Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

OccultBeast

DD KAITO

frollywoggy

Just the other day I was sitting around and suddenly thought, "Man, I hope news on a Kaito DD comes soon!" Not because I particularly want to get him, (which I couldn't even if I wanted to right now haha) but because I know that so many people have been waiting for him, and it's just nice to have a special DD model release where I can actually recognize the character. I'm not afraid to admit that I know next to nothing about anime and while other people are excited talking about a new DD collaboration model, I'm in the background furiously researching the character that the doll is made to be so I can understand what you all are talking about lol.

Edited by Frollywoggy
  • Haha 2

"And after the artist has been long gone, turned to dust, the art remains." -Spiritfarer

Lightlode

Does anyone guess what the price range might be compared to previous vocaloid releases?  Also do they usually release other outfits for the vocaloids?  I know mostly nothing about DDs.

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Lightlode said:

Does anyone guess what the price range might be compared to previous vocaloid releases?  Also do they usually release other outfits for the vocaloids?  I know mostly nothing about DDs.

Likely $600 - $700 dollars. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

kalisha

I think the vocaloids serie are more or less 75k yens range price(no resales prices these are insane +120-130k yens for kagamine rin and ren) but maibe kaito as a boy will be in the 80k yens rank, they will released the zenbon sakura outfit like all the other vocaloids.

Edited by kalisha

Wasabi
6 hours ago, Monty said:

It also explains why Volks haven’t officially tweeted about these outfits, I assume there’d a copyright thing preventing it right now (maybe because project sekai is craft egg???), but this tweet is their acknowledgment that there’s something else new to see at their booth besides just a Kaito announcement.

I'm more inclined to say that it is either creating marketing hype (they want you to come to the event after all), or some sort of marketing agreement that the outfits will be shown later (either by Volks or another involved party).

Poofiemus
On 10/21/2021 at 9:15 PM, Monty said:

I’m not expecting him until April personally, that’s how it was for Luka and Meiko (RinLen weren’t until August though), and I doubt we’ll se anything earlier than that, so… marchish at the earliest? I think that’s when that Volks News drops, anyway. (Unless they want to preview him for his birthday in February).

I do think it’d be cute if he came out alongside another Higurashi girl so he mirrors Meiko, especially if it was Rika, since she’s also blue.

Honestly, I hope you're right about the timing, because my DDS Marisa needs a new body AND I need a new computer, lol. April-ish would be perfect timing for me.

I do think me getting the whole doll depends on the head--if he looks like the 25 head in Dream Choice I'll be disappointed, because I think that head looks SUPER weird. But if I dislike the sculpt, I'll probably look to get his outfit in a split and put it on Yuuri, my modded Kirito. 

Even if I do like his head, I forecast the odds of me redoing his faceup are pretty high, because characters need a pretty strong vibe to survive in my cast of crazies! :lol:

• Like 1

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Lightlode
7 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Likely $600 - $700 dollars. 

7 hours ago, kalisha said:

I think the vocaloids serie are more or less 75k yens range price(no resales prices these are insane +120-130k yens for kagamine rin and ren) but maibe kaito as a boy will be in the 80k yens rank, they will released the zenbon sakura outfit like all the other vocaloids.

Thank you both for the info.

NatsukiP

Do you guys think there’s a possibility for him to be released on a new body, or the standard DD boy body? Personally seeing as how safe Volks plays it, it might be DD boy, but they aren’t oppose to making a new body and frame to release with a character that requires it. 

BeyondTime
On 10/23/2021 at 9:08 AM, NatsukiP said:

Do you guys think there’s a possibility for him to be released on a new body, or the standard DD boy body? Personally seeing as how safe Volks plays it, it might be DD boy, but they aren’t oppose to making a new body and frame to release with a character that requires it. 

Usually their promo photos show the body type, like if he was planned as a DDSB the photo banner would say “Kaito x Dollfie Dream Sister” and not “Kaito x Dollfie Dream.”

I’m not 100% sure that held true for Nier. I don’t know if the Kanji under Dollfie Dream in the photo translates translates to “Dynamite” and there were two dolls on two different bodies. Volks could certainly make use of a vinyl version of an SD17 boy, but I always felt that was a long shot. They still aren’t producing DDP specific clothing and option parts.

--

It’s interesting that next year we’re getting two limited dolls of a type that normally aren’t available outside of Dollpoint: A tan DD, and a DDB.

• Like 2

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

TithorArgentus

Ppppppplease be preorder and don't make me pay all the dollars at once, Y'shtola got my bank broken :') 

yin8012

Hoping for Kaito to have a better fitting body too! But I doubt Volks would invent a new body just for him unless it's been an in progress thing for a while with their vinyl body improvement. Given that boys body is just getting more attention recently I have a feeling Volks gonna stick with what they have right now...

That_Dollfie_Dude
On 10/23/2021 at 12:42 PM, BeyondTime said:

I don’t know if the Kanji under Dollfie Dream in the photo translates translates to “Dynamite” and there were two dolls on two different bodies.

Do you mean this stuff at the bottom I circled in red?  That's just manufacturer copyright, "Volks."  It's nothing to do with the doll body.  If you mean the Katakana right above the word "Dream," that just says Dollfie Dream.

oie_lJPILeqnbo3J.jpg

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, That_Dollfie_Dude said:

Do you mean this stuff at the bottom I circled in red?  That's just manufacturer copyright, "Volks."  It's nothing to do with the doll body.  If you mean the Katakana right above the word "Dream," that just says Dollfie Dream.

I was referring to the text emphasized with a double exclamation point under the words Dollfie Dream in the Nier teaser. 

• Like 1

That_Dollfie_Dude
46 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I was referring to the text emphasized with a double exclamation point under the words Dollfie Dream in the Nier teaser. 

Oh, in that case the kanji is "Shidou" and it means "to start" as in "to start a machine."  Normally they'd use a different word like "Appears" or "Arrives" to emphasize a new product coming out, but in this case surely "shidou" was chosen because 2B is a robot. 

• Like 1

BeyondTime
12 minutes ago, That_Dollfie_Dude said:

Oh, in that case the kanji is "Shidou" and it means "to start" as in "to start a machine."  Normally they'd use a different word like "Appears" or "Arrives" to emphasize a new product coming out, but in this case surely "shidou" was chosen because 2B is a robot. 

Ok, so in the case of Nier they didn’t specifically call out the model of DD, but this could simply be because there were two different DD models and “Dollfie Dream” can also refer to the entire line of DD bodies. 

Ultimately, I think Kaito is probably going to be DDB and not a new model along the lines of DDB Tall, but we will see what happens. 

• Like 1

airi

I cannot wait for Kaito! Volks might tempt my wallet a little too much with him...😅

Although I doubt that Volks would make a new body type for him, I would love a DDB Tall!

• Like 1

Monty

I gotta admit I’m a bit perplexed about the expectation that he’d be a new body or a ‘mature adult male’ because I have never really seen him as a very mature character, more like a teenager, and in a lot of the official media he’s the same height as Meiko, who is only barely taller than Miku. It’s inconsistent but there’s inconsistencies with how -all- of them are portrayed across different media to the extent that there’s no ‘true’ canon which is why the Volks dolls are able to work so well with their own interpretations. A cutesy DDBoy would be right at home amongst their current lineup.  (That said I admit to thinking Meiko’s bust size was a surprise but that’s an easy change if anyone really cared that much about it)

Regarding the discussion about Volks announcing body types, I don’t think they’ve ever done that at the time of announcement. I’m pretty sure Kagamine Rin and Len were originally announced as Dollfie Dream too - Dollfie Dream being the blanket copyright term, not an indication of the body size. Once the doll is ‘properly’ announced with actual photos of the products tends to be when they actually say stuff like ‘Dollfie Dream Sister Kagamine Rin’ or ‘Mini Dollfie Dream Rena Ryuugu’.

Edited by Monty
  • Like 1

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Monty said:

Regarding the discussion about Volks announcing body types, I don’t think they’ve ever done that at the time of announcement. I’m pretty sure Kagamine Rin and Len were originally announced as Dollfie Dream too

I couldn’t find the original Kagamine announcement, but I did find Yuriko’s teaser and they did just say Dollfie Dream.  Even the official announcements are a bit hit and miss; Sailor Moon said Dollfie Dream and not Sister. 

Annoyingly the piapro website lists heights for all of them except Kaito and Meiko.

Noxxbunny
8 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I couldn’t find the original Kagamine announcement, but I did find Yuriko’s teaser and they did just say Dollfie Dream.  Even the official announcements are a bit hit and miss; Sailor Moon said Dollfie Dream and not Sister. 

Annoyingly the piapro website lists heights for all of them except Kaito and Meiko.

That would be because Kaito and Meiko are not part of Piapro's "character series". They don't have canonical heights or ages like Miku, Rin, Len, and Luka.

In regards to interpretation, Kaito and Meiko's designs are a little more open to because of that. If we just use the games as reference though, Kaito is taller than the rest of the gang, but not by so much that I feel he needs a new body. Honestly I feel like the rest of them should have just been shorter 😆 My Miku is on a DDS and my Rin is on a DDP now...so I'm not as bothered by the regular DD height.

For me, I see Kaito in his 20s, but only because in order to be an "onii-san" to Luka like he's occasionally called in merch to the younger 4 Vocaloids, he'd have to be older than her. Though I still agree that I think he's a cute character rather than a cool one. But the fun part of Vocaloid is how many different ways people can see a character. If Volks did somehow pull out the stops for a new body type...I just hope it would look good. I already don't love the current DDB body as it is because of how high the torso piece sits, doesn't look nice to me at all. Not that it matters to me in the grand scheme though.

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

I would rather Volks sell the male bodies online before them releasing another male body that you have to hop through a hoop to get and no clothes specifically for it.

Lynn
11 hours ago, rainglow said:

I would rather Volks sell the male bodies online before them releasing another male body that you have to hop through a hoop to get and no clothes specifically for it.

Tell me about it. How come it's mission impossible to sell DDSB and DDB online? Even bodies without heads if making a standard male doll release is some sort of rocket science? Volks, pretty please. You did it with DD Pretty. You can do it again.

BeyondTime
24 minutes ago, Lynn said:

Tell me about it. How come it's mission impossible to sell DDSB and DDB online? Even bodies without heads if making a standard male doll release is some sort of rocket science? Volks, pretty please. You did it with DD Pretty. You can do it again.

It may have more to do with boy bodies being a Japan exclusive except for the occasional limited or special event release. 

Damiensdolls

I’ve been saving the money for Kaito lately and I 100% intend to get him once he releases, but I’m wondering if having the money isn’t the hardest step after all. I was looking through the Meiko thread to help me set some expectations for Kaito’s price, wait times, etc., and saw this post briefly mentioning needing some kind of membership?:

This will be my first time buying a doll directly from Volks, let alone a licensed  character, so excuse me for not understanding these things already.

As someone who lives in the US, will I need this membership to buy Kaito? And if so, how do I get it? How much does the membership cost, and is it a monthly payment or yearly or something else? Will a PayPal account suffice or will I need some other kind of payment method? Please let me know if any of you have insight on the process of getting a doll from this kind of release.

I’d also appreciate any input on around what I should expect the shipping to cost.

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Damiensdolls said:

As someone who lives in the US, will I need this membership to buy Kaito?

From Volks USA no, but Volks Japan may limit him to GL members. GL membership costs ¥838, so less than $10. 

Not all DD releases are GL member locked, but if they do any kind of pre-order / lottery you will likely need to be GL. Just sign up a few weeks ahead of the release date because it takes time to process. Cart sale dolls generally aren’t member locked. 

I think you need a credit card for GL, and it does auto renew on a yearly basis. You can cancel it, but if you do remember to spend your points before they expire. Even if you don’t cancel, I believe the points drop off after a year.

Shipping from Japan should be in the $70 range. From Volks USA you can do priority mail which is a good bit cheaper, but I normally do Express for dolls, so about $50 for Express. 

One last thing. Generally speaking Volks Japan doesn’t allow PayPal for doll event releases, so you will likely need a credit card to buy Kaito. Volks USA takes PayPal. 

Volks USA is most likely to be lottery, but sometimes pre-order from Japan is also pre-order from Volks USA. 

• Like 1