The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

4omenaa

I don't know what I should get as my first doll anymore!!

4omenaa

At first I was so sure I'd be buying a DD Miku ass my first DD, as Hatsune Miku is such a huge comfort character for me, and the doll itself is so beautiful. I've been hyperfixating on this doll and getting it since around the end of December, but now, I really don't know anymore.... I really love the look of the smaller MDDs, and the custom heads I keep seeing on Yahoo Japan Auctions are just so irresistibly cute! This is a bit of a dilemma for me.. Do I go for the doll of a character I know and love, or do I go for a cute custom doll in a size I am more comfortable in? I really like the size of the MDDs, as I'm not really used to the size of the 1/3 scale dolls. It's taking a lot of self-control not to snatch up a random cute doll and just keep saving up money when I'm so damn prone to impulse buying :lol:

• Like 2

Orenjiina

I understand how you feel. I love some of the 1/3 sized dolls but I’m so much more comfortable with the MDD size. What you could do is get a MDD and customize her to look like Miku. That way you can make her your own.

• Like 1

4omenaa
7 minutes ago, Orenjiina said:

I understand how you feel. I love some of the 1/3 sized dolls but I’m so much more comfortable with the MDD size. What you could do is get a MDD and customize her to look like Miku. That way you can make her your own.

the thing is I don't really want to make my own MDD Miku, even though technically it would combine the two options but honestly I just don't like the idea... for me it's either the Miku by Volks or no Miku lol

• Like 3

DesertPhantom51

I went back and forth on my first doll choice too, it's normal, it's a big step and you should consider all your options. Personally, I love my custom dolls as it's fun for me to know that there are no other dolls out there that are like mine. I get to think about how to pose and dress them for their own unique personalities that I've built up for them instead of having an established one (despite one of mine being based on an already established character... I do what I want!).  That being said, there's nothing wrong with having a character you love too!  Miku is a lovely doll and I love seeing pictures of her around.  It was actually a picture of her that got me re-interested in dolls a few years ago.  Don't let the scale put you off either.  There's a lot of options for both scales for clothes and accessories, and it's really only a difference of a few inches.  

Whichever you choose just don't forget to share pictures of her with us when you get her! 

• Like 1

Orenjiina
43 minutes ago, 4omenaa said:

the thing is I don't really want to make my own MDD Miku, even though technically it would combine the two options but honestly I just don't like the idea... for me it's either the Miku by Volks or no Miku lol

Totally understandable!! I’m a bit biased and will tell you I love my MDDs. I love looking through YAJ at all the cute MDD clothes too. :)

Testament

Do not impulse buy. That's the only thing I can suggest.

• Like 5

banner%2Bb%2Band%2Bm%2B1200%2Bpx%2Bcon%2

moerunamida

Speaking as someone who passed up the chance to get a doll multiple times in favor of another, I'd say go with your gut. If Miku was your first love, then I'd go for Miku. I lost the chance to get the doll I wanted to originally (started with Smart Dolls and the girl I loved first wad discontinued). There is a certain charm to MDD, but I like the 1/3 bodies better for their poseability. If you get Miku and find that you are drawn to the smaller MDD, then you can always sell her and she'd sell rather easy since she is a very popular girl. I agree with Testament though; do not impulse buy! That is something you will more than likely regret.

• Like 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

4omenaa

Thank you all for the advice, I'll probably go with my original plan of Miku. Miku is a doll I've honestly been wanting for years, but never fully considered getting her until this year, and even though she is technically an already established character, as Vocaloids don't have set personalities I feel pretty free to style her the way I want! I know that I will love Miku, but that I'd also love a MDD girlie, but maybe I'll look into that more after Miku haha

• Like 3

Misuka

If you've been wanting her for years, then go for her. She also doesn't lose much value on aftermarket so if for some reason something goes wrong, you can find her a new home easily. I know taking the plunge for the first time on such a large financial purchase is difficult, but I think you'll be very happy with her considering what you have expressed.

• Like 1

Mega Negi

I love me some Miku, but I just want to say that she is extremely high maintenance. Still, I doubt I would have ever bought a BJD of any type if it hadn't been for Volks making Miku in the first place. I can totally hear your words echoing in my memory. 

• Like 1

That_Dollfie_Dude

Why is Miku extremely high maintenance?  I'm thinking about getting Snow Miku's REBOOT.  I think she's such a cutie!

Tira
3 hours ago, Prowess_dollie said:

Why is Miku extremely high maintenance?  I'm thinking about getting Snow Miku's REBOOT.  I think she's such a cutie!

The wig specifically is the biggest issue. It's hard to get it on or off without messing up the pigtails, and you'll basically have to take them off if you want to change her clothes.  Even if it stays on all the time, the tails are so long they get disheveled pretty easily, so it takes a lot of brushing to keep them looking nice.

What my boyfriend did for his Miku is get alternate wigs in the same color that aren't as fussy for her to wear most of the time.  You can always put the original one back on if you want to for pictures.

• Like 2

OccultBeast
1 hour ago, Tira said:

The wig specifically is the biggest issue. It's hard to get it on or off without messing up the pigtails, and you'll basically have to take them off if you want to change her clothes.  Even if it stays on all the time, the tails are so long they get disheveled pretty easily, so it takes a lot of brushing to keep them looking nice.

This is true, her wig is the biggest issue, just because the tails are so long.  It's impossible to keep them perfectly neat unless you never move her.

If you want to change clothes, I personally find it's easier to just remove the entire head, with the wig on, and replace it when you're done, while being careful of course to not crush the wig in the process.  A comb, a toothbrush, and water are going to be your best friend.  Also, have patience and accept that her wig will never be 100% perfect.  Try to find the beauty in a little bit of imperfection.  You can use a bit of Water Wax to keep the bangs in place, and her headphones also help for the side bangs.  You don't want to put product in her pigtails themselves; they'll turn out either crunchy or greasy, and still won't look nice.  A bit of water and smoothing with your hands is all you should need.

Alternate wigs are a great choice for Miku, though!  You can get all different styles in her exact colour and change up her look without worrying about ruining a $110 wig.

Edited by OccultBeast
Grammar
  • Like 1

moerunamida

Agree with what has been said about Miku's wig. I got her short wigs in blue, green, and pink so she can still be Miku without the p.i.t.a hair.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Chisai

I really wanted Miku too!! She's also one of my comfort characters, I adore her!!

She's so cute, but the look of the customized heads appeals to me more than the official doll.

I ended up getting a blank head, and Miku's wig on the Volks website to make a custom Miku so she feels more personal to me!!

• Like 1

Mega Negi
50 minutes ago, Chisai said:

I really wanted Miku too!! She's also one of my comfort characters, I adore her!!

She's so cute, but the look of the customized heads appeals to me more than the official doll.

I ended up getting a blank head, and Miku's wig on the Volks website to make a custom Miku so she feels more personal to me!!

I have been toying with trying get custom heads to copy the looks of various MMD Mikus for a while now.

Chisai
55 minutes ago, Mega Negi said:

I have been toying with trying get custom heads to copy the looks of various MMD Mikus for a while now.

I really like the Wah Wah World art and I'm gonna be making my Miku look like her!!