The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

chef_mai

Clothing Comparisons for Obitsu / Azone / AP (+ MDD)

nanika
1 hour ago, chef_mai said:

I've been eyeing this Volks outfit for a while now and was reminded of it when I was reading manga and saw a character wearing the same thing.

I'm pretty sure the Volks one won't fit on Mai since the suspenders portion will probably be too long, but does a different maker maybe make something similar?

spacer.png64631109_ScreenShot2022-01-09at8_40_20PM.png.048f805e1c7afc99a01820de8b9976d4.png

A number of years ago Azone released some jumper skirts https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10294899

This old maid outfit has a similar blouse https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10234864

The Frill Skirt Set has a blouse with puffy shoulders https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10712120 (this one is still available)

nanika
On 11/4/2021 at 2:07 AM, chef_mai said:

Pants?

Full length pants are a no-go outside the official Azone ones. Your options open up a little if you're OK with cropped pants or leggings.

A note about AZO2 legs-- When the AZO2 body was newly introduced, Azone used their official AZO2 shins.  (I think it only came in the 50cm size; a 48cm version was never produced, AFAIK.)  They get a good bit curvier than the normal Obitsu 48/50cm shins.  You can find these on many of the older 50cm licensed character dolls-- such as Charlotte (Infinite Stratos), Takao (Arpeggio of Blue Steel), as well as Yui from the Happiness Clover line.  And I think Yui is still made with the AZO2 shins, even for her recent releases. 

Outside of Yui (the 1st Happiness Clover girl), I believe all other Happiness Clover & Iris Collect releases have switched to the Obitsu 48/50cm shins.  It seems like they didn't like the look of the AZO2 shins, as when they made AZO2 pants, they didn't even make them fitting for AZO2 shins.  At the time, I remember some Japanese Azone collectors lamenting the loss of Azone supporting the AZO2 shins 🤣.  

chef_mai

Volks School Loafers ($45)

Today, I'm reviewing the Volks School Loafers (MDD-size). These came with the Rena Ryugu uniform set but are also sold a la carte.

The Volks loafers are superbly made. There's a noticeable heft from the rubber soles. The shoes feel soft and leather-like, unlike the Azone ones which feel stiff and vinyl-like.

Despite being made for the MDD's smaller feet, they're larger and roomier both inside and out. Tight shoes are frustrating on Obitsu bodies due to their fragile ankles.

spacer.png 

(2023 Update - The shoes have started to flake a little, but I've subjected them to heavy use. Nothing else out there looks or feel as good, so I'm still satisfied with these shoes.)

Edited by chef_mai

chef_mai

Volks Halter Dress Set - Mini ($68)

The outfit comes with a lined dress, long sleeve top and a ribbon that I've left out. The material is felt-like and high quality. The dress uses a hook to snap at the top, 2 more around the waist and a button around the skirt.

On 48cm

Does not fit except on Obitsu (S).

Can't snap the back shut, and without the snaps, the outfit looks wrong.

On 45cm

Fits just barely on a 45cm. It's snug. Otherwise, the outfit looks great.

spacer.png

Edited by chef_mai
New images!

chef_mai

Happy Dolls Plus Loose Socks ($10)

Today, I'm reviewing the loose socks from Happy Dolls Plus, the same maker as Mai's glasses.

The socks are nicely made from the same materials I might find in a knit top. Conversely, the thickness makes them a little snugger when fitting into shoes versus thinner stocking type socks.

The socks are meant to be scrunched up and used to be a fixture of gyaru fashion before that fell out of favor a while ago. This is the MDD-sized one. They also sell a DD-sized one.

spacer.png spacer.png

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1

chef_mai

LittleWonder Wardrobe - Jumper Dress for Obitsu 50cm ($28)

LittleWonder is a Japanese store that sells everyday clothing in all sizes. If Volks' a-la-carte Blue Label collection were expanded to hundreds of styles in every size (MDD/DDP/O50/DD/SD)... that's what LittleWonder does.

It's particularly the 50cm/Obitsu sizes that are interesting since there's really no other store besides Azone makes this many styles specifically for this size (MDD clothing's hit and miss). Besides outfits, they also sell many pieces for O50 a la carte, and stuff generally stays in stock. 

This Jumper Dress is made out of a sturdy, twill-like material that's nicer than Azone's materials though not as luxurious as Volks'. It snaps using metal buttons. I would have preferred a zipper for this one, but buttons leave some leeway if your girl's a little bigger. The skirt isn't lined inside.

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 48cm

Fits great!

Mai put together a few outfits using the jumper + various tops + these sandals

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

This outfit won't fit on anything in the large bust category.

The jumper's sold in many different colors and in MDD variants

Edited by chef_mai

chef_mai

Azone AZO2 Striped Tee ($15)

This striped tee is an older tee from 2018 that's still available new if you look around. I was expecting it to be a recolor of the AZO2 Simple White Tee, but that turned out not to be the case.

For starters, it's noticeably taller. It's also cut differently, with a deeper, wider collar and a more pronounced waist. The color is more faded than I was expecting, and the fabric is quite elastic. Like most of Azone's everyday clothing, it uses plastic snaps.

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 48cm

The shirt looks nice on a medium body. It's a simple design, but if you're looking for a fitted tee for your 48-50cm girls, you can't go wrong with this one.

spacer.pngspacer.png

(AZO2-C: Left, Angel Philia-H: Right)

On 48cm (large busts)

Looks good. It's tailored right for this body.

spacer.png

On 45cm

The collar's a little oversized, but it still looks nice.

spacer.png

Edited by chef_mai
Added photo for AZO2-G.

chef_mai

LittleWonder Boat Neck Tee ($16)

LittleWonder sells everyday basics, much like Uniqlo does IRL. You won't find fancy outfits, but you will find single pieces to help coordinate outfits from other vendors.

This Boat Neck Tee has an extra-wide collar. Mai got it in white, but it comes in other colors, both solid and striped.

The tee is made from a fairly thick fabric, so it isn't sheer. It uses metal snaps at the back and has a small center slit at the back for better fit on curvier bodies.

The tee can be pulled off the shoulders for a cuter look.

spacer.png

On 48cm

The shirt runs longer, and the fit is relaxed. It's pleasantly roomy and pairs well with different bottoms.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've been watching Tonikaku Kawaii and felt that Tsukasa-chan's daily outfit was a pretty close match. :3

spacer.pngthumb-1920-888678.jpeg.92d5a9cf60bab76c1f2d37460bc5a34f.jpeg

The shirt fills out more on the AZO2-G and looks great too. Overall, I'm liking most of what I've gotten from LittleWonder so far, and this tee is no exception.

spacer.png

On 45cm

Sleeves are too long, so this can be used for a cute, playful outfit.

[]

Edited by chef_mai

chef_mai

LittleWonder Sailor Blouse ($30)

I previously put the MDD Volks Sailor Uniform on Mai with mixed results. The blouse's sleeves were too short.

The white AZO2 sailor suit has been out of production for a while now, so I ordered LittleWonder's sailor blouse as a temporary solution.

(2023 Update - Azone makes the AZO2 winter sailor suit again in white)

On the left is the Volks MDD uniform. On the right is the LittleWonder blouse.

1059047323_ScreenShot2022-02-03at8_16_08PM.png.cebb4be0613175413a6cf2c53686550d.pngspacer.png

Materials & Hardware

The blouse is made from a sturdy cotton material that's thicker than the cloth used for the Azone uniforms. It uses metal snaps at the front and in the cuffs. 

I'm not a fan of a front snap design (on both blouses). It doesn't match up with how these work in real life and introduces unnecessary seams.

The blouse didn't come with a ribbon, so I borrowed the scarf that came with the Volks uniform. 

The decorative stripes are too wide. It seems like a small detail, but on something as iconic as a school uniform, small details count.

That said, I'm still satisfied with the blouse. It's not the best design, but it's a readily available choice where the alternatives for an O50-compatible uniform are slim to none.

On 48cm

The blouse fits great (up to medium busts), but it runs short. Pulling the skirt up higher helps if that's an OK solution for you.

spacer.png

On 45cm

Sleeves are too long for this. Get the Volks MDD sailor suit instead.

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1

chef_mai

TTYA Training Shorts ($22)

Mai wears gym shorts in my webcomic, so I was elated to find a pair exactly like the ones I've been drawing on her.

I got the SD-sized one; they also make an MDD-sized one too.

spacer.png

Materials and Hardware

The material is similar to Adidas soccer pants; it's a thick, jersey-like material. It's not thin and breathable nylon like Lulu shorts.

The waistband is elastic, but since these are SD-sized (rather than DD) shorts, the waist is a tad large.

I'm wary about black fabric staining since it isn't lined, but it hasn't done anything yet.

(2023 Update: These never stained in my time owning them. However, TTYA denim shorts stained profusely until I treated them with washes.)

On AZO2

It fits well, but there's a little slack around the waist on the AZO2. They don't sit noticeably low, but if it were a crop tee, it'd look sloppy.

spacer.pngspacer.png

On Angel Philia (H)

Predictably, the shorts fit better on the Angel Philia's thick thighs and curvy torso. I've always imagined Mai to be an athletic girl who doesn't skip out on those leg sessions. This plays nicely into that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by chef_mai
I no longer own this outfit but am trying to obtain an MDD-sized pair now.

BeyondTime
59 minutes ago, chef_mai said:

I'm a little wary about black fabric staining since it isn't lined, but it hasn't done anything yet.

I have yet to have stains from anything TTYA. I won’t say it can’t happen, but so far it hasn’t. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

battrastard

From TTYACOM I have the long-sweater hoodies for both my Saber Alters, and I've seen not one sign of staining..

I plan on going there again for my MDD Marisa and Reimu, especially for light sundresses and t-shirts. 

And, you've totally sold me on a few pairs of these shorts with your pics!! 

• Like 1

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

chef_mai

Tip: How to get oversized DD/SD skirts to fit

Here's a tip for adapting oversized DD skirts to smaller bodies.

Typically, DD and SD skirts will sit on the hips (below the waist). This low-riding look makes outfits look messy and oversized since the skirts weren't intended to sit that low.

spacer.png

The Workaround

1) Grab a small binder clip

2) Take in the the skirt by clipping it narrower until the skirt sits around the waist, just below the belly button.

I take mine in by about 1cm. This workaround effectively downscales the skirt.

Binder clips don't poke through fabric or interfere with the doll's normal operation. You're not left with anything showing in the back once a top is over it.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Caveats

This may wrinkle the skirt if left clipped for long periods, so don't do this to ones you prize.

But if you've got a skirt that's oversized and want to get a better fit, give this a try!

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1

chef_mai

Nine9 Oversized Flannel for MDD ($34)

I got this flannel shirt for Mochi, but Mai will be posing in it today. They sell it in two colors, including this pastel violet/lavender color. It also comes in DD/SD sizing.

spacer.pngspacer.png

The shirt's made from flannel just like the real thing. It's not a thick fabric, but it feels soft and reassuring.

The shirt uses buttons rather than snaps. It's deliberately oversized, but the sleeves taper down to normal width for MDD. On Mai, the sleeves border on too short.

Length-wise, it's just enough to cover up a pair of shorts.

spacer.png

The shirt has ample room to tie up in the front -- it'd been even better if Mai wore a crop top. The cuffs also unbutton, letting you roll them up.

spacer.png

All in all, this is a versatile piece for casual outfits and more fun to work with than the Azone button-down due to its oversized nature.

On 45cm

todo

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1

chef_mai

Azone High School Bag ($30)

Azone used to make an accessories line, but they don't do much of that anymore.

They sell a Herschel-style backpack that I also own, but today, I'm reviewing the Japanese high school bag.

spacer.pngspacer.png

First off, I feel that the bag is on the big side. Compared to the Volks one and Gochiusa one shown below for comparison (sadly, out of production), it seems too big in comparison and doesn't have the right shape, looking closer to a gym bag.

The straps are on the long side, making it more difficult to pose well with like Ribbon does below.

spacer.png335347334_ScreenShot2022-02-16at7_54_27PM.png.784455f1917e601221aa2da69b4846e3.png

The build quality is just OK. While the Volks bag uses sturdy ballistic nylon and thick straps, the Azone version feels cheaper, down the zipper being the same flimsy one used on its shoes.

At least there's a hook for a bag charm.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Despite my reservations, I'm still happy I got the bag since there aren't any alternatives at the moment, but I feel that Azone could have done better on this iconic accessory.

(2023 Update - I sold this bag after obtaining the Volks one.)

Edited by chef_mai

nanika
7 hours ago, chef_mai said:

Azone High School Bag ($30)

spacer.png

First off, I feel that the bag is on the big side. Compared to the Volks one and Gochiusa one shown below for comparison (sadly, out of production), it seems too big in comparison and doesn't have the right shape, looking closer to a gym bag.

You are correct that it looks like a gym bag.  The bag was originally part of the Kazuharu Kina design: Kureha doll release.  Based on the official story from Azone, Kureha is a member of the volleyball club/team.  So that's why the bag was designed to look like a gym bag.  And gym bags tend to be bigger.    

Short official background of Kureha: https://www.azone-int.co.jp/?sid=hpc301&srs=105 (Japanese text is an image, so auto-translate won't work on it)

D9aS7T3UcAIPaS6.jpg

Edited by nanika
  • Like 1

chef_mai

Volks High School Girl Set / Mini ($53)

This popular set for MDD includes a long-sleeved shirt, vest, striped ribbon, skirt and socks. I bought it for Mochi, but Mai ended up taking it as usual...

The Shirt (on 48cm)

The shirt buttons up literally like a normal shirt, rather than with snaps. Buttons look nice, but they're a hassle.

The shirt runs short on Mai, but this can be worked around by rolling up the sleeves and wearing a cardigan around the waist.

spacer.png

reviewed it separately as a coordination piece.

The Skirt (on 48cm)

The skirt's made from a thick wool-like material. No other skirts in my collection feel this way.

The skirt can't slip up the legs on AZO2 or Angel Philia (H). It can slip over via the head. For this reason, I don't recommend getting this except for regular Obitsu 48/50 or Angel Philia (C).

spacer.png
(On Angel-Philia C)

spacer.png

The Vest & Ribbon (coordinated with other clothes)

I kept the vest and ribbon but swapped in an Azone 50cm pleated skirt and a AZO2 short-sleeved shirt for a preppy look that mimics Maya's high school outfit.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

The vest is made from a thick, sweater-like material. It's generously sized and could even fit AZO2-G.

Like most Volks pieces in this range, it uses metal snaps. One of the snaps came loose after a week but hasn't acted up ever since.

The ribbon is perfectly sized and styled the best of all ribbons I own, but it uses a hook mechanism. On some busts, the ribbon may be tight to clip on.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Despite my nitpicks, it's an excellent set overall for coordinating all sorts of school outfits. I'd hesitate to recommend it for AZO2 due to the inconvenience of the skirt and the shirt not fitting, but this would be a great pick for O48/50 with smaller busts if you don't mind your girl rolling the sleeves up.

On Angel Philia (H)

The top's a little looser, but the legs give a different impression. I eventually downsized Mai down to type-C legs, but this look works well for some characters.

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 45cm

Flashback to Mai in middle school. :3

spacer.png

Edited by chef_mai

chef_mai

AZO2 Zip-Up Hoodie ($20)

Finding hoodies that fit Obitsu dolls is tricky. The sleeves on MDD/DDP ones are too short while DD ones tend to be too big with sleeves that are too long. 

Azone doesn't currently offer a normal hoodie, but in its backcatalog, it's made a few AZO2 ones. This zip-up hoodie shows up from time to time on secondary markets. It comes in white, gray, yellow and lavender.

spacer.png

The hoodie is made from the exact same fabric as a real one. It's thick and cottony, but it isn't anywhere as plush and luxurious as the Volks one. The zipper is easy to use unlike the more fiddly one on the Volks.

spacer.png

On 48cm

Fits great -- the sleeves and hoodie are just the right length, and it's tailored to fit just right without looking too tight or baggy.

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 45cm

It's too big, but this can look cute.

[TODO: Add photo]

Edited by chef_mai

chef_mai

Azone 50cm Summer Sailor Uniform ($45)

Azone makes two sizes of sailor uniforms, one for its 50cm line and a roomier one for its AZO2 line. I already own an AZO2 winter uniform but wanted to get a summer version.

spacer.png

The uniform is made from better fabrics than the newer AZO2 one and comes with both a ribbon and scarf. My only complaint is that the navy blue fabric on the collar, sleeves and breastplate is more black than navy.

The scarf is Azone's standard issue. It's satin and a vibrant red. The included loop uses a snapless design that you thread the scarf through.

spacer.png

A closer look at the ribbon.

spacer.png

The skirt's narrower than the AZO2 one but retains the same length. Notice the color difference.

spacer.png

Overall, I love this uniform. Although many vendors make uniforms, few will fit an Obitsu-type body as well as this one.

On 45cm

Summer sailor uniforms have to be sized right to work, and this one's too big for 45cm.

I recommend the Volks Rena Ryugu uniform instead, but if you want a classic navy palette, dealer-made options are the way to go.

[TODO: photo]

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1

chef_mai

AZO2 Cut & Sew Camisole Set ($15)

This set consists of a thin, inner camisole paired with a wide cut top that are meant to be worn together. Although it's from a few years back, it's readily available on Dollyteria in gray and dark gray. The pink version is rarer.

The camisole is made from a thin & sheer tulle-like fabric and seems to be sized for the G and I bust. It's cheap feeling, but it's to be expected at this price point.

spacer.png

I was hoping to coordinate it with other outfits by having her wear it on top, like this, but that won't be happening.

796149975_ScreenShot2022-03-16at8_40_32PM.png.d0000f4b0609bcf95286b6779d25d6fb.png

The top's made from cotton and is cut wide. Both pieces use velcro to secure the back rather than snaps.

spacer.png

Although the top looks good on its own as a loose tee, I've enjoyed it more as a piece for coordinating.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 2

chef_mai

(Reserved Post)

Edited by chef_mai

chef_mai

Volks White Button Down Shirt (Mini)

I previously reviewed the Volks High School Set (mini) but omitted the long-sleeved button down due to its short sleeve length. 

The shirt is made of a high quality cotton-like fabric that feels like a small-scale Oxford shirt. 

However, it buttons up using real buttons rather than snaps. Buttons are a hassle.

On 48cm

The sleeves are too short, but I rolled them up. The shirt's a bit short, and the waist sits a little high. It runs tight. I wouldn't go past medium sized busts with this.

I found this to work well both buttoned and unbuttoned.

spacer.png
(Worn on Angel Philia-H)

If works even better in a school outfit where a tied up cardigan covers up the gap.

spacer.png

On 45cm

Fits perfectly. 

[TODO: photo]

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1

chef_mai

AZO2 Pullover Hoodie

This hoodie came with the AZO2 fullset I bought last year, but it's occasionally found standalone on Dollyteria.

This is strictly a pullover with no snaps on the back.

Although Azone recommends pulling it over, even supplying a "head bag" to assist with this, I prefer to take the head off rather than risk ruining Mai's hair.

spacer.pngspacer.png

It's made of a thin cotton fabric that's stretchy. This one runs large without feeling sloppy, coming down to a length that could cover up shorts. 

Vibrant blue isn't a color I'd pick.

Overall, like most Azone pieces, I like the way it looks and fits even if the materials are cheap. 

On 48cm

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 45cm

Color aside, it's a cute oversized hoodie and could act as a one-piece dress.

Edited by chef_mai