Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

engelinvitro

mika's DD faceup adventures

engelinvitro

MDD!Cyrus - DWC-01 (Personal Collection)

spacer.png

spacer.png

---

Cyrus - DDH-08 (Personal Collection)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by engelinvitro
  • Like 11

Gallye

Ooh, he did turn out very nicely! I look forward to seeing more of your paint jobs. 😄

Monty

I love both of them, but I’m especially impressed with that 08 as it’s admittedly not a head I like that much and it seems to be a challenge, as the mouth is kinda awkward looking to me (even with the default faceups from Volks)  But your guy is so adorable it’s making me rethink my whole feeling on the sculpt. Extending that smile and adding the teeth was a great decision!

Jezrah
6 minutes ago, Monty said:

But your guy is so adorable it’s making me rethink my whole feeling on the sculpt. 

Agreed, there are only two other 08s (which were twins) that I ever thought looked cute, but Cyrus looks so awesome I immediately bookmarked his pic. 🥰 I have to rethink this sculpt.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

ParacosmDoll

Edited by ParacosmDoll

engelinvitro
On 7/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, Gallye said:

Ooh, he did turn out very nicely! I look forward to seeing more of your paint jobs. 😄

Thanks so much!! I do think DDs are more fun to paint than BJDs (prolly cuz it's easier LOL). I need to develop a style for them, though. I don't draw the most detailed eyes and it shows in my faceups, which is heavily dependent on that aspect, I think.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:51 PM, Monty said:

I love both of them, but I’m especially impressed with that 08 as it’s admittedly not a head I like that much and it seems to be a challenge, as the mouth is kinda awkward looking to me (even with the default faceups from Volks)  But your guy is so adorable it’s making me rethink my whole feeling on the sculpt. Extending that smile and adding the teeth was a great decision!

Oh that means a lot, thank you! I'm actually quite the opposite in that I think 08's a cute model. It's currently the only standard head I like. I do agree that it can look a bit awkward (vacant?) depending on how the smile is painted. One thing I don't like so much about it are the eye wells. I'm not sure if it's a problem limited to this head only, but the wells are so thick that it makes his eyes beady looking...

On 7/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, Jezrah said:

Agreed, there are only two other 08s (which were twins) that I ever thought looked cute, but Cyrus looks so awesome I immediately bookmarked his pic. 🥰 I have to rethink this sculpt.

Thanks so much! 💕 Even though I'm a fan of this head, I have to admit it does benefit from some tweaking to get it to look cuter.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, Majikaru-Rin said:

Ah! I remember seeing this sweet boy over on DOA and thinking he was gorgeous. His vinyl counterpart looks equally as adorable, you did an amazing job with his face up! 👍☺️

Awww thank you! 🥰 I'm happy you could recognize him as a DD. My worries about having multiple dolls of the same character is that they don't match each other. He doesn't have the most complicated face in the world so I, hopefully, can get away with it haha

Rumi

Wow the transition from 2D art into doll form was insanely accurate 😮 i love your 2D art and DD >v< Perhaps it is a bit off topic but where can i see more of you digital art of these cuties? 

bulgogi017

Cyrus is adorable! You did a lovely job~ The violet eyes are gorgeous!

engelinvitro
On 7/17/2020 at 10:44 AM, Rumi said:

Wow the transition from 2D art into doll form was insanely accurate 😮 i love your 2D art and DD >v< Perhaps it is a bit off topic but where can i see more of you digital art of these cuties? 

Thank you so much! I'm sure he can look a bit more in-model (I'm working on it!), but it always makes me happy to hear that both my art and dolls resemble each other. Unfortunately, I'm on a long break from social media, so my instagram's temporarily deactivated ;_;

On 7/28/2020 at 11:16 AM, bulgogi017 said:

Cyrus is adorable! You did a lovely job~ The violet eyes are gorgeous!

Thank you! Purple eyes are his thing ☺️

---

MDD!Cyrus - DWC-01 (Personal Collection)

50168528733_0b37bfc197_b.jpg

Edited by engelinvitro
  • Like 2

engelinvitro

[saving for later]

Edited by engelinvitro
image links are dead
  • Like 4

Akemi3167

Beautiful work! And the breakdown of steps is very helpful!

• Like 1

engelinvitro

I lost track of where I am on the counter so I reset. I also reformatted all my previous posts to contain just the images since I no longer feel like documenting too much of my process (am lazy n tired these days oops)

---

DD Ruri

[saving for later]

Edited by engelinvitro
image links are dead
  • Like 4

Friendlily

I only ever saw bits and pieces of your work scattered across the forums, but it's only now that I come across this (I just never scrolled down to the workshop that much)! Wow! It's so impressive how delicate you can get the lines. I feel a little ashamed that I didn't find this earlier, your work is truly great! Otherwise, great work!

Edited by Friendlily
Deleted a question that I made into its own post
  • Like 1

Things are going to be okay.

Veravey
On 9/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, engelinvitro said:

IMG-4211-resize.jpg

Wow I'm a little speechless with this faceup, it looks so soft it's incredible.

How many sealed layers does this much detailing usually take? And how do you create such perfect gradients? 

• Like 2

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

engelinvitro
On 9/14/2020 at 9:10 AM, Friendlily said:

I only ever saw bits and pieces of your work scattered across the forums, but it's only now that I come across this (I just never scrolled down to the workshop that much)! Wow! It's so impressive how delicate you can get the lines. I feel a little ashamed that I didn't find this earlier, your work is truly great! Otherwise, great work!

Apologies for the late response >< I'm ashamed to admit my use of the forums has been sporadic lately. Thank you so much for your kind words!

On 10/1/2020 at 9:48 PM, Veravey said:

Wow I'm a little speechless with this faceup, it looks so soft it's incredible.

How many sealed layers does this much detailing usually take? And how do you create such perfect gradients? 

Thank you! I tend to use many layers for my faceups which could cause some issues with certain sealants (ZM UV cut doesn't like that on vinyl..) I lost track of how many I've sprayed, but I believe I used around 8-9 coats.

• Like 2

sardemar
On 9/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, engelinvitro said:

I lost track of where I am on the counter so I reset. I also reformatted all my previous posts to contain just the images since I no longer feel like documenting too much of my process (am lazy n tired these days oops)

---

Cynthia - DD Ruri (Personal Collection)

image0.jpg
image0-1.jpg
IMG-4129-2.jpg

IMG-4219-merge.jpg
IMG-4211-resize.jpg

she is so beautiful! did you do the linework on the eyebrows with watercolor pencil ? or brush? I would love to know what sort of brushes you use! lovely work. Do you also have an instagram? i'd love to follow. 

engelinvitro

Hello!

It's been forever since my last update or my last login to the forums. I swear I'm alright, I just needed an extended break from social media.

I'm back into the swing of things this time around. I sold my very first custom head not too long ago, whom I'm about to present 😊

MDD DDH-01 (Semi-white)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I briefly named him "Goro" after Goro Majima from the Yakuza series. Both are kind of "mad dogs" with a penchant for mischief.

The mouth parts were super fun to make! It was my first time sculpting a 3d mouth and the experience makes me want to redo a lot of my older pieces. I documented every step of this faceup, but I decided against linking them. I already have a lot of photos in this reply. I'll try to provide another faceup walkthrough whenever I decide to post again.

-

I noticed several of my old images have gone kaput. I have no intention of reuploading them so I did some cleanup on this thread. I'm sorry to anyone whose replies still contain broken embeds ^_T

Lastly, here's a sneak peak at my next projects. Maybe you can tell who they are? nishishi

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by engelinvitro
  • Like 5

Milk

Welcome back! You did a very good job on that head. I'd have never guess that that was your first time doing such a mouth mod.

I'm excited to see more face ups from you!

• Like 1

At home: Victoria {DD Beatrice}, DD 2B, DD 9S

Waiting for: TinyFox Murphy