Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Meggiekarp

Where did all the face-up artists go? (USA)

Meggiekarp

I've tried DOA, Instagram, Etsy, here and can't find anyone that works on DDs. All three shops I contacted on DOA either left me on read or said they're closed for good. 

I already have the head so someone like ShiNes is out of the question and with the virus I worry about sending the head off to Asia or the EU. 

Maybe I should sell the head and get one from Japan or ShiNes...

42bdad38462f9e0e55136363ad50c3e2540275d465b58e2ee287546278681177fbfb1c7dcde945f5da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd8070948bdbe670fb79df22c7754c819f8b53f.png

BeyondTime
33 minutes ago, Meggiekarp said:

I've tried DOA, Instagram, Etsy, here and can't find anyone that works on DDs. All three shops I contacted on DOA either left me on read or said they're closed for good.

I think there are a few on Facebook. You could try Sydia’s Atelier, Charlotte Face-Up, or Freya’s Face-ups. 

33 minutes ago, Meggiekarp said:

I already have the head so someone like ShiNes is out of the question and with the virus I worry about sending the head off to Asia or the EU.

You’re unlikely to get the virus from a doll head. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

ragnamuffin
13 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

She probably means shipping delays from the pandemic.

• Like 1

Noxxbunny

The season also may factor into it a little? I hear MSC doesn't take too nicely to the freezing cold temps and high humidity a lot of the US gets around this time of year. I wouldn't know personally since the area I lived in before doesn't ever really "freeze", but I have heard that from people in the midwest before. I would maybe expect to see people re-open for DD faceups as it warms up a little.

Edited by Noxxbunny

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

Misuka

Covid killed side-work for many artists. Unable to afford the beginning products (materials, paint, brushes, etc) to start offering faceups due to (probably) primary income loss or other covid-related issues, they closed shop, combined with insane post times (for even the slowest mail) and increased mail costs, it has collapsed as a side gig for the time being.

Selenae

@Bellatrix She is, but she doesn't work on vinyl (stated under her rules), and she's difficult to get slots for. They fill up really fast.

Edited by Selenae

Subaru

I think more artists are on Facebook or Instagram (and sometimes Etsy)these days.
However, more people are adopting the model of selling pre-customized heads rather than taking commissions.

I've actually have seen an increase in the number of people offering pre-customized heads and etc. during covid-times. 
Just keep an eye out and think of your own personal budget.

I don't have many names that I can think of off the top of my head but Maiya is in California and accepts commissions for DDs 

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

yin8012

Agree I think FB and Instagram are your best bet.

I do see a lot of faceup artist stopped taking commission during covid whether due to personal reason or just slots full. Some commission in Asia can be a bit cheaper than EU or North America though. I think also due to Covid, some artist who used to live in the US also went back to their own country.

chef_mai

If you can't find someone stateside, you might be best off selling the blank head and doing a commission with Shines (or someone similar). That's the direction I'm now leaning in myself.

I was originally going to split a Dream Choice, but it's been really challenging finding someone ready to commit, even if I mitigate all the risk on my end. And truth be told, the price of a custom faceup is about the same, so it's really mostly down to how much I care about a DC-exclusive head and faceup.

abs2891
On 1/14/2022 at 6:32 PM, Selenae said:

@Bellatrix She is, but she doesn't work on vinyl (stated under her rules), and she's difficult to get slots for. They fill up really fast.

I think the no vinyl rule is about not doing Barbie and similar because she’s got a price under her pricing for DD.  That being said, doesn’t solve the problem of having to be quick to get a spot :(

• Like 1

Meggiekarp
On 1/14/2022 at 1:25 AM, BeyondTime said:

I think there are a few on Facebook. You could try Sydia’s Atelier, Charlotte Face-Up, or Freya’s Face-ups. 

I meant shipping delays or issues with the post services because of how the virus has messed everything up. 

42bdad38462f9e0e55136363ad50c3e2540275d465b58e2ee287546278681177fbfb1c7dcde945f5da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd8070948bdbe670fb79df22c7754c819f8b53f.png