The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Friendlily

How Important is Clothing Storage to You?

Friendlily

It took me a while to decide where to put this, but since I ultimately want to discuss rather than share, I guess I'll plop this here.

I've recently discovered that a good 60% of vinyl doll hobby is waiting for stuff to arrive or go away (I'm looking at you, stains), so in the meantime I put together a little crafts project and glued together some rather frivolous (but cute!) boxes.

dcqC9dB.jpg\

gpZsFqL.jpg

L3if3Zd.jpg

Headless doll because I have a head, but it's complicated.

I've actually always wanted to do this, however. I wanted that kind of dreamy feeling that that my dolls were living in some luxury environment, haha, where everything they could possibly need was at hand, kind of like the service you get at Doll Point Akihabara, but in the comfort of my own home and my dolls are the customers in head. Personally, I'm kind of a juvenile person so this portion of dressing up means a lot to me, but I wonder what it's like for you guys? When you dress up your dolls, do you like to indulge in some sub-conscious (or conscious) role play? Or are you more into efficiency, and browsing through your clothing isn't as big a deal as dressing up and modeling afterwards? Especially if you have lots of clothing, I just saw Billy's collection and good lordy, I'm gonna need boxes for my boxes if I wanna keep this system up.

• Like 10

Things are going to be okay.

RainbowNanaki

Oh, this is adorable!!! I just sort my clothes into small dollar store plastic bins, but sorted by who wears what. Almost all my clothing is super casual, so I don't think fancy boxes like yours would make a lot of sense, but it would be fun to make shoe boxes and a proper jewellery box 🤔

• Like 1

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

baldylox

I absolutely LOVE the way you have your clothing boxed up and presented!  It's just like your doll is at a high end shop and their choices are being shown to them as the fine articles that they are!  It's a wonderful concept and the boxes with bows just add so much to the entire effect of it.  I'm super impressed with this idea and your execution of it!  <3 

As for what I do with mine, I have lots of clothing and lots of girls so to me, it's not a production to be choosing clothing for them.  But I *do* go thru scenarios in my head when getting that days girl ready to change clothing.  I generally ask what she wants to wear for a style or particular outfit and then go from there on colors and shoes and socks.  Sometimes it takes me some time to find something because she can't make up her mind ( which is really ME LOL ) but we always agree on something eventually.  It may not be a big production and all but I always have fun swapping clothing out on my girls and having them sit with me during the evening.

Again, awesome work on your storage setup, it's lovely!  :)

Billy

• Like 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Friendlily
1 hour ago, RainbowNanaki said:

Oh, this is adorable!!! I just sort my clothes into small dollar store plastic bins, but sorted by who wears what. Almost all my clothing is super casual, so I don't think fancy boxes like yours would make a lot of sense, but it would be fun to make shoe boxes and a proper jewellery box 🤔

Jewelry box!!! Oh wow, so far I've just been storing my (one) necklace with the set it comes in, but I didn't realise that once I get more I'm gonna need a quick way to access them to mix and match. And thank you so much for the compliment!

1 hour ago, baldylox said:

As for what I do with mine, I have lots of clothing and lots of girls so to me, it's not a production to be choosing clothing for them.  But I *do* go thru scenarios in my head when getting that days girl ready to change clothing.  I generally ask what she wants to wear for a style or particular outfit and then go from there on colors and shoes and socks.  Sometimes it takes me some time to find something because she can't make up her mind ( which is really ME LOL ) but we always agree on something eventually.  It may not be a big production and all but I always have fun swapping clothing out on my girls and having them sit with me during the evening.

Again, awesome work on your storage setup, it's lovely!

You sound like you're really enjoying yourself! Now I really can't wait for my girl to be finished. She's actually going to have a pretty rowdy and childish personality compared to the headless body she is now so dressing her up will be quite the adventure with my rather luxurious setup (but who knows, maybe she'll calm down for that part). My boy coming in the mail on the other hand will be a lot more fashion receptive, hehe. And thanks a lot for the compliment!

• Like 1

PumpKing

My current method of storage is a bit rudimentary, but it works for me!

I have a large plastic bin, and inside that bin I have labeled zipblock bags for each specific doll/character. 

For clothing that does not belong to a specific character, have it seperated by size and type of clothing
For example: 1/4 scale shirts in one bag, 1/4 dresses, 1/4 bottoms, etc

Most of my collection is 1/4 scale at the moment, maybe when I start collecting dolls in different sizes I'll have to find a new method. :)

• Like 1

Adele

Your clothing storage looks like the cutest little doll boutique! I would never be able to keep that up. I have my clothing collection in one small ikea dresser. There are sub dividers in the dresser by doll, and each outfit is kept in a large ziploc bag with the outfit’s name written on it. My system isn’t nearly as cute as yours, but it gets the job done at least and keeps everything sort of organized. I also tend not to think that hard when I’m dressing a doll, it’s just whatever I’m feeling like that day! 

• Like 1

lardroom

Those boxes are adorable and I'm thinking of doing the same thing for the larger dresses. I store small items such as individual shirts, blouses, skirts, underwear, pants, and stockings that aren't a part of a complete set in an Ikea Moppe mini storage chest, which is an almost perfect scale for dolls to treat as a dresser. I also have a small jewelry/knickknack chest that scales as a large trunk for a doll.

• Like 1

toufufu

This is such a cute idea! I love that it's decorated with little bows. As for me, I have a limited space so all my doll clothing is being stored in a box. I only have two dolls atm that are both yosd so it's not much yet clothes. They can share clothes but I usually just mental note which belongs to who. I like to buy sets so I don't have to think much about coordination, bc if I did, that means i'd have to spend more and be in dilemma forever bc I can't decide which looks best! 

• Like 1

Friendlily
8 hours ago, lardroom said:

Those boxes are adorable and I'm thinking of doing the same thing for the larger dresses. I store small items such as individual shirts, blouses, skirts, underwear, pants, and stockings that aren't a part of a complete set in an Ikea Moppe mini storage chest, which is an almost perfect scale for dolls to treat as a dresser. I also have a small jewelry/knickknack chest that scales as a large trunk for a doll.

Aaahhh, the mini storage chest sounds like such a good idea for photography sets...

Can't wait to see how you decorate your own boxes. I use Mesha 8x5x1 inch boxes. I can squish a good number of articles into them, but my Sweet Lily dress train is so huge and fluffy, I had to store it in a separate box XD. So, if you want to store your panniers or other things made out of tulle in the same box, you might wanna invest in slightly deeper boxes. Or perhaps tie the lid down to keep them from popping off.

4 hours ago, toufufu said:

This is such a cute idea! I love that it's decorated with little bows. As for me, I have a limited space so all my doll clothing is being stored in a box. I only have two dolls atm that are both yosd so it's not much yet clothes. They can share clothes but I usually just mental note which belongs to who. I like to buy sets so I don't have to think much about coordination, bc if I did, that means i'd have to spend more and be in dilemma forever bc I can't decide which looks best! 

I second you on the limited space. Like I said, eventually I'm gonna need boxes for my boxes! Currently, I'm keeping my boxes in a closet drawer with enough room to stack, but eventually that's gonna fill up with fabric because my sister and I both started sewing not too long ago. I'd use the box that my boxes were shipped in if it wasn't holding the boxes I haven't used up yet!

Holy crap—this is unnecessary, but I used to be more of a lurker, and this account is my first time participating in any sort of forum, so this is so frickin' FUN.

• Like 1

HazelMaze

It's a big deal to me! Though currently nothing is the way I would like.I've got several binders that contain outfits/sets in paper protectors, But frankly the system does not work well for anything 1/3. ( Short of socks and accessories, it works wonders for those!)

Otherwise I do like to keep things in the OG packaging as much as possible!

I'd really like to create a true display utilizing their shoes,wigs, and clothing, I have a idea for those Ikea glass cabinets that I think would be perfect.But, I have to add to the chorus of "space!".We are still reworking the upper floor where all of my display potential is, so I have to wait haha.

It's funny you posted this- as I was just thinking I'd like to make shoe boxes for doll shoes! Though for some of the more elaborate outfits, I love your use of boxes as well. I do quite like the 'lux' feeling it brings off- and it gives me a good excuse to break out the label maker!

• Like 1

BeyondTime

I use plastic storage bins, but with a limited number of outfits in each bin so they don’t get ruined by compression. I have the bins labeled with the contents and everything is cross referenced to a database with all the dolls and outfits. I created this system after I got tired of searching through every bin in order to find one item, and it was always in the very last one checked because that’s how life is. 

I also use hardware parts boxes, and jewelry making supply boxes for all the small delicate stuff. 

Lastly I have a set of part boxes that hold a doll’s small default items like panties and hands. If they come off the doll, they go into a cell with her name on it. That way all my limiteds can be reattached to their original bits. Same thing with larger default bits like busts or a unitorso. They go into the replacement part’s product packaging, and it gets labeled with the doll’s name.  

• Like 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Manaphyyy

Most of my girls' clothes are cotton, and on top of that, handmade, so I don't worry a ton about damaging it in storage.... Recently I offloaded the fancy fullsets that came with certain dolls back into their original boxes (I hoard those 😅), but the rest of the clothes are sorted into plastic bags by who they belong to and then put in a box. The wigs are also in a box--but I really need to get a bigger one because it's reaching max capacity. From there, I have a little divided container for eyes and other small parts, then some small gift boxes for extra hands etc.

I'd love to get some cute dressers or coat-rack-type things for storage, but I don't really have the room at the moment. 

Gabihime

I’ve been thinking about how I store the clothing for my girls a lot lately.  I usually keep things in their original packaging if it’s Volks, and then in Ziplock bags for each outfit (or for really complex fullset outfits I will keep similar colored items for the fullset together).  I keep them all in clear plastic storage bins that are labeled, but we also just completed a move, and I know for sure I have another box of option parts and clothes I haven’t unpacked yet, so I might need to consider a new storage option.

Moon-to-Starlight

I am always up for hearing how people store their clothes! It seems like the longer I am in this hobby the more it is a problem (is it possible for clothes to multiply without me knowing? >.> ) 

While I want to build a wardrobe, this year has not been the best year for me completing projects. I love my dolls but real life has wiped me out. I’m trying hard to get back in to doing what I love to do. 

I’m currently keeping most my clothes in a tote but I just purchased an art bin for photographs and it has been amazing! You can put a whole outfit in it and seal it up tight. Easy to find and store. However, I wouldn’t put anything in it that I think could eventually break down around a crease (like pleather and cracking around a crease). I’ll take a picture of a few of the outfits in the bins tonight. 

Veravey

Mega important! So much so, I've been planning some furniture I'll be making from craft wood. My asthma and allergies don't like dust (plus my girls deserve some clean clothing) so having everything stored/covered really helps keep things tidy. 

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

AliensOfGold

I used to dump their clothes in an old Amiami box, but after collecting more I upgraded to a larger Amazon box. The Amiami box was much higher quality.

I always liked the idea of making a foldable case/closet to store all the shoes, clothes, wigs and other accessories but it would end up being too large to store.

DreamDollDesign

Really important! When I first joined the resin hobby 10+ years ago I had everything in sealed baggies in a big storage container. It was too chaotic. Later on I switched to slim mini dolls, and made a binder, card protector and page protector sheets setup which works great. Right now the excess is stored in some pretty white shoe boxes with labels.

The boxes you made are adorable though. I need to find some for selling my clothes. It would be so cute x3

Don't have much for DDs yet but once I can find time to sew them some clothes I'll probably do the same thing for them.

• Like 1

Coco

Would it be possible to see some of these binder setups that were made? I am intrigued. I have a lot of doll clothes that are now just sitting in bins, getting wrinkly. I was considering some nicer bags hung off a dowel, but binders sounds much handier and cheaper.

RikunFrances

Organization is important to me, but I don't own any special sets or anything like that, so all my clothes get put in size-specific Ziploc bags. The only stuff that gets it's own bag is anything pleather, since that tends to "flake" after awhile (and subsequently gets EVERYWHERE). If I had more space, boxes and nicer things would be nice, but as it currently stands the bags are the best option for now. However, the binder setups people are talking about got me curious, so I might look into it!

Sewb

I love your storage idea!

My dolls clothes are is very basic whites boxes under my doll shelf.

It makes me want to make something more luxurious for the now. uwu

Bellatrix

This is just so cute! I have too many clothes, and as I have several mix and match pieces, I cannot physically do anything like this. Also, I have nowhere enough space to allow boxes for the individual sets. I have a pretty big storage box for my DD clothes, though, and a couple of smaller boxes for my other bjd sizes and one for wigs&eyes. A smaller box is dedicated to display the shoes :) I'm still pretty organised, although nowhere are fashionable as you.

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Ageha

I recently went on a huge clothes-buying binge, and as a result my clothing collection immediately outgrew the one box I had been using for so many years. I also recently purchased my first girl dolls, and so I finally went to DAISO and purchased a bunch of storage boxes and containers. I bought two large containers for boy clothes vs girl clothes, then smaller boxes and containers for different things to go in those. It's not perfect, but at least I can find things without digging anymore ^^;; 

Gweneveryn

I'm quite lazy and tend to just put the clothes belonging to my dolls in the bottom part their storage boxes when not in use. They all have their own bags sorted by outfit though. Those boxes are super cute and you're making me reconsider my storage option :') (and that its kinda hard to dig out when I wanna change them).

Geoffryhawk

I have several plastic drawer sets that I store my doll stuff in! :)SD clothes in one drawer, MSD clothes in another, a wig drawer. Makes things very organized for me. As someone who loses my socks if I take them off in a slightly different place. xD

TasiaChiba

I don't have a lot of clothes atm, but what I do, I store in craft scrapbook boxes.  Some clothes are organized into ziplock bags, and then those are placed into the boxes.  I also usually sort my boxes and label them.  These boxes are great not just for clothes, but all sorts of dolly related bits and pieces!

I even use some to store 1/6 dolls not on display, wigs, body parts, and one gets used as a faceup box for heads as I'm working on faceups!

Plus, I love that they stack and are slim enough that I don't have to root through huge bins looking for specific items. ^_^

Edited by TasiaChiba