Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

BeyondTime

Volks SD - Disney Frozen Collaboration.

BeyondTime
34 minutes ago, nabeerain said:

oh I meant I hope I get to see all the dolls before the first one goes for sale if they aren’t released at the same time

That is an interesting question. It might depend on how they plan to sell them, and to which markets. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

nabeerain

Oh looks like we will get a chance at them! VolksUSA just sent a newsletter with a link the Volks international website for the Frozen dolls.

@BeyondTime yes in the past sometimes we get sneaks of other dolls in the series, but not a full look at all of them if they are released one at time (sometimes making it hard to decide which to get if you cannot get them all). Hopefully this time we will see them all because I just don’t know who I will choose! 

BeyondTime
4 minutes ago, nabeerain said:

Oh looks like we will get a chance at them! VolksUSA just sent a newsletter with a link the Volks international website for the Frozen dolls.

It’s a Volks USA website. o.o

https://volksusa.com/event/disney/frozen/

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

nabeerain

Thank you for the correction, that means  we will get a chance!

lardroom

Wow. Well, I'm very much surprised. Not only is there going to be a VolksUSA release, but the sizes are unexpected. Anna will be SD13 and Elsa is SDGr, and I'm assuming both will be DearSD for the chibi versions. Ugh. Time to save up. This is going to be expensive...

To be honest, I would have preferred Anna to be SDGr and Elsa to be a SD16, but maybe the size difference is too much. Elsa isn't significantly taller than Anna.

Edited by lardroom
  • Like 1

monkeypizzasonic

Really happy they're doing a Volks USA release; more chances for people to get one, plus maybe that means they'll be producing more of them as well! I'll probably try for Elsa through the USA site even though I have a JDD reservation, I'm sure they have a backup waiting list or something.

As for the sizes, the other princesses so far have been SDGr so I think they're probably going to stick to that size. Elsa would look too out of place if she was taller than Cindy and Raps.

BeyondTime
49 minutes ago, lardroom said:

To be honest, I would have preferred Anna to be SDGr and Elsa to be a SD16, but maybe the size difference is too much. Elsa isn't significantly taller than Anna.

SDGr is bustier, but they take the same clothing sizes. I don’t have an SD13 to compare with, but there is a chart here.

https://www.superdollfie.net/hajimete/sdtype/

If I am remembering correctly, SD13 have option feet as opposed to option legs and normally come with a flat foot. I think the option heel foot is a different shape than the SDGr heeled leg so heeled shoes aren’t compatible between the two. Not 100% sure of that because I don’t have an SD13. 

SDGr come with high heel legs, and for flat feet it’s a full leg swap that involves cutting the elastic and replacing it. My Belldandy came with the option legs, but I’ve never had the courage to restring her to use them. 

I really really hope this ends up a preorder or I win them through a Volks USA lottery. Volks USA customers will likely have the option hands / feet / legs offered for sale to people who buy the dolls. Unless something has changed, dolls that ship from Japan are likely to come with an order form for option parts that is only good for residents of Japan. 

If Volks USA does do that it’s a huge benefit to US customers because the only other way to get those parts is to buy an FCS doll or win another limited doll in a US lottery. They don’t sell them the way they do DD option parts. 

16 minutes ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

Elsa would look too out of place if she was taller than Cindy and Raps.

Elsa is bigger than Cinderella and Rapunzel.@onion9@

monkeypizzasonic

Interesting. I've never really cared about heel feet before, but I'll probably leave them on if it means sparkly ice shoes.

Also, re: option parts; weren't the other two Disney releases in a unique resin color? If these follow suit that means even FCS might not get you the right parts if you're fussy about that sort of thing...

Also also, how much chubbier are Dear SDs next to MSD and SDC? Curious why they went with that size.

BeyondTime
23 minutes ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

Also, re: option parts; weren't the other two Disney releases in a unique resin color?

You’re right.

Cinderella was - Pure Skin Alabaster - which they describe as a new skin color. 

Rapunzel is - Pure Skin Pinkish Fair - which is also described as a new skin color. 

IIRC Pure Skin is a reference to a type of resin with resists yellowing. They will still yellow but it takes longer. 

23 minutes ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

Also also, how much chubbier are Dear SDs next to MSD and SDC? Curious why they went with that size.

Dunno about a comparison, but Dear SD are described as well rounded and genderless. I could see the genderless part as being required by Disney for the young Elsa & Anna. 

• Like 1

Monty

DearSD are very different to SDM (what MSD is now, which is also different to SDCute), SDM kinda look like kids (maybe 8-10 years old?) whereas DSD look like toddlers. They’re extremely chunky, so much that they don’t fit into the sdm sized clothing. They can wear SD size dresses though (they will just obviously look a lot longer on them). Alot of other BJD brands call this size of doll ‘big baby’.
I think Volks chose DSD because the toddler look is closer to how they looked in the movie as children, but also because it has some aesthetic similarities to those baby-looking Disney dolls that already exist.

• Like 1

Mizuumi-no-Otome

Yeah, DSD is a lot larger than SDM or MSD, the heads are SD heads and the bodies are very chunky and baby-esque in order to emulate the aesthetic of vintage Bisque-Composition dolls. 

I expect that the Frozen DSDs are going to look quite odd next to the other DSD releases, solely because they're probably going to look more like children while the other DSDs look more like...well, adult heads on chubby short baby bodies lol. 

I do look forward to seeing both versions of the dolls as Volks resins are my favorite resins, and I love the DSD concept and aesthetic (even though I have no interest in Frozen- Elsa's mullet was enough to deter me when the first movie came out lol)

I have a feeling the Disney collectors are going to go absolutely bonkers; I casually collect Disney LE dolls (mostly just Ariel) and they are, to this day, the most cutthroat of the doll communities I've interacted with lol

Edited by Serena-Hime

Ren

Don't remember last time I was so excited for a Volks release, this is great! SD13 is quite surprising as they haven't done one for a very long time. 

marishade
5 hours ago, Serena-Hime said:

I have a feeling the Disney collectors are going to go absolutely bonkers; I casually collect Disney LE dolls (mostly just Ariel) and they are, to this day, the most cutthroat of the doll communities I've interacted with lol

I actually have not thought about this until you mentioned it. . . . But I collect basically every kind of doll (toys to cloth, porcelain to vinyl, and most in between). . . While I do not consider any to be 'cutthroat', Disney doll or item collectors are extremely picky compared to collectors that stick to other specific doll types. They are very specific about what they want and will not settle for anything less. When interacting with them at the Disney stores they are pleasant, but will literally start waiting at 3am outside the Mall for a doll release they want. I actually wonder if most of them will have a real interest. . . Many of that community complains just about the $120 price of the LE dolls, $120 to $1000 is a big jump, especially if someone does not know what a resin bjd (specifically Volks resin because they have a premium price compared to almost every other resin company) is.

Ren

The previous princesses were also sold at the Disney store right? I wonder how the sales were like (although those were probably also bought by bjd collectors).

MoonyKat

From what I personally saw, the only people that seemed to care about the previous two Disney Super Dollfies were people who already collected BJDs.  Then again all the Disney super fans I know are super casual about collecting and only focus on stuff you can easily get in the US.  I don’t really hang out in spaces where hardcore Disney collectors do so my experience could be wrong.

However, considering Elsa and Anna’s popularity I wouldn’t be surprised if the hype around their release is a LOT bigger in terms of people outside BJD spaces.  I already have non doll friends who are interested in them so I’m really hoping Volks does a preorder with them rather than a lottery for their sake.

• Like 1

BeyondTime
9 hours ago, marishade said:

Disney doll or item collectors are extremely picky compared to collectors that stick to other specific doll types.

If they other Disney releases are any indication, these are likely to be Elsa & Anna in SD style as opposed to resin sculpts of Elsa and Anna’s heads. I think they will be good renditions, but may not be something Frozen fans who aren’t into bjds are into. 

Maybe they will surprise us and really sculpt their heads true to life so to speak. If they did, I doubt any other Frozen doll would be as accurate.

Based on the drawing they used, Elsa might be done as a romantic glance version.

Edit: I just realized that you can seen the shape of Anna’s face in the image that shows the white streak in her hair. I think they may have gone for the true to life look after all. O.O

Elia
5 hours ago, Ren said:

The previous princesses were also sold at the Disney store right? I wonder how the sales were like (although those were probably also bought by bjd collectors).

They were but only in Japan so it was probably a lot different to LE dolls releases in USA and Europe (I'm assuming). I wonder too.

6 hours ago, marishade said:

I actually have not thought about this until you mentioned it. . . . But I collect basically every kind of doll (toys to cloth, porcelain to vinyl, and most in between). . . While I do not consider any to be 'cutthroat', Disney doll or item collectors are extremely picky compared to collectors that stick to other specific doll types. They are very specific about what they want and will not settle for anything less. When interacting with them at the Disney stores they are pleasant, but will literally start waiting at 3am outside the Mall for a doll release they want. I actually wonder if most of them will have a real interest. . . Many of that community complains just about the $120 price of the LE dolls, $120 to $1000 is a big jump, especially if someone does not know what a resin bjd (specifically Volks resin because they have a premium price compared to almost every other resin company) is.

I've seen a bunch of complaints in Disney doll community about the prices of Rapunzel/Cinderella and about the aesthetics. So I don't know how many collectors will actually go for these, there isn't any hype compared to Disney Store LE release. You're correct about price being a factor too, it's a shock to many who don't know about BJD.

Edited by Elia
  • Like 1

demonmiko

I can't recall what sort of timeline we had between Rapunzel and Cinderella being teased, to photos, to an actual release date with prices. Could someone help me out?

It feels like expectations may be really high for Frozen. It may just be because Frozen is my favorite, but I'm kind of expecting a lot from the sculpts. The other two Disney princesses have not really met my personal expectations the way I thought it would've when Volks announced a Disney collaboration. I'm trying to curb my expectations, with seeing what we have so far. I'm sure that the outfits will be gorgeous regardless though.

What I'm hoping for is a staggered release so that it's not 4 all at once and chaos.

• Like 1

Misuka

Hmm, there was almost a month or two of waiting, if memory serves, but it was also in the middle of covid as well.

Monty
14 hours ago, demonmiko said:

I can't recall what sort of timeline we had between Rapunzel and Cinderella being teased, to photos, to an actual release date with prices. Could someone help me out?

Volks unveiled the Disney Princess project itself on September 8 last year. Nobody knew what the doll would actually be until 2 months later, November 8th, when they revealed the first one was Rapunzel - unveiling the existence of the doll and an image of her at the same time. Then, at Dolpa in December, an image of Cinderella was shown with the message that she would have a release in summer 2020. Again, both the identity of the doll and the image were revealed at the same time. Rapunzel details were announced almost immediately whereas there was a wait for Cinderella because she was shown so early. 
Frozen has been completely different with things revealed like this, with the franchise/characters announced before any images or details other than ‘winter’. But then again, Elsa and Anna aren’t part of the Princess line anyway, so I wouldn’t expect it to follow the same pattern. Well, other than the fact that it doesn’t look like these two will actually be sold at Dolpa, anyway.

There will probably be a display at Dolpa. Who knows if they’ll show them at all before then, though. (And what will happen if this Dolpa is cancelled as well...)

Edited by Monty
  • Like 1

demonmiko
8 hours ago, Monty said:

Volks unveiled the Disney Princess project itself on September 8 last year. Nobody knew what the doll would actually be until 2 months later, November 8th, when they revealed the first one was Rapunzel - unveiling the existence of the doll and an image of her at the same time. Then, at Dolpa in December, an image of Cinderella was shown with the message that she would have a release in summer 2020. Again, both the identity of the doll and the image were revealed at the same time. Rapunzel details were announced almost immediately whereas there was a wait for Cinderella because she was shown so early. 
Frozen has been completely different with things revealed like this, with the franchise/characters announced before any images or details other than ‘winter’. But then again, Elsa and Anna aren’t part of the Princess line anyway, so I wouldn’t expect it to follow the same pattern. Well, other than the fact that it doesn’t look like these two will actually be sold at Dolpa, anyway.

There will probably be a display at Dolpa. Who knows if they’ll show them at all before then, though. (And what will happen if this Dolpa is cancelled as well...)

It'll be interesting to see! I can't contain my excitement.

Now, I really wonder how they're doing the DearSD. Typically they use the full size SD heads, but will they really use the same heads between the DSD and SD13/SDGR here?

monkeypizzasonic
1 minute ago, demonmiko said:

It'll be interesting to see! I can't contain my excitement.

Now, I really wonder how they're doing the DearSD. Typically they use the full size SD heads, but will they really use the same heads between the DSD and SD13/SDGR here?

I imagine they'll be different sculpts, since the Dear SD are supposed to be the younger versions.

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

since the Dear SD are supposed to be the younger versions.

And the younger versions are definitely a bit chubbier in the cheeks. 

monkeypizzasonic

For reveal dates: Frozen debuted on Nov 19th and came out in theaters everywhere on the 22nd, so I'm thinking maybe one of those days?

• Like 1

monkeypizzasonic

Okay, so I might have gotten a bit obsessive over trying to figure out if I'll like Elsa's sculpt or not so I ended up scouring through my files of Elsa screenshots and comparing them to the two Dollfie Princesses we've gotten so far, and then I started comparing the SD to the usual limited edition designer dolls Disney makes, and I made an interesting discovery that might pertain to future releases. Maybe. Sort of. 

SD Rapunzel has a closed mouth sculpt, while Cindy has a slightly open mouth. This actually applies to the Disney dolls as well: Rapunzel dolls usually have closed mouths, while Cindy's have open ones. If this is an actual pattern/design choice Disney asked Volks to go with, then other open mouth sculpts would possibly be Ariel, Belle, Aurora and Snow White; and Jasmine, Elsa, Anna, Mulan and Tiana would have closed mouths.

...Volks please release pics already I'm losing it over here.😑

dissssss.png

• Like 4