Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Luden333

What is a one-off?

abs2891

So, a one-off is a doll with custom face-up and clothes that are one of a kind (one-off).  Volks releases one-off resin models at various points throughout the year.  They can use any sculpt that volks produces, be it just a general head from their full serivce system like this boy who is F-96, or a named sculpt like Williams.  Their resale value isn’t generally significantly different from other dolls of their size/sculpt.  For most one-offs, the purchase method is via lottery and you can only enter by being in Japan to physically submit a slip at the store/event where the doll is displayed.  You also need to be a member of Volks VIP (entering is expected to expand to include GL member but right now it seems you’d still need to be in Japan to enter the lottery and receive the doll).  That being said, there are rare opportunities for them to be available online and they also appear at LAs Dollpa. 

This particular boy is part of the monthly release of one-offs that occurs in the Harajuku Volks store.  They are displayed for about two weeks and then the lottery winners are decided.  I actually got lucky last month and took home the charming boy below.

Note: If you especially like this doll, you could look into trying to track down his sculpt second hand as his is just a FCS one or look into a proxy to have a doll made using it (though my understanding is a proxy for FCs will be quite expensive)

431C43F0-93C4-400B-A00B-B29F4BDA7E85.jpeg

• Like 1

Luden333

Yeah sounds expensive geez, well I can always wish can’t I haha

yin8012

One-off usually is a Japan only thing. Volks USA occasionally holds special one-off event.

It's usually for resin doll only; I don't recall if there's any DD one-off before.

Poofiemus
5 hours ago, yin8012 said:

One-off usually is a Japan only thing. Volks USA occasionally holds special one-off event.

It's usually for resin doll only; I don't recall if there's any DD one-off before.

There have been a couple, but that was years ago. For example I know there was a one-off normal/flesh skin Kanu. I think there was a one-off white Moe/Natsumi? But that one was weird, it was DD mold/sculpt but done in resin, while the flesh Kanu was still vinyl. 

D'coord have kind of filled that slot in more recent years. Although they don't have unique faceup, they are Volks-curated combinations of head, body, eyes, skintone, and wig. They do have D'coord exclusive heads, so I guess that's also how they offset the lack of one of a kind faceup, but as far as I know they haven't ever used limited character heads for D'coord like they did with that one off Kanu.

• Like 1

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Galvatim

I know there was a tan Natsuki one-off released a few years ago.  One-off face-ups tend to be hand painted by Volks' top artists.  

There's a thread about some of the DD one-off dolls here.  The wigs, outfits and so on tend to be previous releases, but again, unique face-ups and different skintones make them truly special.  I want to say Volks holds charity auctions for them.  

BeyondTime
On 8/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, Galvatim said:

I want to say Volks holds charity auctions for them.

Yes, their charity auction dolls are basically one offs with a unique outfit made specially for the auction. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Galvatim
11 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Yes, their charity auction dolls are basically one offs with a unique outfit made specially for the auction. 

At least when Volks sells a doll for $3000, the money goes towards a good cause, and it's an actual one of a kind.  

• Like 1

BeyondTime
23 minutes ago, Galvatim said:

At least when Volks sells a doll for $3000, the money goes towards a good cause, and it's an actual one of a kind.  

Yes, but they’ve sold for as high as $40,000. 

AFAIK the doll heads on the charity dolls aren’t unique sculpts but do have unique face-ups. Their Belle was an Ami Ayase head for example. I think she sold for around $25,000, and featured her yellow ball gown from the film. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Galvatim
28 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Yes, but they’ve sold for as high as $40,000. 

AFAIK the doll heads on the charity dolls aren’t unique sculpts but do have unique face-ups. Their Belle was an Ami Ayase head for example. I think she sold for around $25,000, and featured her yellow ball gown from the film. 

Ah, yeah, I did mean unique face-ups.  Understandably, Volks isn't going to create a new headsculpt to use it only once.  

seraphicdolls

The Dollfie Dreams in resin were exquisite! I wish we could see more of that in the future - it is super unique. 😍