Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Glitt3rgalaxy

Sun Exposure

Glitt3rgalaxy

I come from the world of resin and sun exposure is a scary thing. I would like to know if you also have to worry about sun yellowing vinyl? Does it happen slower or faster than resin? Worse in some brands or colors? Is it inevitable as they age over time, without sun exposure, will they yellow? 

mayaiincho

I keep all my dollies away from direct sunlight but my very first and oldest has aged slightly. Maybe 8.5/10 from original and that is about maybe a bit over 8 years. 

• Like 1

looking for - , Marisa Short Wig, full set Beatrice or default face + eyes & Sasara Fullset or default face + eyes.

Lina

IIRC white skin dollfies tended to yellow. With my SWS I don't think she's yellowed so much as the pinkness of her skin has mellowed out as the red dye has aged. So she just looks paler, but not yellow.

I did have my Dollfies by the window for quite awhile while remodeling, and while nothing happened I wouldn't advise it long term. Better safe than sorry, right?

• Like 2

Dollvari

Extended Sun/UV & fluorescent lighting exposure will affect DD’s. The DD white skin will always yellow somewhat, no matter how well you take care of it. That’s the main reason it was discontinued, I agree it’s the worst for yellowing. The normal & semi white skin hold up very well to yellowing. Just got a tan DD recently, have yet to see one of those yellowed. The most consistent yellowing I have seen for DD normal skin, is for the heads of some of the earlier limited dolls. I wouldn’t let it get in the way of you enjoying your dolls. I would say the Obitsu/Azone normal skin equivalent performs just as well as the DD vinyl. The Smart Dolls also do well against yellowing.

• Like 2

mayaiincho

Billy showed me his yellowed Saber once. It was hurtful for my heart to see our precious dolls become like that >.<

• Like 1

looking for - , Marisa Short Wig, full set Beatrice or default face + eyes & Sasara Fullset or default face + eyes.

samseramsamsam

Just out of curiosity, could they be deyellowed like resins? Eg with Crest whitening toothpaste and baking soda? 🤔

My oldest head is very yellow, but already arrived like that (used). I'd love to try treatments, but as of yet cannot bring myself to take the faceup off... 

• Like 1

Meowjima

Behold the ravages of what doesn't seem to be so much sunlight, as UV light and age on flesh and white  I was, however, very fortunate to see he yellowing is even for the most part, at least on the flesh girl.  The WS lady's yellowing is largely age-related, as it is very consistent.  Furthermore, the blushing on her face is a factor in the major discoloration between head and body because company photos reveal a potentially less flattering and completely intentional coloring when she was new.

Dolls age.  I believe there re ways to deyellow them a little.  I intend to have Kyoko's faceup redone and will hopefully see about that more than the hidden staiinings on her head.image5.jpg.

• Like 2

foo

Generally you don't have to worry about yellowing with DDs, they're completely different than resins. People have written here about sudden yellowing of their dolls, but that's extremely rare. Do make sure you keep them out of sunlight though!

The other thing is that Volks is constantly tweaking their vinyl formula, so you can't compare how old dolls have aged with new ones. The most notable change was when Rin Tohsaka v2 was released in 2016, her vinyl was so soft (like squishy) and very pink. Nowadays their vinyl seem to be much pinker when new (including semi-white skin tone), and they settle down after some time. My Rin doesn't look pinkish at all anymore, her vinyl just looks yummy.

I guess my point is that their latest vinyl formulation just looks yummy after some time.

Glitt3rgalaxy

Thank you all for this! very informative and I'm happy to hear it is not as bad as resin 😅 this is a load of relief. 

Glitt3rgalaxy
On 7/6/2021 at 3:03 PM, Dollvari said:

Extended Sun/UV & fluorescent lighting exposure will affect DD’s. The DD white skin will always yellow somewhat, no matter how well you take care of it. That’s the main reason it was discontinued, I agree it’s the worst for yellowing. The normal & semi white skin hold up very well to yellowing. Just got a tan DD recently, have yet to see one of those yellowed. The most consistent yellowing I have seen for DD normal skin, is for the heads of some of the earlier limited dolls. I wouldn’t let it get in the way of you enjoying your dolls. I would say the Obitsu/Azone normal skin equivalent performs just as well as the DD vinyl. The Smart Dolls also do well against yellowing.

Where do you get the tan? Are they only released in Japan, or is there and event that they can be ordered here in the US? What about MDD?

BeyondTime
46 minutes ago, Glitt3rgalaxy said:

Where do you get the tan? Are they only released in Japan, or is there and event that they can be ordered here in the US? What about MDD?

Tan is only in Japan.

If you mean a tan MDD, then only in Japan. If you mean MDD, then those you can get anywhere. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Glitt3rgalaxy

oh wow, so they are probably hard to find second hand. Is it by lottery, to be able to purchase them in japan or is their a decent ordering period for mdd tan?

abs2891
1 hour ago, Glitt3rgalaxy said:

oh wow, so they are probably hard to find second hand. Is it by lottery, to be able to purchase them in japan or is their a decent ordering period for mdd tan?

Tan is available in physical stores via Dream Choice from April to September.  So, if you live in Japan it’s not hard that hard to get but for anyone not in Japan it’s an issue as you’ll need a proxy to purchase.  

This guide should help explain Dream Choice: https://www.jadepixeldoll.com/dream-choice-guide/

• Like 1

Dollvari
On 7/21/2021 at 9:29 PM, Glitt3rgalaxy said:

oh wow, so they are probably hard to find second hand.

True they do not come up as often as the normal skin & semi white skin ones.

Also depends on what you are looking for, certain sculpts seem to not sell as quickly as others.

• Like 1