Anouc

Anna-neko

archangeli

Juu Yuki

Baldylox

Geoffryhawk

Wisconsin Hobbyists Meet?

Geoffryhawk

It's starting to get warmer here in the North by the Big Lakes. So I was curious if anyone was around the southern Wisconsin, northern Illinois region?

I would really love to get together with some hobbyists! (Safely of course, Wisconsin still has Mask orders in place!) I've been really wanting to meet up with doll friends for a while! I was gonna go to Anime Central, as I know there's a pretty big hobby group in Chicago, but of course Covid had just started at the beginning of last year. Unfortunately GenCon also ended up online instead.

So was thinking maybe since I'm really back into the hobby again and getting into vinyl it'd be really cool to meet up with some doll folks!

Was imagining some time in June or July, meeting up at a park perhaps?

I don't know if there's already a Wisconsin thread already, so if there is let me know! Picture of me and my friends doll from last time we had an outting. Haha. spacer.png

Riesz

I live in Iowa and would like to do a meetup but I'm not sure it'll happen this year! I'm just waiting to see how the covid vaccine goes and how summer will end up being this year.

Geoffryhawk
8 minutes ago, Riesz said:

I live in Iowa and would like to do a meetup but I'm not sure it'll happen this year! I'm just waiting to see how the covid vaccine goes and how summer will end up being this year.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense to me.

I got my first dose of vaccine yesterday, so I guess I'm just really eager to get the second and then get back out into the world a little more freely. Course I'm Essential Worker so my eagerness is also to avoid getting sick due to Members.

I've been told that out door events are a lot safer, so if wider vaccine use shows a definite decrease of cases I think it could be the best way to have one!

Cauldroness

Yes, there are quite a few local groups.

There is, of course, the big Chicago group. Pre-pandemic, they had small monthly meets + two very large bi-yearly meets. With the way vaccinations are going, I expect the big Halloween meet will happen this year!

There is also the smaller, Madison-based group, which also has two large meets each year. There has been some discussion of their summer meet perhaps happening this year. I know some of members of that group are quite high-risk so vaccinations might be mandatory for attendees.

I also host small meets (in fact, I was supposed to have one on March 14, 2020 which, unfortunately, landed one day *after* COVID was announced a worldwide pandemic and had to be cancelled). Assuming enough of us can get vaccinated, I was contemplating an early or mid-summer gathering.

• Like 1

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

Geoffryhawk
18 minutes ago, Cauldroness said:

Yes, there are quite a few local groups.

There is, of course, the big Chicago group. Pre-pandemic, they had small monthly meets + two very large bi-yearly meets. With the way vaccinations are going, I expect the big Halloween meet will happen this year!

There is also the smaller, Madison-based group, which also has two large meets each year. There has been some discussion of their summer meet perhaps happening this year. I know some of members of that group are quite high-risk so vaccinations might be mandatory for attendees.

I also host small meets (in fact, I was supposed to have one on March 14, 2020 which, unfortunately, landed one day *after* COVID was announced a worldwide pandemic and had to be cancelled). Assuming enough of us can get vaccinated, I was contemplating an early or mid-summer gathering.

Yeah unfortunately Madison is in many ways further away than chicago for me being that I'm in the greater milwaukee area. Not as feasible for a day trip. If you do end up trying to put together something I would absolutely love to go! ^^

Since AMKE this year ended up being all digital, and ACEN is already canceled, I've just got no where to go to interact with people outside of work it feels like.

:) As funny as it would be to have a photoshoot in a costco haha.

Riesz

I'm pretty much on the very bottom of the priority list for the vaccine but I have my fingers crossed for early summer. It would be great to have a fun doll event to look forward to!

• Like 1

Geoffryhawk
3 hours ago, Riesz said:

I'm pretty much on the very bottom of the priority list for the vaccine but I have my fingers crossed for early summer. It would be great to have a fun doll event to look forward to!

Hopefully they can quickly open up vaccinations to the more general public!

Same! It'd be so fun to actually meet up with some doll people in the area. ^^ Also the fun of meeting everyone's dolls. I've just been falling in love with all the Dollfies I've seen! (especially the MDDs <3)

Cauldroness

Hahaha, as a born-and-bred Midwesterner, I think my idea of "day trip" is a little... skewed, because I view going to Chicago (from Madison!) as a pretty quick day trip, and I've even gone up to Minneapolis and back in a single day (that's about 4.5 hrs of driving... each way). I've even got a friend who lives here in Madison and works in MKE, and makes the trip twice a day, every work day!

Maybe I'll poke around at my contacts and see what the latest thoughts are.

Geoffryhawk
2 hours ago, Cauldroness said:

Hahaha, as a born-and-bred Midwesterner, I think my idea of "day trip" is a little... skewed, because I view going to Chicago (from Madison!) as a pretty quick day trip, and I've even gone up to Minneapolis and back in a single day (that's about 4.5 hrs of driving... each way). I've even got a friend who lives here in Madison and works in MKE, and makes the trip twice a day, every work day!

Maybe I'll poke around at my contacts and see what the latest thoughts are.

Ah haha, yeah I was raised in Chicago area and then Milwaukee area, unfortunately due to my accelerated fatiguing due to some chronic issues, those kinds of round trips are really difficult especially as I've gotten older. x.x

I do love to get a hotel even for short trips sometimes though simply for the "vacation" vibe I guess.

Before the pandemic regularly had week long trips for GenCon, and up to my Grandmother in the UP, and at least driving up to the UP is quite a fun trip compared to the boredom heading to Indianapolis haha.

May also just be the fact that driving through the middle of wisconsin is kinda hypnotizing. LOL!

^^ It's been a while since I went to Madison, or even further to the Wisconsin Dells. :) if there ended up being a meet out there I'd probably make at least a weekend of it, to be a tourist. I'd just need some time to plan!

Neko1967

I would like to here if a meetup. I am so new I do not even have a doll yet was hoping to go to ACEN but it was cancelled again.  I want to build two dolls and gathering information now.  I saw mentions if vaccinations I have both of mine.  Live on Illinois Wisconsin border

• Like 1

K-2

Yeah, the whole Covid thing really screwed meet ups. I just got my second Pfizer poke last week so I'm feeling better about some late summer/fall meet ups.

• Like 1

MVSig.jpg

Geoffryhawk

Good to see interest! :) I was definitely thinking late summer would be best, as more people are now eligible to be vaccinated.

juni-fee

I'd love to go to a meetup late summer/early fall!  Hopefully by then I'll actually have my first dollfie 😆  I'm in the Chicago area so I'd probably end up making it a small vacation rather than just a day trip.  I went to a couple of the ChiTown Dollz meetups but I don't know if they're doing anything this year but even so, I'd be more than happy to go to another one especially since I've been fully vaccinated 😄

• Like 1

Veravey

I'm in central-western Canada, I wish I could meet up with you guys <3

• Like 1

1170566833_DarkerThanBlackYinbannerv2.png.00494620f57f854f2be78f0f2f9c89d6.png

Cauldroness

I'm actually hosting a small meet-up in June with some fully vaccinated friends. If all goes well, I may host another one in July for a larger group!

• Like 2

Cauldroness

Hey friends! I'm currently polling folks to find out the best weekend for a late July/early Aug mini-meet in Madison. If you're interested, please PM your email address so I can include you in the planning emails. :)

• Like 1

Geoffryhawk

I'm also considering running a meet in mid-august in South-East wisconsin, Milwaukee area.

The Parks are once again allowing reservations of Pavilions :) so I thought a day at the park with dolls would be fun! (One of the parks also has a lovely bridge over a small river/stream that would be quite fun for pictures!)

Epona

I am glad to see two topics on the first page here being more or less in my neck of the woods! I look forward to whatever the future may bring for meet ups! Out of curiosity, do the anime cons often draw in a lot of doll people? I met someone from Anime Central years back who had their Smartdoll Sana and I was so excited when I saw her lol, especially since it was my first time seeing a vinyl doll in person (I collect mostly resins). I think a lot of people in the doll hobby have overlapping interests in anime and cosplay, but are there usually more... dedicated doll events during cons?

Geoffryhawk
2 hours ago, Epona said:

I am glad to see two topics on the first page here being more or less in my neck of the woods! I look forward to whatever the future may bring for meet ups! Out of curiosity, do the anime cons often draw in a lot of doll people? I met someone from Anime Central years back who had their Smartdoll Sana and I was so excited when I saw her lol, especially since it was my first time seeing a vinyl doll in person (I collect mostly resins). I think a lot of people in the doll hobby have overlapping interests in anime and cosplay, but are there usually more... dedicated doll events during cons?

I found a few at Anime Milwaukee a few years ago, I was going to go to acen at the beginning of covid so I'm not sure of that one.