Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Hanyuu

How do you handle your dolls?

Hanyuu

Hello!

I always handle my dolls with cotton gloves since, when I was originally looking into the hobby, I read all about how easily soft vinyl can absorb oils and other sorts of dirt. Now that I am ordering new outfits and see that people casually handle their dolls with their bare hands, I was wondering if it really is okay to handle them without any thought before hand? Do any of you do anything before handling your dolls or no?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

DesertPhantom51

Their bodies and clothes I just wash my hands really well up to my wrists.  I do not touch their faces directly unless absolutely necessary (moving hair for photos).  I have had my first doll for over four years now handling her in this way and I've had no problems with staining or other things.  Clothes are much more likely to be a problem than your hands as long as you wash up before handling them.  IMO

• Like 1

baldylox

I used to worry about stains and dirt and breakage all the time but over the years my concerns have waned due to finding out how resilient and tough these girls really are.  😉  I do make sure to wash my hands before I handle any of them because who knows what I get on them during the day.  But I've never used gloves and never will.  That is, for me personally, a bit too much because it takes away from my girls being more "alive" to me.  Handling them like expensive collectibles isn't what I want for them.  They need to be handled and played with and dressed up and taken outside for photos and meets because they deserve it.  They are extensions of me and don't need to be cooped up in the house and sitting on a shelf.  That's no fun!  They want to be played with and spoiled and go out to see the world!  :) 

Not that handling them with gloves is wrong.  People can handle their girls however they like.  Keeping them in cases and never taking them outside is fine too.  But just not for me.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Billy

• Like 7

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

battrastard

I have never used gloves for my Kiddos, A good handwashing is good enough, in my experience. I do a lot of heavy maintenance on my vehicles, and working on aircraft doesn't help on keeping clean hands. (Also, I've been a heavy smoker, but I've tapered off and vape now) UsuallyI use the same formula for washing my hands that I use for washing off dust/minor dirt on the Kiddos: a mild dishwashing detergent, like Dawn. It doesn't take much at all, and I've never left a stain on any of them! (that's reserved for cheap clothing I've bought without washing them first!) 

Honestly, it's all going to come down to personal preference. Do what works that you'e comfortable with. 

• Like 2

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

OccultBeast

I'm also in the same camp as baldylox!  Years ago when I got my first resin dolls, I was to be the person that washed my hands and wore gloves every time and was so afraid of damaging them.  Now, after ten years in the hobby, I couldn't care less.  I mean, I still make sure my hands are clean (because vinyl especially will grab any amount of colour off your hands), but I don't wear gloves or anything like that.  Anything that I could do to them can be fixed.  I grab my girls off their stands all the time without worrying about being too rough or anything like that.  I'm more careful with my Miku because she's the older DDIII body and thus more prone to cracking, but I don't worry at all about my f3 girls.  I also touch their faces if I need to, especially my MDD since I painted her faceup myself.  If I ruin it, it's no big deal for me to fix or redo her entirely!  I often touch their cheeks or thighs and pat them gently on the head.

I think you only need to worry about oils from your hands if you're particularly oily or sweaty, and one would assume you wouldn't handle your dolls with hands in those conditions anyway.  Even years of handling your dolls with bare hands shouldn't cause any damage, so it's best to just enjoy them to the fullest however you want!

• Like 5

diastrefo

I use cotton gloves with all my dolls (both resin & vinyl) if I'm really grabbing at them - ie getting them out of their box, disassembling, posing them in a way where I'm grasping their entire upper body or leg, etc - and especially if I am touching their faces. For everything else, minor posing with arms, hands, feet, or (some) dressing, then just a good hand wash before to be sure is sufficient. I only really handle without gloves if the gloves will impede my dexterity - trying to fasten itty bitty buttons or lacing with mediocre-at-best fitting cotton gloves is not worth it.

Edited by diastrefo
  • Like 1

Hanyuu

Thank you for your responses, truly!

I think what baldylox said about gloves taking away how alive they are is one of the reasons I asked the initial question. Some of the dresses I have are very soft, yet wearing cotton gloves just completely removes any sense of feel. I think I will start being a bit more careless with them from now on knowing they won't crumble to dust under my touch.

• Like 1

moerunamida

I live dangerously; I touch my dolls with reckless abandon unless I just ate something greasy or put lotion on. Custom face ups get treated more gingerly as I try not to touch the face at all. Like baldylox said, these dolls are pretty resilient. You will deal with stains eventually, but as you deal with them the more comfortable you get with treating them. Enjoy your dolls as much as you can. ♥ My girls all get head pats and the occasional hug.

Edited by Eighteafive
  • Like 2

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

BeyondTime

I'd do wash my hands, but I don't wear gloves to handle the doll body. I do wear gloves when handling outfits, because I find that any roughness to my fingertips snags the material and damages the fabric. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Riesz

I use cotton gloves if I'll be handling their bodies extensively but it usually doesn't seem necessary while I'm dressing them since my hands barely touch their skin. Like others, I just wash my hands beforehand in those cases.

ragnamuffin

I also wash my hands before handling them (sometime multiple times between taking pictures and changing clothes), but have been considering getting gloves.

Mega Negi

no gloves for me, but all of my dolls are in bodysuits.