The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

chef_mai

Dollypop 3-piece torsos for Obitsu (NSFW)

chef_mai

(Disclaimer: I'm a customer with no affiliation with the company. I no longer own these parts as of 2023.)

What does Dollypop make?

Dollypop makes aftermarket outer skin parts for Obitsu-based dolls, most notably:

• A 3-piece torso that greatly improves upper-body flexibility for posing
  • Thick thighs similar to those found on AZO2 and Angel Philia
  • Pre-assembled 48/50cm Obitsu bodies with said parts

Dollypop's parts are made from a moderately soft, thin vinyl similar to what Obitsu offered prior to the switch to semi-rigid vinyl. The softness is key to achieving the flexibility that's advertised. Like Azone and Angel Philia, Dollypop contracts out production to Obitsu.

Who's this for?

Dollypop caters to a few specific needs:

• Those who want a more flexible, poseable doll
  • Those who want a curvy doll similar to AZO2 or Angel Philia.

3-piece Torsos

Dollypop's main product is a modular 3-piece torso consisting of:

• Chest parts ("bust")
  • Abdominal/belly parts ("abs")
  • Hip parts ("hips")

The pieces are sold separately to let you mix and match for your needs. 

Dollfie, Obitsu and Smart Doll offer 2-piece torsos that split between the chest and lower torso (abs + hips) for a balance between aesthetics and flexibility.

spacer.png spacer.png

Dollypop splits that lower torso piece into 2 separate parts (abs + hips) for better flexibility when bending the torso around the waist. This comes at the expense of aesthetics, and if that matters a lot, seamless silicone dolls are probably what you'd want to look at, but they have their own set of challenges.

1009259129_ScreenShot2022-01-23at11_36_52PM.png.93a5d7e9754c4ef2eaf0d0302c2c59f2.png + 453586853_ScreenShot2022-01-23at11_37_00PM.png.ba1e06c6c092c8d6e2d015ddd7911607.png = 112008622_ScreenShot2022-01-20at2_27_49PM.png.31b4a6e40360a426d48d7ff5910f2066.png

One noticeable gain in flexibility is in bending the waist and sitting down without the doll reclining or losing the pose, as it often does with AZO2 in particular. However, a sitting pose with the legs folded in, while improved over before, isn't as flexible as it could be.

However, the biggest gains are in the torso itself. By increasing the pivot points to two, this allows each part of the torso to pivot INDEPENDENTLY from each other.

In the middle photo, I'm rotating everything above the hips. In the third, I'm rotating the waist to the right, then rotating the bust back to the left for a an expressive, "S" shaped pose. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
(Sorry for the underwear choice. I didn't have something suitable at the time of this post.)

Hip/Waist Measurements

Dollypop torsos have slimmer waists for improved flexibility. Because of this, loose or high waisted bottoms may sit low, directly on the hips.

15316426_ScreenShot2022-01-23at11_55_08PM.png.2e8fa55687ca99023da98002278cf10c.png

The 60cm hip part is used in lieu of the 50cm hips if you want a "curvy" girl or are converting from AZO2. However, you must still use the 50cm abs part to connect to 50cm busts -- the 60cm version won't fit.

Busts

Dollypop offers 5 bust sizes (50SS - 50SL - 50ML - 50L - 50 Huge).

Although the busts will nominally attach to Obitsu and AZO2 torsos, they may gap or do strange things when the torso is bent due to a shorter height.

This table tells you roughly what bust is equivalent to one you already have from the perspective of clothing fit. For example, a 50ML will fit like an Obitsu Medium / AZO2-C.

2040350450_ScreenShot2022-01-24at12_13_16AM.png.eda6f3599c982817f83b87fedd41a5c4.png

Thick Thighs

Dollypop sells thick thighs similar to ones by Azone (AZO2) and Angel Philia. They're similar in thickness to AP type-H but appear slender due to a gentler curve and longer length (1cm longer than 50cm Obitsu).

Besides the added girth, the Dollypop thighs improve the range of motion in the lateral direction (side to side) to match up with what a human can do. It's much easier to swing the shins to the side when seated.

Because the thighs are made from soft vinyl, they deform, making them more apt for poses where the legs or shins touch. However, if you want the most flexibility to squat or kneel, this isn't it. 

Dollypop thighs can only be attached to the Dollypop 60cm hip part (as well as Angel Philia C/H torsos). They won't attach to the 50cm hip part or to a vanilla Obitsu or AZO2 torso without heavy modifications.

Now for some pics with Mai! The longer length and curvier cut looks great with a mini-skirt. The longer legs give a different impression.

spacer.pngspacer.png

As expected, the thighs fill out shorts better too, to the point where she has trouble slipping into her Azone pair of denim shorts. On the left is AZO2, and on the right is with the Dollypop thighs.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Buying Guide

(Prices are an estimate. The exchange rate fluctuates, and prices have risen since writing this post.)

1922582478_ScreenShot2022-01-24at12_21_22AM.png.8c5b2c84de288925c0070515b8c3c501.png

How to Buy

Dollypop ships overseas via EMS and Surface. They accept Paypal or Bank Transfer.

They only take orders via e-mail, but the owner is friendly, responsive and will send you back a response in translated English.

The website uses frame-based navigation. Open the individual pages in a separate tab to translate them. 

Website
Catalog
Contact / Order Information
Twitter

Here is an e-mail template you can use. Pick your desired bust and hip size in the entries with brackets.

Hi, I'd like to place an order.

- 1x [50SS / 50SL / 50ML / 50L / 50爆乳] (chest parts)
- 1x 50腹 (belly)
- 1x [50腰 / 60腰] (hips)
- 1x [太腿] (thighs) <-- DELETE THIS IF NOT BUYING

Name:
Address:
Payment: [Paypal or Bank Transfer]
Shipping: [EMS or Surface]

Thanks!

Need Help?

Ask here first if you have simple questions. Those of us who own Dollypop part will do our best to answer them. 

If we fail to get you an answer, e-mail the owner. They communicate in Japanese and will e-mail back a response both in Japanese and machine-translated English.

How to Install the Parts

In short, it's easiest to install if you disassemble your doll. I did not need a blow dryer, but you may need one to remove the existing parts. You do not need it to insert the DP parts since they are already so soft.

1. Remove the head.
  2. Remove the arms, then the bust.
  3. Detach the chest skeleton part from the spine. Use a twisting motion. This makes the abs/belly part EASIER TO INSTALL.
  4. Detach the knee / shins / feet from the thighs.
  5. Remove the thigh skin from the hip joint. This may require a blow dryer. You could instead remove the entire thigh instead, then the skin, but I've found that the groin joint has a tendency to fracture when doing this.
  6. Now, you're left with the torso and spine. First, remove the 2 hip joints.
  7. Then, this is the hardest part. Remove the torso skin from skeleton. What worked for me was getting one peg side inside the skin, then pulling out the rest from there. 

Now, you've disassembled your doll.

1. First, insert the hip skin around the skeleton (the reverse of step 7). This will be considerably easier!
  2. Then insert the belly skin over the spine.
  3. Re-attach the chest skeleton part. The sternum will sit over the belly skin.
  4. Now, insert the bust. Then the arms and head.
  5. Finally re-assemble the legs by putting back the 2 hip joints, the thigh skin, then finally the knee joint.

Further Reading (I ended up not following this, but this can be useful):
https://dolliehsanctuary.com/sanctuary/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11764

Troubleshooting

I can't attach the Dollypop thighs, or they have a tendency to fall off.
On a 48cm body or even a 50cm body, the thighs may easily detach. If your doll is 48cm, you'll need to buy a replacement knee joint. If your doll's 50cm or you already have said knee joint, adjust the "upper bone's" position -- pull out the upper rod from the knee joint and re-insert it shallowly.

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

chef_mai

After a month in transit, the parts have arrived. I've overhauled the original post with my own photos.

A few first observations...

• The vinyl is every bit as soft as the original Obitsu formula, perhaps even a little softer and thinner. I'm super impressed.
  • Unfortunately, there's color variance from the (hard vinyl) parts on Mai. The new parts are lighter and less peachy. It's more noticeable in natural light.
  • The bust I got runs bigger than expected - I was expecting it to be pretty similar, but it's not a bad thing... she fits a little better across the board without looking too different in clothes. Mai's going to need a new bra, and I wonder if the SS-sized DD one is a good candidate for something a little nicer, or will it be too roomy?
  • Mai can finally sit properly. With the AZO2 body, she'd always lean back a few degrees right away. 

Besides the flexibility of the 3-piece torso, the thighs are a highlight. They're super-soft while being thicker than the AZO2 ones. I see why AP owners really like their soft limbed-dolls.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

chef_mai

I initially said that I didn't notice much of a difference in shorts, but that was with the looser TTYA pair.

When Mai tried to get into her favorite pair of denims, they went from getting up pretty easily to barely slipping in. They were a challenge to get off. I'll check the tape measure tomorrow, but I was told it was 16cm.

spacer.pngspacer.png

chef_mai

Now for something I wanted to share... it's about vinyl thicknesses since I asked about it in the Angel Philia topic.

From left to right is Dollypop, AZO2-G, Obitsu L and AZO2-C.

The Dollypop vinyl is clearly the thinnest of all with the AZO2's being pretty close in thickness to the Obitsu. The Dollypop vinyl is the most flexible of what I've gotten so far, more so than the AZO2's which are still soft. The Obitsu is "semi-rigid" but for all intents and purpose, it's rigid.

spacer.png

(I don't need this many, so it's highly likely that I'll be unloading some soon.)

• Thanks 1

nanika

Any new Azone bust parts will be semi-rigid, just like the Obitsu one you have.  Older Obitsu busts are soft, just like the old Azone AZO2 busts.  Basically the change to semi-rigid body parts affected Obitsu and Azone at the same time.  

If the AZO2 busts that you have are both soft, then I'm guessing that the AZO2 body that you got for Mai is one of the older ones that has the rigid arms & legs.  The newer AZO2 bodies are slightly softer-- they have semi-rigid arms & legs, allowing for slightly better posing.  

• Like 1

chef_mai
11 minutes ago, nanika said:

Any new Azone bust parts will be semi-rigid, just like the Obitsu one you have.  Older Obitsu busts are soft, just like the old Azone AZO2 busts.  Basically the change to semi-rigid body parts affected Obitsu and Azone at the same time.  

If the AZO2 busts that you have are both soft, then I'm guessing that the AZO2 body that you got for Mai is one of the older ones that has the rigid arms & legs.  The newer AZO2 bodies are slightly softer-- they have semi-rigid arms & legs, allowing for slightly better posing.  

My second doll (Azone 45cm, Aug 2019) that I sourced Mai's head from definitely has a soft bust/torso but the arms and legs seem to be semi-rigid. I don't know if this is possible or if I'm misinterpreting the parts, but they feel distinctly different from the limbs on Mai's body (AZO2-C, late June 2019).

(Dates given are based off 1999's site. I acquired both off Mandarake last year.)

My only basis for comparison though is the Obistu L bust I have that I got in late 2021. It's quite rigid but with deliberate force, will give just a little bit. That's opposed to true-rigid pieces (like Mai's old thighs, shins, arms) which seem 100% rigid and don't give at all.

nanika

Looks like I might be wrong regarding the AZT8-45 bodies-- it looks like they did have the semi-rigid skins from the start.

Obitsu had announced the change in going from rigid to semi-rigid (for arms & legs) in August 2019.  They didn't have a definite date, as the changeover would take time to fully implement.   

Maya from "Is the Order a Rabbit" was released in August 2019.  (So the bodies were made before the announcement, but regardless, the AZT8-45 bodies already had the softer arms/legs.)  (I happen to own her too. 😁)  Being the AZT8-45 body, she does have the soft bust and semi-rigid arms/legs.

The Kazuharu Kina Nanaka was released in June 2019.  So she was definitely made before the changeover.  Being an AZO2 body, she has the soft bust and rigid arms/legs.  

----------------

Now after the changeover in skin types by Obitsu: (starting ~late 2019-- ~Nov/Dec releases)

The AZO2 body has a semi-rigid bust, torso, & arms & legs.  Bust/torso went from Soft->Semi-rigid.  Arms/legs went from Rigid->Semi-rigid

As for the AZT8-45 body, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing only the Bust/torso changed to Semi-rigid, as the Arms/legs were already Semi-rigid.  (I'll have to see if I have a 45cm Azone doll to verify this with.)

----------------

Below are images from Obitsu regarding the switch to semi-rigid for arms & legs.  

For each comparison picture, the old rigid skins are on the left, and the new semi-rigid skins are on the right.  

max_50slash01.jpg

max_50slash02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chef_mai

That last picture is super helpful! My Azone 45cm has leg openings consistent with the lower right pic.

I can't get the knee to bend like the upper-right hand corner of the pic though, but with some forcing, I could get my 45cm down this low. The knee joint partly pops out at this point. And to be fair, the 45's flexibility is helped by its slender limbs.

spacer.png

Poor Mai, even with all the DP parts, still only gets this far before the joint completely detaches. 

spacer.png

Edited by chef_mai

chef_mai

---

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1

Cydril

Hi! Thanks for posting this!! Its super helpful :)

Do you know if they make parts in different skin tones, or do they only do whitey?

I have a super white 50cm girl, I was wondering if I could get these parts for her.

Edited by Cydril
  • Like 1

chef_mai
4 hours ago, Cydril said:

Hi! Thanks for posting this!! Its super helpful :)

Do you know if they make parts in different skin tones, or do they only do whitey?

I have a super white 50cm girl, I was wondering if I could get these parts for her.

Just in whitey.

However, I find that the tone is somewhat lighter or paler than typical Obitsu whitey, especially around the thigh -> kneecap -> shins transition where it was noticeable enough that I had Mai wear over-knee socks to conceal it. 

• Like 1

Janeway

Cool. Does this company make a 45cm body? or do they have parts for the obitsu 45cm body?

chef_mai
3 hours ago, Janeway said:

Cool. Does this company make a 45cm body? or do they have parts for the obitsu 45cm body?

They don't make 45cm thighs, but you could swap the torso to Dollypop (SS/SL bust + 50cm abs + 50cm hips), and it'd probably work out well. See my March 24th post where I made a hybrid 45cm Dollypop body.

The main difference between 45cm and 48cm dolls is primarily in the thighs and arms. The overall torso length is the same across 45/48/50 cm afaik.

Edited by chef_mai

Janeway

Was wondering if l can buy there 48cm parts from them?

I ordered a obitsu 48 body (head included) from 1999 for 160.00.

Edited by Janeway

chef_mai
3 hours ago, Janeway said:

Was wondering if l can buy there 48cm parts from them?

I ordered a obitsu 48 body (head included) from 1999 for 160.00.

Are you talking about Obitsu internal skeleton parts for 48/50cm bodies, or do you mean the Dollypop-specific parts like the outer skins?

Janeway

chef_mai l mean the outer skin from dollypop for the 48 obitsu body (3 part skin)

chef_mai

Yep, you can order a 3-piece torso set that'd work for a 48cm body and keep it in the "slim" category. Order one of the busts, the 50cm abs/belly and the 50cm hips. The owner will confirm any questions you have about compatibility before you order.

Janeway

Chef_Mai how do l order this? I don't read Japanese. 

chef_mai
On 12/30/2022 at 9:48 AM, Janeway said:

Chef_Mai how do l order this? I don't read Japanese. 

Send an e-mail to them to order. Everything's outlined in the How to Buy section above, but if something's unclear, let me know.

If it helps, let me know what you plan to order, and I can write the e-mail for you to send.

Most browsers like Chrome will auto-translate the page for you, so you never need to read Japanese unless it's part of an image.

Edited by chef_mai
  • Like 1

chantelle

On the contact page theres this note about the email address:

XiaFXih.png

DeepL Translation:

wLkaPAx.png

Would anyone know what they mean by half-width characters?

I noticed the @ symbol they use (@) is actually different than the one my keyboard uses (@). Would this happen to do anything with the note?

bananaaether

Yeah, they just have their email listed with a unique @ symbol so that spam bots can't easily harvest it. Just type it out with a normal @. 

• Thanks 1

chantelle
2 hours ago, bananaaether said:

Yeah, they just have their email listed with a unique @ symbol so that spam bots can't easily harvest it. Just type it out with a normal @. 

Thank you so much! 😄

Edited by chantelle