The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Katsudon

Dolls we're saying goodbye to (discontinuations)

Katsudon

I wondered if a thread notifying people of which Smart Dolls are being retired would be useful? Just because there have been a lot of discontinued dolls over the past few months. I don't know how that compares to the larger trend in Smart Dolls, but it feels like suddenly a lot of dolls are disappearing or being revised. This is just for regular stock dolls - limiteds come and go too fast to keep track of.

If this isn't useful then please feel free to delete this thread!

Anyway! Last chance on getting the current version of Monday. So if you like her present style, snap her up! The cocoa version (Tomorrow) is being discontinued forever, so if you want this sculpt in cocoa this is your last chance.

Edit: this may be useful for people who have these dolls on their wishlist: if you cannot currently afford a doll that's about to disappear, Fabric Friends And Dolls can order them and do layaways if you catch them in time. If you'll be heartbroken without a doll, but can't afford it outright, there is always that option.

Edited by Katsudon
Layaway info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

HazelMaze

For the love of all that is holy why do I feel like it's always the cocoa girls that get the axe?

BeyondTime
9 minutes ago, HazelMaze said:

For the love of all that is holy why do I feel like it's always the cocoa girls that get the axe?

They probably don't sell as many in Cocoa. While AFAIK SmartDoll is the only game in town for large dolls that represent people of African heritage, it's still probably more of a niche market within the Anime Doll subculture when compared to Milk/Cinnamon and Tea.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

HazelMaze
1 minute ago, BeyondTime said:

They probably don't sell as many in Cocoa. While AFAIK SmartDoll is the only game in town for large dolls that represent people of African heritage, it's still probably more of a niche market within the Anime Doll subculture when compared to Milk/Cinnamon and Tea.

Not to argue semantics, but I think it is a bit more accurate to say "BIPOC" , there doesn't seem to be an desire to swing for a specific culture/heritage with the skintone choices and presentation.

We often hear it's in relation to storage.Though we could argue about "inventory space" all we'd like since we've no data or knowledge about how the warehouse/storage is done,it does still suck that we get a lot more girls pumped out in cinnamon and much less in regards to tea and cocoa, only to have some of those cocoa girls specifically get axed first. I obviously don't have numbers on what sells at how much, so I'm not trying to stamp my feet and say "how dare he!". It's just an annoying trend I've noticed.

(Arguably Monday is a bit more of a niche sculpt, but I am bummed by the decrease in cocoa variety)

• Like 1

BeyondTime
4 hours ago, HazelMaze said:

Not to argue semantics, but I think it is a bit more accurate to say "BIPOC" , there doesn't seem to be an desire to swing for a specific culture/heritage with the skintone choices and presentation.

Was more me trying to say something while being as respectful as possible and not giving offense to anyone, but I will keep BIPOC in mind for the future.

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Katsudon

I think iirc Danny has said that cocoa girls sell the least... which is a shame to be honest, because it's hard as hell to get anime style dolls in darker skin tones. I've asked resin companies that do both anime style dolls, and tan and darker resins, whether they can make their dolls in the darker tones. But nope, they just do anime style in "normal/white skin"

(Urgh, "normal". Wait, going too far with the tangent!)

So yup, make sure you get your cocoa girls while you can. Then get the tea ones. Then cinnamon 'cos there's tons of them. XD

It is a shame about Tomorrow, because I think the sculpt looks best in cocoa. To me, at least. It's sad that she won't be returning (or rather that there are no current plans for return.)

• Like 1

Q_T
On 6/28/2021 at 2:23 PM, BeyondTime said:

Was more me trying to say something while being as respectful as possible and not giving offense to anyone, but I will keep BIPOC in mind for the future.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. People just often go with Black or POC (person of color) - because we know at least who you are talking about XD  When people try to get too PC about it - often the meaning gets lost.

That said. I am also sad to hear about the discontinuation of Tomorrow she was by far my favorite in the line of Cocoa dolls because she actually looks happy and happy to be who she is lol. She's not afraid to have a nose! The original faceup wasn't doing her too much in favors but her current one is beautiful.

It comes as no surprise they don't sell as well given that the especially in America the gap in wealth makes it harder to own such a doll to begin with. After being told "this is a luxury item" and often being told not to invest in the dolls unless you have some spendable income - and often driving people away with certain tones/lectures etc.. about who should and shouldn't own a doll. The smaller portion of people who may have been interested in a Cocoa doll becomes even smaller. 

That's not to say it's not a luxury item - but the attitude that often surrounds it by the sellers/community is what can make it even more intimidating for the few into it due to the "put up or shut up" kind of vibe that comes with being in that group. 

Anyways, If they do produce any more sculpts would like to see bit more happy dolls, with noses. I more or less feel they're fine with their anime line, which can be tweaked with more depth in the faces and possibly eye shapes. 

• Like 2

BeyondTime
23 minutes ago, Q_T said:

Honestly, it doesn't matter. People just often go with Black or POC (person of color) - because we know at least who you are talking about XD  When people try to get too PC about it - often the meaning gets lost.

That was the other side of it. How do I make who I am talking about apparent to the reader without coming across as a complete jackass. XD

• Haha 2

Geoffryhawk

Seeing Tomorrow is going to be discontinued soon is sad ;.;

The Cocoa dolls are definitely my favorites.

• Like 1

jazijaz

I wanted a doll in Cocoa for so long but I'm still new to Smart dolls and when I saw the sculpt I wanted in tea I bought her not knowing that the same sculpt was available in cocoa but with a different name. I only realized it when I made the purchase and found the sculpt I wanted in cocoa but I was confused because it has another name, at first I ignored the sculpt because of the name...I was looking for the sculpt in cocoa with the original name...I don't know why the name changes when the skin color changes...now I'm afraid to ask Danny to change colors because the order confirmation email was kind of intimidating, it says someone will contacting me to ask some questions before  shipping the doll and below it says order will be canceled if I want it sooner...so I'm just afraid my doll will be canceled 🥺

Edited by jazijaz

davidd
57 minutes ago, jazijaz said:

I wanted a doll in Cocoa for so long but I'm still new to Smart dolls and when I saw the sculpt I wanted in tea I bought her not knowing that the same sculpt was available in cocoa....

The "tea" figures are really pretty, and I have no doubt you will love her and have no regrets! My first Smart Doll was in "tea," but it wasn't long before she demanded a friend. That's when a "cocoa" came along.

I did not realize until later that many of the Smart Dolls use the exact same sculpt. The face-ups, at least in the early days, were quite effective in making them look different from one another. It turned out that my "cocoa" doll (Harmony) has the same face sculpt as my "tea" doll (Symphony). Later they got another "cocoa" friend, who also shares the same sculpt, but who looks completely different because of her face-up and eye color.

You'll be happy with your "tea" Smart Doll; and word of warning: start saving for Number Two, because you can't stop with just one! 😆

50156970103_115c1671f6.jpg

Oh, and... to keep this on topic - Harmony, Symphony, and Cocoa Mirai have all been discontinued.

Edited by davidd
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

jazijaz
26 minutes ago, davidd said:

The "tea" figures are really pretty, and I have no doubt you will love her and have no regrets! My first Smart Doll was in "tea," but it wasn't long before she demanded a friend. That's when a "cocoa" came along.

I did not realize until later that many of the Smart Dolls use the exact same sculpt. The face-ups, at least in the early days, were quite effective in making them look different from one another. It turned out that my "cocoa" doll (Harmony) has the same face sculpt as my "tea" doll (Symphony). Later they got another "cocoa" friend, who also shares the same sculpt, but who looks completely different because of her face-up and eye color.

You'll be happy with your "tea" Smart Doll; and word of warning: start saving for Number Two, because you can't stop with just one! 😆

50156970103_115c1671f6.jpg

Oh, and... to keep this on topic - Harmony, Symphony, and Cocoa Mirai have all been discontinued.

Thank you for those words, I will love her a lot and I'm already making plans for a companion if everything goes well with my first order😆 it took me a while to finally get my hands on a smart doll just like I did with DDs. I ignored DDs for like 10 years and then I tried to ignore SmDs because I know that when I get one I can't stop...but I couldn't resist this time!

Your girls are so beautiful! the cocoa color is such a rich color, I love it! hopefully in the future my next doll will be in cocoa. ❤️

Veravey

My first doll was cocoa <3 and she just got some glasses!~

1516429914_PXL_20210707_172226574663.jpg.d91e243e20d588ca953a29036e1e0d96.jpg

(excuse their undergarments, I'm in the middle of making clothing.)

Edited by Veravey
  • Like 3

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

davidd
5 hours ago, Veravey said:

My first doll was cocoa and she just got some glasses!

Those eyeglasses fit very nicely! May I ask where you found them?

Veravey
4 hours ago, davidd said:

Those eyeglasses fit very nicely! May I ask where you found them?

Of course! Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/812227514/new-design-half-geometric-frame-golden?ref=yr_purchases

I'm still new to the doll hobby, so I hope this vendor is considered "ok" and not a knock-off/cheap vendor. I know they're all over Etsy and other sites these days. The quality of the glasses is great for their price! 

I also got these round ones with lenses: https://www.etsy.com/listing/692055375/new-frameless-glasses-round-lens-for-bjd?ref=yr_purchases

• Thanks 1

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

HazelMaze
On 6/28/2021 at 5:23 PM, BeyondTime said:

Oh absolutely, I didn't think you meant to be disrespectful or anything.I hope I did not come across as harsh, it was really meant as "heads up"

• Like 2

Katsudon

Unity semi real is going bye-bye. Another cocoa girl removed from the roster. Grab her while you can! :(

Diversityyyyyy... plop. 😕

Edited by Katsudon
  • Sad 1

Katsudon

Majesty and Resilient going too! Get them while you can, again. And yet another cocoa girl gone. 😕

(Again, if any of these dolls are your dream girls, but you're short of cash, get them layaways from Fabric Friends...!)

• Sad 1

Katsudon

Oops, looks like I missed that Majesty is getting a revamp, so she'll be back. That's a relief, because honestly I thought she was really cute! I think I didn't see it on twitter, and only checked by refreshing the discontinued soon page 😅

I have that page open all the time XD hardcore fomo over here!

(Hey Danny, if you're out there, I'm really glad Majesty is staying around after all. Such a sweetie of a doll! May many more get to enjoy her beautiful, calm doll soul)

Katsudon

Independence tea is on the way out, despite being released yesterday. Kinda hoping this is a bug. Don't chance it if you want her though!

Katsudon

I missed cinnamon Fortitude going away. Sorry, too late, she's gone. 😕

Plumo

I really miss milk girls, I loved then, I do love cinnamon as well but I wanted to have a few on milk

Also miss crimson kai 

• Like 1

Katsudon

A tiny discontinuation - current semi-real Valiant is getting upgraded to a newer sculpt, so if you love how she looks right now, this is your chance.

Edited by Katsudon

Katsudon

Aaaand the same is happening to semi-real Liberty, so if you want her before she's upgraded to G07 then go get! :)

Katsudon

Justice is being discontinued! I'm really sad about this one because she's so cute :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1