Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

moerunamida

Doll loyalty never falters

moerunamida

Do any of you ever feel like your dolls (and pets of course), sometimes make for better friends and family than real life? I've been disabled for six and a half years now, and as more times goes on the less I find I can count on anyone or feel that they can truly empathize. I've lost friends and quite a few family members who think I'm just faking my health issues. My dolls have never not believed me when I've said I'm physically sick today and just can't get anything done. They've never treated me like dirt and assume that I just wanted to quit my job at a younger age and 'retire'. I know it is hard to sympathize with someone who is physically or even emotionally disabled unless you've walked in their shoes yourself, by my gosh why are some people so cruel? My faith in God, my girls, and my cats help me get through the day. I have two invisible disabilities, and I get the crap "Oh, but you don't look sick. I'm sure you could work if you really put your mind to it!" I just look to my left and see smiling faces looking back at me silently cheering me on. Their smiles are a warm cup of tea on a frosty night, but oh my gosh sometimes the isolation kills me.

More personal story: My husband and I went to the local beach on my birthday a week ago to watch a sunset. We were going to walk down the beach, but my back wouldn't allow it (one of my disabilities). So we sat our chairs down at the water's edge and just relaxed. I watched people walk by us and fought bitter tears while acknowledging that I'll never be able to go for a long walk again. I've had back issues start when I was 10 but didn't get a full diagnoses until it was too late. I have permanent nerve damage and live in pain every day, but I cannot take pain killers. I also deal with chronic migraines. But before I started working my last job, my husband and I would go for 7 mile walks. Watching strangers walk by, I hope and pray that they never have to deal with anything like I do. One of the many things I've learned over the years is deeper level of kindness and compassion, because you never truly know how a person gets through the day. They could be lying in bed crippled with pain or severe anxiety and unable to move.

Sorry, I guess this was a darker topic. For any of you out there that suffers from a disability, know you are not alone ever! <3<3  I'm so thankful for my dolls and my cats.

itest.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Secrets

I completely understand the feeling. I'm not physically disabled, but I've had some mental health issues. I didn't have a lot of friends for a few years, and the ones I had ignored me/stopped responding. Things are much better now, but I still live far away from anybody. Dolls always felt like they cared more. I mean, logically they're just dolls, but it feels like there's somebody who cares, when there's nobody else. 

My dolls are a huge help now too. I had to leave behind family, my bird (hurts the most, I really miss him, but I wouldn't have done it if there was another option), and a lot of my stuff due to Covid and personal reasons. It's nice to have them with me, especially Evan (SMD Eiji). Having a doll with such an important character to me is really something else. I only wish I had more materials so I do more with them. Still haven't gotten my hands on fabric yet.

• Like 3

Gabriel

I know what you mean.  I'll just leave it at that.

I think all of us have comfort talismans of some sort or another.  I know there are days I'm just happy to come home from work and see my girls lined up as if they're welcoming me back.  For much of my youth, I had a starship Enterprise model which was my comfort talisman.  I'd have a bad day, but I'd come home and my model would be there.  I'd pick it up, sit down, and just imagine it cruising around through the stars, and it would make me feel better.

• Like 3

MadQueenHarmony

I know what you mean.  I became rather suddenly and unexpectedly disabled in 2013 (long story).  Since then, every single person I thought I could count on and who would never leave me has walked themselves out of my life once I was unable to do what they wanted or give them what they wanted.  I was lucky to meet my partner in 2016, and bless him, he tries... he really does.  But he doesn't fully get it, and I pray he never has to, ya know?

But, somehow, I just know that my dolls get it.  And my cats love me to death no matter what.  

• Like 3

Yesterday's today's tomorrow

baldylox

My dolls are my sanity check.  No matter how crappy my day might have been, they are always there for me with big smiles.  They make me happy just being here for me.  I love dressing them up and taking pics of them and just having sit with me or on my lap in the evenings while I'm winding down.

So I feel you completely.  Without my girls, I think I'd be a lot more cranky and less motivated than I am now.

Billy

• Like 4

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

sunlightandtea

This is a very heartwarming thread to read. I'm glad we're able to do this and share our stories, even from around the world.

I got back into the hobby this year around March, right before lockdown. Afterwards I was in my room 24/7 because my job went online. All my video conferences and meetings were also faceless (no camera), so I effectively saw none of my peers for months. It was a very lonely time, but when I had a doll sitting on my desk, as odd as it sounds, I felt a little more peaceful. Like having a lit candle, or a cat in the same room.

Well, maybe not as good as a kitty but I've got two who dutifully ignore me. Gotta love 'em. Cheers to 2021. 🍾

• Like 2

moerunamida
12 hours ago, sunlightandtea said:

This is a very heartwarming thread to read. I'm glad we're able to do this and share our stories, even from around the world.

I got back into the hobby this year around March, right before lockdown. Afterwards I was in my room 24/7 because my job went online. All my video conferences and meetings were also faceless (no camera), so I effectively saw none of my peers for months. It was a very lonely time, but when I had a doll sitting on my desk, as odd as it sounds, I felt a little more peaceful. Like having a lit candle, or a cat in the same room.

Well, maybe not as good as a kitty but I've got two who dutifully ignore me. Gotta love 'em. Cheers to 2021. 🍾

I feel the same way about candles (and cats). Candles and colored Christmas lights just make me feel emotionally so much better. I have a little mini tree and I took a couple last minute photos of it with my girls. My mood boosted significantly.

Thanks for all the lovely comments! I hope you are all doing well <3

• Like 2

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Yushimi

That's a beautiful story ;; it's true, they are friends. I think it's because of the love we put into them!
My DD embodies my OC that I created to get through my childhood, so it's a mental and emotional escape of sorts. The doll is a fantastic vessel for her, and I feel extra close to her over my other dolls.

• Like 3