Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

SonataAvalon

Background search if user claims it's theirs but isnt

SonataAvalon

I've been watching a ton of r/quityourbullsh*t on Emkay, and been thinking if this happened here a ton.

Is there anyway we can use a google search for an original creator on here if it's stolen? I feel like it should be done if it comes to pass sometime.

toughstermcg

I don't really understand what you're asking, is there a way to verify the original poster of an image if someone else reposts it? If that's what you mean, the usual methods would be the timestamps on the post, or maybe the old-fashioned method of taking a photo of the item you own with handwritten text like "hi DD forums on [today's date]".

SonataAvalon
15 hours ago, toughstermcg said:

I don't really understand what you're asking, is there a way to verify the original poster of an image if someone else reposts it? 

So like, imagine if I posted an image. And then said. "I made this/took this photo." But it can be found on another site, like Reddit, or anywhere else. It does not belong to me at all, since I am stealing another persons work. 

And no. I don't mean reposting it if someone wanted it to be that way. I mean just straight up stole it and is calling it theirs, without OC permission.

Edited by SonataAvalon
Trying to understand

BeyondTime

I don’t believe that can be done, but there probably is a lot of this sort of thing going on in people’s profile photos. Lots of anime character images like mine, but I don’t think any of us are claiming ownership. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

ChrisFhey

That would not be foolproof. What if I made the photo, posted it here, and on reddit / flickr / instagram / whatever but under a different username?

I think it would probably be easier to ask for more photos of a doll if you want to make sure it's mine.
If the doll is truly mine, I'd probably be more than happy to make photos of it.
If not, well...

• Like 1

Elagabalus
5 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I don’t believe that can be done, but there probably is a lot of this sort of thing going on in people’s profile photos. Lots of anime character images like mine, but I don’t think any of us are claiming ownership. 

I think it's different with doll photos, as they're from an individual artist/owner/sometimes customizer, so using a photo of someone else's doll as your avatar without permission IMO equates to art theft. Photography and customization are art. I see a lot of JP DD customizers pleading for people to not use their work/photos as avatars too unless you own the doll in question, so it's seen as incredibly rude. If someone doesn't own the doll or didn't take the photo that's being used as their avatar, nor did they obtain permission from the owner/customizer, then there's a problem.

If it's something like official art a character from a large multimedia franchise like Sailor Moon, no one's gonna care except maybe the rights holders gritting their teeth that they can't make a little extra money off of it. There's likely tens of thousands of people using official Sailor Moon images as avatars though lol 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Elagabalus
  • Like 3

Subaru

To be honest taking any image that you didn't create and claiming it as your own is straight up bad manners. People will not hesitate to call you out if you do this. (and personally I encourage it.)

Edited by Subaru
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Subaru said:

To be honest taking any image that you didn't create and claiming it as your own is straight up bad manners. People will not hesitate to call you out if you do this. (and personally I encourage it.)

As a professional photographer I know once said “My livelihood depends on people respecting my copyright, so I have to respect theirs or I don’t have a leg to stand on.”

I really should change my forum Avatar to one of my girls. XD

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

SonataAvalon
On 12/8/2021 at 6:48 PM, BeyondTime said:

As a professional photographer I know once said “My livelihood depends on people respecting my copyright, so I have to respect theirs or I don’t have a leg to stand on.”

I really should change my forum Avatar to one of my girls. XD

PFP's from where I've been on, the rule does not really affect this. I wouldn't change it. 

• Confused 1

Subaru

In a doll collectors community, people are going to assume that a doll profile picture is yours if it is clearly not a company photo. 

I’m going to be a bit stern here. You have already made it clear in your previous posts that you do not own a doll. I’m going to assume that you are using a photo of someone else’s doll that does not belong to you.

Many people, including myself, would be extremely upset to see their pictures used by someone else. This is why a lot of artists, photographers, collectors, and etc. have notices staying “Reposting/Reprint/Reproduction is Prohibited” on their blog or SNS.

Of course there are a lot of people, especially on twitter, who use pictures of custom MDD that do not belong to them. Just because others do it, it still doesn’t make it OK in my eyes.

I have had many many friends and people I look up to be hurt and targeted by reposters. So this is something that hits close to home for me.

You can claim that the artist no longer owns the rights to an image once a picture has been posted on the internet all you want, but that is just ignorance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

BeyondTime
17 hours ago, Subaru said:

Many people, including myself, would be extremely upset to see their pictures used by someone else. This is why a lot of artists, photographers, collectors, and etc. have notices staying “Reposting/Reprint/Reproduction is Prohibited” on their blog or SNS.

We do have a rule against posting content that doesn’t belong to you without permission from the creator, so that would include using another collector’s photos anywhere on the forum without their express permission to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sklurk

there is such a thing as reverse image searching, meaning you use an image and google image search or the search engine that's designed for it will attempt to find a match to it. It's not foolproof as the search database is only limited to what that engine has crawled, it will not include images locked behind paywalls  or anywhere else where the search engine bots have access to.

However, that being said, if you are found to be using someone's images whether you are profiting from them or not, and behaving like they belong to you or were created by you, that still can fall under plagiarism or theft of intellectual content, if you somehow profit from it directly or indirectly, like using it in an ad without permission that sells your product or services.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rajke

This is a familiar topic. I discovered a few months ago that some photo’s I uploaded (on another website) are abused by a certain company that sells recasts. (Someone reached out to me who found the photo on another website) And not only mine but also others. The website where the photo is abused is luckily too amateurish to fool most people but it doesn’t feel right to see your work on someone else his/her site. Creative Common allows certain re-uses but making profit using others photo’s is not one of them. Another problem: how can you get rid of these copies?
I agree with you all. Photo’s from others shouldn’t be used without permission. And CC does not mean that a photo isn’t copyright protected. 

Edited by Rajke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@onion20@   This is a signature.

SonataAvalon
On 12/22/2021 at 12:37 AM, sklurk said:

there is such a thing as reverse image searching

This is what I meant. Is this allowed?

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, SonataAvalon said:

This is what I meant. Is this allowed?

The guidelines do say the following: 

Authenticity and Copyright
You may not post content that infringes on others' intellectual property rights without their permission.

Edit: I wanted to clarify what I mean by pointing this out. The guideline is worded in a way that pertains to this forum, but the guideline itself is based on the idea of intellectual property rights. I.e. it's always wrong to take someones stuff, but the forum staff can only do something about it if you post it here on the forum.

So be careful what you do with images others post. Some folks may not want their photos downloaded and stuffed into google image search, so be respectful of the copyright holder.

I would make the observation that checking up on other people’s content shouldn’t be done without a good and valid reason. Checking to make sure your own content hasn’t been stolen is perfectly fine. It’s your content, so you can search it all you want. 

• Like 1

SonataAvalon

Alright. Thank you, Beyond.