Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

clowntown

Dollfie Dream Resin Match?

clowntown

Hello there!

I couldn’t find a post on this exact topic so I thought I might as well start my own and hope for the best— not really sure if this is the right spot for it though, sorry if it’s not!

Long story short, I am super paranoid about staining my DDS and despite all the measures I’ve taken to avoid doing so, I’m hoping to find a decent resin body to pop her head onto that actually matches her vinyl, at least close enough.

I’ve looked at the only brand I know that offers DD’s flesh color directly, SQ lab, and while I like the aesthetics of their bodies I’m put off by the lack of a bust joint. I’ve heard 2D Doll maybe matches, and I do really like one of their bodies, but I have yet to find any solid confirmation of that and they are way too pricey for me to just blindly toss money at right now.

Anybody here happen to know of a good resin body that matches DD’s normal/flesh skin— or have pics comparing 2D and DD? Any help would be awesome! :)

hellFlower

I can confirm that Dollshe's 2020 Oriental is a very close, almost perfect match for DD flesh. The vinyl is slightly pinker. That said, I don't notice any colour difference between the actual DD frame and the Oriental resin.

Dollshe's excruciatingly long wait times might be a turn off, but the companies they cast for, like Dollstown, seem to be doing fine, so maybe see if you like their bodies?

Lurks

You could always try one of the SQLab resin bodies, as their resin heads and bodies were originally made to match with Dollfie Dreams.

clowntown

@hellFlower Thank you so much for the info! I’ve heard about Dollshe wait times and yeah I’m… not a fan of that lol. The Dollstown bodies are super pretty though! I’ll keep those in mind.

@Lurks I actually mentioned SQ Lab in my post! Their DG61 body is pretty much perfect, but I can’t get behind the lack of a bust joint. :(

Doll Candy (I know they have an account here, but idr, so I can't ping them unfortunately) has a comparison of 2D Doll colors to Volks semi white and obitsu here. It's a bit older but the general idea is there. There's also some info about 2D Doll here on DOA. I had no idea Dikadoll does their casting, but if they still do, you could look up comparisons of their resin to DD vinyl for a wider range.

As for Dollshe bodies, they pop up on instagram under #bjdsales #bjdsale every now and then. If you have a DOA account, you can specifically search for them on the marketplace too. Soo no 2+ year wait time LOL

Lurks
8 hours ago, clowntown said:

@hellFlower Thank you so much for the info! I’ve heard about Dollshe wait times and yeah I’m… not a fan of that lol. The Dollstown bodies are super pretty though! I’ll keep those in mind.

@Lurks I actually mentioned SQ Lab in my post! Their DG61 body is pretty much perfect, but I can’t get behind the lack of a bust joint. :(

Oh, whoops! To be fair, it was early morning when I replied. I must not have been fully awake. ^^;

clowntown

@Lurks Lol it’s no biggie, I totally get it! I’ve made the same mistake many a times, trust me.

@rainglow Thank you, that’s great information! It looks like judging by Doll Candy’s posts on the matter, 2D Doll’s normal pink is a pretty dang good match for Semi-White and Obitsu Whitey. I did notice from another post also by Doll Candy that it looks like 2D Doll’s normal pink matches Doll Family-A’s normal pink also pretty well which would make it a decent Semi-White match too.

Now, I don’t own a DF-A doll BUT I do own a DF-H doll in normal pink and while I know there tends to be a bit of a difference in tones between the company branches, I’m definitely curious about if that match holds up. I’ll have to compare once I can get my hands on some semi-white parts, I’ll definitely share pictures then for anyone else who might be curious.

For what it’s worth, I’ve also recently stumbled upon pictures of a Dollzone Dollfie Dream hybrid that’s super cute and seems to be a pretty decent match as well from what I can tell. Just a bit more bonus info for inquiring minds lol

monkeypizzasonic

You can also request custom resin colors from a lot of companies like DF and DZ, if you want to make sure it's going to match.

Luts and Granado have options that match Obitsu whitey, which is usually around semiwhite I believe?

AlisonVonderland

My personal advice, from a background of having a lot of resin dolls, making a lot of hybrids, and having a lot of DD heads of varying ages (all normal flesh color) is that vinyl heads tend to yellow in my collection somewhat unpredictably, so definitely factor in the age of your head in question and work with that to make an informed decision. In most cases DD flesh color is going to be a workable match with resin bodies in the normal skin pink spectrum. Ones I've had that were the absolute best matches were SQ lab (made to match) and Lumedoll by coincidence because they have that kind of faint dusty mauve undertone. My friend who is making resin-vinyl hybrids also reported that Amadiz made a color pretty much identical to DD flesh, but that's just not a budget option at all.  If you are happy with an approximate match (which I'd say means it looks good when the doll is assembled with a wig and all, but if you compare head cap to body is slightly off) I'd just start looking at companies that offer normal skin pink resin options and go from there with options you like aesthetically and price wise. I think DF-A is probably a decent option I can think of (of companies that still actually exist and are affordable-ish). 

But if you are considering SQ lab it's a very good option for the reason that it was already designed to accommodate a vinyl head. What this means, at least with the body of theirs that I have is that the stringing/ neck construction is designed slightly differently from all other resin bodies I've seen to dramatically reduce tension on the head, which reduces/ eliminates warping of the vinyl at the point of connection. You can absolutely put a vinyl head on any resin body if you really want to, but it may involve slightly more work, whereas the SQ lab body is just made in the right color and constructed so that it's ready to go for you. I hope that's helpful!

Once again I want to weigh in on DD vs Obitsu that Obitsu whitey matches DD flesh much much better than it matches semi white. Obitsu whitey is a bit more yellow on my hybrids but it really does vary with the age of the doll and storage conditions, so I consider it a consistently workable match as opposed to Semi white which is visibly lighter and more pink than Obitsu whitey if you try to use them together. 

clowntown
11 hours ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

You can also request custom resin colors from a lot of companies like DF and DZ, if you want to make sure it's going to match.

Luts and Granado have options that match Obitsu whitey, which is usually around semiwhite I believe?

Oh, good point! I knew DF does resin matching, but I was unaware DZ did. Same with the Granado thing actually, lol. I knew Luts offered a match but I had no idea about Granado. Thank you!

And, @AlisonVonderland thank you so much for your insight! I know vinyl can be a bit trickier in the yellowing department, and thankfully the doll I have isn’t even a whole year old so I doubt she’s discolored any. I bought her a newer bust a few months ago and the match was perfect. The only downside with the normal pink I have access to is, in my experience, comparing the normal pink of my DF-H to my DD flesh is… quite the difference. Same with my Asleep Eidolon doll, though he’s more in the yellow spectrum, but still super pale. My DF-H boy looks like vaguely pink printer paper next to her. I think I’m kind of okay with this though, as I was going back and forth on re-shelling the character into a semi-white doll anyway and I’m willing to test the waters on shade matching with a head first. I do like one of DF-H’s bodies, and they offer matching (at least sometimes?), so if it matches or doesn't I can always grab one in either shade. This is absolutely going to be a matter of trial and error, but I really appreciate all the info you gave and your advice!

AlisonVonderland

Ah well I'm happy to try and help. I don't have any super new DD parts right now, so I can't give the best advice, (uh probably all 3-4+ years old by now) but I think if you want more help then offering a comparison picture of what you have with basically anything else resin or vinyl helps other people to get a good sense of the exact color and they might have a suggestion you might not have thought of yet that's really spot on. 😄

monkeypizzasonic

I have a resin chart of companies that do color matching - it's a bit old, but here:

bjd custom color matching.png

Twiggy

A LOT of useful information here!

Also, does anyone own a Dream Valley doll? They do very eye-pleasing body sculpts and I was wondering about their skin. I see a good numbers of head molds (resin and vinyl) that just scream about hybridizing (or maybe it's only in my head, I don't really know for sure).

For example, do their colors match DD or SD?

This is an example (taken from acbjd.com)

spacer.png