Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
DreamDollDesign

Fabric questions

DreamDollDesign

I've been struggling with these questions for a long time. Really hoping someone can help me out!

I'm trying to find an online retailer that offers affordable (less than $10/yd) knit fabric and rib knit fabric that matches. Japanese school uniform cardigans have won my heart, and I'd love to find a fabric that will look similar on a DD. Basically, the same kind of material used in the Ribbon Girl set cardigan, or even Uzuki's school uniform vest's fabric would work well. Just can't tell exactly what kind of fabric it is. I'm guessing it's a slightly heavier jersey knit?

Every time I think I've come close to finding the kind of knit I need either online or in person, the color is all wrong. I'd love to find it in this color.

Also can't seem to find appropriately scaled patterned fabric (mainly navy blue plaid and Asian prints). 

I used to get a bunch of fabric from AliExpress, but it's gotten horribly overpriced in the past few years and you only get small pieces of fabric. Plus the shipping has gotten insane too. 

Thanks for any advice. This has seriously been driving me nuts for a few years now. 

moerunamida

I don't sew or know anything about it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt but maybe check out shops like goodwill or salvation army. I've 'heard' people who would make doll clothes would buy used jeans because the fabric was already worn in and softer to work with. Perhaps you could find a knit fabric you could recycle into doll clothes. I hope you get better answers than mine, however!

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

battrastard

Your question piqued my interest, due to wanting/needing a couple of cloaks/dusters/hooded overcoats in camouflage for a couple of my new Kiddos arrival story.

I searched Google, and found quite a variety on Amazon, mostly in the $12 - $15 plus range for a square yard. (due to "camo", maybe?) 

Dunno if this helps, but maybe more specific about the type/weave may give you better results? 

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

DreamDollDesign
1 hour ago, Deyja said:

I don't sew or know anything about it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt but maybe check out shops like goodwill or salvation army. I've 'heard' people who would make doll clothes would buy used jeans because the fabric was already worn in and softer to work with. Perhaps you could find a knit fabric you could recycle into doll clothes. I hope you get better answers than mine, however!

I actually have done this! It's hard to find anything really useable in my area though. :( I've found a few things, but I'm wanting to kit all my girls out in matching uniforms, so I want enough matching fabric for everyone. I'd also like to try to sell some uniforms, and people don't like buying doll clothes made with used fabric for the most part. 

1 hour ago, battrastard said:

Your question piqued my interest, due to wanting/needing a couple of cloaks/dusters/hooded overcoats in camouflage for a couple of my new Kiddos arrival story.

I searched Google, and found quite a variety on Amazon, mostly in the $12 - $15 plus range for a square yard. (due to "camo", maybe?) 

Dunno if this helps, but maybe more specific about the type/weave may give you better results? 

The problem is I'm not 100% sure what fabric I should be using. I still don't understand enough about GSM and even if I did, most of the time they don't include it in descriptions, even on official fabric retailer websites.

I think it might be a brushed lightweight or medium weight jersey, but it's really hard to say. Thank you for the tip about Amazon. I'll do some scouring and see if anything comes up.

Tried Etsy for over an hour and couldn't find what I was looking for at all, regardless of price. 

• Like 2

TomatoCultivator

Maybe these can help? I have a couple of fabric places I go to for various projects.

Mood Fabrics - has a great selection, can be pricey but good sales if the timing is right.  Lots of info on the fabric itself, swatches available (and complimentary for purchases $10 or more).  Extensive search options, but I can spend way too much time fiddling with parameters to find what I want.

Dharma Trading Co. - Sometimes has knits, mostly silks and linens.  Meant for dying so limited colors and good pricing.  Lots of information available. 

Vogue Fabrics - Has knit fabrics, also sometimes has matching ribbing (there’s a beige combo there now, the Koselig beige acrylic blend).  Not sure how well that might work at 1/3 though and its not that nice cream in the example.

Wm. Booth Draper - Linens, silks and wools.  Focuses on historical clothing so colors are limited.  The lighter wool cloths sometimes have ribbing; maybe some combination of smooth + ribbed wool might work?  

If its safe, and you have a fabric store nearby, I’ve had some success browsing the aisles and finding textures and types that work (bring a doll to check scale if you’re comfortable!).  If I find something close but not exact I record the information at the end of the bolt then use that information to help with searching the web.  If you’re really lucky and have a store with kind and knowledgable staff, they may be willing to help find or advise their opinion on fabric for a specific project.

I’ll also raid my and other’s closets (with permission!) and investigate materials.  Clothes don’t usually say what type of fabric they’re made of, but sometimes knowing the material or material blend can help narrow my search.

Lastly, if you’re a gambling type, places like Goodwill have online auctions that often feature just a bunch of material all together.  They try to classify them, but its typically limited information.  I have found a wide variety of material inexpensively for projects, but I can end up with something I won’t use that I may need to re-donate.

Since I’m terrible with fabric terminology, I’ve started keeping a fabric swatch archive with information on each swatch.  Especially with doll scale clothes that need to be thinner (something that drapes well on me, may be blocky on a DD).

Good luck!

-Tom

• Like 1

DreamDollDesign

@TomatoCultivator Thank you so much for the super thorough write-up! I'm looking through all of these and seeing lots of options that could work. I really appreciate it! 😄

Love your swatching idea. I'll have to do that as well. Should've done it from the beginning, honestly, haha.

TomatoCultivator

Excellent, happy to hear it.  I look forward to seeing your creations!