Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
chef_mai

Do Obitsu bodies stain less readily?

chef_mai

I got my first 1/3rd scale girl in earlier this week.

Something that surprised me is the material. The bust and torso are made of soft vinyl, but the limbs are made of something harder and more rigid than expected. I was further surprised that the hands & feet were made of a hard, scratchy plastic, as opposed to the soft material the little 1/6 Obitsus use for those bits.

This leads me to a couple questions.

1) Is this harder material less prone to staining?

2) Do you recommend washing clothes before using them? I'm mainly sticking to official Azone stuff at the moment.

3) Is the entire outer shell of DDs made of the soft stuff? 

hellFlower

1) I'm not sure if the harder vinyl is also harder to stain, but what I have noticed is that when it does get stained, it's been easier to remove than the stains my Volks vinyls have gotten. Like, with a bit of elbow grease I can buff it out with a magic eraser kind of easier.

2) I don't think washing is necessary, though I do do it myself. Though it's less about staining, and more about making the clothes look a little worn.

3) The DD vinyl isn't as soft as the Obitsu torso vinyl, it's about in between the hard vinyl of the limbs and the torso. Maybe a little softer? I'm not sure what head your girl has, but the Obitsu 50-04 head (and I imagine any head Obitsu casts would be very similar) has about the same squishiness to it that the DD parts do.

• Like 1

chef_mai

Thanks! It's pretty reassuring that the stains can be removed via other means than the more laborious cream/light method I've seen.

She's got a Dollce head right now. It's fairly hard material, and I'm guessing, pretty similar to the Obitsu head.

Tierparkzone

1) There are two different ways, manufacturers can adjust the hardness of vinyl parts.

One is changing the pore size, with smaller pores resulting in harder vinyl - which also is a bit more stain resistant. That's what you find on Smart Dolls, with harder body shells and softer bust and hand parts.

The other method is changing the thickness of the cast, so parts with a thickness of around 1mm feel much softer than ones with let's say 3mm. However, this doesn't affect stain resistance at all.

To my knowledge, Obitsu usually tends to do the adjustments by thickness, not by pore size. So your new doll most likely doesn't have spots where it is particularly vulnerable or particularly resistant to staining.

2) If I get darker clothes from a manufacturer I'm not yet familiar with, I tend to try washing them with cool water and a dash of laundry agent. If the water becomes all murky, that's definitely an indicator for unsettled dye in the fabric (big stain hazard before washing and likely not entirely safe afterwards). If the water remains mostly clear, the clothing item is probably fine (at least for short time).

Stain testing with some scrap vinyl over a couple of days tends to give more reliable results, though.

That said, I didn't have any staining issues with any of my (few) dark Azone 50 clothes yet. They seem to do a decent job when selecting their fabrics and threads.

3) DDs (at least the current f3 versions) use the same type of vinyl for their whole outer shell - with only minor variation in thickness. So they feel semi-soft...

If you're worried if they're more prone to staining, in my experience DDs and Obitsus are about the same.

• Thanks 2

Yumeiro
7 minutes ago, Tierparkzone said:

If you're worried if they're more prone to staining, in my experience DDs and Obitsus are about the same.

I'm glad to finally have a proper answer - thank you!

And to hijack the thread with another question I've been trying to get answers on: Does Angel Philia have all the same properties as Obitsu (other than appearance)?

Tierparkzone
8 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

Does Angel Philia have all the same properties as Obitsu (other than appearance)?

For all I know, they should have.

Except: Soft skin APs have very thin (and thus very soft) shell parts for bust, torso and thighs. This allows the vinyl to shift out of the way when moving - allowing for a somewhat increased motion range. In turn the shifted vinyl can crumple as long as the pose is held, which may look odd if not covered up by clothes. Stuffing the AP soft skin parts (e.g. with polyester wool) helps with this.

Tierparkzone

Ah - ok! Yes it does seem to be the same Vinyl formulation for Obitsus and APs, just thinner.

So staining behaviour should be about the same as well. You just want to avoid stains in the pre-blushed AP parts, as any stain treatment (apart from letting it diffuse over time) will likely nuke the blushing as well...

• Thanks 1

chef_mai

Now that my girl has a bit more of a wardrobe, I want to ask about socks since more so than outfits, they tend to run dark (navy, black).

Is it not advised to keep darker socks on the doll? I like to keep her in her outfits day to day. Should I get into the habit of pulling the socks off?

I've had good luck so far with my purely Azone wardrobe with nothing staining at all so far after a few weeks despite being worn 24/7.

ragnamuffin

If you don’t mind making another purchase, I recommend a body suit from Parabox. Another member recommended it and it was a perfect fit for my Obitsu48 S Bust. She’s pretty much in it 24/7 and so far no stains from dark clothing (although I’ve heard they’re not perfect at preventing stains so it’s still possible for the dye to leak through). You can put socks over the stocking, it’s just a snugger fit than it would be without it.

Tierparkzone
4 hours ago, chef_mai said:

Now that my girl has a bit more of a wardrobe, I want to ask about socks since more so than outfits, they tend to run dark (navy, black).

Is it not advised to keep darker socks on the doll? I like to keep her in her outfits day to day. Should I get into the habit of pulling the socks off?

I've had good luck so far with my purely Azone wardrobe with nothing staining at all so far after a few weeks despite being worn 24/7.

There's a couple ways to make sure your girl doesn't get stained from wearing dark socks for a prolonged time. As stated by @ragnamuffin, you can use a bodysuit - but you can also just put on white (or light coloured) socks underneath the darker ones.

Further, just as with other clothing items, some dark stuff still doesn't stain. It just takes time to test beforehand.

At least some manufacturers/shops give some info regarding stain safety of their products. That's why my crew mostly wears socks from Happy Dolls Plus, as they test their materials two months for stain safety. I also never had staining issues with stockings included in sets from TC-Doll (but their current lineup doesn't have much for Obitsu 50).

chef_mai
2 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

There's a couple ways to make sure your girl doesn't get stained from wearing dark socks for a prolonged time. As stated by @ragnamuffin, you can use a bodysuit - but you can also just put on white (or light coloured) socks underneath the darker ones.

Further, just as with other clothing items, some dark stuff still doesn't stain. It just takes time to test beforehand.

At least some manufacturers/shops give some info regarding stain safety of their products. That's why my crew mostly wears socks from Happy Dolls Plus, as they test their materials two months for stain safety. I also never had staining issues with stockings included in sets from TC-Doll (but their current lineup doesn't have much for Obitsu 50).

Thanks so much for pointing out Happy Dolls Plus... I noticed they make glasses! I've been looking around for quality glasses, and they seem to carry ones I like and think I've seen on Twitter. Are these the same ones shown on your girls in your signature? How is the build quality?

Alas, one issue is that they only take orders via e-mails and payment via bank transfer... this will be tricky since proxies generally don't like to work e-mail ordering.

Tierparkzone
On 12/5/2021 at 1:50 AM, chef_mai said:

I noticed they make glasses! I've been looking around for quality glasses, and they seem to carry ones I like and think I've seen on Twitter. Are these the same ones shown on your girls in your signature?

Kanata is wearing her Smart Doll glasses, but Chitose's pair is from HDP (Type S in clear amber).

ce993a5f609c126d8c4e197473df0bba.jpg

Ellie also owns a pair (Type 27 in solid pink) that she wears from time to time.

175c3bc72e58b30535be05e80f311881.JPG

How is the build quality?

These glasses are great! They are made from (laser?) cut acrylic - so super precise, with the transparent bits super clear.

The arms (Are these called arms?) are made from wire, with a bit of rubber at the end where they go over the ears and contact the doll head. However, the wire arms don't fold in.

Just note that acrylic is somewhat brittle. - If your girl decides to do a faceplant off the table, they will break. However, I consider this a favourable outcome over the glasses staying intact and scratching the doll face instead.

Alas, one issue is that they only take orders via e-mails and payment via bank transfer... this will be tricky since proxies generally don't like to work e-mail ordering.

It does seem, that they directly accept overseas orders if you are willing to do an international bank transfer. Otherwise, maybe someone on here knows a proxy who is fine with e-mail orders.

Edited by Tierparkzone
  • Like 1

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

The arms (Are these called arms?)

Apparently they are called “temples.” 

https://www.bantonframeworks.co.uk/blogs/guides/parts-of-glasses

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

chef_mai
3 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

Kanata is wearing her Smart Doll glasses, but Chitose's pair is from HDP (Type S in clear amber).

spacer.png

Ellie also owns a pair (Type 27 in solid pink) that she wears from time to time.

spacer.png

These glasses are great! They are made from (laser?) cut acrylic - so super precise, with the transparent bits super clear.

The arms (Are these called arms?) are made from wire, with a bit of rubber at the end where they go over the ears and contact the doll head. However, the wire arms don't fold in.

Just note that acrylic is somewhat brittle. - If your girl decides to do a faceplant off the table, they will break. However, I consider this a favourable outcome over the glasses staying intact and scratching the doll face instead.

It does seem, that they directly accept overseas orders if you are willing to do an international bank transfer. Otherwise, maybe someone on here knows a proxy who is fine with e-mail orders.

Thanks! A friend suggested I use TransferWise to pay them directly.

One last question I have is about the fit. I notice in your picture and the ones on the site that the S-type glasses sit low. Is this the only way they fit, or can they be nudged up to a more even position?

Tierparkzone
On 12/5/2021 at 12:02 PM, chef_mai said:

I notice in your picture and the ones on the site that the S-type glasses sit low. Is this the only way they fit, or can they be nudged up to a more even position?

Once the temples (thanks @BeyondTime) are properly tucked in under the wig cap, the glasses should hold onto the head fairly well. They don't need to rest on the doll's nose, so you can adjust them up and down to taste. I usually just find it cuter if they sit a bit lower.

Dug up an older picture where Chitose is wearing them a bit higher:

ce1eff0a512567f8700cf697fa775670.jpg

Edited by Tierparkzone
  • Like 1

chef_mai

Thanks! I agree that for many characters sitting the glasses low gives a cute & sophisticated air, but I'm glad that they hold on well worn higher.

chef_mai
On 12/4/2021 at 10:26 PM, Tierparkzone said:

Once the temples (thanks @BeyondTime) are properly tucked in under the wig cap, the glasses should hold onto the head fairly well. They don't need to rest on the doll's nose, so you can adjust them up and down to taste.

Got the glasses in today and love them!

To circle back a bit, do your girls wear their glasses constantly, or do you take them off when not in use? My girl will be wearing this full time, so I'm concerned about the potential for staining.

Tierparkzone
6 hours ago, chef_mai said:

Got the glasses in today and love them!

Great to hear! Which ones did you get? Looking forward to some photos.

6 hours ago, chef_mai said:

To circle back a bit, do your girls wear their glasses constantly, or do you take them off when not in use? My girl will be wearing this full time, so I'm concerned about the potential for staining.

Chitose wears hers basically all the time, Ellie only on occasion.

No danger of staining with these glasses - the pigment is baked inside the acrylic (not colored afterwards), so can't get out. And the temples have rubber caps so no danger of metal-oxide stains either.

While I do not have this issue with Chitose, I could imagine a fairly wide head may eventually end up with some small impression marks where the temples clamp down on the head. However these should be hidden when wearing a wig or easily treated with a hair dryer.

• Like 1

chef_mai

I'll take some better photos with my light when I have a chance, but I got the the S-type in red and put them on Maya-chan.

spacer.png

I'll be moving Maya's head to my 48cm azone body later but need to sort out some thing with the neck joint before I do, but I did a test for fun. Bathroom lighting, forgive me. >_<

spacer.png

I agree that a larger head would be problematic. I don't think it would fit on the rather-wide Dollce head I have, nor did I want to risk trying.

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chef_mai

Thanks!

I took some pics today in natural light. You're definitely right about the glasses looking cuter when positioned a little lower. I'm now tempted to order more pairs since they're so nice.

spacer.png

• Like 1

chef_mai
On 12/4/2021 at 3:28 PM, Tierparkzone said:

And this unfortunately happened. She was on the floor just propped up against my dresser for just a few seconds while I was occupied with a Volks item that happened to restock, tipped over to the side and face planted onto the carpet - no more than the height of herself. One of the temples snapped off.

I've taken off and put on the glasses dozens of times when I have to take the head off, and nothing's happened till now.

I think I can superglue the temple and the tiny chipped bit back on, but I don't know how long it will hold.

Mai is only Mai with glasses, so I'm pretty sad right now not being able to look at her without her glasses. :(

• Sad 1

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, chef_mai said:

And this unfortunately happened.

Doll stands are indispensable, especially if the doll is wearing anything fragile. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Tierparkzone
5 hours ago, chef_mai said:

I think I can superglue the temple and the tiny chipped bit back on, but I don't know how long it will hold.

This should work well. Acrylic tends to break off cleanly so the glued bit shouldn't be too noticeable.

5 hours ago, chef_mai said:

Mai is only Mai with glasses, so I'm pretty sad right now not being able to look at her without her glasses.

Don't be too sad. You're not the first person this has happened to. - I mean... ask me how I knew about this in the first place...

And then take a close look at Ellie's picture above.