Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

ragnamuffin

Staining

ragnamuffin

Like the topic title says, how big of an issue is staining from Volks clothing? Do more recent clothes stain less?

I’ve read Obitsu bodies don’t stain as easily as DD/SD do, but there’s a disclaimer on the Azone website about staining, and a lot of Japanese websites say Volks uses dyes in their clothes that bleed out a lot, so the issue is more the clothing than the bodies (but that they’ve gotten better in recent years?!).

I ordered the Spring Magic Girl Mini outfit for my Azone 1/3 doll and plan to wash it several times just to be safe, but what should I expect in terms of being able to keep her clean? Has anybody ever washed doll clothes before and have any tips?

Manaphyyy

Dark or very pigmented clothing and that pleather-y material some outfits are made out of are definitely more likely to stain vinyl, but if you catch it soon enough, it usually isn't too hard to remove from the body. 

I can't speak much to how much easier/harder it is for certain brands to take stains, but I can at least assure you the Spring Magic Girl Mini outfit is fully lined with white fabric, so it has an extremely low likelihood of staining--even without a pre-wash.

ragnamuffin
2 hours ago, Manaphyyy said:

I can't speak much to how much easier/harder it is for certain brands to take stains, but I can at least assure you the Spring Magic Girl Mini outfit is fully lined with white fabric, so it has an extremely low likelihood of staining--even without a pre-wash.

That’s a relief to know! Thank you for the info.

• Like 1

BeyondTime
On 6/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, ragnamuffin said:

Do more recent clothes stain less?

The more recent outfits for DD are often designed with white lining that mitigates staining. Where I find there are still problems is the threads used to stitch the outfits often stain.

If the outfit is dark blue with a white lining, the lining will be stitched on with dark blue thread. Don’t be surprised if the threads stain. 

I think the materials are less likely to stain than they used to be, but that’s not necessarily true with SD outfits when used on DD.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

ragnamuffin
8 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

The more recent outfits for DD are often designed with white lining that mitigates staining. Where I find there are still problems is the threads used to stitch the outfits often stain.

If the outfit is dark blue with a white lining, the lining will be stitched on with dark blue thread. Don’t be surprised if the threads stain. 

I think the materials are less likely to stain than they used to be, but that’s not necessarily true with SD outfits when used on DD.

Ahhh, I see. A lot of Japanese sites said the threads would stain and I didn’t understand what they meant by that, but I think I get it now. Considering permanently having her in a bodysuit just in case.

BeyondTime

Light colors like pastels generally aren't a problem, but the dark reds, blues, browns and blacks are something to be careful with.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Lynn

And turguoise. It's almost as dangerous as red and black.

• Sad 1

marionbearmaker

Quick question about staining, would a black outfit still stain with a bodysuit?

I've been in love with this outfit for years:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=9092

and would like to let my future* doll wearing it, but that doesn't seem safe at all...

I had the SD-sized version in the past, but never let it on for longer than a photoshoot.

* relapsing after several years, I ordered a Mochi-ashi body and a custom DDH-22 head

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, marionbearmaker said:

Quick question about staining, would a black outfit still stain with a bodysuit?

Bodysuits can prevent stains, but sometimes they only delay them. You need to check periodically to see if color is starting to bleed into the bodysuit, and if it is then you wash the bodysuit. When the outfit is new, or the weather is humid, I would check frequently. 

5 hours ago, marionbearmaker said:

That looks like an older outfit made for SD, so I think it has high stain potential. 

• Thanks 1

marionbearmaker

Thanks so much for your help, it sounds risky, it is indeed a super old outfit, 2013 I think. 

Edited by marionbearmaker

Xiongmao

My girl permanently wears her bodysuit now as our old house just isn't clean enough to risk it. I had great success with removing stains using acne cream, but I have no idea how Towa got stained in the first place.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Elagabalus

Definitely echoing the threads staining comments! Most of the recent Volks (and some other makers that specialize in clothing for vinyl dolls) line garments in white or lighter colored material, but the seams will still stain depending on the thread. I put masking tape (or scotch tape in a pinch, but then I remove it pretty quickly so that it doesn't leave residue) over all the seams and have never had a problem with seams staining.

On 6/13/2021 at 9:23 AM, marionbearmaker said:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=9092

and would like to let my future* doll wearing it, but that doesn't seem safe at all...

I had the SD-sized version in the past, but never let it on for longer than a photoshoot.

* relapsing after several years, I ordered a Mochi-ashi body and a custom DDH-22 head

This outfit was designed with SDs in mind, which have less of an issue with staining than vinyl dolls, so it's pretty likely that it will stain :( Some of my friends' dolls have gotten stained even through their body suits, so if you get an outfit like that you probably don't want to risk keeping the doll in it for a long time.

• Like 1