Chise

Testament

Yami Usagi

Kizuna & Chitose

Baldylox

Damiensdolls

Vaccinated-only Chicago mini-meetup?

Damiensdolls

Having not been to a meetup in over 3 years now, and really craving the experience of seeing other dolls in person and meeting people who share my interests, I’ve been wondering if anyone would be interested in a Chicago-area casual mini-meetup somewhere? I’m fully vaccinated (the 2-week mark after my 2nd shot was on June 9th), but I’d still only be comfortable if everyone else was also vaccinated and wearing masks just in case. I don’t have any doll friends I can ask, let alone any in the area, so I hope this is the right place to ask.

I live around Valparaiso Indiana but I don’t mind going to Chicago since it’s fairly close by and I assume it would be more convenient for other people. We can decide what specific location and date/time is best after we’ve established who’s interested, but feel free to suggest somewhere you think would be good if you have something in mind.

Damiensdolls
20 hours ago, Cauldroness said:

You should join the ChiTown Dollz forum. They regularly schedule doll meets in the Chicago area!

http://www.chitowndollz.com/forum/index.php

I’ve actually been to a few ChiTown Dollz meetups in the past, I guess I’m just looking for something that focuses on vinyl dolls only, since ChiTown Dollz is mainly for resin dolls.

Moonsour

I would potentially be interested in a Chicago meet for people who are fully vaccinated! I'm unsure of what location would be suitable though. I've also been to Chitown Dollz meets in the past and miss them a lot. ;-;

• Like 1

Oculae

Not to necro the thread or anything, but I recently lost some IRL friends (unrelated drama) and am totally down for a meetup to help me make some new ones! I know Chitowndollz often met at the Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights, and they've been very good about their mask and distancing rules, unlike...well, most places. > <; Or we could pick a forest preserve and do one outdoors now that the summer heat is winding down! I live in a rural area of the state so I'm very comfortable with driving for an hour or more if needed - I gotta do it to get to work regardless.

(Also, if anyone knows why I can't seem to get an account approved on there despite trying to make one 3 separate times with all 3 of my email addresses, months apart, let me know! I'm legit only, law-abiding, and at the end of my rope with this!)

• Like 1

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Damiensdolls
8 hours ago, Oculae said:

Thanks so much for responding! I was about to give up because I thought there wasn’t enough interest, but I think more people might respond if it looked like we had a plan. I’m liking the idea of doing it outdoors, so maybe this place or something similar to it could be good?:

https://g.co/kgs/Tyj7Av

I can also ask around on discord to see if anyone there is interested.

Also, I recently found out about meetups where they do a picnic and everyone brings their own lunch, and that seems like a fun idea to me, but I’m getting increasingly worried about covid again with the new variants, so I don’t know that I would want to have everyone take their masks off at any point in the meetup to eat. If there’s a way around that where we can ensure sufficient distancing, such as having everyone bring their own picnic blankets instead of sharing them, or sitting on benches that are far enough apart, I’d be open to it, but I’ll wait to see if anyone’s opposed to that or worried that we’d still be a danger to each other if we did that.

(I’ve also been having trouble logging into ChiTown Dollz because I forgot the password I made for it several years ago, and when I try to sign up with a different email the re-captcha thing at the end doesn’t respond ^^”)

Oculae

Ooh, I haven't been to that fountain in ages, that'd be lovely. I was thinking somewhere in the suburbs, just because their natural areas tend to be bigger (better for distancing) and parking wouldn't be hell on Earth, but if the group size stays small, the city's great for some photo opportunities!

I definitely think that separate picnic blankets would be a must for a picnic meetup, but that's mostly cause I think sharing would be a little awkward, lol. Imagine bringing a hot dog or something and getting mustard on someone else's blanket. Awwwkwaaard. 😂

I'm less worried about Covid, though, because I've both had it before and gotten fully vaxxed with the rest of my family, so I'll refrain from offering any input there. My advice might not work for someone who has a lot more to be worried about.

If my Discord had anyone in the Chicago area, I'd ask over there, but unfortunately...Maybe once a date, time, and location is decided, we could make a public event listing on Facebook or something for wider advertising?

• Like 1

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Damiensdolls

Ok, I’ve arranged a proper plan! ^u^ 

We can have a small meet at Grant Park and bring a few of our anime-style/vinyl dolls on September 25th from noon to 3 pm (but you can leave earlier if you’d prefer of course). Masks will be required, but we’ll be eating lunch at some point so when we eat we’ll make sure to keep properly distanced. We’ll all bring our own picnic blankets, and I can bring an extra in case we’d like to set our dolls down on it, but if you’d be more comfortable setting them on a folding table or something and have access to one you can bring, let me know! We can bring our own lunches, but if anyone forgets it or would rather not bring their own, I can do a group doordash order for some sandwiches or something, no problem! 👍🏼

If this date ends up being bad for all of you, or if the weather turns out poorly on that day, we can reschedule to a following weekend.

That_Dollfie_Dude

Ooh, this is interesting.  I live in the Cleveland area, but I'm actually going to be in Chicago on vacation for a few days on Friday October 22 - Sunday October 24.  If you are willing and able to meetup on an evening that weekend, I'd love to join you!

Oculae
5 hours ago, Damiensdolls said:

Ok, I’ve arranged a proper plan! ^u^ 

We can have a small meet at Grant Park and bring a few of our anime-style/vinyl dolls on September 25th from noon to 3 pm (but you can leave earlier if you’d prefer of course). Masks will be required, but we’ll be eating lunch at some point so when we eat we’ll make sure to keep properly distanced. We’ll all bring our own picnic blankets, and I can bring an extra in case we’d like to set our dolls down on it, but if you’d be more comfortable setting them on a folding table or something and have access to one you can bring, let me know! We can bring our own lunches, but if anyone forgets it or would rather not bring their own, I can do a group doordash order for some sandwiches or something, no problem! 👍🏼

If this date ends up being bad for all of you, or if the weather turns out poorly on that day, we can reschedule to a following weekend.

Sounds great! I'm free and I've added it to my personal calendar, so now I'm sure to attend! Hopefully the weather stays nice.

3 hours ago, That_Dollfie_Dude said:

I'm actually going to be in Chicago on vacation for a few days on Friday October 22 - Sunday October 24.  If you are willing and able to meetup on an evening that weekend, I'd love to join you!

I'll probably be available that weekend as well. If the September meet goes well (or if it doesn't, lol) I can plan for an evening meet sometime that weekend!

• Like 1

That_Dollfie_Dude
38 minutes ago, Oculae said:

Sounds great! I'm free and I've added it to my personal calendar, so now I'm sure to attend! Hopefully the weather stays nice.

I'll probably be available that weekend as well. If the September meet goes well (or if it doesn't, lol) I can plan for an evening meet sometime that weekend!

Excellent!  Keep me posted and I'll be there!  😄

Epona

Goodluck with your meetup! I would highly recommend for everyone to wear masks, though. My partner and I are both vaccinated, but he's a teacher and maybe only a quarter of the students are masking at his school, and it turns out that at least several students had active infections and he ended up getting infected on the first day of school, so now we're both home sick and an entire grade at the school is now doing virtual learning for the next two weeks or so. >_<

...Part of me expected this would likely happen, so I am not surprised, but still! Understatement of the year but I am not having a good time right now. I can only imagine how much worse for wear I'd be if I didn't get vaccinated... I am in the general "Chicagoland" area so if there is any others in the future, maybe I would be able to join, though! I don't have any vinyls yet, but I am hoping to change that soon - I've been eyeing a Dollfie Karin, so hopefully she won't be a too-far off acquisition. 😄

Edited by Epona

Damiensdolls

Update: due to there only being one confirmed respondent, the meet will be cancelled/rescheduled. I will think about October 23rd but may have to rethink the plans a bit depending on whether or not the weather gets too cold by then.

Something that may happen is for the meet to take place indoors, in which case there will be no eating so we can all keep our masks on the whole time. I’ll keep you updated if I come up with a specific plan for that. Hopefully more people will be interested in something like that. I was hoping for somewhere around 4 attendees, since a 1-on-1 could be more awkward but too many people would be difficult to manage. But I’ll see how many people respond once a new plan is decided.

Oculae

Aww. I've been looking forward to it. Hopefully the October one will work better!

• Like 1

simplyemme

If the October plan is still up, I would love to join.

• Like 1

Oculae

As far as I know it is, so hopefully the 23rd will be a good 4-person meet now!

I personally am not afraid to go out in the woods or a park with a coat, and all my dolls have coats of their own too. Whatever we end up doing works for me! 😆

simplyemme
15 minutes ago, Oculae said:

As far as I know it is, so hopefully the 23rd will be a good 4-person meet now!

I personally am not afraid to go out in the woods or a park with a coat, and all my dolls have coats of their own too. Whatever we end up doing works for me! 😆

Hah the woods would be an awesome backdrop for photos too. I hope it’ll happen. I’ve only done one meet before and it was fun getting to see other dolls in person ❤️

• Like 1

Damiensdolls

I’m still researching for possible locations for the 23rd!

I wanted to explore indoor options since the park spaces I was looking at would rely on good weather conditions and often didn’t have convenient places to sit or set up a few dolls. But indoor locations suitable for this kind of thing are proving to be pretty tricky to find as well, so outdoor is definitely not off the table!

Here’s the places I’m currently considering:

Maggie Daley Park (has a few picnic table areas, which could be convenient for setting down our dolls and things, but those areas seem to have limited shade)

A rentable conference/community room ((possibly something like this?: https://evenues.com/meeting-space/meeting-room-Chicago/15559)) (won’t have a whole lot of photo backdrop opportunities, but weather won’t matter and we can ensure everyone in the room wears a mask)

Maybe even a coffee shop with outdoor seating? But that would rely on those seats being open or else we’d be inside, possibly near unmasked people.

And that’s all the ideas I’ve had so far, but if any of you have more thoughts/ideas please share! 

59A0F884-96CA-4C33-904D-13DBD269FB7D.jpeg

Galvatim

How about here?  https://www.thekchall.com/

That's the usual place for the Chicago doll meets.  I have no hand in those, just an attendee, so I can't speak to pricing, but it's a fairly large space, with a separate area to eat in.  

juni-fee

Even though I don't have a vinyl doll yet, if my work schedule allows it I'd love to join! It'd be great to see some dolls in person 😄

• Like 2

That_Dollfie_Dude

My roommate is coming with me for this meetup!  He has a Smart Doll that he's going to bring along!

On 10/7/2021 at 7:14 PM, juni-fee said:

It'd be great to see some dolls in person 😄

I see you have DDS Karin on your wishlist.  I have her, so I'll be sure to bring her along with me!

New Outfits.jpg

Edited by That_Dollfie_Dude
Added comment

juni-fee
18 hours ago, That_Dollfie_Dude said:

I have her, so I'll be sure to bring her along with me!

She's so cuuuuuute!

Oculae

This October meetup is shaping up to be a busy one! Maybe I should get a set of business cards with my insta on them printed up so I can display them next to the dolls I bring. 😂

Now that I think on it, I have a whole pile of BJD backdrop cloth sitting in my closet. I don't have a way to hang it, but maybe I can rig something up by the time the meet happens and bring those if we end up meeting in a business center or something!

battrastard
44 minutes ago, Oculae said:

Now that I think on it, I have a whole pile of BJD backdrop cloth sitting in my closet. I don't have a way to hang it, but maybe I can rig something up by the time the meet happens and bring those if we end up meeting in a business center or something!

If you're going to be in a conference room, there might be a presentation board, usually with a Dry-Write surface. They normally have a metal surface, for attaching notes and stuff with magnets. Rare earth magnets (Neodymium?) should be strong enough for your backdrops, I think. Set it behind the table, and, there ya go! 

Outdoors, I'd use 1/2 in. pvc pipes and joints to make a custom frame. If you don't glue it, you can use different length of pipes for height and width. If its not glued, it's not too difficult to dissasemble for space-saving, either. (they fit together tight, anyways.)  

Edited by battrastard

Damiensdolls

Ok, I booked this meeting room for October 23rd: https://evenues.com/meeting-space/meeting-room-Chicago/15559 (it’s the one I previously linked, it’s located in a Dunkin Donuts building and looks rly nice!)

The address is: 1231 S Wabash Ave Chicago IL 60605

There seems to be plenty of parking options nearby so it shouldn’t be too hard to find a spot!

I think we should meet at 2:00 pm, that way everyone can have lunch beforehand. I reserved the room for the whole day, so the ending time is flexible! But I’d say around 5:00 would work if you need a solid estimate. And the building is very close to Grant Park so if anyone wants to take some outdoor doll pictures, it’s a short walk away!

I’m super excited and I hope to see you all there! ^u^

Here’s the latest picture of my crew if you were curious, I’ll probably bring one of my 1/3 girls (not sure which one yet) and a few of the little guys!:

8E6A8D66-3E70-4E0A-AEB0-00BEE7F1F584.jpeg

• Like 2