I need to adopt a doll that I like the looks of, and then fiddle with their hair, eyes, and clothing style until I am happy with them and have a feel for the personality that they would have. 

I have a really hard time starting with a character that I want to make and piecing things together from there, because if I can't find the perfect eyes I won't be satisfied. I can trim and restyle a wig, I can custom make clothing, I can do my own faceup, but I haven't delved into eye making so that's my sticking point.

Also, the more custom items that are needed, the more time that is spent pulling things together, or the more money that is spent if you need to pay for someone to make the custom items.

Both ways are still valid, though. It really depends on if you will be comfortable only getting close to your character idea if you can't find spot on pieces.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Meep

Thank you! I went with "buy a doll, build a character" when I was into resin BJDs; my boys are all kind of made up from what I was able to afford or find at the time, and that worked out pretty well. I was thinking I'd probably do the same with a vinyl doll, but I wanted to hear others' opinions!

Ui-

I pick a character then I make the character. If I can’t make a part I pay someone who can. To me, no price is too high if it’s worth it, and I want it. 

Same with face ups. If there’s something I can’t do, I’ll send the head to someone who can. Customizations as well; example, I’ve just started to sand the eyes of my DWC-01 head so the top lids are flattened. (I’m doing Beatrice from Re:Zero. Only main re:zero girl I’m missing lol. I finally got Emilia. Was about to customize elf ears On a normal sculpt).

Because yes, I’m also a perfectionist and my doll has to be exactly what I want. If it’s not, I will completely wipe the make up off and redo, or throw out/store whatever else didn’t work/look good enough. Storing it only if it could possibly be used on someone else at some time. If I sew an outfit and it’s even 1mm too short, I will remake it. If it’s too long I will rehem it so it is the correct length. Etc. You get the picture I’m sure. 

This is by far the hardest route to take. It much easier to get a LE that you like or even a base like Towa (I got her—such a cute sculpt. Debating on redoing her faceup though). It takes a long time to make EVERYTHING for your doll, or commission from someone. And that’s gonna be costly. Custom heads usually run $250+ (to way higher. I paid $1000 for a head once; limited but still). Some people will sell prepainted heads, but they won’t be what you want. You’ll just have to hope you like it enough.

Unless you have some type of artistic ability—sewing, painting, making scaled down armor and weapons—it is probably a better idea to just get a body, check Yahoo Japan Auctions, Mandarake, Facebook groups, etc. for a head, and then fish around for clothing that match your doll’s body and bust size. As an example, you’ll find yourself having a lot more fun with this hobby than if you were constantly frustrated about being unable to get the eyebrows “just right.” 

Some people will sell full doll sets, custom head, comes with wig, custom eyes preinstalled, clothing. I know some people on Etsy do this for about $1000. That might seem expensive to you, but for exactly what you want, knowing it’ll be perfect, and you don’t have to do anything but open your wallet, makes this a good upfront purchase, even though some do offer layaway.

Whichever way you choose to go, you’re going to have to open your wallet no matter what. So make sure you have fun. Pick the way that will be the most fun to you. I don’t want to think about how much I’ve spent and am still spending (finishing pieces and multiple dolls concurrently), but I wouldn’t regret it even if I did go back and look at my transaction history. 

I love my girls. They’re the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning, so I am sure to rise with a smile. They make me happy. They’re fun. I enjoy taking pictures too. Make sure you have as much fun as I do, too! It’s a worthwhile hobby and you meet a lot of cool people. If you’re going to spend this much on something, the thing I’d want to make sure of first: am I even going to like my girl a month down the road? Will I regret it? 

Next to buy a buttload of joint parts for all the extra pairs of hands I have (like 18?).

Been going strong for over two decades. I wonder what the next body frame will be when they develop some new technology for BJDs. Haha. Interesting to see the evolution of Dollfies over the years. As you can tell, there’s a long future ahead of you still. :) I don’t see anything happening to Volks... ever? Certainly not BJDs. Someone else will pick up where Volks leaves off. (I know there are loads of companies; just saying haha)

Mega Negi

wig maintenance. Miku was my first DD and it was like drinking from the fire hose.

• Haha 4

OccultBeast
8 hours ago, Mega Negi said:

wig maintenance. Miku was my first DD and it was like drinking from the fire hose.

Lmao by the gods yes.  I've dealt with BJD wigs for many many years but Miku's wig honestly is a whole new level of insanity.  One of the first things I did was buy Mist for her bangs.

• Like 1

Poofiemus
20 hours ago, Meep said:

I've done a mix: a couple full set license characters that I refuse to alter beyond changing eyes and occasionally wigs/clothes (Fate and Nanoha), fullset I customized but kept the base character (Miku), fullsets I turned into different characters (Kirito into Yuuri Katsuki and Smart Doll Eiji Kai into Viktor Nikiforov), standard head/body I completely customized into a character Volks has probably never heard of (my 03 head DDDy, Agatha Heterodyne from Girl Genius), and original characters that just kind of. . . happened, based off playing around with painting the heads (my MDDs, Abby Normal and WIP dragon girl Asphodel).

I've loved working on and playing with all of them. Then again I'm kind of an explorer/tinkerer type person, and know how to craft a lot of things besides doll stuff, so customs are right up my alley. I love making them clothes and props and eyes, and doing faceups. I also love posing and photographing them in ways that show their personalities.

The one thing I havent done is specifically customize a doll to fit one of my existing original characters. It's not that I don't have OCs . . . I (attempt to) write novels periodically, so I really have dozens that I could turn into dolls if I wanted to. The real reason is that there's only one OC I want to "shell" into a doll, but even after 10 years in the hobby (11 if you include the year between when I decided I wanted a doll and when I actually got my first), I STILL have not found the right head. I've been waiting to find a head that makes me go, "That's it. That's her!", but no dice so far. There've been some that could maaaybe work but never enough that I could make myself confidently spend the money. At this point I'm wondering if I'll have to 3D model and print her head myself.

• Like 1

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Meep
2 hours ago, Poofiemus said:

standard head/body I completely customized into a character Volks has probably never heard of (my 03 head DDDy, Agatha Heterodyne from Girl Genius)

OMG, I haven't heard anyone mention Girl Genius in a hundred years. Now I feel old.

How do the SmartDolls and Dollfie Dreams look together? I feel like I usually only see posts (on IG, anyway, where I do most of my doll ogling) with one or the other, even people who own both. I like the look of both, but I'm not sure how they "fit" together?

RainbowNanaki
59 minutes ago, Meep said:

How do the SmartDolls and Dollfie Dreams look together? I feel like I usually only see posts (on IG, anyway, where I do most of my doll ogling) with one or the other, even people who own both. I like the look of both, but I'm not sure how they "fit" together?

I take pictures of my Smart Dolls and my DDS with each other!! I think they go well together, but I'm sure there are others who have different opinions. Honestly, what makes the DDS stick out the most are the custom eyes I made, imo.

If you need/want any more pictures, please feel free to DM me on Instagram! I can even pop some animetic-style eyes in my DDS if needed.

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

cfx

@RainbowNanaki I think those look fine together, and I think it's because of the different eyes in the Smart Doll girl.

Personally I find Smart Doll and DD to look mismatched when the Smart Dolls have their original eyes, and especially with them still placed in the cross-eyed manner that they come from the factory in.

Those limited red Volks eyes are a nice look too.

Edited by cfx

Poofiemus
3 minutes ago, Meep said:

OMG, I haven't heard anyone mention Girl Genius in a hundred years. Now I feel old.

Girl Genius is still going, man! And so is my Agatha DDDy. Though admittedly she's headless at the moment, for sewing convenience, lol. 

Right now Eiji Kai is my only Smartdoll, and I do think he looks good with his DD boyfriend: 

44701828460_592e9861fc_c.jpg1229181209 by Poofiemus, on Flickr

That said, Eiji Kai and a couple of the newer semi-realistic Smart Dolls are the only ones I actually like, tbh? I'm kind of a lip snob when it comes to doll sculpts so most of the super flat, tiny Smart Doll mouths don't really do it for me. 

For what it's worth, some of the Azone 50cm dolls are more sculpted, and go pretty decently with DDs despite having painted eyes: 

16769052251_460691842a_c.jpgDSC_0002 Edit by Poofiemus, on Flickr

Though I have to say, even if sculpts go together, temperaments might not:

16769155541_cc500ccfbf_c.jpgDSC_0031 Edit by Poofiemus, on Flickr

If Miku wasn't an android, Homura would SO have murdered her by now, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Ui-
14 minutes ago, Poofiemus said:

16769155541_cc500ccfbf_c.jpgDSC_0031 Edit by Poofiemus, on Flickr

If Miku wasn't an android, Homura would SO have murdered her by now, lol. 

Oh Jesus. That look on her face. WATCH OUT, MIKU. DONT LET HATSUNE MIKU NO SHOUSHITSU COME TRUEEEE. 

She’s doomed. Poor Miku. My favorite character ever   ;-;

(that picture is flipping adorable. I don’t usually like Azone dolls, but that works like magic).

Edited by Ui-