Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

finnleo

Adventures in 3D Modeling & Printing.

finnleo
2 hours ago, baldylox said:

Oh well, I tried.

no worries, and I do appreciate the effort ... things are just a bit annoying IRL that might reflect here a bit... and I probably have a solution already (see below).

12 hours ago, AliensOfGold said:

AliExpress?

I dont think I have the patience, tolerance, or whatnot required to go that route ... I know its the hip thing to do these days -- but I just remembered (was featured three years ago on Martin Molin's ball bearing glockenspiel project, so I have some excuse of forgetting about it) one place in europe, www.supermagnete.de that has all the variety I'd need for a batch order -- yes, they are a bit more expensive than ali after some cost offsets ... but I am most likely to get whats on the order sheet.

but I still need to sort out quite a few things before I can even think of placing an order.

12 hours ago, AliensOfGold said:

What’s in that To Heart box you posted?

as Tasuke mentioned, its a set of laserdiscs of the series, the chunky box to house all the discs was an add-on for either the last or first disc in the series.

sinclair
On 7/8/2020 at 4:48 AM, finnleo said:

Just the final end product this time, since it was a quick and slightly filthy modeling practice piece I did in a autodesk modeler to see how far I could push it:

49805848223_ffc51da59f_b.jpg

saber279

The surface is just sanded white PLA, unfortunately the image doesent show the interesting growth-ring effect the layered printing had on the mask.

What is Saber wearing?

I got a 3D printer myself.  Joann Fabric was having a blowout on Polaroid PlaySmart printers, $99 a pop.  So I snagged one.  Finally got around to setting it up, or trying to.  Before you can use it you have to update the firmware as it was shipped with bad firmware.  On top of that mine would not connect to the WiFi to download new firmware.  So I gave up and gave it to my brother who has 3 of these printers.  He ended up getting Polaroid support to email him the firmware to update it via SD card.  I'm not all the impressed so far, you can't plug it into a computer to print to or communicate, not clue why it has USB on the back at all.  The front USB is only for stick drives.  But anywho, finally got it to print.  So far I've only made Weighted Companion Cubes with it as my boys are current obsessed with the game.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YsQhAjMMBVY/YI9hQNm_HRI/AAAAAAAAKeU/QKgBpDIvmRcQZtN6wg9jRjZ9dO3oX_NdwCK8BGAsYHg/s0/2021-05-02.jpg?authuser=0

Still too small, even for my PureNeemo girls.  I still need to think about what other kinds of things I'd like to print for any of my girls.  I've got some things in mind already for my model railroad, but I need to get some of the wood PLA first.

finnleo
8 hours ago, sinclair said:

What is Saber wearing?

Its a full body ankles to wrists bodysuit from this place (I recall their id being NynJ55, either they changed it a bit, or misremembered...), currently they dont have this exact style on offer, but it used to come in several flavors: rubber-like semi gloss (as on saber) in red, black and white, high gloss "stretch pvc" in red, black, white, and also in certain color flips like green/yellow, and blue/purple.

9 hours ago, sinclair said:

I'm not all the impressed so far,

Seems still like a slightly better time than what I had with my FL-sun branded DIY kit, that I had to reinforce, build an enclosure to keep heat in it for possible ABS and PETG, and whatnot other little shinenigans while setting it up... and still need to sort out the Z-axis mirroring, and make a cooling setup for the extruder nozzle.

for a benjamin, I think its not a bad deal that you get a (sort of) ready to go stand alone printer, that doesent seem to be even locked to in house branded filaments, like I believe the dremel one's are (since all dremel filament spools are tagged, and the machines keeps track of how much there is on any given one you feed it), even with the small build plate, although for a 250-ish retail ... maybe not so much.

I wonder if the rear USB port mystery might be that the thing is only branded polaroid and in reality is something else, where as something else the port is used for PC control via Cura or something similar without the onboard touch-screen.

finnleo

Well after a few months again the stars finally aligned in terms of motivation, opportunity, nothing else more pressing to do, and whatnot purchases...

so while on a extended test drive of a car I had in for instepction maintenance, I finally did get around to purchasing the magnets I was needing in 8X3mm size, and decided to work on the antennas again, finally breaking the parts off the print frame (or sprue if you wish..)

The bits required are in filler and waiting for paint, to explain the slightly splotchy look.

As I found out, that despite having a pretty nasty intimate holding strength, these smaller one's do lose their oomph with distance, so I ended up having to suspend the one's meant for the antenna's in hotsnot:

51333207262_cc09e6e7ce_c.jpg

3dprints018

I could have reprinted the part with a suitable offset, but I deemed that too much effort for a one and done item in terms of eventual photo's.

inside the noggin I went for double magnets, and glued into place...

51334660774_ec43f579ab_c.jpg

3dprints019

as these were going to be the "final" items, I spent a bit more time matching the earmuffs to the head:

51334153653_57b77f5b2a_c.jpg

3dprints020

So now I only need to find my white enamel paint:

51334660734_a65ce6510e_c.jpg

3dprints021

End results coming to a batch photo thread near you ... sometime in the next few months... maybe...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

finnleo

was on a bit of a roll and got the outfits together, and took a dial-in picture, and some quick cheeky product info text...

51337158240_f0478b7acc_b.jpg

lulu045

moar photos in the works...

*scratches one project off the to-do list...*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AliensOfGold

What type of 3D printer do you have?

finnleo
33 minutes ago, AliensOfGold said:

What type of 3D printer do you have?

A cheap nasty chinese DIY jobbie:

49278733352_f477ef9b9c_b.jpg

Made for volume, not finesse... and has since that photo been reinforced, and encapsulated. a bit rough and tumble but gets the job and the odd VW part done...

And yes, I know resin would be better for finicky stuff, but any new equipment is not in the cards at the moment, so need to keep refining what I have, for which I have some ideas.

• Haha 1

AliensOfGold

As long as it works that’s all that matters.

The print results you get from it look pretty good for the scale so I don’t think a resin printer would be worth it.

I’ve been looking at 3d printers myself recently including resin and I decided I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of a resin printer so I’ll be hunting around for one of those Prusa machines when I can afford it.

finnleo
7 hours ago, AliensOfGold said:

As long as it works that’s all that matters.

True this.

Mine was a bit of a brexit fire sale special (at the time cheapest 300x300x350mm sized heated bed printer), with all the bells and whistles you could have in a DIY kit ... and in the end I ended up not using almost none of them, because they just didnt work, or didnt have any real documentation on how you could make them work.

Just takes a bit of patience with the "some assembly required" models, since it is going to be a learning experience -- and also the will to tinker with stuff.

I think an option to the Prusa's are Anycubic / Ender items, though no actual personal experience. Ben Heck did a few youtube videos on the anycubic range awhile back .. didnt seem too annoyed (for the price and all, though the second filament, and the resin one were review freebies).

Tasuke
On 7/26/2021 at 4:31 AM, finnleo said:

was on a bit of a roll and got the outfits together, and took a dial-in picture, and some quick cheeky product info text...

51337158240_f0478b7acc_b.jpg

lulu045

moar photos in the works...

*scratches one project off the to-do list...*

OHMYGOD, WOW!!! perhaps you could do a straight-up HMX-12 Multi as well? one of my favorite Anime girls of all time;

1999%20Laserdisc%20NTSC%20CAV%20To%20Hea

Konomi_and_Multi_7-25-21_RESIZE_40.jpg?w

Edited by Tasuke

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

finnleo

Well, the rest of the photo's are in this thread. which include some shots in the TH2 school unform.

and thats about as close I can get to a screen accurate Multi out of TH1 ... apart from maybe using the DDP body, but then the unform would be way too baggy, even for a multi cosplay.

finnleo

Well one thing leading to needing another .. I started working on a rough draft of the next prop ...

51358574521_19339630e2_b.jpg

3dprints022

yes, we are returning to business as usual with firearms development.

Fans of a certain russian blue catgirl might recognize the general idea, and it does have a name ... though my work-folder name for it is "Flyswatter".

Its in its first design stages, and has the beam rifle mockup in there for placement reference... still needs the shoulder pad, front and secondary grips, and what details I want to incorporate into a one-and-done thing.

AliensOfGold

Do you produce and sell your models to order or are these just personal projects?

finnleo

All of my stuff in the workshop area are personal projects. I should still have everything around .. apart from the kantele prototype I gifted one of my uncles.

the main idea is "if I can do this, maybe you can too". And this is pretty much the easiest explanation I can give for it.

There are more reasons just to showcase stuff being made, than trying to make money off them or justifiying the cost of the end product that I might actually consider selling.

EDIT: yay for server errors when trying to reply ...

Edited by finnleo

finnleo

Another little quick and quite dirty item today...

A youtube project that I've been following since its beginning eight years ago is starting to near its big finale... so I thought I'd finally get my butt into gear and make a prop suitable for the occasion:

51364050347_d0e3026d13_b.jpg

3dprints022

As far as fails go, the text is not centered with the flag , and is a bit wonky, but was the best I could do with a gundam panel marker ... and also not in italics, but eh... 2,5mm tall letters and all -- and was a one-shot affair too since it was a thirsty raw PLA-surface.

as far as successes, I am chuffed how the flag turned out being almost freehanded with a 5/0 brush -- though I did use 2mm masking tape to keep a line with the outer edges.

actual setting photo to follow, once it all dries.

finnleo

A bit of a revision for the mug in the form of inserts:

51377553138_54d35d5a7b_b.jpg

3dprints023

so far in three flavors, level, tilted, and more tilted.

Rajke

Your 3D prints are looking good. Especially the scaled weapons. 👍😀 

@onion20@   This is a signature.

finnleo

Took some time to start adding details to the flyswatter thing... even though I wasnt really supposed to...

51408587760_a6e4124aaf_c.jpg

3dprints024

forgot to take an exploded view screencap, since its still built like the AER-9 model to be a assembly kit to make printing a lot more easy, and nicer.

although probably should rotate my efforts back to liberty at some point though... oh well...

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 1

finnleo
20 minutes ago, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

magnets!

eBay

Dollmore

yea, I already got a few suggestions for them across the thread, though my go to choise for a bulk order would probably still be supermagnete.de

anything coming outside the EU would have the unit cost offset by the customs and tax fee's, and the postage benefit will be nulled by the out of EU handling charge by the finnish postal service.

But different options are good if they are available or viable to people. or in dollmore's case if you are getting something else while at it.