Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Twiggy

Methods of storage/preserving extra parts

Twiggy

I always liked to see how other people manage all the extra parts.

Where and how you store, for example, extra heads? Do you have a giant jar full of cute eyes that follow you as you move around the house? Or you have big cardboard boxes where you toss everything?

I saw little little racks to hang clothes and such, but they eat a lot of space, I think.

For my other passions I love to use ziploc plastic bags (I have a full drawer of them), they are clean, easy to ship and replace. And I use plastic containers like tupperware too, along with glass jars for something on display.

BeyondTime

I use parts storage cases that I get from a local hardware store for all the small bits that come with doll outfits and dolls. They're meant for nuts & bolts, and have removable dividers that let me expand them for larger items.

I use larger versions to hold some of the larger small stuff that comes with each doll; stuff like underwear and hands that's otherwise indistinguishable from what came with another Volks doll. That way I can always match a doll with the stuff she came with.

As far as stuff like blank heads and extra busts. Those stay in their original boxes inside of a cardboard moving box. If the original box contains a part that came with a particular doll I label it so I know which doll it's an original part for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

dunceclown

I like to go thrifting and get vintage boxes for each category (eyes, heads, hands, clothes in each size) it helps me remember what's in what by the box being unique : o )

Edited by dunceclown

Veravey

For my fashion dolls (non-resin and vinyl collections) I have all clothing that isn't out on display in bags to protect it from dust, mildew, and mold. This also gives me the opportunity to sort them per doll so cataloguing is easy.

For my vinyl and resin darlings, I have a small drawer unit dedicated to just them. Its actually a TV drawer unit but I liked how short and long it was. I just recently bought it and I'd love to share a photo but it's currently being used for some autumn cleaning, but here is the product photo from IKEA. It's the Besta series using the "Design it Yourself" service.

dresser.jpeg.980f71ad7cb7009085b82f8b56f33c27.jpeg

Eventually one drawer will be clothing/shoes/accessories, another will be furniture/non-worn accessories, and the last will be spare parts and on-going project parts. My darlings themselves will be displayed on top and I have some dioramas planned for them.

Inside, everything will be stored in some boxes I've prepared. I purchased them from Uline and modified them by cutting in windows to easily identify content. The window is made from dura-lar and taped in. I originally bought and made them to sort my TCG collections but I had so many left over and the worked perfectly for my doll family. This should work well for doll parts in the future too~

box.jpg.31976380f640eb85073a29e0aaf1db0d.jpg

2028484058_boxopen.jpg.2dcdccec853847bbe0623280b122f058.jpg

1289034078_fullbox.jpg.9bfeb08de4d204983046c992983877af.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif

SleepingElf
23 hours ago, Veravey said:

Inside, everything will be stored in some boxes I've prepared. I purchased them from Uline and modified them by cutting in windows to easily identify content. The window is made from dura-lar and taped in. I originally bought and made them to sort my TCG collections but I had so many left over and the worked perfectly for my doll family. This should work well for doll parts in the future too~

I love the boxes! That is such a smart idea for storing both TCG & dolls stuff.

I have a 'doll box' where everything is stored that sits on my bottom display shelf. It is just a basic snap lock bin. Clothes are separated into plastic bags by type and I have a bigger baggie for all my little accessories and knickknacks like those cute food erasers. My parabox & obitsu boxes are where I store my spare hand pieces and body. Those happen to fit inside the doll box, but if I get any more I'm going to need a bigger box lol

• Like 1

Veravey
19 minutes ago, SleepingElf said:

but if I get any more I'm going to need a bigger box lol

Story of our liiiiives ;;) I'm finally getting into Azone Sahra etc. dolls and my first thought after pre-ordering my first doll this week was "ok, where are the boxes gonna go..."

• Haha 1

MaleficentMrsofEvil
On 9/16/2021 at 5:02 PM, Veravey said:

1289034078_fullbox.jpg.9bfeb08de4d204983046c992983877af.jpg

Those look like underpants folded Marie Kondo-style...

Great idea. Thanks so much for posting!

• Like 1

Veravey
12 minutes ago, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

Marie Kondo-style...

Ah, how I do love her teachings @onion26@

I've always been into organizing but her book gave me the last few details and processes I was missing. And the manga version of her book is so cute! It summarizes everything perfectly and takes only about 2 hours to read.

Veravey
On 9/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, Veravey said:

This should work well for doll parts in the future too~

I realized I forgot to clarify something about this yesterday: these boxes are perfect for floating heads especially, when it comes to parts. Smaller things like hands and eyes would need additional organization in the boxes, but bagging them would work and you would still be able to see what's inside.

baldylox

I use those stackable plastic drawers to hold most of my smaller stuff like eyes, body parts, weapons, stockings, undies etc. I put full clothing sets into those large plastic bins that slide under the bed, I just stack them under the shelves in the doll room.  I also have larger drawers for clothing that is specific like maid uniforms or just shirts, shorts, skirts, etc.

Here's some examples.

JPEG_20200718_124308.jpg.4f441d56fc48d74df93fc33227b949e8.jpg20210718_105835.jpg.08b7e3198067f41c753d24e25425b9b7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Twiggy

I'd like so much to have an assigned room in my house where stash and build towers of stackable bins, but I'm not so lucky, I have an attic but I don't think it would be advisable to store there.

When I moved in my house, around fifteen years ago, I told myself that I'd use only the huge glass cabinet in my living room for my toys, and for some years I stayed true to my commitment and hidden away all the unwanted things in the attic. Now I have two more glass cabinets (smaller), and some action figures in my library. Plus, half of my second bedroom's wardrobe is inhabited by small toys.

I need a Marie Kondo in my life.