Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Jezrah

Assembly

Jezrah

I just got two of the chaos boy bodies in, and am halfway through assembling the first one. With much heating parts and swearing I managed to get the full legs, hips, and spine together in/around the lower torso piece. It took some trial and error, but I found the easiest way was to heat up one thigh and put it on the hip frame, put the hip frame through the torso openings, then heat and add the second thigh to the opposite hip frame (this is where the swearing comes in). Then you can slide the spine down in to seat into the hips. From there the rest will be easy.......... Except.......

That little part that slides through the hole in the lower back to lock the spine in place and for the stand to connect to. I tried heating the heck out of it and pushing, then padding and hammering,  but those parts are TIGHT and I cannot get them together. I can't easily twist them without causing too Mark's, and once you get it in so far there are grooves to keep it lined up straight anyway. The hammering didn't work because it just moves on me. Has anyone ever taken apart or assembled the little stand insert part before and have any tips? Maybe with a cortex kit? I gave up for now because my hands hurt and I ran out of ideas, but it's a puzzle that's going to bother me.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

BeyondTime
5 minutes ago, Jezrah said:

That little part that slides through the hole in the lower back to lock the spine in place and for the stand to connect to.

If your issue is getting it through the vinyl, then can you sand the vinyl a bit? If it’s the plastic parts won’t mesh you could sand those as well, but be careful of taking off to much. I would definitely try fitting plastic together outside the body, just don’t push them in so far that they lock. If they fit outside the body then you have a better idea of where the issue is. 

Sorry if any of this is stuff you already tried.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Jezrah
4 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

If your issue is getting it through the vinyl, then can you sand the vinyl a bit? If it’s the plastic parts won’t mesh you could sand those as well, but be careful of taking off to much. I would definitely try fitting plastic together outside the body, just don’t push them in so far that they lock. If they fit outside the body then you have a better idea of where the issue is. 

Sorry if any of this is stuff you already tried.

It's the plastic parts not going together. They don't even go together easily on the outside of the body. As a last resort I can try sanding, I was just a little nervous to ho there since I can't put material back easily. I would probably send the inside of the hole on the spine part, since the little part that plugs into it seems too thin to take away material and keep stability. 

BeyondTime
11 minutes ago, Jezrah said:

As a last resort I can try sanding

Have you looked inside for flashing or seam lines? If you see issues there, then a hobby file would be the tool you want. Just don’t file out any interlocks.

Sanding should be a last resort. If you do sand just do very little at a time and then test. That’s basically what I did with Saber’s Altria’s faulty leg pegs. It took a long time I only took off what I needed. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Jezrah

There are interlocks about halfway down the length of the barrel so that the piece stays straight once it's in place. Otherwise it might turn when you insert the stand. That's what makes me nervous to try sanding. Maybe I should just full on stick the parts in hot water to see if more even heating helps. I was using a hair dryer, which is good enough for the vinyl parts.

BeyondTime
24 minutes ago, Jezrah said:

Maybe I should just full on stick the parts in hot water to see if more even heating helps. I was using a hair dryer, which is good enough for the vinyl parts.

If you heat two plastic parts then you’re potentially causing both parts to expand. Heat the one that goes over the other. You could try cooling the inner one at the same time, but you risk making it brittle. 

Jezrah

Ok, so I ended up doing a little bit of everything. I sanded juuuuuust a little bit out of the socket and heated it. I had kept the piece I was inserting in my mini fridge to cool it a little (not to freezing temps). And I also attached a felt pad to the head of my light weight hammer. I got the parts lined up, then inserted a 1x2 into the torso's belly to keep the spine pushed towards the back, then laid it face down and hammered the cooled piece into the warmed socket with the padded hammer. Et voila! All together! I don't know exactly how it's done in the company, and I doubt it's quite that, but hey whatever works. 😋

Oh, and a tip for inserting the macho arms is to have the pegs coming out parallel to the arms to get it started, then once it's connected with the frame socket fold it to perpendicular to twist it the rest of the way in.

I have one more body in milk to assemble, but I have to take the time to cut all the flashing off first.

Edited by Jezrah