Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

whitewhale

How do you style long wigs?

whitewhale

I just got this wig out of the box and it's looking like a mess. I haven't dealt with long hairstyles on dolls before. Anyone got tips?

spacer.png

OccultBeast

That wig definitely needs a good comb through!  Put it on your doll or on a stand if possible, it'll make this easier.  Then start at the ends and gently comb through a little bit at a time, working your way up.  Once you've got all the tangles out and the strands look smoother, you can use a little water to further smooth everything out.  What I find works best for me though is just smoothing the wig out multiple times with my hands, no water needed.  I only use water wax or wig mist on front bang sections, personally, as it can really weigh down curls and make them look crispy or greasy.

For long wigs with curls at the bottom, I try to section out each 'curl' and will run them each through my hands multiple times, twisting or curling the section at the end to encourage the curl and smooth it out.  I find this is the easiest way to get the curls smooth, but these are definitely a little harder to manage sometimes because of that bottom curl.  Sometimes I'll get one or two strands that pull away from the rest of the hair towards the top in like a little bump almost, and I'll pull those away from the section completely before smoothing them back in again.  You'll definitely need a little patience to get everything perfectly smooth, though!  Just keep running sections through your hands and twisting/curling with your fingers as you go.  You want to 'place' the hair in the correct position; it will never lay smooth on its own, and you've got to learn to position it just how you want it.

Best of luck styling it!  It's a really beautiful ombre!

• Like 3

moerunamida

I'll be completely honest: I'm so lazy that I try to avoid curled wigs, because of the work it takes to maintain them. Waves ok, but curls and super long hair are the devil. I usually end up straightening them. OccultBeast gave great advice. Start from the bottom and comb up each individual curl. For bangs or even help to hold the curls, I really like Volks's water hair wax. It's a gorgeous wig though, lovely colors!

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

whitewhale
9 hours ago, OccultBeast said:

That wig definitely needs a good comb through!  Put it on your doll or on a stand if possible, it'll make this easier.  Then start at the ends and gently comb through a little bit at a time, working your way up.  Once you've got all the tangles out and the strands look smoother, you can use a little water to further smooth everything out.  What I find works best for me though is just smoothing the wig out multiple times with my hands, no water needed.  I only use water wax or wig mist on front bang sections, personally, as it can really weigh down curls and make them look crispy or greasy.

For long wigs with curls at the bottom, I try to section out each 'curl' and will run them each through my hands multiple times, twisting or curling the section at the end to encourage the curl and smooth it out.  I find this is the easiest way to get the curls smooth, but these are definitely a little harder to manage sometimes because of that bottom curl.  Sometimes I'll get one or two strands that pull away from the rest of the hair towards the top in like a little bump almost, and I'll pull those away from the section completely before smoothing them back in again.  You'll definitely need a little patience to get everything perfectly smooth, though!  Just keep running sections through your hands and twisting/curling with your fingers as you go.  You want to 'place' the hair in the correct position; it will never lay smooth on its own, and you've got to learn to position it just how you want it.

Best of luck styling it!  It's a really beautiful ombre!

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like it'll take more time than I expected.

3 hours ago, Deyja said:

I'll be completely honest: I'm so lazy that I try to avoid curled wigs, because of the work it takes to maintain them. Waves ok, but curls and super long hair are the devil. I usually end up straightening them. OccultBeast gave great advice. Start from the bottom and comb up each individual curl. For bangs or even help to hold the curls, I really like Volks's water hair wax. It's a gorgeous wig though, lovely colors!

Yeah, I now see why curls can be troublesome. I'm slightly regretting the purchase since I'm busy also lazy, but the display pictures looked so nice!

MadQueenHarmony

I'm with Deyja, I generally avoid curled wigs if I like the exact look and would want it to stay that way, because it's a lot of work and I'm lazy. 😆 But if you don't mind it being more of a "natural" frothy-curl look (like all my curled wigs end up being), you could just brush it. 

One tip that someone gave me that I found to be very valuable - do not use a plastic or nylon bristle brush, ever - even for just a touchup.  The plastic/nylon can cause static or catch and cause fly-aways.  Always use a wire brush.  The one I have is THIS one, but you can find them cheaper.  I have one just like this that I picked up on Wish for something like $3 including shipping.

Yesterday's today's tomorrow