Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

miraclelovely

1/1 Papermoon Chii

miraclelovely

so... this is kind of a really wild story, LOL. ages ago, when i joined mfc for the first time i saw this HUGE 1/1 scale doll of Chii from Chobits, and my first thought was "i bet nobody on this entire site will ever own that" because... well, you know. so i didn't even bother adding it to my wishlist or seeking it out. i'll skip all the details and just get to the point- someone joined the site recently, claiming they owned it and said they're selling it. and now i have a 1/1 scale Chii doll... LOOOOL. i just figured it'd be really neat to share since i don't see anything about papermoon dolls in general online and while i was interested in the Chii, i tried to do some digging and couldn't find much AT ALL- not even photos showing the joints and stuff. i plan to update this thread with some more information about papermoon dolls and the joints and their range if anybody would be interested in it... but for now, here are just a few goofy pictures i took of Chii today (since she just arrived) her stand has yet to be shipped out because i didn't want to risk breaking her (it's heavy and steel... and she did take damage on her neck/chest area from the shipping- but the seller did a fantastic job wrapping her up safely, i genuinely don't know how it happened) so for a while, she'll just be chilling cuz i can't figure out the balance on this thing just yet. also, i attached a photo of her will my dollfie and one of my azones for scale... anyways, i hope you guys think this is as neat as i do cuz i know she is kinda creepy (LMFAO sorry) but it was just waaaay too interesting of an opportunity to pass up. it's just so fascinating and i really wanted more information on how these things work. also! that isn't the clothing she came wearing, my sister just put her in her old halloween costume for the jokes LOL

chiidoll1.jpg

chiidoll3.jpg

chiidoll2.jpg

• Like 17

baldylox

Wow.  I've never seen or heard of this doll before!  PLEASE take lots of pics of her up close for us!  I'm very interested in how she's put together and how her joints and things are setup.  What is she made of?  How heavy is she?  Does she have a stand?  Are you getting her outfit from the show or anything else clothing wise from it?

WE MUST KNOOOWWWWWW.....

Billy

• Like 4

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

OccultBeast

Oh my gosh, I SAW ieatglass put her up for sale recently on Reddit & MFC (assuming this is the same exact one) and I was so surprised because there aren't many of these 1/1 scale dolls out there, especially the posable versions, so it's really amazing to me that someone on this forum ended up with her!  There are hardly any good photos of them online at all, so I do hope you'll post in depth photos once you have her stand.  Did she come with the maid outfit she's shown with on the MFC page?  Definitely excited to learn more about this!  Thank you SO much for sharing her here!!

• Like 2

miraclelovely
48 minutes ago, baldylox said:

Wow.  I've never seen or heard of this doll before!  PLEASE take lots of pics of her up close for us!  I'm very interested in how she's put together and how her joints and things are setup.  What is she made of?  How heavy is she?  Does she have a stand?  Are you getting her outfit from the show or anything else clothing wise from it?

WE MUST KNOOOWWWWWW.....

Billy

i don't see much at all about the Paper Moon dolls in general- but i'm so glad you're interested! i was super curious myself about how she's put together and the way the joints work. honestly, as for what she's made of... i still dont know. the hands are rubbery and the fingers are completely posable, but the rest of her body... if i was to compare it to anything, reminds me of the material a school desk is made with, but a bit more plastic-ish. she's not too heavy, shockingly enough. she weighs around 25 lbs so the shipping wasn't nearly as bad as i had anticipated. she does have a stand but seller informed me that it was 50+lbs of pure steel so i asked for it to be shipped separately, so it'll be a bit of time before i get the stand in. she did come with an outfit that looks like her brown dress from the anime (but it's in black instead) and a purple maid dress. i do plan to put her in something else though, hopefully i can find a decent cosplay of her own clothes from the show that i can buy for her LOL. the great thing about it is that she just wears people clothing, so i don't have to look hard. she also wears a wig and im not sure if that means she can just wear any other wig. 

51 minutes ago, kranberrijam said:

This isn't creepy at all, I think this is fantastic!!!

awesome! i'm glad you think so too ^^ it's super interesting, and now the rest of my dolls feel tiny LOL.

19 minutes ago, OccultBeast said:

Oh my gosh, I SAW ieatglass put her up for sale recently on Reddit & MFC (assuming this is the same exact one) and I was so surprised because there aren't many of these 1/1 scale dolls out there, especially the posable versions, so it's really amazing to me that someone on this forum ended up with her!  There are hardly any good photos of them online at all, so I do hope you'll post in depth photos once you have her stand.  Did she come with the maid outfit she's shown with on the MFC page?  Definitely excited to learn more about this!  Thank you SO much for sharing her here!!

yes, that's the same exact chii! there's a really in-depth and wild story behind this chii and i honestly couldn't believe it was legitimate- i mean... if you've seen the MFC chii, you've seen the original price tag versus the resale price so i really thought i was gonna get scammed or something. she didn't come with the maid outfit she's shown with, unfortunately but i knew that prior to buying her. ieatglass bought her secondhand and she didn't have it then either. her wig also isn't floor length so i'm assuming she's been through a few people and with over a decade of existing, she's bound to be a bit different from when she was first made. still though, i hope i can find an outfit similar to the original one for her- and the wig not being floor length is feeling like more of a blessing if anything. that thing tangles like nobody's business. 

all in all though, i absolutely can't wait to start adding more information about the 1/1 scale dolls and hopefully show a bit of chii's restoration process. 

• Like 5

Misuka

Oh wow I remember her from DoA years ago. I wondered how she was doing, glad to see she's still around!

Edited by Misuka
  • Like 1

Mothiraffe

Dude you're living the dream, this is amazing. Congratulations on your new doll!! Is she based on an Obitsu 150cm body, or do Paper Moon have their own system of manufacturing these absolutely massive dolls? I can't get over how cool this is!

• Like 1

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

OccultBeast
1 hour ago, miraclelovely said:

yes, that's the same exact chii! there's a really in-depth and wild story behind this chii and i honestly couldn't believe it was legitimate- i mean... if you've seen the MFC chii, you've seen the original price tag versus the resale price so i really thought i was gonna get scammed or something. she didn't come with the maid outfit she's shown with, unfortunately but i knew that prior to buying her. ieatglass bought her secondhand and she didn't have it then either. her wig also isn't floor length so i'm assuming she's been through a few people and with over a decade of existing, she's bound to be a bit different from when she was first made. still though, i hope i can find an outfit similar to the original one for her- and the wig not being floor length is feeling like more of a blessing if anything. that thing tangles like nobody's business. 

Wow, it really is a small world sometimes, huh!  I also couldn't believe the price, but considering she was missing the original outfit, the wig was cut/altered, and there may have been existing damage, I guess it's not too surprising.  They also probably just really wanted to get rid of it for one reason or another.

I would assume that, just like she can wear human clothing, normal human wigs should fit her just fine, too.  You could measure her head to compare against yours; if it's close then it should be fine to get other wigs for her!  There are plenty of cosplay wigs for Chii, and tons of cosplay costumes, too, since she's one of like, the OG anime girls for cosplaying, it feels like.  But I agree, having floor length hair on her all the time would be an absolute nightmare to deal with!  For clothing, you could always just keep her in an oversized tee, really, like Hideki puts her in originally, though her outfits are generally so elaborate and beautiful, it'd be a shame not to have at least one for display.  A funny thing I happened to come across before: this costume is actually modeled on the Paper Moon 1/1 Chii!  They seem to have her blue maid outfit, too.

Definitely looking forward to any restoration or alteration work you do on her, so I hope you'll keep us all posted!  And I know we all want to know how her joints work 😂

• Like 2

miraclelovely
10 minutes ago, Misuka said:

Oh wow I remember her from DoA years ago. I wondered how she was doing, glad to see she's still around!

ohhh was there one from DoA? i never had an account so i can't see the posts there! i'm not sure if she's the same one from then, because the previous owner didn't know about the site at all i think.

8 minutes ago, Mothiraffe said:

Dude you're living the dream, this is amazing. Congratulations on your new doll!! Is she based on an Obitsu 150cm body, or do Paper Moon have their own system of manufacturing these absolutely massive dolls? I can't get over how cool this is!

it truly is so surreal! LOL but thank you so much. she isn't on an Obitsu 150cm body, Paper Moon has their own original bodies ^^ it's super super neat and i'll post pics of it soon.

9 minutes ago, OccultBeast said:

Wow, it really is a small world sometimes, huh!  I also couldn't believe the price, but considering she was missing the original outfit, the wig was cut/altered, and there may have been existing damage, I guess it's not too surprising.  They also probably just really wanted to get rid of it for one reason or another.

I would assume that, just like she can wear human clothing, normal human wigs should fit her just fine, too.  You could measure her head to compare against yours; if it's close then it should be fine to get other wigs for her!  There are plenty of cosplay wigs for Chii, and tons of cosplay costumes, too, since she's one of like, the OG anime girls for cosplaying, it feels like.  But I agree, having floor length hair on her all the time would be an absolute nightmare to deal with!  For clothing, you could always just keep her in an oversized tee, really, like Hideki puts her in originally, though her outfits are generally so elaborate and beautiful, it'd be a shame not to have at least one for display.  A funny thing I happened to come across before: this costume is actually modeled on the Paper Moon 1/1 Chii!  They seem to have her blue maid outfit, too.

Definitely looking forward to any restoration or alteration work you do on her, so I hope you'll keep us all posted!  And I know we all want to know how her joints work 😂

for sure! i didn't know if anyone from this forum had seen that she was for sale or not LOL. i still can't believe the drop in the price though... even with the alterations to the wig and the fact that the outfit was missing, it still feels like it's crazy. but yeah, seller just didn't want her anymore. the body isn't too damaged either, it's just got some marks (except for what the post has now done T_T) and once she's restored i'm sure it'll be unnoticeable. and you're right! thank goodness for Chii being so iconic, because it's really easy to find stuff LOL. the wig she's wearing velcros onto her head so i think i'd need to modify if i was to buy one for her. also an oversized tee is such a good idea but i also wanna get the more intricate outfits she wears at some point down the line. and by the way, that is the exact outfit she originally came with! thank you SO much for sending me the link, i was actually looking for it! i'm totally going to invest and get it for her- again, thank you SO much seriously. i hope i can get her looking as close to she originally did. i might even try and just make extensions for her hair to make it easier to maintain the floor-length ness and give it a bit more volume.

• Like 1

OccultBeast
40 minutes ago, miraclelovely said:

for sure! i didn't know if anyone from this forum had seen that she was for sale or not LOL. i still can't believe the drop in the price though... even with the alterations to the wig and the fact that the outfit was missing, it still feels like it's crazy. but yeah, seller just didn't want her anymore. the body isn't too damaged either, it's just got some marks (except for what the post has now done T_T) and once she's restored i'm sure it'll be unnoticeable. and you're right! thank goodness for Chii being so iconic, because it's really easy to find stuff LOL. the wig she's wearing velcros onto her head so i think i'd need to modify if i was to buy one for her. also an oversized tee is such a good idea but i also wanna get the more intricate outfits she wears at some point down the line. and by the way, that is the exact outfit she originally came with! thank you SO much for sending me the link, i was actually looking for it! i'm totally going to invest and get it for her- again, thank you SO much seriously. i hope i can get her looking as close to she originally did. i might even try and just make extensions for her hair to make it easier to maintain the floor-length ness and give it a bit more volume.

You could totally attach velcro to the inside of a normal wig if that's all that's used to keep it secured to her head, then; either sewing some in or just gluing it to the inside of the wig cap.  Assuming the wig is the right size, of course~  I think your idea for extensions could work great too, if you didn't want to go for a full wig swap.  I know her long hair is Iconic™ but I'm sure she'd also be really cute with a little blond bob for ease of just existing with her.

And oh my gosh, how lucky!  I actually just happened to spot it during a quick Google Image search for Chii's outfits because I was trying to remember if the one I was thinking of was real or not (it's only been, oh, about 15 years since I read the manga/watched the anime lmao), and I thought it looked like the Paper Moon Chii!  So I'm glad I just happened to stumble upon it, then!

• Like 1

Anna-neko

OMG!!! i remember bazillion years ago PaperMoon's site having a few anime characters as 1:1 scale dolls!
and we used to joke how someone should just buy the Chii so we could take apart her outfit & ears for cosplaying purposes

We absolutely must have ALL of the details and shenanigans and adventures of this girl!!

• Like 1

Misuka
46 minutes ago, miraclelovely said:

ohhh was there one from DoA? i never had an account so i can't see the posts there! i'm not sure if she's the same one from then, because the previous owner didn't know about the site at all i think.

Ahh, I figured it was her since there are so few of those around. A few years after DoA started - uh, I guess around 06-08 (at least, a long time ago, oof) someone bought a Chii and posted her for a bit before DoA decided to define what they were going to focus on (and it was needed at the time, it was becoming a huge forum too fast)

She was easy to remember because of what a presence a giant Chii has! either way, it's great you have one and I hope you enjoy her. She's really something.

• Like 2

finnleo
8 hours ago, miraclelovely said:

you've seen the original price tag versus the resale price so i really thought i was gonna get scammed or something.

Depreciation is a peculiar thing. I recall first looking at the papermoon site when I was rocking a GPRS mobile connection for internets, so that was quite some time ago.

The thing is its one thing to ask a certain ammount of money for a niché product when its new, and a totally differnt thing to try and get the same money later down the road when there are more ... colorful options in the near 1/1 scale for a fraction of the original cost so if someone just want to get rid of it, they probably would need to price it accordingly.

If I recall correct they made these pretty much to order, so the initial purchase cost probably reflected the near one-off nature of them.

But its still a neat collectable in a oddware type of way if you have the room for one.

• Like 1

Tasuke

i would have loved to own one of these when i first found out about them like fifteen years ago!! Congrats!!!

Chii_PAPERMOON_1-1_scale_doll_2021_(3).j

Chii_PAPERMOON_1-1_scale_doll_2021_(4).j

Chii_PAPERMOON_1-1_scale_doll_2021_(2).j

Chii_PAPERMOON_1-1_scale_doll_2021_(1).j

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 3

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

yumyumsalad

WOW congratulations!!! This Chii is super rare, I'm so glad to know someone on this forum has her!! ♥️

• Like 1

Manaphyyy

Wow! Congrats on her (pretty much) safe arrival.

Full-scale dolls like this are so fascinating to me--until I saw this post, I only knew of some large resin dolls like Dollmore's Lusion and Trinity lines, and also Magical Angel Iris.

Looking forward to more updates as you learn more about her!

• Like 1

sunlightandtea

Woah, this is super cool. Definitely looking forward to more pics and more information about your experience with her!

• Like 1

Ageha

Congrats! I also remember her from DoA! Gosh that was ages ago....but I always remembered her (and her original price tag @_@) and really did wonder what happened to her in the end. Last I saw, the original owner had put her up for sale. I'm also very curious how she "works" and am interested in seeing what you do with her! 

• Like 1

Misuka

Glad I am not the only one to remember the Chii...the only thing that made me think this was the 'same one' was actually the hair-cutting, I might have imagined it, and also it was a very long time, but I have a vague recollection of the original owner saying that they trimmed the hair of the original doll due to it being unwieldy.

• Like 1

Mega Negi

You need to get a 1:1 scale Sumomo for her to pose with.

• Like 2

miraclelovely
21 hours ago, OccultBeast said:

You could totally attach velcro to the inside of a normal wig if that's all that's used to keep it secured to her head, then; either sewing some in or just gluing it to the inside of the wig cap.  Assuming the wig is the right size, of course~  I think your idea for extensions could work great too, if you didn't want to go for a full wig swap.  I know her long hair is Iconic™ but I'm sure she'd also be really cute with a little blond bob for ease of just existing with her.

And oh my gosh, how lucky!  I actually just happened to spot it during a quick Google Image search for Chii's outfits because I was trying to remember if the one I was thinking of was real or not (it's only been, oh, about 15 years since I read the manga/watched the anime lmao), and I thought it looked like the Paper Moon Chii!  So I'm glad I just happened to stumble upon it, then!

might just get her another wig to wear around if they'll fit, cuz yeah... something a bit easier to manage would be neat. and that's seriously super lucky! can't believe you were able to find it coincidentally LOL

21 hours ago, Chise said:

OMG!!! i remember bazillion years ago PaperMoon's site having a few anime characters as 1:1 scale dolls!
and we used to joke how someone should just buy the Chii so we could take apart her outfit & ears for cosplaying purposes

We absolutely must have ALL of the details and shenanigans and adventures of this girl!!

LOL unfortunately the ears won't be able to be used for cosplaying because they actually attach to her head via some weird screw-nail type things? and theyre made to groove exactly to the curve of her face so that they stay on decently well! super easy to remove and put on, but just wouldn't be able to fit a person "OTL as for the outfit.. i think somebody may have actually just taken it to cosplay with and that might be why she didn't have it. 

21 hours ago, Misuka said:

Ahh, I figured it was her since there are so few of those around. A few years after DoA started - uh, I guess around 06-08 (at least, a long time ago, oof) someone bought a Chii and posted her for a bit before DoA decided to define what they were going to focus on (and it was needed at the time, it was becoming a huge forum too fast)

She was easy to remember because of what a presence a giant Chii has! either way, it's great you have one and I hope you enjoy her. She's really something.

honestly, it might be! the previous owner bought her secondhand from a local anime store but she was already without her original clothing and with her hair slightly cut by then- so it's pretty likely that it's the same Chii! out of curiosity, do you happen to have any links to the previous posts of her, or some kind of way i can access them (without a DoA account T_T")

15 hours ago, finnleo said:

Depreciation is a peculiar thing. I recall first looking at the papermoon site when I was rocking a GPRS mobile connection for internets, so that was quite some time ago.

The thing is its one thing to ask a certain ammount of money for a niché product when its new, and a totally differnt thing to try and get the same money later down the road when there are more ... colorful options in the near 1/1 scale for a fraction of the original cost so if someone just want to get rid of it, they probably would need to price it accordingly.

If I recall correct they made these pretty much to order, so the initial purchase cost probably reflected the near one-off nature of them.

But its still a neat collectable in a oddware type of way if you have the room for one.

that's very true, but it's just mind blowing to see it go for 1/5th of the retail. i totally understand where you're coming from though, because if she wasn't the exact price she was.. i don't think i would've bought her. 

9 hours ago, Tasuke said:

i would have loved to own one of these when i first found out about them like fifteen years ago!! Congrats!!!

Chii_PAPERMOON_1-1_scale_doll_2021_(3).j

Chii_PAPERMOON_1-1_scale_doll_2021_(4).j

Chii_PAPERMOON_1-1_scale_doll_2021_(2).j

Chii_PAPERMOON_1-1_scale_doll_2021_(1).j

thank you! i've actually never seen that first picture before by the way, so thank you for sharing! i'm always looking for more pics of this Chii (and paper moon dolls in general) 

8 hours ago, yumyumsalad said:

WOW congratulations!!! This Chii is super rare, I'm so glad to know someone on this forum has her!! ♥️

thank you so much! so i've assumed, going off of her age and original price i figured that hardly any people owned this thing. i'm glad i can share her on this forum with everybody! ^^

3 hours ago, Manaphyyy said:

Wow! Congrats on her (pretty much) safe arrival.

Full-scale dolls like this are so fascinating to me--until I saw this post, I only knew of some large resin dolls like Dollmore's Lusion and Trinity lines, and also Magical Angel Iris.

Looking forward to more updates as you learn more about her!

thank you so much! the arrival could've been much worse, so yeah i'd say it was pretty safe LOL. i'm so thankful that her face wasn't what got damaged... also i've never looked much into full scale dolls but i'll check those ones out because i'm quite curious now! 

and i'm glad you're looking forward to more updates! she's definitely very interesting thus far.

3 hours ago, sunlightandtea said:

Woah, this is super cool. Definitely looking forward to more pics and more information about your experience with her!

i'm really glad you think so too! i hope i won't disappoint with the future pictures and information ^^ if there's anything in specific that you'd like to know about her, feel free to let me know! 

2 hours ago, Ageha said:

Congrats! I also remember her from DoA! Gosh that was ages ago....but I always remembered her (and her original price tag @_@) and really did wonder what happened to her in the end. Last I saw, the original owner had put her up for sale. I'm also very curious how she "works" and am interested in seeing what you do with her! 

i have no idea if she really is the one from DoA or not, but i'm starting to think it's likely. if that is the case, she's been through 4 people at the very least LOL! and i'm still figuring more out each day about how she works because it's really hard to get a grasp of her full articulation without a stand or an extra person to help hold her up. she's wobbly in her waist joint so i haven't been able to play around with the articulation as much as i'd like to. i mentioned before, but if you have any specific questions about her please let me know because i really want to provide as much information as i can!

53 minutes ago, Misuka said:

Glad I am not the only one to remember the Chii...the only thing that made me think this was the 'same one' was actually the hair-cutting, I might have imagined it, and also it was a very long time, but I have a vague recollection of the original owner saying that they trimmed the hair of the original doll due to it being unwieldy.

ahhh seriously? that might make her the same one then! i can totally see why they trimmed her hair- as much as i wish it wasn't trimmed... i totally understood why after only 30 minutes of having her LOL even at knee length it's quite wild and tangles almost instantly. 

28 minutes ago, Mega Negi said:

You need to get a 1:1 scale Sumomo for her to pose with.

that would be so cute! i'd like to at least find a Sumomo plush or figure for her to pose with ^^

• Like 1

OccultBeast
1 hour ago, miraclelovely said:

out of curiosity, do you happen to have any links to the previous posts of her, or some kind of way i can access them (without a DoA account T_T")

I did as good of a search on DoA as I could, but it looks like any old posts/threads that mentioned her had been deleted, likely retroactively after DoA deemed her 'Off Topic' for the forum.  The only things you can really find are a few random mentions of someone selling theirs on eBay, including the photo below.  I tried looking for the user who had been selling it, but there doesn't seem to be anything of interest left online.

geek-love-001.png.a33a26d3e8c11a9379aa648a9f5fe5a3.png

Interestingly though, I found a couple of mentions about a British tv show 'Japanarama' which just happened to show Chii in one episode!  And lucky for us, the whole show has been uploaded to YouTube at some point, so you can see her here (it should be timestamped to jump directly to the shot where you can see her on display with other Paper Moon 1/1 dolls): 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

miraclelovely
21 hours ago, OccultBeast said:

I did as good of a search on DoA as I could, but it looks like any old posts/threads that mentioned her had been deleted, likely retroactively after DoA deemed her 'Off Topic' for the forum.  The only things you can really find are a few random mentions of someone selling theirs on eBay, including the photo below.  I tried looking for the user who had been selling it, but there doesn't seem to be anything of interest left online.

geek-love-001.png.a33a26d3e8c11a9379aa648a9f5fe5a3.png

Interestingly though, I found a couple of mentions about a British tv show 'Japanarama' which just happened to show Chii in one episode!  And lucky for us, the whole show has been uploaded to YouTube at some point, so you can see her here (it should be timestamped to jump directly to the shot where you can see her on display with other Paper Moon 1/1 dolls): 

thank you so much for looking! also wow, that's so neat that she made a quick little cameo in that show! 😄

• Like 1

Chilmark

Her wig has held up amazingly well over the years for kanekalon! If you ever wanna replace it with one similar to the original but in an easily-detangled fiber, Assist Cosplay's premium wig line has an ultra super long style ("moon ash" is a good color match) and it's wayyyyy easier to manage than pre-HRF wig hair. It'd just need the bangs trimmed.

Thank you for sharing her with us, I remember being a smol teenager admiring Paper Moon via DoA and it makes me happy to know she continues to wander through the hobby~

Edited by Chilmark
  • Like 1