Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
cookimooon

Second-hand cigarette smoke - how much should I worry?

cookimooon

I will be getting my first doll soon (an Azone Iris Collect Petit doll, specifically), and while asking for care tips, I was informed that cigarette smoke can cause yellowing of the doll... they were limited in their knowledge on the topic (I'm still very grateful for their help!), so I wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with soft vinyl dolls exposed to second-hand cigarette smoke. I'm still very much new to the hobby, so cigarette smoke wasn't something I thought about... 

What I am most concerned about is the yellowing of the doll. I've been noseblind to the smell for pretty much all my life, and I do not have any plans to sell my doll or take her anywhere etc., so I'm not particularly concerned about the smell. But I am very concerned about the yellowing because, while I've read about methods to get rid of yellowing, those methods can also destroy her face. And I really, really don't want that! (I'm also worried about her clothes yellowing as well.) 

Here is some additional background: I'm not the smoker, my father is, and there is no way I can convince him to smoke outside his own house. It's unavoidable. Smoking is not allowed in my room ever, and my door is usually kept closed, but I know cigarette smoke is sadly insidious by nature, so the smoke will come in anyway. During the warm months, I like to keep the window open to let fresh air and sunlight in, but during the winter of course that window will be closed.

Also, I will be getting some Pure Neemo dolls (which I think are off-topic) and Sugar Cups (which I'm not sure if they're on- or off-topic), and would like to know if any advice/warnings/etc. would apply to those dolls as well. 

Sorry for the lengthy post!! I just wanted to provide as much detail as possible to anyone who may be capable of providing information/advice/etc. 

BeyondTime
28 minutes ago, cookimooon said:

so I wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with soft vinyl dolls exposed to second-hand cigarette smoke.

I quit smoking long before getting into this hobby, but I do know that cigarette smoke is very oily and it will deposit a brown oily residue on your clothing and hair. Given the propensity of vinyl to soak up anything, I can certainly see how it would cause problems for vinyl dolls. I wouldn’t let it near my resins either.  

28 minutes ago, cookimooon said:

Also, I will be getting some Pure Neemo dolls (which I think are off-topic) and Sugar Cups (which I'm not sure if they're on- or off-topic), and would like to know if any advice/warnings/etc. would apply to those dolls as well.

They’re welcome in off-topic.

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Tasuke

i have a grandma that's been a life-long chain-smoker, and i've had to stay over at her place numerous instances,

for a month or so at a time, back in the late-90's to throughout the 2000's

(thanks to her close proximity to a major university hospital where i could get my long-standing health issues addressed)

and, as such, had to learn to cope and adapt best i could to a cigarette-smoke-rich environment.

even so, i'm fortunate that, while both my parents were heavy smokers at one time,

my mom kicked her habit permanently back around the time i was born in the early-1980's,

and my dad eventually followed suit in the early-90's.

still, i remain only too acutely aware of the significant damage a habitual smoker's houses' atmosphere can do to both the people and the property within...

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 1

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

OccultBeast

Something else you might consider for your room is investing in an air purifier.  One will definitely help filter out as much of the smoke particles as possible 24/7, even when you can't keep your window open or your door closed.  You can Google for the best purifiers for cigarette smoke, but if nothing else, you want the highest CADR rating possible within your price range, and you only need a purifier with a combination of HEPA and Carbon filters; all the other stuff like UV or germ removal isn't necessary for smoke.  Even one that is less than optimal is going to filter something out of the air for you, and lessen the effect on your dolls (and you!).

• Like 6

cookimooon
14 hours ago, OccultBeast said:

Something else you might consider for your room is investing in an air purifier.  One will definitely help filter out as much of the smoke particles as possible 24/7, even when you can't keep your window open or your door closed.  You can Google for the best purifiers for cigarette smoke, but if nothing else, you want the highest CADR rating possible within your price range, and you only need a purifier with a combination of HEPA and Carbon filters; all the other stuff like UV or germ removal isn't necessary for smoke.  Even one that is less than optimal is going to filter something out of the air for you, and lessen the effect on your dolls (and you!).

An air purifier!! I had no idea such a thing existed! I want to keep my doll in the loveliest condition possible for as long as possible, so I will definitely seek one of these out. I appreciate the additional detail on what I should look for in one as well. I am very anxious about the potential effect of smoke on her so I feel some of that weight has been lifted. Thank you so much! 

• Like 1