Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Weltfremd

Wobbly DDH-01

Weltfremd

Hello, I couldn't really find something for wobbly heads, but is there anything I could do?
I just thought that's the way ddh-01 heads are on mdd bodies, but after inspecting the head yesterday, I noticed that the previous owner (the face up artist I bought from Y!J?) widened the hole with a knife, I guess. This makes the head so incredibly wobbly it's annoying to handle her :(
What can I do?

Dollvari

They probably used a neck peg adapter, the kind that allows you to quickly slide heads off & on a body.

You could take a plastic soda cap or bottled water cap:

Cut a hole in it just large enough to push the neck peg through but still grip it.

You would then gently push/twist it down till firm enough to your liking.

So it would sit inside the dolls head over the neck peg restoring normal movement, for the most part.

I got a DD head off YHJ onetime and when it came in the mail I found out they had cut out the neck hole completely like an Obitsu😬 so I feel your pain.

Edited by Dollvari

Rizukaa

If the head is too lose, you can use eye putty to stabilize it on the peg. Just put it around the peg inside the head and you should be good!

I reckon you could also increase the diameter of the peg with tape, but I'd be careful with that. 

A custom neck peg piece might also solve the problem? The ones I got off YJA were pretty big, so I had to increase all my girls' neck holes myself. 

Don't be sad, some eye putty is an easy and quick fix, and you won't have to worry about your head tearing because the hole isn't big enough.

Weltfremd
12 hours ago, Dollvari said:

They probably used a neck peg adapter, the kind that allows you to quickly slide heads off & on a body.

You could take a plastic soda cap or bottled water cap:

Cut a hole in it just large enough to push the neck peg through but still grip it.

You would then gently push/twist it down till firm enough to your liking.

So it would sit inside the dolls head over the neck peg restoring normal movement, for the most part.

I got a DD head off YHJ onetime and when it came in the mail I found out they had cut out the neck hole completely like an Obitsu😬 so I feel your pain.

I think I'll try that! Thank you!

12 hours ago, Rizukaa said:

If the head is too lose, you can use eye putty to stabilize it on the peg. Just put it around the peg inside the head and you should be good!

I reckon you could also increase the diameter of the peg with tape, but I'd be careful with that. 

A custom neck peg piece might also solve the problem? The ones I got off YJA were pretty big, so I had to increase all my girls' neck holes myself. 

Don't be sad, some eye putty is an easy and quick fix, and you won't have to worry about your head tearing because the hole isn't big enough.

The problem is that I never used eye putty, I use Mack's Earplugs and I don't think that works well for that purpose. Can you recommend some custom neck pegs? I remember that my Melty has one, but I'm not sure from where exactly.. I left the hobby for a while and forgot a lot of stuff haha. Thank you for your answer!

Rizukaa
On 4/6/2021 at 12:44 PM, Weltfremd said:

I think I'll try that! Thank you!

The problem is that I never used eye putty, I use Mack's Earplugs and I don't think that works well for that purpose. Can you recommend some custom neck pegs? I remember that my Melty has one, but I'm not sure from where exactly.. I left the hobby for a while and forgot a lot of stuff haha. Thank you for your answer!

Mack's are Silicone earplugs, right? I think it should still work. I have both, eye putty and silicone earplugs at home and they are pretty similar in consistency overall. I'd say give it a try and report back with your findings!

The custom neck peg I use is made by the seller „kanzashi_wafudo“ on Yahoo Japan auctions. It replaces the original plastic neck peg with a metal rod. A bit of assembly is necessary, but they come with a instruction sheet on how to do everything (in japanese, but images and google translate are your friend)
There are also other sellers on YJA selling different kinds of neck pegs, some in glass, plastic, metal, etc. Check them out and see what suits your taste!

If you buy from YJA, you will need a proxy though. But that's not a big deal either, there's plenty of dedicated websites that can order the things you want/need.

moerunamida

I've personally tried poster tac/mounting putty in my DCH19 head and it doesn't stick well. Her head was loose from day one, but I might try the silicone ear plugs. Wobble head is cute, but not when you are trying to pose for photos.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Selenae

I can confirm that Mack's does not work, at least, not for me. My MDD3 Liliru had a severely wobbly head from day 1 as well, so what I did was use a single layer of Volks' skin tape on the inside of the sculpt's peg hole, being very careful to cover only the inside of the hole, and not the part where the head and neck meet. It's not perfect, but it seems to be holding up well enough.

• Like 1

moerunamida
12 hours ago, Selenae said:

I can confirm that Mack's does not work, at least, not for me. My MDD3 Liliru had a severely wobbly head from day 1 as well, so what I did was use a single layer of Volks' skin tape on the inside of the sculpt's peg hole, being very careful to cover only the inside of the hole, and not the part where the head and neck meet. It's not perfect, but it seems to be holding up well enough.

I wonder if plumbers tape would work. I don't have any of Volk's tape, but I could test the first.

Selenae

@Deyja I wouldn't know, to be honest. Plumber's tape uses a much stronger adhesive, so I would avoid using on that dolls because the adhesive might ruin the vinyl.

moerunamida
5 hours ago, Selenae said:

@Deyja I wouldn't know, to be honest. Plumber's tape uses a much stronger adhesive, so I would avoid using on that dolls because the adhesive might ruin the vinyl.

The tape I'm talking about doesn't use any kind of adhesive as it just sticks to itself. We'd use it in the Pullip community to prevent plastic melting if swapping a body to an obitsu. This is a picture of the tape I'm talking about.

tape.jpg

OccultBeast

@Deyja That's also known as thread seal tape or Teflon tape. It doesn't technically even adhere to itself, and is used to fill tiny gaps in pipe threads for a tight fit. There are different colours for different uses, namely green tape is supposed to be grease-free.

I think you could be safe to try the standard white variety around the neck peg to see if it improves grip, and otherwise just keep an eye on it for discolouration or other adverse reactions in the vinyl of the head. I think though, if you find you need to wrap it many times to improve the grip, it would probably be best to fashion some sort of inner-head device like the bottle cap method instead. Teflon tape would be best for a slight head wobble, in my opinion.

moerunamida

@OccultBeast ah, forgot it was also called Teflon tape. I typed in 'plumbers tape' into a search to get the picture and that's what came up. Was just trying to be helpful. 

• Like 1

OccultBeast
3 hours ago, Deyja said:

ah, forgot it was also called Teflon tape. I typed in 'plumbers tape' into a search to get the picture and that's what came up. Was just trying to be helpful. 

No worries!  I was also just giving some alternate names, cause it might be called different things in other places, plus I've used it personally so I just thought I'd also throw my two cents into the pot~

• Like 1